Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Ignimbrite posted:

Stick to the outer edges and angle your camera down slightly, it'll help contrast the fuckers so you can see them a little better. Bring some ranged attacks to pick them off / goad them into attacking you too.

Also apparently if you hit the trees with the faces carved into them it distracts them.

I just booked it until I found the path out of there. I went in not knowing there were loving invisible dudes and got backstabbed opening a chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
So, I'm at nearly 3M soul memory and I was kind of thinking of going for the Sunlight Spear rank 3 thing. Where would I be summoned most often?

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.
So which one of you jerks was bellbroing as Batman with double caestus, throwing knives, and cape?

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!

Lagonazer posted:

If your weapon has good scaling (I'd say at least B), then you should not infuse. If it has C or less, then infusing with lightning or raw can boost damage.

Thanks, it's got an A for Str scaling so I'll leave it. :)

God drat this game is a lot of fun.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

Works fine for me.

Hmm, can't get past the title screen over here. Says the service is unavailable. East coast US for what it's worth.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Cicadalek posted:

For the "get all hexes/sorceries/miracles" achievements, do you have to get them all on one character?

Yes.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I don't know what was going on with my fight with the Lost Sinner, but the boss kept breaking my target lock for some reason. Got me killed more than once.

And I'm still committed to playing through with the Greatsword, but holy poo poo the Large Club rules. Why doesn't the Greatsword knock people to the ground like that?

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Hmm, can't get past the title screen over here. Says the service is unavailable. East coast US for what it's worth.

Same here, and same coast.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Professor Wayne posted:

I don't know what was going on with my fight with the Lost Sinner, but the boss kept breaking my target lock for some reason. Got me killed more than once.

Her boss room is dark (unless you light the torches), so you have a pretty short lock-on range.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RBA Starblade posted:

Well its working for me. Of course, I say that having just come out of a PvP match in which I was OHKOd by the biggest bullshit. Guy starts charging up sunlight spear, so I walk away behind a building where he can't possibly hit me. He throws the spear, it whiffs and hits the building, and then in a split second it changes direction and crashes into me. :what:

Think I'm done with bell busting for now.

Professor Wayne posted:

She jumps just far enough away to break lock on range. Its pretty annoying.

EDIT: Holy poo poo.

I decided to use the last of my red eye orbs and invaded a guy iron keep called Solid Snake. I look around and don't see him anywhere. Then as I'm walking along the bridge it lowers into the lava and instakills me. I look up and realize the Alonne Knight standing next to the lever was actually the player :cripes:

EDIT 2: Avelyn is such a dumb loving weapon why did they put it back in.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 3, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Darkstorm is hilariously strong. I think once I get one more attunement slot, I'll replace Firestorm, and use Darkstorm and Great Resonant Soul together.

Internet Kraken posted:

Well its working for me. Of course, I say that having just come out of a PvP match in which I was OHKOd by the biggest bullshit. Guy starts charging up sunlight spear, so I walk away behind a building where he can't possibly hit me. He throws the spear, it whiffs and hits the building, and then in a split second it changes direction and crashes into me. :what:

Think I'm done with bell busting for now.

You know, I've been saying that I can't get much pvp in anymore, but maybe I should stop trying to get the drop on people through bell invasions and just sit in the belltower. Though I'm only a handful of kills away from the final rank of it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

RBA Starblade posted:

Same, even though their website says the pc servers are up :iiam:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mighty Dicktron posted:

The Executioner's Chariot is probably one of my favorite bosses in the series now, too. Now that's a puzzle boss actually supported by this series' design.

Executioner's Chariot is the closest anything has come to toppling Maiden Astraea from the pillar of #1 Boss, for me. Admittedly the latter is my tops for atmosphere and impact, not mechanics (loving plague babies :argh:), but still.

Too bad Chariot is so hard to phantom for :(

(edit) seriously listen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9piElENpvmM

:allears:

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW

voltron lion force posted:

Same, even though their website says the pc servers are up :iiam:

I'm Euro and I haven't been able to get on since yesterday. I am very upset, I'm out of ascetics and need to get human :zombie:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

So I beat the Pursuer and the Dragonrider solo. Admittedly the Dragonrider was so easy since I just cheesed him by blocking literally every attack and then poking him during his resets. Then I went and fought the Dragon Slayer and, well, the blocking strategy no longer works to put it mildly. His hits take off twice as much stamina as the rider. I called it quits after playing all morning after dying to him twice.

But hey, baby dark souls player is growing up so fast.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Okay I'm in Bightstone Cover, and I got to a fog gate which apparently leads to a miniboss prowling magus, but I can't pass the fog gate. It just won't let me, no explanation. I'm in offline mode (servers down, apparently) if that makes any difference. What the hell?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

For what it's worth, I'm in South America and I can't connect to the servers too.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Professor Wayne posted:

And I'm still committed to playing through with the Greatsword, but holy poo poo the Large Club rules. Why doesn't the Greatsword knock people to the ground like that?

