Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Schwack posted:

Oh my god, I want this a lot. Watching Manziel get levelled by Bowman, Smith, Bennet and Avril 4 times a year would be magical.

This but Manziel torching those teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So Tajh Boyd travels in style to his autograph signings these days

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Atticus Finch posted:

I want to see Manziel vs the NFC West.

I'm so ready to see that little turd get shell shocked into becoming the new Gabbert. :getin:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
You can't get shell shocked into being Gabbert, you're born with a fear of phantom linemen.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Grittybeard posted:

You can't get shell shocked into being Gabbert, you're born with a fear of phantom linemen.

Lol. Tell that to Russell Wilson against the Rams or Kaep against the Seahawks.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Chichevache posted:

I'm so ready to see that little turd get shell shocked into becoming the new Gabbert. :getin:

Johnny loving Football doesn't experience or understand fear at all. He's a loving real man

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Does he understand broken tibias?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

Johnny loving Football doesn't experience or understand fear at all. He's a loving real man

He may not, but the team doctor is supposed to.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Azhais posted:

I hope he didn't take out too much of a loan for that.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
COME SEE FUTURE CFL BACKUP TAJH BOYD

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Azhais posted:

this screams "good decision making"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

No Butt Stuff posted:

this screams "good decision making"

Yeah, just a limo service at least and not a true bonehead move of buying one, but it doesn't really lead me to think he's gonna be wise with his money

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.

Azhais posted:

I know the family that owns this service. I assure you it was donated/they are dumb.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

the second part is pretty much a duh

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Groucho Marxist posted:

What the heck there are people saying Jake Locker isn't garbage and they don't have UW avs

Actually we'd be the first ones to tell you that he's garbage hth

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Manoueverable posted:

This is a significant departure from times past.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Grittybeard posted:

This is a significant departure from times past.

Well okay, I can't speak for the other Husky posters, but I've thought he sucked poo poo since I started posting here. I was cautiously optimistic but had a definite feeling that he'd suck in the NFL

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
This is a reddit post, but does he have a point?

quote:

The following are notes I've observed breaking down over 70 hours worth of official coach's tape on Teddy Bridgewater with the guidance of a regional scout for an NFL team not located here in Colorado. The notes were reviewed and signed off by him.

Teddy Bridgewater played in a system that rotated around five or six plays that could be run out of a given formation. Which play was run was determined pre snap on how the defense was covering the tight end and whether the opposing defense was pressing or playing soft.

This system allowed for incredibly easy three level reads (very similar to what Harbaugh ran with Alex Smith in San Francisco) giving Teddy a safety valve in the flats, a medium crossing route, and a deep route. Teddy would then IDENTIFY THE OPEN RECEIVER (this is important and I will explain why in the next post) and deliver him an on time, in stride, precision pass.

The biggest difference between the pro game and the college game when passing the football is in college, you throw to an open reciever, but in the pros, you throw to an open spot. In the most simple terms I can provide, a QB in the National Football League MUST be able to throw a ball accurately with zip and hit a receiver in stride before the receiver even comes out of his break. This is what analysts refer to when they talk about a QB's ability to "Anticipate a route".

When you take a look at the college film of every "Can't miss" prospect who actually panned out (and even guys like Brady and Montana who weren't can't miss but proved to be elite talents) they all have one thing in common: they had excellent anticipation, even in college. A perfect example of this is the flag route Brady threw in the Orange bowl for a touchdown. The ball is heading for the back of the endzone on the receiver's second to last step before he breaks on his route. Montana showed it at Notre Dame, Russell Wilson showed it everywhere he played, Elway was notorious for it at Stanford and the announcers would often refer to his passes as "indefensible", Luck did the same thing at the same school. I have not seen Bridgewater prove he is capable of this kind of anticipation. He was asked at his pro day to throw the ball before receivers came out of their breaks by NFL personnel. That's why he struggled so bad.

Despite the mother sub's infatuation with Teddy, you must understand that the media anointed him, and that most NFL scouts already had Teddy graded as a mid to late second round pick.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Blitz7x posted:

It that's true, then Teddy's agent is an idiot. 99% of the QBs pro days are heavily scripted affairs that visiting coaches are there to observe.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I dunno, I defer to someone who goes through that much actual tape, but I dislike cherry picking. It's easy now to say "look at this throw Tom Brady made once, I always knew he'd be great" but scouts did not think he'd be great. I also did not see much in the way of anticipation throws from Wilson at NC State, before he went to Wisconsin, so I dunno about "everywhere he played".

Manziel certainly did not throw with anticipation often, he mostly just found the open receiver and threw to him, on the fly.

I really want to go through the games again.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 3, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Super basic, but when you watch Bridgewater throw hooks, the ball is on its way before the receiver turns. It's not like he's incapable of throwing the ball before his receiver is in position to make the play. He throws his receivers open all the time. There's so many throws he makes downfield where the receiver has to adjust his body to make the play on the ball, and as he does it, you see how it was placed in the perfect position where only the receiver could get to it, and he does it while getting his face smashed in as he throws. His receivers were terrible, so given the amount of chemistry and timing he managed to get with them, I don't see an inability to put the ball in the open spot as his downfall. I think it's more working with your receivers every day and knowing when they're going to cut and where to put the ball for them rather than just some quality of a quarterback that he either has or doesn't. I'm not going to just discount someone who is basing their opinion on that much film, but it seems awful hindsighty and pseudo-scientific to start talking about what distinguished Brady and Wilson (who still struggles with basic ball placement) from the nobodies.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I dunno, I defer to someone who goes through that much actual tape, but I dislike cherry picking. It's easy now to say "look at this throw Tom Brady made once, I always knew he'd be great" but scouts did not think he'd be great. I also did not see much in the way of anticipation throws from Wilson at NC State, before he went to Wisconsin, so I dunno about "everywhere he played".

