Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
You guys have really weird standards.

The Honorable Mention is for one thing. You nominate it for the matches that JUST BARELY miss that MOTYC nomination. That's it. It is NOT for matches you think that were just really fun. It is NOT for a match that you thought somebody should just go out of the way to see. It is just for those matches that were just shy of hitting that level of MOTYC in your mind.

Was the Sheamus/Barrett match something you REALLY think was just short of the best match of the year? To each their own but I think goons get a little too excited sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
The same people that overrate Barrett overrated a match of his? Shocking.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Daniel Bryan posted:

The same people that overrate Barrett overrated a match of his? Shocking.

You're just mad he kicked you out of Nexus :smug:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Oh hey is it time for this argument again?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Some people in this thread have incredibly low standards and will nominate a women's match just because it didn't suck.

e: And the loving video game nominations

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 23, 2014

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Flameingblack posted:

Some people in this thread have incredibly low standards and will nominate a women's match just because it didn't suck.

This post for HM.

that comes off as me agree'ing with you when I'm just making an ironic joke

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

Flameingblack posted:

e: And the loving video game nominations

It's the sort of thing where people are either going to have very low standards or very high ones, yet everyone thinks they're being reasonable. For example, I personally consider Triple H vs Daniel Bryan at Wrestlemania an HM. I don't typically go by star ratings, but since a lot of people do I would think of HM as roughly akin to ****1/4, which is just shy of MOTYC (which would be for ****1/2 or above). So, with that in mind:

HM: Monster Express (Akira Tozawa, Masato Yoshino & Shingo Takagi) vs Millennials (Eita, Flamita & T-Hawk) vs Mad Blankey (BxB Hulk, Cyber Kong & Naruki Doi) vs Jimmyz (Jimmy Kagetora, Jimmy Kanda & Mr. Kyu Kyu Naoki Tanizaki Toyonaka Dolphin) - 04/08 Dragon Gate: The Gate of Passion

Easily missed in the wake of Wrestlemania 30, this match was perhaps the most "fun" match put on by all the wrestling feds of note in April. It's a 4-way trios match where exiting the ring counts as a tag, but the fact that it's held under elimination rules is what prevents it from turning into a trainwreck of breakup attempts. It runs about 40 minutes, and while there are a few meandering bits in the middle it's got a bit of everything: brawling on the outside, comedy that's actually pretty funny, power moves, stiff kicks and chops, and let's not forget about the dives and flip sequences since this IS Dragon Gate, after all. Everybody is crisp and on-point, but Flamita in particular just absolutely sticks those landings and makes it look easy. Cyber Kong--who despite his Sharpie-enhanced musculature has always struck me as being in Ultimate Warrior tribute mode due to his boots, rope shaking, shoulder tackles, and gorilla presses--seems particularly foked for this engagement. I'm presumably just seeing what I want to see, since the 13-hour time difference between here and Japan means I don't think they'd have heard of Warrior's death by bell time. The finale is pretty much 15 minutes of non-stop fast-paced excitement. It may not be for everyone since they're using moves on the caliber of standing Shooting Star Presses and Go To Sleeps for transitions, but it's definitely up my alley.

So yeah, that's my idea of "HM."

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Daryl Surat posted:

It's the sort of thing where people are either going to have very low standards or very high ones, yet everyone thinks they're being reasonable. For example, I personally consider Triple H vs Daniel Bryan at Wrestlemania an HM. I don't typically go by star ratings, but since a lot of people do I would think of HM as roughly akin to ****1/4, which is just shy of MOTYC (which would be for ****1/2 or above). So, with that in mind:

HM: Monster Express (Akira Tozawa, Masato Yoshino & Shingo Takagi) vs Millennials (Eita, Flamita & T-Hawk) vs Mad Blankey (BxB Hulk, Cyber Kong & Naruki Doi) vs Jimmyz (Jimmy Kagetora, Jimmy Kanda & Mr. Kyu Kyu Naoki Tanizaki Toyonaka Dolphin) - 04/08 Dragon Gate: The Gate of Passion

