Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I did that fight yesterday and had no idea it was possible.

I lucked out and got an NPC summon when I fought him, who I proceeded to poke to death in just a few seconds.

...at least I think it was an NPC summon. Some people are just really bad at this game when it comes to PvP. I'm going to head back and see if I can get sucked in since I haven't progressed all that far and my SM should be fine. I saw all those red soapstone signs outside and I just assumed it was a local hangout place for the PvPers to summon each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

A.C. posted:

It was originally a bug, but they made it an actual feature in the patch before PC release.

No it wasn't, it was people misunderstanding of a mistranslated tweet that made people assume that. The bug was that it happened inconsistently, not that it happened at all.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I keep hearing about invincible hackers all the time but I'm pretty sure I haven't faced a single one despite spending a lot of time PvPing. Sometimes my attacks don't deal any damage but I'm 90% sure that's just lag and they actually dodged because afterwards they take damage just fine.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Kanfy posted:

I keep hearing about invincible hackers all the time but I'm pretty sure I haven't faced a single one despite spending a lot of time PvPing. Sometimes my attacks don't deal any damage but I'm 90% sure that's just lag and they actually dodged because afterwards they take damage just fine.

I'd fought a couple of people who might have been a little questionable, but just now was the first absolute definite hacker who was terrible at the game and despite me and another Bellbro absolutely wailing on him and poisoning him he didn't take any damage whatsoever. I don't know why out want to play the game that way.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Noxville posted:

I'd fought a couple of people who might have been a little questionable, but just now was the first absolute definite hacker who was terrible at the game and despite me and another Bellbro absolutely wailing on him and poisoning him he didn't take any damage whatsoever. I don't know why out want to play the game that way.

Yeah, they're no doubt around but they don't seem to be all that common, thankfully.

And you realize people literally pay monthly fees for cheating services, gotta feel strong and powerful on the internet by any means necessary you know.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Crackbone posted:

Dumb question - What consistently opens illusory walls?

I've been several places that look right, there are notes, and I can't open them. The one right now is in Earthen peak, two bridges, one is broken. There's an item on the side of the bridge that you can't reach, but it sure as poo poo looks like an illusionary wall. I hit it with my sword and tried firebombs.

Or am I just getting punked?

punked

notes don't prevent you from opening anything. I can't think of anything that you can blow up with firebombs but not regular attacks. Only exceptions are the barrel walls that need exploding but that's triggered by a lot of things

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Noxville posted:

I had a dude like that once but I think it was just supreme lag. He took damage but seemed to recover his HP unusually quickly. Eventually he got stuck in some sort of limbo where he stopped moving but wouldn't take damage, where he stayed until the invasion timed out.

I'm pretty sure his connection was just hilariously bad, like he was on a 28k modem or something, and he lagged out and disconnected. The health regen was probably him drinking flasks several seconds before I saw it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kanfy posted:

Yeah, they're no doubt around but they don't seem to be all that common, thankfully.

And you realize people literally pay monthly fees for cheating services, gotta feel strong and powerful on the internet by any means necessary you know.

They don't, though, most of the time. Cheat Engine is free. A lot of hacking in video games even outside of CE, like aimbotting in FPS games, is based on scripting you can do yourself if you know how. PerfectAimbotHax.co.gov or whatever is probably not as lucrative as you'd think.

I've seen zero hackers so far but I don't doubt they exist. It's a multiplayer PC game, there are going to be hackers, VAC be damned.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've seen one person I knew was definitely a hacker. Guy invades me while I'm trying to bell bust, so I fight him. Stab him in the face, makes the sound of weapon contact, no damage. loving lag screwing me over again. No matter, I'll just hit him again and- gently caress no damage you've gotta be kidding me. Now he's just sitting firing at me avelyn because of course he has that dumb bow. Well, now he's completely exposed to a FORBIDDEN SUN!

No damage. At that point I realized it wasn't lag, he was just a cheating gently caress. Situations like that are why I sit next to the boss door in Bellfry Sol. I will gladly fight any invader 1v1, but no point in wasting time on a cheater.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Renegret posted:

I had a dude like that once but I think it was just supreme lag. He took damage but seemed to recover his HP unusually quickly. Eventually he got stuck in some sort of limbo where he stopped moving but wouldn't take damage, where he stayed until the invasion timed out.

