Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Manatee Cannon posted:

Speaking of the Lost Sinner, what does lighting the torches do? I went back to that near the end of the game and all they did was light the boss room up.

It lights the room and causes the boss to be a little bit slower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Woohoo! Got sunbro with only 81k soul memory. Time to go sunbro for Last Giant! :toot:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://omgftw.github.io/DarkSouls2CensorCheck/

Name checker! :toot:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I love how poo poo like "Thomas" and "Knight" gets hit but the censor is lax enough that "suc a coc" is allowed. Automated censors in general are pretty much a lost cause unless you main then insanely strict.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

DSauer posted:

This is just the best thing ever:

Everyone with voice chat who summons me loves it, "A punching clown? Are you kidding me!"

Dark Souls II has no heroic knights in shining armor.

It has heroic knights in clown suits.

Seriously, best summon pals I've had have nearly all been wearing this.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Mazed posted:

Dark Souls II has no heroic knights in shining armor.

It has heroic knights in clown suits.

Seriously, best summon pals I've had have nearly all been wearing this.

Havel armor with Smelter Demon helmet, Gyrm Greatshield, Black Knight halberd = no summmons.

Strip naked and put on a Tseldore hat while two-handing a pirate hook = immediate and constant summons.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

I'd really say this is OP worthy so people can check their names before they end up as ****** ******.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Elysiume posted:

The only good reason I can think of for soul memory is to prevent low-level invasions (regardless of how people feel about low-level invasions). I'm of the opinion that once you get to 500,000 SM (or some other arbitrary low-midrange number), SM restrictions should be massively loosened or entirely removed. It is a bad mechanic.

There are three problems with SM instead of SL as a mechanic.

First of all, it punishes bad players by bumping them up ranks. Because it's souls obtained (and not souls spent, which would be way better) if I get on a roll, pick up 100k souls, and then die twice, I find myself in the big boy pool with all those people who didn't die like a chump, which means they're higher level than me AND better at the game.

Not to mention making it souls obtained and not spent means you can't have a set level for PvP, which means if you want to play with a bunch of like-minded competitors at, say, SM 500,000, you get to choose between remaking your character and playing through the game again every fifteen matches or so, and cheating. When a system encourages cheating, it generates cheaters. After all, as long as you're in the workings of your save file fixing your SM level, why not give yourself a few more Large Titanite Shards to round out your equipment.

Finally, it's much, much easier to cheat your way into low level fights with high level characters when the system checks SM instead of SL. Comically easy, in fact. Doing low level invasions with a geared character in Dark Souls was a pain. In Dark Souls II, it's a breeze.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I don't know about you but if I was Sunbroing and the host got invaded by a blue phantom I would let him die. That's what you get sinner. :colbert:

I just got done killing two sunbros plus the host at the Dragon Shrine. Guilt by association bitches.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Dreggon posted:

Havel armor with Smelter Demon helmet, Gyrm Greatshield, Black Knight halberd = no summmons.

Strip naked and put on a Tseldore hat while two-handing a pirate hook = immediate and constant summons.

We oughtta start calling good white phantoms Birthday Bros. Because they're either a birthday clown or wearing their birthday suit. :haw:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mystic Mongol posted:

There are three problems with SM instead of SL as a mechanic.

First of all, it punishes bad players by bumping them up ranks. Because it's souls obtained (and not souls spent, which would be way better) if I get on a roll, pick up 100k souls, and then die twice, I find myself in the big boy pool with all those people who didn't die like a chump, which means they're higher level than me AND better at the game.

Not to mention making it souls obtained and not spent means you can't have a set level for PvP, which means if you want to play with a bunch of like-minded competitors at, say, SM 500,000, you get to choose between remaking your character and playing through the game again every fifteen matches or so, and cheating. When a system encourages cheating, it generates cheaters. After all, as long as you're in the workings of your save file fixing your SM level, why not give yourself a few more Large Titanite Shards to round out your equipment.

