Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
If you were a real man you'd install the mod and see what happened to you. :colbert:

Serioustalk: No. Texture replacement is absolutely fine, there's built-in support for it.

poo poo, maybe not? I'd test it myself but then if there was a ban we wouldn't know which was the culprit. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

Mystic Mongol posted:

If you were a real man you'd install the mod and see what happened to you. :colbert:

Serioustalk: No. Texture replacement is absolutely fine, there's built-in support for it.

Visiting in-laws for the weekend cuts in to Dark Souls time, legitimate or otherwise. :( Guess we'll see when I get back!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wild Knight posted:

So wait, does GeDoSaTo VAC-ban you or not, because I've been looking at this nexus mod all weekend (it's just Zelda textures, don't worry) and was wondering if rolling a Link character would be more viable in this game than the first because you can actually use swords in your left hand now, but if I might get VAC-banned for it theeeen it probably wouldn't be worth it.

ninja edit bahaha posted right after that huge cheat experiment, I feel awkward now.

If people do get banned for injectors there's gonna be an enormous swathe of people banned, so who knows how that'll go down.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Wild Knight posted:

So wait, does GeDoSaTo VAC-ban you or not, because I've been looking at this nexus mod all weekend (it's just Zelda textures, don't worry) and was wondering if rolling a Link character would be more viable in this game than the first because you can actually use swords in your left hand now, but if I might get VAC-banned for it theeeen it probably wouldn't be worth it.

ninja edit bahaha posted right after that huge cheat experiment, I feel awkward now.
Still running GeDoSaTo and no bans. I can still connect online, if that's what you can call it right now (lovely servers :argh:). I think VAC would know the difference between something modding actual game files versus an injector. As Durante stated, basically even poo poo like FRAPS, Mumble, SweetFX would be grounds for a VAC ban if it counted it as much, since those and plenty other programs essentially do the same thing on some level.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

White Phosphorus posted:

If you infuse a +10 weapon will it make it go back to +0 so you have to upgrade it from scratch again?

No, it stays +10.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Sober posted:

Still running GeDoSaTo and no bans. I can still connect online, if that's what you can call it right now (lovely servers :argh:). I think VAC would know the difference between something modding actual game files versus an injector. As Durante stated, basically even poo poo like FRAPS, Mumble, SweetFX would be grounds for a VAC ban if it counted it as much, since those and plenty other programs essentially do the same thing on some level.

It's hard to say. Watched a video about someone using a hooked file for the original Half-Life to add bloom and tweak the graphics, he got a VAC ban for that years ago that was never overturned and never will be. All VAC bans are final no matter what.

Here it is if you're curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG6fo34JOAk

Tracula fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 4, 2014

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Ciaphas posted:

Oi, I use the greatsword. :(

That said, both the large club and greatsword are proving tiresome as far as strength weapons go. I need to find me something new. Maybe co-op until I have enough stones to have a shot at the demon great hammer, or something.

Or maybe respec into dexterity instead. I think I like fast weapons more on the whole, as it turns out. Who knew. :shrug:

There is one somewhat unique strength weapon I've been using that seems easy to miss: Estoc. All the speed and style of other rapiers but none of the drawbacks that come with focusing on dex (mainly, that dex scaling as a whole tends to be weaker than strength scaling and relies more on speed/dual-wielding/auxiliary effects). Dual-wield 'em to deliver absolute punishment against any humanoid target.

Dandywalken posted:

I may be missing the obvious here... but what the gently caress is he doing in a memory anyways?

Benhart showing up in a memory ties in with my theory that everyone you meet is a figment of your imagination, because they just get weirder and weirder the longer you go. :tinfoil:

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elysiume posted:

Dying as a phantom also counts as dying, for the purposes of a no-death run.

Yeah, I died falling off a stupid bridge in Huntsman Copse, then proceeded to die again trying to run back to the door where the 3 hallow's ambush you up the staircase trying to get pates soapstone. This is gonna be funnn

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Right as I eke out my 100th win with the bell gargoyles, I get invaded by another infinite health hacker. This is most of what I see at soul memory 1.8 million. :(

e: This One's Me is a good emote.

e: Actually, it's weird I'm seeing people invade me at all. A second just did. Am I at new game+ soul memory levels?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 4, 2014

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
You should join me at Soul Memory 400K, no one cheats down here!

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Just did the Ceaseless Discharge version of the Executioner's Chariot fight. Kill the first necromancer and his skellies then stand in an alcove and throw spells. At around 40% the boss will fall off and his skeletal horses will frantically try to claw their way out of the pit. One hit will knock them down.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You're a crazy person, but it's cool that they account for your brand of crazy.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Mystic Mongol posted:

So, if there's any cheat detection running on Dark Souls II at all, I should be banned pretty quick. After all, that's a 130 level gap, plus max equipment, stats at a level literally impossible at that SM, and I've played online at a SM 2.4 million higher than I just played now, which should set off some kind of red flag or other. I'll check in once every two days or so and see how it goes.