I'm pretty sure his connection was just hilariously bad, like he was on a 28k modem or something, and he lagged out and disconnected. The health regen was probably him drinking flasks several seconds before I saw it.

I did have one guy like that today as well, actually, teleporting all around and not taking damage. This first guy definitely had a good connection though.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Gus Hobbleton posted:

No, it stays +10.

Thank god. Just made Smelter demon my bitch with the raw malformed skull +7.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

So leave a red sign in the corridor leading up to Looking Glass Knight gives you a chance to be summoned through his mirror during someone's fight?

That is incredibly cool sounding, and I gotta do it. I don't care about pwning noobs in PvP, but I do care about giving other players a memorable Dark Souls experience. :black101:

Steely Tankus

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, about 10 pages back folks were talking about VAC bans for using durantes gfx enhancer thing.

I've never had a VAC ban, and I don't intend to.

If I remove it now, having only used it for a few play sessions, what are the chances I'll get flagged in the ban wave?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Annath posted:

So, about 10 pages back folks were talking about VAC bans for using durantes gfx enhancer thing.

If I remove it now, having only used it for a few play sessions, what are the chances I'll get flagged in the ban wave?

No one has reported being banned for GeDoSaTo and it has been out for almost 2 weeks. It's also advertised in one of the Steam news articles for Dark Souls 2 (lifted from PCGamer). :shepface:

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Annath posted:

This is assuming they'll even think about banning for it, and honestly if it happens it'll be repealed REAL quick because I suspect way too many people use the tool.

But no you wouldn't be safe, if it does happen. It's why I'm not going to download a neat looking thing I found which lets you get any camera angle you want, as long as you can see your character, because it uses CheatEngine.

Janac
May 12, 2010
Is there a way to put the game into offline mode while still being online on Steam?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm in the Shrine of Amana, is this Ash Lake? It looks like it.

I think Things Betwixt is more obviously connected to the Ash Lake, what with the Archtrees and the shoreline. This would also sorta tie into the area under the mansion having the shattered Lordvessel, the accumulated ash and the area around it having the remnants of the same sort of architecture as the Kiln of the First Flame.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Janac posted:

Is there a way to put the game into offline mode while still being online on Steam?

Just disable your internet, go through the start screen and start in offline mode, turn your internet back on. Unless you click "Go Online" or whatever on the main menu you'll be in offline mode indefinitely.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Domattee posted:

He's talking about the metal dudes in Dragon Shrine. The hammer wielding ones are bugged and don't pause between their combos.

I loving knew they were bugged! The hammer bros are total bullshit as a melee character, they will just do an infinite combo on you and you're forced to kill them with projectiles from a distance.

Hopefully there'll be more balance patches but it IS From.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bobnumerotres posted:

I loving knew they were bugged! The hammer bros are total bullshit as a melee character, they will just do an infinite combo on you and you're forced to kill them with projectiles from a distance.

For people who haven't seen them in their true form, here is a WebM showing off the full nature of the knights with greathammers. It's a truly frightening sight to behold.

Note that the attack being shown off has 100% tracking, so if you rotate, the knight will rotate with you without taking a step. It's kinda horseshit!

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
How am I meant to get Sunbro medals at a reasonable rate when the only two bosses I'm getting summon hits on at my soul memory are OIK and The Rotten, and 80% of hosts die within the first 10 seconds of the fight?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

CJacobs posted:

For people who haven't seen them in their true form, here is a WebM showing off the full nature of the knights with greathammers. It's a truly frightening sight to behold.

Note that the attack being shown off has 100% tracking, so if you rotate, the knight will rotate with you without taking a step. It's kinda horseshit!

Oh thank God, I thought I was just a total scrub at dodging these guys. I was wondering why there was such a disparity between the sword knights and those jerks.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

CJacobs posted:

They chain into their other combos as well. As a melee character you have to hope they do one particular attack that has a long vulnerable animation at the end, otherwise they just attack forever and kill you.

The greatsword knights right before the ancient dragon also have attacks that go right through your shield, which makes no sense.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Arthil posted:

This is assuming they'll even think about banning for it, and honestly if it happens it'll be repealed REAL quick because I suspect way too many people use the tool.