Easily missed in the wake of Wrestlemania 30, this match was perhaps the most "fun" match put on by all the wrestling feds of note in April. It's a 4-way trios match where exiting the ring counts as a tag, but the fact that it's held under elimination rules is what prevents it from turning into a trainwreck of breakup attempts. It runs about 40 minutes, and while there are a few meandering bits in the middle it's got a bit of everything: brawling on the outside, comedy that's actually pretty funny, power moves, stiff kicks and chops, and let's not forget about the dives and flip sequences since this IS Dragon Gate, after all. Everybody is crisp and on-point, but Flamita in particular just absolutely sticks those landings and makes it look easy. Cyber Kong--who despite his Sharpie-enhanced musculature has always struck me as being in Ultimate Warrior tribute mode due to his boots, rope shaking, shoulder tackles, and gorilla presses--seems particularly foked for this engagement. I'm presumably just seeing what I want to see, since the 13-hour time difference between here and Japan means I don't think they'd have heard of Warrior's death by bell time. The finale is pretty much 15 minutes of non-stop fast-paced excitement. It may not be for everyone since they're using moves on the caliber of standing Shooting Star Presses and Go To Sleeps for transitions, but it's definitely up my alley.

+1 nth

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Daryl Surat posted:

Mr. Kyu Kyu Naoki Tanizaki Toyonaka Dolphin

what

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Daryl Surat posted:

Yeah, second for sure. It was a great match.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

Well, you see, the Jimmyz is a stable comprised of guys who lost stipulation matches in which the losers had to get their names changed to whatever the winners decided. But the winners kept insisting people be renamed "Jimmy," so now they all have that somewhere in their name. Except for Naoki Tanizaki, because once he lost one such match, rather than rename him Naoki Jimmy, the victor said Naoki's name henceforth was "Mr Kyu Kyu Toyonaka Dolphin" because "he cries 'kyu kyu,' like a dolphin." (To add insult to injury, the person who beat him, Takuya Tomakomai, had renamed himself "Naoki Tanizaki" and was impersonating him Fake Undertaker style.) Swearing revenge upon the man who stole his name and turned him into a dolphin, Mr. Kyu Kyu Toyonaka Dolphin defeated the imposter Naoki Tanizaki and renamed HIM "Mr Pii Pii Tomakomai Penguin." But you can't just then go back to using your old name anymore since A STIPULATION IS A STIPULATION DAMMIT, so now he's "Mr. Kyu Kyu Naoki Tanizaki Toyonaka Dolphin." And "Mr Pii Pii Tomakomai Penguin" is now "T-Hawk.'"

It's quite simple.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Daryl Surat posted:

Well, you see, the Jimmyz is a stable comprised of guys who lost stipulation matches in which the losers had to get their names changed to whatever the winners decided. But the winners kept insisting people be renamed "Jimmy," so now they all have that somewhere in their name. Except for Naoki Tanizaki, because once he lost one such match, rather than rename him Naoki Jimmy, the victor said Naoki's name henceforth was "Mr Kyu Kyu Toyonaka Dolphin" because "he cries 'kyu kyu,' like a dolphin." (To add insult to injury, the person who beat him, Takuya Tomakomai, had renamed himself "Naoki Tanizaki" and was impersonating him Fake Undertaker style.) Swearing revenge upon the man who stole his name and turned him into a dolphin, Mr. Kyu Kyu Toyonaka Dolphin defeated the imposter Naoki Tanizaki and renamed HIM "Mr Pii Pii Tomakomai Penguin." But you can't just then go back to using your old name anymore since A STIPULATION IS A STIPULATION DAMMIT, so now he's "Mr. Kyu Kyu Naoki Tanizaki Toyonaka Dolphin." And "Mr Pii Pii Tomakomai Penguin" is now "T-Hawk.'"

It's quite simple.

Oh my god that is amazing.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Daryl Surat posted:

It's quite simple.

I feel like I'm losing a lot by not knowing Japanese. Holy poo poo.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
You guys regularly come up with the wackiest poo poo in TEW threads, and this somehow tops that.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Sounds like typical DDT. Except it's not DDT which makes it crazier since DDT is supposed to be the insane promotion.

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

Testekill posted:

Sounds like typical DDT. Except it's not DDT which makes it crazier since DDT is supposed to be the insane promotion.

Dragon Gate has it's fair share of great comedy stuff like the Florida Brothers and Stalker Ichikawa.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Daryl Surat posted:

It's quite simple.

how can i nominate this for MOTY because i really want to

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

that's a post not a match so you can't

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
HM: Solar vs. Negro Navarro - Masked Mania, 4/27

A clinic along the lines of Johnny Saint/Johnny Kidd.

