Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

pizzaman5000 posted:

I would love to know how you sold this in, since I'm in a similar situation myself.
I did a part-time LLM a couple of years ago (and got far better grades) with the express purpose of having some tangible proof that I'm not as academically hopeless as my undergrad results would suggest.

Apart from that, I made sure that every other part of my application were as good as they could be (GMAT score of 770, essays tailored specifically to Oxford's focus, excellent recommendations and so forth).

Edit: I'm still not sure whether listing "raid leader and guild officer in World of Warcraft" in the interests section of my CV worked for or against me. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oliax
Aug 19, 2011

Bavaro-Mancunian
Friendship Society

Ephemeron posted:

Edit: I'm still not sure whether listing "raid leader and guild officer in World of Warcraft" in the interests section of my CV worked for or against me. :D

If you really listed it, then it definitely worked for you. When you have to read the numbers of applications that admission readers do, unusual quirks of that sort become key to setting apart one candidate from another. (Mind you, it may brand you as a hopeless nerd completely unsuited for the program, but of course you don't care about that, because the bland everyman candidate isn't getting in either.)

Have fun in Oxford. If you haven't already, try to hunt down Inspector Morse / Inspector Lewis series on Amazon Prime (or your favorite streaming site), they view like one long tourist video for Oxford.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
I'm finishing up my first year in a few weeks, and it's been bizarre how I really thought I was going to specialize in marketing, but now really kind of want to do finance. What has happened to me?

SnarkyHipster
Feb 14, 2014
I'm about to graduate undergrad (early May) and I've been given a choice of starting in mid-June or the end of July. The job is a rotational program designed to last two years, and I have every intention of getting my MBA at its conclusion. I have gently caress all to do inbetween my graduation and the start of my job. Since I've heard that GMAT scores are valid for 5 years, would it be smart to take this time to study and take the GMAT? Would 6 weeks be enough time? Should I delay my start to July? Or is it too early to even consider the GMAT. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

lolercoasterrr
Mar 27, 2006

lololololololololllllll
I graduated in May 2009 and took my test in August 2009 after 4 intense weeks of studying (I got a 760, granted I started my diagnostic at a 720...).

If you are positive you are going to school within 5 years then I would absolutely take it now. I've heard from a lot of friends bitching about studying for the test while working. However make sure you apply to bschool with at least a extra year to spare in case you don't end up getting in anywhere (that happened once to me when I only applied to 2 schools), so you can reapply the next year.

J4Gently
Jul 15, 2013

Ephemeron posted:

I did a part-time LLM a couple of years ago (and got far better grades) with the express purpose of having some tangible proof that I'm not as academically hopeless as my undergrad results would suggest.

Apart from that, I made sure that every other part of my application were as good as they could be (GMAT score of 770, essays tailored specifically to Oxford's focus, excellent recommendations and so forth).

I know of a few people that were definitely helped by solid masters results to offset below average undergrad GPAs.

Leading people in the old 40 man wow raids on a consistent basis is a truly impressive skill.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Ok so I'd like some advice, though firstly I need to say I'm from the UK so things may be slightly different.

I left university from an OK uni with a degree in politics and international relations. After leaving I joined a national retail company in their customer service call centre as an agent. I got onto their management development scheme and then got put forward for a role as an internal auditor.

So for the last 2 years I've been working as an internal auditor, but last year I was asked if I wanted to get some extra qualifications. At first CIMA or AAT or something was suggested, but I don't want to be an accountant and an internal audit specific qualification (like IIA) seemed to pidge on hole me. I always found management of people fascinating and found a local university offering an MBA course.

My managers had to argue the toss to get me on it, but it's a part time course lasting 3 years, my justification was it took the same time and cost just as much as CIMA. So currently the company is paying for it.

So I've been doing my MBA for a while now and I enjoy the content, but after a bit of research it seems to me that the reason the MBA is cheap is due to the fact the university isn't considered very good. It also seems to me that the lecturers or the content isn't as challenging as I thought it would be, but that could just be my assumptions about course content on an MBA.

I'm coming to the end of my first year, but I'm wondering if it's worth getting an MBA from a university without a good reputation, or whether it's worth opting to get a diploma after year 2 and then getting a better paid job and seeing if I can complete the MBA somewhere else at my own expense.

Does where you get the MBA from matter that much that it would be worth me delaying getting it and paying for it myself over getting a "free" one from somewhere not as good?

Frost000
Jan 10, 2004

Kitchner posted:

Does where you get the MBA from matter that much that it would be worth me delaying getting it and paying for it myself over getting a "free" one from somewhere not as good?

It really depends on what you want to do post-MBA. If you're quite content with staying at the same company but moving up its ranks, might as well complete what you've started. Especially if it's not that much of a burden.

