Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

He has a twin brother. :ms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

Zits

Why isn't he wearing a mask?

He's not wearing gloves either. :barf:

(Might be a colorist error, but as Mister Kingdom pointed out, no mask, so...)

Humanoid Female posted:

That's the way I've always thought it worked. When I moved to the USA the main reason I couldn't figure out the difference is that it's pretty much impossible to earn any significant amount of interest on any type of bank account here - if you have more than $10,000 to dump in a long-term savings account you might even be able to earn 0.1% on it. :what: Stupid economy. At the same time I was getting 6.75% on my savings account back home in New Zealand and under those circumstances it's worthwhile to have a separate savings account. Here, not so much.

It's worth it for me to have a separate savings account because it's just enough of a pain in the rear end to take money out that I can generally keep my filthy mitts off of it and actually save a little money.

This, though:

Hel posted:

IIRC here in Sweden we legislated that you should be able to take out your money without the banks taking a fee, which means no monthly cost for accounts and no cost for ATM and other withdrawals, paying bills is also free, but internet shopping and ATM cards have yearly costs(~20€/yr each). Of course if you're a student or below 21 years old they'll probably waive most/all fees. AFAIK the only difference between savings and non-savings accounts is the interest. Also no one uses paper checks at all.

It's almost as though you guys value people more than banks. :allears:

Luann

Not buying it. If there's one thing Luann does not do, it's take things in stride.

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Humanoid Female posted:

That's the way I've always thought it worked. When I moved to the USA the main reason I couldn't figure out the difference is that it's pretty much impossible to earn any significant amount of interest on any type of bank account here - if you have more than $10,000 to dump in a long-term savings account you might even be able to earn 0.1% on it. :what: Stupid economy. At the same time I was getting 6.75% on my savings account back home in New Zealand and under those circumstances it's worthwhile to have a separate savings account. Here, not so much.
Yup. Our country's hosed, and you are on your own, because you deserve only what banks are willing to give and nothing more. The market has spoken.

F Minus

Mary Worth

In case that last strip didn't drive home this point, they think Tommy can work here.

Rex Morgan MD

This might get good.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Ahaha, these comics always break my tables so at first I thought the dad was fleeing in silent terror for some reason.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I still can't get over Wilbur's combover. It's as bad as Homer Simpson's!

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Forktoss posted:

He's over for dinner at Mary Worth's house. Beige blobs for everyone!

Beige Blobs:

Shugojin posted:

Except Wilbur. Wilbur is too good for beige blobs.

Maybe Wilbur can have an Orange Triangle:

Forktoss posted:

He gets a white rectangle.

Oh, ok. White Rectangle:

Also, mustn't forget the ubiquitous Brown Lumps:

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Not buying it. If there's one thing Luann does not do, it's take things in stride.

Luann's mom probably just assumes they had sex behind the bushes.

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

In the next episode, Jameson becomes Spiderman's butler as a way of saying thanks for saving his life. But Jameson's constant help turns out to be too much for Spiderman, and he comes up with a zany scheme to get Jameson to save his life so the debt will be called off. :v:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

TofuDiva posted:

Beige Blobs:

Placenta salad, my favorite!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Aleph Null posted:

He has a twin brother. :ms:
He has a clock. :ms:

bartok
May 10, 2006

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

The Fusco Brothers

These seem kind of tasteless to me. Syndicated cartoons really are going downhill.

I want to believe that it is an honest to goodness glory hole joke and not an unfunny joke about Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid's Hole-in-the-Wall Gang.
edit - got fooled by a photoshop

bartok fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 3, 2014

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Ziggy

The Fusco Brothers

Herman

These seem kind of tasteless to me. Syndicated cartoons really are going downhill.
Mashing up comics with Japanese body-horror manga barely raises an eyebrow on this forum.
You has not even begun to explore the depths of bad taste.

Nice work, by the way.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Midnight Moth posted:

Luann's mom probably just assumes they had sex behind the bushes.

Luann's dad is clearly hoping for a re-enactment.

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

Hey, didn't Emmy Lou do this same joke a while back, but she dressed up her mom differently? Weird.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

That's how it appeared on gocomics.

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Because it distracts him from his lovely life, you dick.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh man anyone read the comments on GoComics for Gilchrist's Nancy? I've been scoping them out over the last few Phil strips.

quote:

Thanks to all who opened up and made comments yesterday.
I think I’ve been on all sides of the equation……been the brunt, been the bad, been the good, married the insecure, made lots of mistakes, did my best once I learned a few things……..but some people aren’t ready to give you another chance.

To my children and my step-children, if you’re reading this, I love you all. I always will, even if you never come back.
Dad.

quote:

Guy has really taken a step outside the normal action of a strip like NANCY, hasn’t he? The return of :Phil has opened a new direction – one that has been sadly missing from most strips in the last 20 years are so. NANCY’s strip began as a light-hearted look at a cute young lady whose name named FRITZI RITZ. Phil was the main boyfriend even back then. After Fritzi adopted (?) her sister’s daughter, the child took over the strip and it’s title and was played for laughs. Now Guy is moving into unknown territory that is usually ignored in comic strips. It’s great that he has the courage to look at a problem that has been around for many centuries, maybe even from Adam and Eve with their own kids. Parenting is one of the most important jobs in the world, but to many people don’t have much of an idea how to instill self-worth in the kids they have brought into this world. I think I’ll stop now before I get accused of preaching to much.
Guy, thank you! I’ll be watching your progress.

quote:

When Newt Gingrich once said USA needs more orphanages as safe havens for children in need, Shrillery Clinton reacted that orphanages are horrible places like in Oliver Twist (a fictional work by Charles Dickens). Gingrich then said he meant places like Boys Town, Shrillery said Boys Town is “just a movie.” OMG is she ever ignorant on the subject especially considering that where she grew up in Park Ridge, IL, Chicago’s Angel Guardian orphange was not too far from her home & I’m sure she never visited there! Sheeeeesh! (Sorry about getting political.)