Finally, it's much, much easier to cheat your way into low level fights with high level characters when the system checks SM instead of SL. Comically easy, in fact. Doing low level invasions with a geared character in Dark Souls was a pain. In Dark Souls II, it's a breeze.

Couldnt agree more. SM being souls spent rather than souls picked-up seems like such a simple fix, conceptually. I wonder if somehow it wasnt mechanically doable?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Even if it was souls spent it still punishes experimentation.

The way I see it, DS1 had the right idea: they just forgot to take into account equipment, spells and other stuff that matters just as much as your level. Perhaps even PVP experience too. They could calculate a character rating with those variables and use that to match you with similar players.

It'd be more effort than Soul Memory but I think it could be a good balance between both systems.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hopefully Beast Souls will turn out to be the best. Please please please.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

rear end-Haggis posted:

Oh there's plenty worse than that, brother.
I used a thing called GeDoSaTo for increasing the prettiness of DS2 and that is flagged by VAC. Now I have a VAC ban incoming for my account and cannot summon, invade, or be summoned or invaded in DS2 anymore. You can still see ghosts and bloodstains, and read and write messages, but anything involving interacting with players is disabled on that Steam account forever. Not even a Bone of Order fixes that poo poo, like it would anyway.

In addition to the other problems, I think this release hasn't been a very good one considering you can get a VAC ban for a graphics mod.

You can't get it for adjusting numerical values, though! You shouldn't have cheated by adding shading effects, you should have just given yourself a few dozen twinkling titanite like an honest player.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is there any reason to care about the darkity dark dark covenant once he's given me his chime and I've bought everything he's selling?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Elman posted:

Even if it was souls spent it still punishes experimentation.

The way I see it, DS1 had the right idea: they just forgot to take into account equipment, spells and other stuff that matters just as much as your level. Perhaps even PVP experience too. They could calculate a character rating with those variables and use that to match you with similar players.

It'd be more effort than Soul Memory but I think it could be a good balance between both systems.

There's no need for anything complicated. Soul Memory as is works perfectly fine, the problem is where the cutoff is. The idea that, after 12 Million Soul Memory everyone is just dumped into the same bracket is good! The problem is that that it happens much too late. After SL 150~, the limiting factor is far more gear slots than stats so the cutoff should really be pushed way way down. 2 mil, 3 mil, somewhere in that range.

They're not going to make Souls Spent the defining factor because then you just have DS1 again, and the whole point is to make twink invading scrub rear end newbies impossible.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DSauer posted:

This is just the best thing ever:

Everyone with voice chat who summons me loves it, "A punching clown? Are you kidding me!"

I love how despite using double fists I still get summoned a ton as a sunbro. I expected people to look at my pugilist astronaut and ignore it in favor of some guy with a huge sword, but people put a surprising amount of faith in my fists of space justice.

Dandywalken posted:

Couldnt agree more. SM being souls spent rather than souls picked-up seems like such a simple fix, conceptually. I wonder if somehow it wasnt mechanically doable?

It almost certainly was, but changing it to being souls spent allows people to cheese the system permanently. Right now you can set up a dickwraith to torture low level players, but eventually that character is going to get pushed out of their SM range. How long it takes depends on how early you're willing to stop progressing in the game, but even if you did nothing but invade eventually you will get pushed up in terms of SM. If it only counted souls spent, you could just throw away all your souls aside from those used to upgrade your gear and hit minimum stat requirements. Then your dickwraith would be a killing machine with a super low SM.

The problem here is that it will take ages for a low level invader to get pushed up in SM purely through invasions, so a bunch of people are going to have to deal with that anyways. Second, there's nothing stopping you from just making a new character. If someone was truly dedicated to the art of loving over newbies, the soul memory system doesn't keep them from doing this.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Is there any reason to care about the darkity dark dark covenant once he's given me his chime and I've bought everything he's selling?