If you're planning on changing companies/roles/industries/etc, then it might be worth it to get an MBA from a better school but it's tough to say. Having an MBA from a much better program won't automatically get you a better job. It might help in giving you a nudge in the right direction, though.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I think I'd be happy staying at the company I'm in, but if I'm totally honest I don't think in 3 years time I'll have much open to me. I don't think they'd make me head of internal audit (because I think they'd hire externally from the big 4 again), I reckon I'd stand a shot at head of compliance but the guy has been working for the company for like 12 years so he's not going anywhere.

Originally the plan was to get the MBA and then look elsewhere (unless I get a decent pay rise or a promotion). I'm just worried that if I complete the MBA then it's "ruined" my chance to get one from a good business school if that makes a big difference.

Hired_Sellout
Aug 16, 2010

Smeef posted:

Fall 2014 entry, but if I'm accepted to Johns Hopkins as well I will be deferring as part of the dual-degree program. I've been in Asia for 4 years and have been to Singapore a few times. I had great times on all my trips and never understood the haters. I guess old reputations die hard.

Which Hopkins program? I graduated from the full-time MBA at Carey last year, and can provide a first-hand account if you're on the fence between JHU and INSEAD.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Hired_Sellout posted:

Which Hopkins program? I graduated from the full-time MBA at Carey last year, and can provide a first-hand account if you're on the fence between JHU and INSEAD.

SAIS. It's a SAIS MA + INSEAD MBA dual-degree program. (FYI, I did get into SAIS and will be doing the dual degree.)

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Smeef posted:

SAIS. It's a SAIS MA + INSEAD MBA dual-degree program. (FYI, I did get into SAIS and will be doing the dual degree.)

Isn't it literally an MA + MBA course without any compression in graduation time?
I'm curious what you're hoping to get out of it considering the job markets for MA and MBA graduates are largely disjoint.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

shrike82 posted:

Isn't it literally an MA + MBA course without any compression in graduation time?
I'm curious what you're hoping to get out of it considering the job markets for MA and MBA graduates are largely disjoint.

The dual degree certainly isn't for everyone, but in my case it makes a lot of sense. Length varies. Mine will be 2 years total since I'm entering with a ton of coursework waived. Most do it in 2.5 years. The MA has a flexible focus. Mine will be almost entirely advanced econ and finance focused. Doing both will position me better for what I want to do — impact investing, emerging market PE, or possibly IMF/World Bank work. I talked to a few people who've done the dual degree and a lot of people at companies I'm interested in, and they all said it would be worth the additional time and money... which in my case still ends up being cheaper than (and as short as) a straight MBA from another top tier school. On top of all that, I felt like just the 10-month INSEAD program would put too much pressure on me to find a job quickly.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Fair enough. I agree with you about ~1 year programs, namely INSEAD, being too short.

Velochis
Apr 4, 2002

We go play hope
Any thoughts on the importance of the "Prestige of an online MBA? I work for a fortune 500 company and don't really intend to leave, but want an MBA for career progression. I already have an M.S. in statistics and experience as a rated officer in the Air National Guard.

I have been looking at three schools for an MBA:
State University (Name omitted to protect the innocent)
Pros:
-'Ranked' full time MBA (generally top 50), generally well respected.
-In the same city as where I live / work, so the fact that it was online wouldn't be obvious when looking at my resume.
Cost:
-Normally ~40k, but after GI bill and employer reimbursement it would be ~0-5k out of pocket.

Arizona State University
Pros:
-Generally top 25 full time MBA, apparently #2 online MBA
-Within a five hour drive from where I live, so I would be able to make weekend orientations and such for minimal cost.
Cost
`Normally 55k, but after GI Bill/Employer it would be 10-20k our of pocket.

Washington State University
Pros:
-Generally top 25 full time MBA, apparently #1 online MBA
Cost
`Normally 45k, but after GI Bill/Employer it would be 0-10k our of pocket.

University of Wyoming
Pros:
-100% free, don't even need to use employer tuition reimbursement or GI bill. (It's complicated)
Cons
-While it is accredited, Wyoming isn't ranked in any metric, also it has prereqs for the online MBA so it would take me an extra semester to complete.

Any advice?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Velochis posted:

Any thoughts on the importance of the "Prestige of an online MBA? I work for a fortune 500 company and don't really intend to leave, but want an MBA for career progression. I already have an M.S. in statistics and experience as a rated officer in the Air National Guard.
Any advice?

If you're planning on staying with the company then the MBA is as much about networking as anything else. I'd just go to the highest rated local school that offers a part time/evening MBA program. That way you'll be taking classes with other people from your company and the area.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.

Velochis posted:

Any advice?

As has been said you miss the networking and the social interactions and the groupwork components. That is pretty much a deal breaker.