:lol:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I think Phil might have turned out better if he had watched Girl's Town, instead.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wanamingo posted:

He's the one guy with a testable alibi.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

That's why we've been subjected to this? Yeesh, I should have known.

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Oh god, this is the worst one yet! It's like he was trying to fool you into thinking he was actually going somewhere!

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Oh, and the unemployed guy with piles of bills wouldn't have a motive to bump off his wealthy relative? Inspector Danger is the worst.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Command Ant posted:

Oh god, this is the worst one yet! It's like he was trying to fool you into thinking he was actually going somewhere!

I thought there was going to be a story for sure. "I was on a bad track and that movie changed my life" doesn't qualify!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Apparently Inspector Danger is Detective of the Rich. Every one of his cases seems to involve a wealthy man getting murdered by heirs who just happened to have been scheduled to visit them the day of the murder.

Never a gang hit, never a mugging gone wrong, never a jealous rage, never a bizarre accidental death that looks like a weird murder at first.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Guaranteed to be the only piece of pop culture you'll find this year that began with Tom Petty and ended at Mickey Rooney. That is one honey of a reroute.

The Boys Town film, as well-regarded as it is, is also a monument of emotional manipulation in the old Hollywood style, which makes this sequence Guy Gilchrist's version of game recognizing game.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

We're nearing the end!

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Get hosed, Gilchrist. Seriously.

What kind of storytelling is this? "I led a bad life when I was younger. Let me tell you all about it. I saw Boy's Town once. :angel: R.I.P. Mickey Rooney and Spencer Tracy:angel:"

What a loving hack.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

EasyEW posted:

Guaranteed to be the only piece of pop culture you'll find this year that began with Tom Petty and ended at Mickey Rooney. That is one honey of a reroute.

The Boys Town film, as well-regarded as it is, is also a monument of emotional manipulation in the old Hollywood style, which makes this sequence Guy Gilchrist's version of game recognizing game.

At least the old Hollywood style had basically perfected how to construct a competent narrative, though.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

It got shadowed by Gilchrist's bullshit, so I just wanna quote and say :drat:

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

How coincidentally apropos.

Retail

Yeah, Marla has her store completely staffed with rear end-kissing yes-men who only stroke her ego and never question her awful management. It's a pretty sweet gig. As a bonus, they can even talk her into committing crimes and saddling the company with huge liabilities!

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

This is actually the best Bleeker strip in months.

Dustin

Yeah... I guess?

On the Fastrack

Just how much personal data is stored on a credit card!

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

Wow, I'd take that offer. The thrift shop here only gives you a $5 off a $25 purchase coupon in exchange for a bag of clothes.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

At least the old Hollywood style had basically perfected how to construct a competent narrative, though.

Yeah really, these little moments of glurge have to be earned to not be gratuitous. You can't just make an entire feature out of them.

Peanuts (May 7, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean: And speaking of "special" moments that sure as Hell haven't been earned...

So all that work was a complete waste of time because she's going to give up on her big dream just like everybody else in the town where joy goes to die! And the memory of her father, John Darling, will die with her! From the dust we come, and to the dust we go, tossed to the four corners. Blow, wind, blow. Hooray for uplifting family entertainment!

Classic Popeye Sunday doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is. And today, it is a story about working the loopholes in a handshake agreement. (c. 1942)

Pogo: And speaking of working the loopholes... (April 16, 1972, click for XL)

First-Gen Blondie (c. 1942)

It's a little late to check, but this may be the last one of the old Blondies I have. If that turns out to be the case, you'll get another treat in this spot next week.

Out Our Way (November 26-27, 1924)

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Midnight Moth posted:

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

Wow, I'd take that offer. The thrift shop here only gives you a $5 off a $25 purchase coupon in exchange for a bag of clothes.

I now have infinity shirts

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mandrake the Magician (1942-01-18)

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I'm pretty sure that's the joke the comic was going for.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

The answer posted:

Slylock suspected the thieves tunneled underground from behind the shed. When he moved the tarp on the floor, he exposed the tunnel hole.

Slylock Fox

All I can think about is that raccoon, what poor soul had to die for Slylock's hot dog, how short that tree is, and the crab not being confronted for stealing while Shady Shrew gets a visit from the cops whenever he takes someone's apple.

Moose and Molly

The second happiest day of a boat owner is when he buys the boat, and the happiest day is when he sells it.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It's because the ice didn't melt, oh my god max thats so remedial youre embarrassing yourself there

Neat bull thing that Trinity drew, though.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Wanamingo posted:

It's because the ice didn't melt, oh my god max thats so remedial youre embarrassing yourself there

Neat bull thing that Trinity drew, though.
It's a New Mexican Bison! (closeup)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

I now have infinity shirts
How's it going, Vault Dweller?

Also... what tarp? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

EasyEW posted:

First-Gen Blondie (c. 1942)

It's a little late to check, but this may be the last one of the old Blondies I have. If that turns out to be the case, you'll get another treat in this spot next week.

I just want to say that I really love classic Blondie, and thanks for posting them. That said, I hope that's not the last of them.

• Locked thread