The ECW Arena crowd has been throwing money into the ring for 15 minutes in appreciation, something I never thought I'd see.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

EugeneJ posted:

HM: Solar vs. Negro Navarro - Masked Mania, 4/27

A clinic along the lines of Johnny Saint/Johnny Kidd.

The ECW Arena crowd has been throwing money into the ring for 15 minutes in appreciation, something I never thought I'd see.

Where can I see this match?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

God Of Paradise posted:

Where can I see this match?

http://highspots.tv/ippv-masked-mania-4-27-2014/

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I hope that comes out on DVD. The card sounds fun, and I love me some Americanized lucha.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I hope that comes out on DVD. The card sounds fun, and I love me some Americanized lucha.

I'm pretty sure that everything airing on Highspots iPPV gets turned around within two weeks on DVD. Sometimes it's less than a week.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
MOTY: Honma vs Ishii Wrestling Dontaku 5/03

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

HM: Honma/Ishii - NJPW Wrestling Dontaku 5/3/14

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

SaberToothedPie posted:

MOTY: Honma vs Ishii Wrestling Dontaku 5/03

Yes, second!

oatgan posted:

Wait um. Second?

No, NO! MOTY. What a sprint. Brutal in parts but loving awesome.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

oatgan posted:

Seconding this one, not quite there for MOTY for me so I'll give it an Honourable Mention.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
HM: Okada/AJ Styles - NJPW Wrestling Dontaku 5/3/14

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

SaberToothedPie posted:

Yeah agreed

oatgan posted:

also agreed with with this

Bard Maddox fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 3, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SaberToothedPie posted:

Oh poo poo that was today? Who won? Okada, right? :ohdear:

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Jerusalem posted:

Oh poo poo that was today? Who won? Okada, right? :ohdear:

AJ

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

SaberToothedPie posted:

Second. Just saw it, thought it was excellent (maybe a little better than some folks are saying even).

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

SaberToothedPie posted:

ditto

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Yep, nth on AJ/Okada. Right man won.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I've been thinking about it for awhile and I want to nominate Bully Ray vs. Bobby Roode Tables Match from TNA Sacrifice 4/27/2014 for WMOTYC because that whole match was crap and then the hilariously bad ref bump and the confusing ending with Dixie and the ref not even being up to see that Bully Ray went through a table just makes it a big pile of poo poo.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I remember why I hate updating these threads.

Being added to the OP are the ones with a "~"

quote:

STUFF THAT WAS MISSED

MOTYC
Yuji Nagata vs. KENTA - 02/22 NOAH: The Second Navigation
AJ Styles vs Michael Elgin - 03/29 ROH TV

HM

Uhaa Nation vs Ricochet - 03/06 Dragon Gate
Roderick Strong vs. Chris Hero - 03/07 ROH Raising the Bar Night 1
Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson vs. Kyle O'Reilly & Bobby Fish - 03/07 ROH Raising the Bar Night 2