Nope. It's basically just a PVE side-quest in the form of a covenant. You can use the ring/all items/spells associated with it without remaining in the covenant.

Internet Kraken posted:

If someone was truly dedicated to the art of loving over newbies, the soul memory system doesn't keep them from doing this.

It doesn't stop higher skilled players from invading people, that's true. But what it does stop is someone who deliberately stayed at a low SL but has endgame, upgraded equipment and spells from invading someone. It's not the best system but it at least tries to level the playing field.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I love how despite using double fists I still get summoned a ton as a sunbro. I expected people to look at my pugilist astronaut and ignore it in favor of some guy with a huge sword, but people put a surprising amount of faith in my fists of space justice.

It almost certainly was, but changing it to being souls spent allows people to cheese the system permanently. Right now you can set up a dickwraith to torture low level players, but eventually that character is going to get pushed out of their SM range. How long it takes depends on how early you're willing to stop progressing in the game, but even if you did nothing but invade eventually you will get pushed up in terms of SM. If it only counted souls spent, you could just throw away all your souls aside from those used to upgrade your gear and hit minimum stat requirements. Then your dickwraith would be a killing machine with a super low SM.

The problem here is that it will take ages for a low level invader to get pushed up in SM purely through invasions, so a bunch of people are going to have to deal with that anyways. Second, there's nothing stopping you from just making a new character. If someone was truly dedicated to the art of loving over newbies, the soul memory system doesn't keep them from doing this.

Yes it does. It's functionally impossible to twink invade newbies due to a combination of limited Cracked Red Eye Orbs and Soul Memory. These two things in conjunction mean that to get more Orbs, you're going to have to raise your SM. There's just no way around it.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

I've been sunbroing the pursuer on ng+ sitting at 134k soul on hand and nothing to spend them on :( I need to get back my arrow merchants

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Monowhatever posted:

I've been sunbroing the pursuer on ng+ sitting at 134k soul on hand and nothing to spend them on :( I need to get back my arrow merchants

Just level up, there's no reason not to. Soul level does nothing for matchmaking.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Reason posted:

I thought that the whole point of VAC was to discourage people from cheating in all Steam games? Why should people who are VAC banned get to play DS2 online with all the non-cheaters?

Older VAC (and maybe newer) could flag you simply for happening to have a debugger open and running on another game. In other to mod the game or develop tools for it.

You are making a mistake if you think VAC is even remotely perfect and won't ban you for completely innocent stuff. There is a reason people are terrified of using GeDoSaTo.

This is not even counting the fact that VAC is supposed to apply on a per-game engine basis.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 4, 2014

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I imagine there's nothing stopping someone from just reducing their Soul Memory with cheat engine or some such. Save files are stored on your PC, not on Steamworks.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

There absolutely isn't, which is why VAC on Dark Souls 2 is absolutely worthless as a preventative measure.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yes it does. It's functionally impossible to twink invade newbies due to a combination of limited Cracked Red Eye Orbs and Soul Memory. These two things in conjunction mean that to get more Orbs, you're going to have to raise your SM. There's just no way around it.

Cracked red eye orbs aren't limited. You can get an infinite amount of them from dueling in the arena. It just takes significantly more effort compared to what you could do in Dark Souls. You might not be able to invade people that literally just started, but you can easily manage your SM well enough to access the arena while still being at a low enough SM to invade the worlds of low level players.

So its harder, but not impossible. And with all the horrid problems the soul memory system introduces, that really isn't acceptable.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Signs have a bad habit of disappearing right before you can actually use them, so it's entirely possible they're just going for what's available.

That said, the point still stands. With almost 100% consistency, the best summoned players are those with weird setups rather than optimal-seeming ones. If someone is making the choice to play that way, they're either very skilled, or if not so skilled, at least intent enough about working through self-handicaps that they'll actually put effort into things, which the same can't often be said for joe shmoe greatsword.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Are there any other straight swords that share a moveset with the Shortsword and the Foot Soldier's Sword? I love the moveset, but could stand to have more durability than the measly 20 on the FSS.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Tallgeese posted:

There absolutely isn't, which is why VAC on Dark Souls 2 is absolutely worthless as a preventative measure.