:siren: Disclaimer: I won't actually continue to haunt multiplayer with this character. I suppose that means that leader-board-based cheat checking won't detect me? But I'm not willing to cheat in a few hundred matches just to see if anyone notices, four fights was already pushing it. Those poor, poor phantoms.

You're crazy. That is all.

Also, as far as I know the only leaderboards are Covenant of Champions. FROM also probably won't notice if your SM + SL combination is actually possible. Main way they'll catch people is if they have an invalid combination.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Sober posted:

From what I gather VAC (at least modern VAC) bans based on signatures from cheat programs. It probably recognizes popular overlays and shader injectors already, and I can't imagine that anyone using Cheat Engine while online is going to stay unbanned for long if VAC is actually enabled on Dark Souls.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Meat Recital posted:

When is a good time to fight Old Ornstein? I tried him a few times around when I got to No-man's Wharf, and I didn't feel at all ready.

I actually only found that lever to open the water gate when i was level 90. The Dragonrider and Ornstein died with less than 10 scimitar hits :v:

I'm kinda lost. I cleared No Man's Warf, Sinner's Rise, the Black Gulch,Shaded Woods, dicked around in Doors of Pharros (had to flee from the boss :negative:) and i don't see much to do now. There's a bunch of poo poo locked in Shaded Woods and a locked door in the Forest of the giants, there's a contraption before Heide's tower but i can't find a way to open it either...

Help me goons! Where am i supposed to go now?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

From what I gather VAC (at least modern VAC) bans based on signatures from cheat programs. It probably recognizes popular overlays and shader injectors already, and I can't imagine that anyone using Cheat Engine while online is going to stay unbanned for long if VAC is actually enabled on Dark Souls.

That's not all of it, obviously, or somebody could just edit a program slightly and bypass it.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mans posted:

Shaded Woods, dicked around in Doors of Pharros

No you didn't

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
For the record, I use Poke, not Cheat Engine, which has too many buttons and knobs for what it does.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

First time I use the cracked blue eye orb, it spawns me on the iron keep bridge and we do a 1v1, same as if I just summoned the guy. Second time, it spawns me in the wrong part of Drangleic Castle. :downs:

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why would you modify your game in any way if you know its under VAC?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mans posted:

I actually only found that lever to open the water gate when i was level 90. The Dragonrider and Ornstein died with less than 10 scimitar hits :v:

I'm kinda lost. I cleared No Man's Warf, Sinner's Rise, the Black Gulch,Shaded Woods, dicked around in Doors of Pharros (had to flee from the boss :negative:) and i don't see much to do now. There's a bunch of poo poo locked in Shaded Woods and a locked door in the Forest of the giants, there's a contraption before Heide's tower but i can't find a way to open it either...

In Pharros, at the very beginning, you'll see the Mastodon in the water and a dwarf nerd up on the left. Once you smoked em, go up onto the left path where the Dwarf was rather than down low with the Bonfire. You'll proceed up to Brightstone Cove or some poo poo, which is the next area.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Mans posted:

To progress, you need four great souls.

You cleared the wharf, which should get you to the Bastile. You can also get to the Bastille by beating the second boss in the Giant's Forest, then investigating the nest behind him. Keep exploring the Bastille, clearing bosses and going new places, and you'll eventually reach a boss in Sinner's Rise who has one of the four great souls. Use a torch.

Have you talked to the lady who sells miracles you meet after Dragonrider a bunch? Talk to her some more, then go back to majire and walk down the corridor to Hilde's tower again, you should see her next to a contraption. This unlocks a new route, which ultimately leads to one of the four great souls.

There's another great soul deep within the shaded woods. At the crossroad circular staircase, head towards the foggy woods. If you can make it out the other side you reach the Shaded Ruins, and keep pushing forwards from there to get one of the four great souls.

Finally, there's a big dumb hole in the center of Majire. Maybe you can make it down there? If you clear the other three paths first someone'll be available to sell ladders, maybe. Or you can buy a ring of catfall from someone in Majire. At the very bottom of the hole you'll find one of the four great souls.

bef posted:

Why would you modify your game in any way if you know its under VAC?

How do you find out if a stove is hot? Someone's gotta touch it, man. As someone with an unjust VAC ban, I would really rather understand the system than sit in the dark shaking chicken feathers at a mysterious, distant, uncaring Gabe Newell.

zerocrash
Apr 14, 2009

Mans posted:

In Heide's Tower there is a female ~Miracles~ NPC who after exhausting her dialogue will go back to Majula to the contraption and can turn it for you opening up Huntsman's Copse.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I decided to have my go at FASHION SOULS II:

How did I do? :ohdear:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Nothing like having your host die against Pursuer because the other phantom decided to ballista them in the face! :shepicide:

I swear the most dangerous thing about that fight isn't the boss: it's the phantoms/hosts who don't understand that the ballista can and will kill anything in front of it, allies included.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Sanctum posted:

I decided to have my go at FASHION SOULS II:

How did I do? :ohdear:

Last one's best, of course.