But no you wouldn't be safe, if it does happen. It's why I'm not going to download a neat looking thing I found which lets you get any camera angle you want, as long as you can see your character, because it uses CheatEngine.

So basically, since I've already used it, I might as well keep using it?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I just maxed out the Sunbros and the Darkbros and I'm thinking of joining the Rat Pack. My question is, do you get the rewards if the monsters score the kill or do you have to land the finishing blow yourself?

Edit:

El Pollo Blanco posted:

How am I meant to get Sunbro medals at a reasonable rate when the only two bosses I'm getting summon hits on at my soul memory are OIK and The Rotten, and 80% of hosts die within the first 10 seconds of the fight?

Ever try Sunbroing the Looking Glass Knight? The boss is super easy and I got something like 17 of my medals there with only three host deaths. I was getting hits CONSTANTLY between 1M and 2.1M Soul Memory.

Time_pants fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 4, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Annath posted:

If you've already modified your save, and they had a method of tracing this they'll be able to use it anyway, so why not?

Janac
May 12, 2010

Time_pants posted:

I just maxed out the Sunbros and the Darkbros and I'm thinking of joining the Rat Pack. My question is, do you get the rewards if the monsters score the kill or do you have to land the finishing blow yourself?

You get the rewards regardless of how the enemy dies, as long as they die.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Time_pants posted:

You definitely get it from NPC kills. In fact one of my favorite things as a rat was to boost up fully unlocked Doors of Pharros to NG+ and just watch them trying to survive like a cliché RPG villain. :laugh:

Of course to get to the fog door they'll still have to beat me at the end. I think only one person has ever survived the whole thing and that guy deserved to get through if you ask me.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Annath posted:

Pretty much, yeah. I mean GedoSato doesn't do anything more funny than ENB does, which is also available for Dark Souls 2, yet I don't hear about people using ENB for other games being banned left and right.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Kanfy posted:

You definitely get it from NPC kills. In fact one of my favorite things as a rat was to boost up fully unlocked Doors of Pharros to NG+ and just watch them trying to survive like a cliché RPG villain. :laugh:

Of course to get to the fog door they'll still have to beat me at the end. I think only one person has ever survived the whole thing and that guy deserved to get through if you ask me.

I feel like the ability for your buddies to get genocided completely turns me off from ratbro. After > 10 summons you're going to be forced to upgrade the area at the bonfire or start losing your buddies :(

Plus every time I try to ratbro, I get very few summons. Eventually I just get bored and leave.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Renegret posted:

I feel like the ability for your buddies to get genocided completely turns me off from ratbro. After > 10 summons you're going to be forced to upgrade the area at the bonfire or start losing your buddies :(

Yeah, that's a bit silly. On the upside you can sometimes loot the tails off of the killed rats to increase your covenant rank.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So I've beaten the dragon rider and last giant. Not really sure what to do at this point so I went to the warf to try and get the Merchant I can sell all my junk to. Any other ideas where I should go?

Also what's a good weapon for a hex build early game? I don't want to waste too much money upgrading a weapon I won't use for a while at least. I'm still using my unupgraded starting mace.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
God, I thought the NG phantoms in the forest were low-effort but the ones around the cathedral are even worse. This poo poo will be a constant throughout NG, will it? :what:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

-Blackadder- posted:

So I've beaten the dragon rider and last giant. Not really sure what to do at this point so I went to the warf to try and get the Merchant I can sell all my junk to. Any other ideas where I should go?

You should probably head the other way from the big room with the three Old Knights in Heide's Tower of Flame and fight the boss there and explore Forest of the Giants further by opening the (4?) locked doors with the key you looted from the giant.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm in the Shrine of Amana, is this Ash Lake? It looks like it.

Drangleic Castle might be the most perfectly designed area in any videogame. I love every last piece of it.
The journey to it through the Shrine of Winter is long, without being arduous, it feels a long way away. Especially as the geography starts to break down - before you walk through the tunnel you can see the tower clearly in the distance, but once you walk through it, the tower moves! It's subtle, but the whole journey feels uncanny, like space is warped.