If you wanted to do an MBA while still working then I would find one that offers evening classes eg: http://msb.georgetown.edu/mbaep are evenings. Eg Wharton also does an evening program. I did mine in an evening program with intensive weekends - that just happens to be the main way MBAs are done in Australia.
Also Arizona State offers an evening program.

If you want to do something that is remote ie online learning, then pick something technical that has a physical show up and do it exam. That will count for something. If you want to keep within the theme of an MBA you could focus on an accounting or finance certification. I am not sure what would be suitable to you though. The https://www.cfainstitute.org is one example of a read these books, sit this test but it is not suitable unless you want to get into wealth management / securities trading etc. Notwithstanding that the CFA is an online program, it has a fair amount of prestige associated with it.

Velochis
Apr 4, 2002

We go play hope
I prefer an evening mba, but they tend to be cohort based and unfortunately I am deploying with the national guard next Spring.

This would mean I couldn't start an evening mba till Jan of 2016. I could have an online one completed by then!

I work for a major engineering company and want to move into management.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
is a part time mba while working a job that might feature 3-5 days a week of travel basically impossible/soul crushing?

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

The Stern part time program is at your own pace if that helps. You can take as few as two years and as many as six years to finish, and i believe you can take up to a year off without having to reapply.

Edit: it is classroom based and at least in my experience you would have a hard time doing the program if you're traveling. The lectures are recorded but since professors have fairly strict attendance policies. YMMV.

J4Gently
Jul 15, 2013

Xguard86 posted:

is a part time mba while working a job that might feature 3-5 days a week of travel basically impossible/soul crushing?

I did my MBA part time at night while working full time but the job had no travel. At the minimum you would need to be around for the classes, but with group work and other requirements it is helpful to be local.

I would not attempt it with so much travel. It was bad (soul crushing) enough without travel

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Xguard86 posted:

The group work would probably prevent that from being possible.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

Is it local travel where you'll be in your own bed at night? Or leaving the area?

Similarly, is it every week or just 1-2 weeks a month?

I did my part time MBA while traveling 1-2 weeks a month. I had to stay on top of things and adjust my travel schedule somewhat but it was workable. One thing that helped was I avoid Tuesday or Wednesday night classes as much as possible. It is much easier to work a travel schedule around not traveling on Monday and/or being home for Thursday evening than it is to make it to midweek classes on a regular basis.

Poop Faerie
Jun 22, 2009

shrike82 posted:

Fair enough. I agree with you about ~1 year programs, namely INSEAD, being too short.

I'm heading into my final 2 months at INSEAD and I can say it really isn't that bad. It all seems super overwhelming at first, but the coursework and recruitment are fairly well balanced to keep it not bad. The recruitment season is a blur, and is stressful, but totally manageable.

Note I'm a July grad - the December grads who are looking for internships over the summer do have a difficult time - banking internships, for example, are literally in the first two months of being here. Not necessarily what we're known for, though, so not too many doing that. I heard some rumors that some internship recruitment started even before classes.

The joint program is great, I've met a couple doing it.

Frost000
Jan 10, 2004

I just had a quick question for the MBA veterans. During your program, did you find that students with non-traditional backgrounds (i.e. limited math/financial background) had a much tougher time than regular students?

If so, what kind of work or preparation could one do before starting their own program?

I'll be starting in September and other than the GMAT, I haven't done much math at all since high school. I scored decently, but still. I'll be taking a "Math for Management" course over the summer (it's an obligation on behalf of the program), but I'd love to brush up on other stuff if at all possible before entering the belly of the beast.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Frost000 posted:

I just had a quick question for the MBA veterans. During your program, did you find that students with non-traditional backgrounds (i.e. limited math/financial background) had a much tougher time than regular students?

If so, what kind of work or preparation could one do before starting their own program?

I'll be starting in September and other than the GMAT, I haven't done much math at all since high school. I scored decently, but still. I'll be taking a "Math for Management" course over the summer (it's an obligation on behalf of the program), but I'd love to brush up on other stuff if at all possible before entering the belly of the beast.

I have a background in humanities, and first I would take some kind of accounting class before going in. It's not really a question of math/not-math, it's just a really unique system of logic and the vocabulary it uses sometimes goes against common understanding. Also some stats. I have not exactly struggled but did not grasp as much of either as I had liked, but a lot of that was going overboard on extra curriculars to boost the resume, which paid off for the internship. So it's a balancing act and it really depends on your program's classes and your own resume when trying to land an internship. I don't particularly care that I can't remember the journal entry for 'allowance for doubtful debts'

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Registering for the GMAT. Gonna take it in 10 days. I am a foolish man.
:shepspends:

Edit:
Haven't studied for it at all.
My employer is likely going to reimburse me for an evening program at a school ranked in the top 20 for part-time programs. I probably don't need Harvard scores here. Look forward to me coming back in in a couple weeks regretting my stupidity.