Poise breaking has felt really weird to me from the start. You can stagger almost any enemy with a regular loving dagger but they can take Zweihander R2s like champs. :psyduck:

And it's only the great clubs that knock over people, no other weapon I've tried manages that, so it's not like they were trying to avoid the DS1 Zweihander issue.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Ciaphas posted:

Executioner's Chariot is the closest anything has come to toppling Maiden Astraea from the pillar of #1 Boss, for me. Admittedly the latter is my tops for atmosphere and impact, not mechanics (loving plague babies :argh:), but still.

Too bad Chariot is so hard to phantom for :(

(edit) seriously listen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9piElENpvmM

:allears:

Astraea and Old Monk are seriously just so hard to beat in terms of coolness it's unreal. Both atmospherically and for what they do with the game's systems design wise, it's just unfair to all the other bosses in the series.

I'd like Chariot more if you didn't have to punch the dumb horse after you make it crash through the gate.. It'd be a much tenser fight without the annoying trashmobs.

Demon's Souls is just the tops :allears:

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.

Artificer posted:

Anyone here use Sunlight Spear in PvP or PvE? How does it fare? 55 faith, 2 slots for 3 uses seems like a hell of a lot of investment. Is it worth it?

A ways back but...

Anyone who is halfway competent at the game is going to dodge every single one, that said, the game is full of retarded people right now so I've been experiencing some great success with it. I basically rushed to 50 faith and the heirs to the sun covenant(started game, went straight to heides and through to harvest valley) as fast as I could plus got the +5 faith ring just so I could have the Sunlight Spear as fast as possible and it has been amazing. I think I had the spear at like Soul Level ~65, I just finished the game and am at SL 154 atm and I can honestly say that the sun spear has never left my attunemnet slots.

In PvP its not terribly useful. Most people can dodge it pretty easily, additionally it has a fairly long cast time and you only have a few uses so you need to time it carefully. I usually wait until the other dude stops to use an item or cast a spell. The upshot is that from SL 65-125, any solid hit one-shots anyone and everyone, it was glorious. A blocked spear was still usally 50%+ of their hp. Even now, I love seeing caster opponents because when they stop to cast I can hit them with a spear and one-shot them. I can usually take whatever they dish out with the help of Great Magic Barrier. So in PvP it can be a fun gimmick, but its nothing to plan around.

In PvE on the other hand, its freaking amazing. Like 80% of bosses are weak to lightning and I don't think any are resistant to it so the spear just melts bosses. I think I killed the final boss in 4 sunlight spears and like 3 or 4 great lightning spears, maybe a 20 second fight all told, it was absurd. In solo play 4 sun spears is usually enough to take off 1/2 to 2/3s of a bosses hp. Good fun.

If you are planning to grab the sunlight spear, consider getting the Saint's Set from the miracles chick. It gives you one more cast per miracle, really nice for those low cast number miracles like sun spear, lightning weapon, and great magic barrier.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Stiggs posted:

Is it worth infusing my weapons with anything if I'm a strength only character? My int and faith are at 3 and 6, so infusing with an element doesn't seem great. Maybe raw?

Not for regular use.

The only exception is you should probably keep one fire-infused and one lightning-infused weapon (plus maybe a poison one), for bosses that are weak to a specific element type. You can find a fire longsword, a poison broadsword and a lightning winged spear during the course of playing the game, though.

(If you were making your own, I'd probably reverse those - stuff that's vulnerable to fire in this game tends to resist slashing damage, and stuff that's vulnerable to lightning tends to resist crushing damage.)

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Are the knights at the beginning of Shrine of Amanna unparryable? I'm normally really drat good at it and I haven't been able to do it even once.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Why do my r1's with uchi sometimes do less damage on the same enemy? For example the lion warrior guys, some hits do 171 and some do 262. Is there locational hitboxes in ds2 or something I never noticed?

I know that halberd does less damage if you hit them with the handle, maybe it's like that?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

THE PWNER posted:

Why do my r1's with uchi sometimes do less damage on the same enemy? For example the lion warrior guys, some hits do 171 and some do 262. Is there locational hitboxes in ds2 or something I never noticed?

I know that halberd does less damage if you hit them with the handle, maybe it's like that?

The direct hit system - which is why the halberd hits harder with the blade - is in every weapon in this game.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

THE PWNER posted:

Are you running out of stamina? The last attack you do to empty the bar does less damage.

^^^^^ or that.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Heliosicle posted:

Does any one have tips for the Pilgrims of the Dark tasks? I'm losing to the very first bit every time and I've gone through 20 human effigies.
Whenever you can, cheese dudes by knocking them off cliffs. As far as actually fighting them, the tanky dudes were the biggest problem for me, but magic spam worked. If you can't range them, I think it's just a rough fight.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

laplace posted:

I'd like Chariot more if you didn't have to punch the dumb horse after you make it crash through the gate.. It'd be a much tenser fight without the annoying trashmobs.