Manziel certainly did not throw with anticipation often, he mostly just found the open receiver and threw to him, on the fly.

I really want to go through the games again.

The line "The biggest difference between the pro game and the college game when passing the football is in college, you throw to an open reciever, but in the pros, you throw to an open spot" really stands out to me. I can't think of a single pro offense that I've seen where it's an either/or thing.

I'm not an elite reddit poster, but including his description of Teddy's pro day as unscripted, it looks a lot like BS to me.

Butthead
May 31, 2011
Let it go man, it's water under the bridge.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiCbkuuX6oo&t=70s

1:10

Also 1:50

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 3, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Forgot how much I love this dude. He's got an end that pulled off the line and is blitzing him right up the middle, a hitching receiver who is blocking his field of view to his target receiver, and he's staring down the far right receiver running the deep route. There's no way he could see the target accelerate out of his break, and he still puts the ball perfectly in place between a billion people. I don't buy it at all. This dude can put the ball where only his receiver can make a play on it in the NFL.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

If he makes it past the Vikings at 8, gently caress everything.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Coldforge posted:

If he makes it past the Vikings at 8, gently caress everything.

Vikings keep saying they don't want a first round QB and they want to trade down, so :iiam:

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Boy, did that RB #28 miss his block, while 3 linemen are blocking #73.

Butthead
May 31, 2011
Nothing anyone says right now can be trusted. For all we know, the Packers are trading up for Clowney, Manziel is regarded as a 3rd round prospect, and Mike Evans is consensus higher than Sammy Watkins.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Azhais posted:

Vikings keep saying they don't want a first round QB and they want to trade down, so :iiam:

"No no, honestly, Texans/Jaguars/Raiders/Bucs! It's perfectly safe to pass on a QB with your first pick. We definitely won't take our choice of best QB on our board at 8, nope, nosiree. They'll still be there for you in round two. Totally safe."

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

OperaMouse posted:

Boy, did that RB #28 miss his block, while 3 linemen are blocking #73.

Well, 3 try to, only one actually manages to engage him.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Azhais posted:

It seems like just about every mock draft has them taking a QB at eight though, and I can't imagine the guys like Kiper and McShay don't have some inside info on stuff like that.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

IcePhoenix posted:

It seems like just about every mock draft has them taking a QB at eight though, and I can't imagine the guys like Kiper and McShay don't have some inside info on stuff like that.

Given how bad most mocks end up being I don't know that's a safe bet.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Now why would the Minnesota Vikings draft a quarterback when they have noted studs Matt Cassel and Christian Ponder

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

Blitz7x posted:

This quote is 100% bullshit.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LEGO Genetics posted:

Now why would the Minnesota Vikings draft a quarterback when they have noted studs Matt Cassel and Christian Ponder

Man gently caress off Scott Pioli, I thought I was done dealing with you :mad:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

LEGO Genetics posted:

Unless Norv has fallen in love with some day 2 guy

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Manoueverable posted:

No gently caress you me first

He's garbage!!

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
At this stage, I'm hoping all the talk connecting Bortles to Minnesota is coming from the same sources claiming that the Vikings were enamored with Te'o last season. I keep reading things about how Bortles is a perfect fit for Turner's offense and how he wants to play for the Vikings, which all sounds good on the surface, but then the more I look into him as a prospect, the more I think that he has a high likelihood of busting. He's raw, he has major mechanics issues, and while his ceiling is technically high a lot would need to go right in order for him to come anywhere near that ceiling.

That Reddit critique of Bridgewater was interesting. I've read scouting reports before that have complained about his tendency to wait for receivers to come open rather than anticipate routes, which is something that is easier to get away with in college, but is a lot harder to do consistently against NFL defenses. The comments claiming that Louisville's offense only ran 5 or 6 plays out of different looks are interesting, but I haven't watched them closely enough to say if that is true. I'm also curious about the claims that the offense was designed for the QB to make simple reads, so if true, I am not sure how big of a concern that is. It is pretty much a requirement for me that a QB needs to be able to go through their progressions, because watching the past few years of Ponder made it clear how horrible it is for a QB to just make a read before the snap and just stare down the receiver. Cassel looked a lot better than Ponder in large part, because he would actually make his second or third reads and not stare down his target all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Aniki posted:

The comments claiming that Louisville's offense only ran 5 or 6 plays out of different looks are interesting, but I haven't watched them closely enough to say if that is true.-

Louisville is probably running packaged plays, which a lot of pro teams are starting to do now. It's basically a meaningless criticism.

Edit: If the guy is trying to answer "why did Teddy have a bad pro day," he's making it way too difficult. Lack of glove + some instances of really bad feet (probably because of nerves).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53UMp-cKzEU

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 3, 2014

• Locked thread