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 5, 2014

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

Frost000 posted:

I am just wrapping up my first year of my MBA program and I came from a Communications background. I have limited math and financial experience and for me it was learning all of the terminology. The math is fairly simple, but it's knowing all of the formulas and when to use it. The best thing you could do is read about accounting and finance to acclimate yourself into the language.

If I could do it again, I'd have purchased a used textbook from a couple years ago and just read about the basics of accounting and finance. Understanding how assets = liabilities + equity is the basis of all accounting, and how it affects the rest of the financial statements.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
I have a question for any alumni from Stern: What was the most meaningful class you took and in your experience, who was your favorite professor?

I have an opportunity to come audit a few classes and I want to make them count.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
How is stanislaus as a school? It's close by which is a huge plus.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Studying for the GMAT right now and enjoying my white and/or American privilege.
It doesn't look too bad, but the verbal section has got to be crazy hard for students who speak English as a second language.

Don't worry. I'll capture the point loss in the quantitative section. :haw:

edit: I just took the practice test from the official software. I got a 730 :toot:
If I end up getting anything close to that on the actual GMAT tomorrow, I will be a very happy man.
I have studied crammed for 3 total days starting last Friday by just poking around the beatthegmat forums.

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 14, 2014

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

canyoneer posted:

edit: I just took the practice test from the official software. I got a 730 :toot:
If I end up getting anything close to that on the actual GMAT tomorrow, I will be a very happy man.
I have studied crammed for 3 total days starting last Friday by just poking around the beatthegmat forums.
From what I heard, GMATPrep practice test result is generally 20 points above what you would get if you took a real test that day.
My admittedly limited experience confirms this.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Ephemeron posted:

From what I heard, GMATPrep practice test result is generally 20 points above what you would get if you took a real test that day.

GMAT Prep is as close to the real thing as you can get. I'd say a range of +-20 is accurate. My limited experience confirms the other end of the range :smug:

MGMAT on the other hand... Math is way harder than the real thing.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Ephemeron posted:

Well, the real thing is +\- 20 points depending on several variables.

GMATPrep should be pretty drat accurate. From what I've seen, score variations tend to occur when people don't treat the practice test like the actual thing, i.e. skipping the essay and IR sections.

Manhattan's tests are pretty good, but as mentioned the quant section tends to skew tough. My company's adaptive algorithm tends to give more aggressive swings in difficulty, but the end result tends to fit that +/- 20 point window.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Call me an outlier. Just took the test today, and got a 690. 40 points below my practice test score :smith:
I felt like I was doing poorly the whole time. Oh well. That's still 87th percentile, and that's probably Good Enough (TM) for the schools I'm looking at. :unsmith:

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

canyoneer posted:

Call me an outlier. Just took the test today, and got a 690. 40 points below my practice test score :smith:
I too did below my practice test score. The electronic practice tests (and the paper ones, obviously) are not adaptive, so towards the end of the math section I got several questions I could not solve in the amount of time allotted.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

canyoneer posted:

I felt like I was doing poorly the whole time.

That's the adaptivity at work. I got a 780 and felt that way on the quant side.

Also, I think any decent practice test is adaptive by now

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I have a very specific question I hope someone can help with, otherwise I'll drop it in the general grad school megathread.

I am an employee at a small (fully accredited) university. We just started an MSOL program which according to my research is similar but not quite equivalent to an MBA. It seems like a good fit for my needs. Because I'm an employee I can get the entire 12-month program for a base tuition of about $2,000. Two thousand. It seems like an awesome deal. Applicants don't need any exams and my GPA from undergrad is more than enough to qualify me.

My question is two-fold. One, if I do this will I be screwing myself somehow if I decide to pursue additional degrees in the future? My plan is pay this 100% out-of-pocket but I'd need loans for anything beyond the MSOL. Would I be locking myself out of eligibility by already having one degree? Two, is this even a worthwhile use of my time? The school has a decent word-of-mouth and review reputation but we're quite small (you don't know us). Is earning this degree going to count the same way as a degree from, I don't know, any other school that's not in the top ranking tiers? Does it look weird on a resume to have a degree from your employer (my instinct is actually the opposite but I have no reference)?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
What does MSOL stand for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Ten seconds on wikipedia:

The Master of Science in Organizational Leadership (MSOL) is a multidisciplinary master's degree in leadership studies.[1][2][3][4][5][6][7]

It is an alternative to, not a substitute for, the traditional Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree. The MSOL degree is multidisciplinary and focuses more on people and organization issues, and relatively less on business topics such as finance, accounting and marketing. (For example, the MSOL will offer courses in psychology and philosophy as well as courses in business and management.) Also, The MSOL degree is intended for those who are already established in a career, while, in contrast, those who are preparing to enter the world of work or change careers often seek an MBA degree.

I've been working in education administration for a while now and it's looking more and more like a career.