How would the chariot fight be at all tense without the skeletons?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Red Crown posted:

I really hate how much better the Mace is than a lot of other melee weapons in PvE. My guy is Dex based and I've been using various rapiers for most of the game, but I basically have to default to my Raw Mace in Iron Keep and Drangelic Castle because thrust/slash damage is so incredibly ineffective. Even then, there's some serious "go gently caress yourself if you're tanking mostly by rolling" in that second area.

e: For that rear end in a top hat room with a bunch of guys with absurdly long spears: They can't open doors, so if you awaken and lure the three with shields into the adjacent room and shut the door, life gets easier.

The mace only really shines against bosses and fuckoff armored enemies, I found the range and moveset to be kind of lovely when compared to swords.

Ice Fist posted:

So I beat the Pursuer and the Dragonrider solo. Admittedly the Dragonrider was so easy since I just cheesed him by blocking literally every attack and then poking him during his resets. Then I went and fought the Dragon Slayer and, well, the blocking strategy no longer works to put it mildly. His hits take off twice as much stamina as the rider. I called it quits after playing all morning after dying to him twice.

But hey, baby dark souls player is growing up so fast.

It's probably good to think of the Dragonrider as the blocking boss and the Dragonslayer as the dodging boss. Dragonslayer has a lot of telegraphed forward pokes that are easy to roll out of the way of at any agility level. Probably the best boss in the game to start learning how to go shieldless.

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 3, 2014

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Is Halberd durability bugged? You can lose 30+ durability in a fight other weapons will lose 4 in without even hitting walls.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

THE PWNER posted:

It's speculated that armor value is locational based. So if you hit them in the head or legs or arms it does more than chest and breaks their poise easier. Poise and defence is not all added up according to some tests with arrows.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Martman posted:

Whenever you can, cheese dudes by knocking them off cliffs. As far as actually fighting them, the tanky dudes were the biggest problem for me, but magic spam worked. If you can't range them, I think it's just a rough fight.

Managed to get the Drangleic one done just using Force to knock them off.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
loving server has to go down when I'm ratin' it up.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

THE PWNER posted:

Seems like distance matters, and I really notice it while fighting multiple enemies; a swing will kill the closest one but not kill the one behind it.

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe

KoldPT posted:

So, I'm at nearly 3M soul memory and I was kind of thinking of going for the Sunlight Spear rank 3 thing. Where would I be summoned most often?

Assuming you're in at least NG+, Old Dragonslayer will get you a pretty steady stream of invites. It's how I did it on both PS3 and PC.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

After Smelter Demon, the loving Old Iron King is such a loving pathetic joke. I beat it on my first try holy poo poo. They really should have switched the two, one was the hardest boss yet and the other the easiest. God drat.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

THE PWNER posted:

Third possible answer, the higher damaging hits are counters. You don't usually notice counters but katanas have pretty high counter damage at 130 (and the uchi has 150!). A counter is hitting the enemy while it's in the middle of an attack.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Amppelix posted:

Third possible answer, the higher damaging hits are counters. You don't usually notice counters but katanas have pretty high counter damage at 130 (and the uchi has 150!). A counter is hitting the enemy while it's in the middle of an attack.

Wow there's a bunch of mechanics I didn't know about. I get the feeling a lot of this poo poo was already in DS1, a game I played for 300 hours, and I never noticed.

I'm so embarrassing.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

THE PWNER posted:

Wow there's a bunch of mechanics I didn't know about. I get the feeling a lot of this poo poo was already in DS1, a game I played for 300 hours, and I never noticed.

I'm so embarrassing.

The sweet spot thing has actually been in since Demon's. Same with counters, IIRC.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Carecat posted:

Is Halberd durability bugged? You can lose 30+ durability in a fight other weapons will lose 4 in without even hitting walls.

You're probably hitting enemies with the shaft of your halberd rather than the actual blade. Happens a bit with my black knight halberd. Try backing up a little from enemies and you won't see as much durability getting eaten up. You'll also do more damage, since actually hitting enemies with the pointy bit does more than whacking them with the pole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

kazil posted:

How would the chariot fight be at all tense without the skeletons?

Because the Skeletons actually interrupt the flow, and most of the time just end up dying to the Chariot itself. It becomes much more interesting and tense if you were to remove the skeletons, maybe space the doors out a little bit more, in order to create an isolated experience between you and instant death instead of the fight just being "punch some skeletons in a doorway, and then kill a horse."

Sure, the Chariot is an ever-present threat but making the direct threats the skeletons (who can just gently caress you over by preventing you from getting to Cover) it removes the action from the Chariot and makes the chariot into an environmental factor as opposed to a direct aggressor.

I like the fight but it felt more like fighting skeletons than it did facing the actual Chariot because of that.

laplace fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 3, 2014