Sydin posted:

Nothing like having your host die against Pursuer because the other phantom decided to ballista them in the face! :shepicide:

I swear the most dangerous thing about that fight isn't the boss: it's the phantoms/hosts who don't understand that the ballista can and will kill anything in front of it, allies included.

The ones that do understand are a hundred times more dangerous.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sydin posted:

Hahah that happened to me once. You'd think people would at least not fire if there's someone standing right in front of the ballista, but no. It's upsetting to get killed by your own guys but a little funny at the same time.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

aegof posted:

Last one's best, of course.

The ones that do understand are a hundred times more dangerous.

The spread on the shots is cute too. The first two shots missed me, the third made itself at home in my skull :v:

At least it looked funny.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Manatee Cannon posted:

Hahah that happened to me once. You'd think people would at least not fire if there's someone standing right in front of the ballista, but no. It's upsetting to get killed by your own guys but a little funny at the same time.

Yes. It's totally an accident whenever I do this :getin:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cool, 1.8 mil does seem to be the barrier for ng+, got invaded 3 times tonight. 2 in the iron keep while I was phantoming, but still. It'll be fun needing to keep on my toes again like in Dark Souls.

Tracula posted:

Yes. It's totally an accident whenever I do this :getin:

You got some nice souls here. It'd be a shame if anything were to happen to them.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Cool, 1.8 mil does seem to be the barrier for ng+, got invaded 3 times tonight. 2 in the iron keep while I was phantoming, but still. It'll be fun needing to keep on my toes again like in Dark Souls.

You got some nice souls here. It'd be a shame if anything were to happen to them.

You should try having sin. I can go 5 minutes without seeing an arbiter spirit.

5 minutes being roughly the invasion timeout. Once that's over, boy howdy, here's another blue fellow come to ruin my day. One invaded me and immediately buffed Great Magic Barrier and Sunlight Weapon, so I said screw that, popped on the cat ring and started running around until the buffs expired. He fell off a cliff :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Where can I get faintstone and darknightstone?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

dis astranagant posted:

Where can I get faintstone and darknightstone?

Trade in smooth and silky stones to the crows and hope you get those two, Doors of Pharros for the faintstone, basilisks for the darknight, or Chloanne eventually for both.

quote:

You should try having sin. I can go 5 minutes without seeing an arbiter spirit.

I want to finish the game before I ramp that part up, but I should start putting things into gear again if I really am in NG+ territory already. I'm at the Shrine of Amana, so I should be close based on the bonfires I haven't seen yet. At least I finally got my lovely bell keeper clothes. Finally, the chosen undead can wear some shorts. :v:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I finished the game with a SL 160 pure warrior/pyromancy. I want to make a new character, cleric or mage and I don't want to use the mace this playthrough because it is all I used in the last one.

What is a good cleric/mage build? Should I just put all points into INT/Faith/ATT early on until I get them all to 25 or so?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

keyframe posted:

I finished the game with a SL 160 pure warrior/pyromancy. I want to make a new character, cleric or mage and I don't want to use the mace this playthrough because it is all I used in the last one.

What is a good cleric/mage build? Should I just put all points into INT/Faith/ATT early on until I get them all to 25 or so?

If you're planning to make a completely new character, you don't get Lightning Spear until you've at least beaten the Dragonrider in Heide's Tower of Flame so maybe invest more towards magic at first. Though after that I'd probably use Lightning Spear more than the Soul Arrow variants until you get some decent hexes to play with.

You should still put in enough points in str/dex to use a weapon of your choice though, just as a precaution. Don't bother going over the minimum requirement or anything, then infuse it with lightning/magic/dark.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Got King's Ring, where should I go now?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Probably check out the last fork at the forked road

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Gotta go back and punch the talent agent that told me this was going to be a Rotten gig.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 4, 2014

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007
So when is From going to properly balance the Drakekeepers? Seriously, they have enormous weapons that swing in huge 270-degree-plus horizontal arcs, they swing incredibly fast, track impeccably spinning like tops to hit you, have nearly zero downtime between combos, and can insta-kill or stagger kill you in one hit/combo nearly every time. I thought the trade-off with having larger, hard-hitting enemies was that they were slower and could be strafed/dodged? I've found no reliable way to kill them past spell spamming/arrows, especially the two-handed mace ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
The game has been released, which means From won't do anything short of correcting crash bugs; severe crash bugs only.