Super cool matches being nominated now

1 HM Nom: Chris Hero vs. Masato Tanaka - 04/04 DGUSA: Open the Ultimate Gate
~4 MOTYC Nom: Ricochet vs. Johnny Gargano - 04/04 DGUSA: Open the Ultimate Gate 2014
~4 WMOTYC Nom: Rolles Gracie & Daniel Gracie vs. Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka - 04/06 NJPW Invasion Attack
2 HM Nom: Tomohiro Ishii vs Tetsuya Naito - 04/06 NJPW Invasion Attack
2 MOTYC Nom: Tomohiro Ishii vs Tetsuya Naito - 04/06 NJPW Invasion Attack
~4 HM Nom: Doc Gallows & Karl Anderson vs. Katsuyori Shibata & Hirooki Goto - 04/06 NJPW Invasion Attack
~3 HM Nom: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Shinsuke Nakamura - 04/06 NJPW Invasion Attack
2 MOTYC Nom: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Shinsuke Nakamura - 04/06 NJPW Invasion Attack
~20 MOTYC Nom: Daniel Bryan vs. Triple H - 04/06 WWE WrestleMania XXX
1 HM Nom: Andre the Giant Battle Royal - 04/06 WWE WrestleMania XXX
~15 HM Nom: John Cena vs. Bray Wyatt - 04/06 WWE WrestleMania XXX
~7 HM Nom: The Undertaker vs. Brock Lesnar - 04/06 WWE WrestleMania XXX
~4 WMOTYC Nom: The Vickie Guerrero Divas Championship Invitational - 04/06 WWE WrestleMania XXX
~21 MOTYC Nom: Randy Orton vs. Batista vs. Daniel Bryan - 04/06 WWE WrestleMania XXX
~3 HM Nom: Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins & Dean Ambrose vs. Kane, Road Dogg & Billy Gunn - 04/06 WWE WrestleMania XXX
~7 HM Nom: Jimmy Uso & Jey Uso vs. Diego & Fernando vs. Cesaro & Jack Swagger vs. Ryback & Curtis Axel - 04/06 WWE WrestleMania XXX
2 MOTYC Nom: The Vickie Guerrero Divas Championship Invitational - 04/06 WWE WrestleMania XXX
2 HM Nom: John Cena, Sheamus & Big E vs. Bray Wyatt, Luke Harper & Erick Rowan - 04/07 WWE RAW
~7 HM Nom: Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins & Dean Ambrose vs. Bray Wyatt, Luke Harper & Erick Rowan - 04/08 WWE Main Event
1 HM Nom: Kyle O'Reilly & Bobby Fish vs. Alex Koslov & Rocky Romero vs. Hanson & Raymond Rowe - 04/04 ROH Supercard of Honor
2 HM Nom: Jay Briscoe vs. Adam Cole - 04/04 ROH Supercard of Honor
~6 MOTYC Nom: Kevin Steen vs. Michael Elgin - 04/04 ROH Supercard of Honor
~5 HM Nom: Roderick Strong vs. Cedric Alexander - 04/04 ROH Supercard of Honor
~4 HM Nom: Adam Page, BJ Whitmer & Jimmy Jacobs vs. Andrew Everett, ACH & Tadarius Thomas - 04/04 ROH Supercard of Honor
~4 WMOTYC Nom: Diva's Championship #1 Contendership Battle Royal - 04/15 WWE Main Event
~4 WMOTYC Nom: Dalton Castle vs. Greg Iron vs. AR Fox vs. Isys Ephex vs. Dick Justice vs. Colin Delaney vs. Captain Nick Ando - 04/18 2CW Living on the Edge
~4 WMOTYC Nom: Punisher van Slyke & Kevin Graham vs. Sean Carr & Kage - 04/18 2CW Living on the Edge
~4 HM Nom: AJ Styles vs. Johnny Gargano - 04/18 2CW Living on the Edge
~3 HM Nom: Bad News Barrett vs Sheamus - 04/21 WWE RAW
~3 HM Nom: Akira Tozawa, Masato Yoshino & Shingo Takagi vs. Eita, Flamita & T-Hawk vs. BxB Hulk, Cyber Kong & Naruki Doi vs. Jimmy Kagetora, Jimmy Kanda & Mr. Kyu Kyu Naoki Tanizaki Toyonaka Dolphin - 04/08 Dragon Gate: The Gate of Passion
~3 HM Nom: Tomoaki Honma vs. Tomohiro Ishii - 05/03 NJPW Wrestling Dontaku
2 MOTYC Nom: Tomoaki Honma vs. Tomohiro Ishii - 05/03 NJPW Wrestling Dontaku
~5 HM Nom: Kazuchika Okada vs. AJ Styles - 05/03 NJPW Wrestling Dontaku

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 3, 2014

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

KungFu Grip posted:

I've been thinking about it for awhile and I want to nominate Bully Ray vs. Bobby Roode Tables Match from TNA Sacrifice 4/27/2014 for WMOTYC because that whole match was crap and then the hilariously bad ref bump and the confusing ending with Dixie and the ref not even being up to see that Bully Ray went through a table just makes it a big pile of poo poo.

For whatever it is worth Meltzer who I thought in general overrated things on the PPV gave that match **3/4. Wade Keller on the other hand gave it -** as it exposed the business to such a degree.

It is 2014 and everything and it is all out in the open but Wade is right in my view. Suspension of disbelief was absolutely killed. Even if it was on the same as the Committed match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh. :smith:

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
MOTYC: WEELC, Extreme Rules 2014 4/4/14

Adbot