The approach up the stairs sets the theme pretty early on - those Mastodon statues are visible a mile off, and anybody who's played any videogame before knows that they're going to come alive and attack you. Sure enough, they do. The rest of the level is an exercise in paranoia as I leap and dodge round every corner whenever I see a statue. But the game is nice, it's fair, it teaches me the statues - horsehead knights are statues, tortoise knights are statues, spearmen will try and stab me. I can live with that. The doorway room has a nice obvious strategy - approach from the side, try and only wake up two at time, and pray to god that nothing triggers those very ominous doors . But the statues are so well placed that killing them fast guarantees they'll trigger a door - the apperance of the first ruin sentinal is a bit of a shock, but after taking on three at once it's satisfying to just dunk on one solo. The rest of the room is gloriously tense - since the basic rule of Dark Souls is that if I die, those doors are staying open and that room suddenly gets a whole lot harder. I die a few times, aggroing multiple sentries at once, but that room remains one of my favourite fights. Moments of quiet stalking, punctuated with bursts of extreme violence.

The ballista-room is a similar idea - all the pieces are immediately visible, but with some subtle trickery. There's three ballistae, a chest, and a conspicuous lever by a portcullis. I bumbled into the first ballistae trap in the forest of fallen giants and got shot to pieces. But I'm onto you, game. I know how this works. I look around carefully, there's no obvious pressure-plate or trip-wire. I drop my armour so I can move fast, and gingerly step in front of the ballistae and immediately throw myself back. Nothing happens. I try again. Still nothing. Alright, so clearly the chest is trapped. I run up, hit it, and hurl myself to the ground. I open it, and roll the side. I pick up the item and dive away. Nothing. That leaves the lever. I know I can't roll back far enough once I pull that lever. So I put on all my armour, two hand a greatshield, and prepare to tank the hits. Even if I die, at least that door will be open.

When I eventually lower my shield, I walk over to the ballistae. They're not loaded.

Eventually, I reach the approach to the fog door. I see a huge golden knight at the end of a corridor, lined with horsehead knights. It's a literal dark-and-stormy-night, and I am ready for a brawl. I set my sword on fire, and sprint down the corridor as lighting throws my shadow across the columns. This is what games are made of, this is why I play Dark Souls, I will take this bastard down!

That's when the horsehead knights decide that they aren't actually statues after all.

Motherfuckers

That level played me like a violin.

It's not, no. Ash Lake is much lower and, if Dark Souls 1 is to believed, the entire Dark Souls world more or less rests on the boughs of the Ash Trees.

If that is the case you can see how the Shrine of Amana is not nearly low enough or large enough to be that.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

God, I thought the NG phantoms in the forest were low-effort but the ones around the cathedral are even worse. This poo poo will be a constant throughout NG, will it? :what:

What? You mean NG+?

They put in a few interesting encounters that would force new tactics, but for the most part the NG+ phantoms are there for unique armor sets/fashion souls.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

3 out of 4 summons I've done for Skeleton Lords has been me + a 2nd phantom. Doesn't people realise that more than one phantom drastically increases boss HP? I'm burning through dark orb and great soul arrow like you wouldn't believe.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

ulvir posted:

3 out of 4 summons I've done for Skeleton Lords has been me + a 2nd phantom. Doesn't people realise that more than one phantom drastically increases boss HP? I'm burning through dark orb and great soul arrow like you wouldn't believe.

I've been playing for 60 hours, didn't know that was a thing.

Unless you follow a guide or something the majority of systems in the game aren't clear.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's not, no. Ash Lake is much lower and, if Dark Souls 1 is to believed, the entire Dark Souls world more or less rests on the boughs of the Ash Trees.

If that is the case you can see how the Shrine of Amana is not nearly low enough or large enough to be that.

This morning it was the lowest point I'd been to (wasn't expecting that lift to go down to take me to the Crypt). It is still a giant lake extending in all directions, intertwined with a vast mass of tree roots, accompanied by a haunting wailing. The Tower of Flame looks like a ruined, partially submerged Anor Londo and given how what little plot I've gleaned so far shows the corrupted descendants of the original Great Souls so at least I'd say it's meant to evoke Ash Lake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

CJacobs posted:

I lost a six hour No Death run to that motherfucker; they're probably the best example of how much the cooldown after attacks structures combat in these games by not having any at all and being complete horseshit.