Enjoy getting VAC banned and coming here to whine about it I guess.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

armoredgorilla posted:

Are there any other straight swords that share a moveset with the Shortsword and the Foot Soldier's Sword? I love the moveset, but could stand to have more durability than the measly 20 on the FSS.

The Sunlight Straight Sword has the thrusting heavy attacks.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mazed posted:

Signs have a bad habit of disappearing right before you can actually use them, so it's entirely possible they're just going for what's available.

That said, the point still stands. With almost 100% consistency, the best summoned players are those with weird setups rather than optimal-seeming ones. If someone is making the choice to play that way, they're either very skilled, or if not so skilled, at least intent enough about working through self-handicaps that they'll actually put effort into things, which the same can't often be said for joe shmoe greatsword.

Oi, I use the greatsword. :(

That said, both the large club and greatsword are proving tiresome as far as strength weapons go. I need to find me something new. Maybe co-op until I have enough stones to have a shot at the demon great hammer, or something.

Or maybe respec into dexterity instead. I think I like fast weapons more on the whole, as it turns out. Who knew. :shrug:

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

PublicOpinion posted:

The Sunlight Straight Sword has the thrusting heavy attacks.

Excellent, thanks.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Does anyone think a bow-only run is viable in this game?
I just came off a catalist only run, oddly enough the hardest section was the shrine of amana.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You could do it, technically (though I don't think any class starts with a bow, so it wouldn't be a true bow only run outside of ng+). Bosses would be a horrendous slog though, bows are terrible for damage.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I have enough stones to have a shot at the demon great hammer, or something.

There's nothing quite as satisfying as doing the overhead smash with that weapon and making dudes just drop. If they aren't dead immediately on first hit, they're usually on the floor afterwards.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

You could do it, technically (though I don't think any class starts with a bow, so it wouldn't be a true bow only run outside of ng+). Bosses would be a horrendous slog though, bows are terrible for damage.

Bandit starts with a bow, and like 20 arrows, so aim carefully!

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

The Gorp posted:

I just came off a catalist only run, oddly enough the hardest section was the shrine of amana.

Yes. Bosses might take a while to kill and certain enemy swarms will be a major boring kite-fest, but yes.

Did you not have the Binoculars? That area isn't bad at all when you can just pick dudes off.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

The Gorp posted:

I did it, bosses suck, pvp is fun.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I'm really not a huge fan of Soul Memory mostly I've been enjoying Sunbroing but that's starting to slow down now that I'm almost at a million SM. I just want to help dudes out and it feels kind of counterproductive against that. I'd personally love for them to lower the final SM pool to something reasonable, like 2 - 3 million or so.

Also on an unrelated note, I wasn't ready for the beastliness of Jester Thomas. :allears:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ciaphas posted:

Oi, I use the greatsword. :(

That said, both the large club and greatsword are proving tiresome as far as strength weapons go. I need to find me something new. Maybe co-op until I have enough stones to have a shot at the demon great hammer, or something.

Or maybe respec into dexterity instead. I think I like fast weapons more on the whole, as it turns out. Who knew. :shrug:

I'm willing to overlook any weapon you use so long as your outfit is good. Fashion Souls is truly the most important part of Dark Souls online play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Enjoy getting VAC banned and coming here to whine about it I guess.

Anyone who edits their save while not connected to Steam is not going to be touched, at least not by Valve (From adding in basic save sanity checking is another story). That is why VAC alone is useless against the dudes who ruin other people's Soul Memory, which is really the most pressing issue.

Unless of course they are completely stupid and do their character editing while online with VAC on. So I guess it'll weed out total imbeciles.