Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

SedanChair posted:

At least they're not trying to use their kids as human shields yet. Wait, is there a better term than "human shields" for when you want the other guys to shoot them?

Reminds me of the South Park movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
This Esquire article has been posted before but I wanted to highlight what I think is the critical passage:

quote:

The crowd, fresh off their victory at the Battle of Bunkerville, gives Bundy a standing ovation. But he doesn’t seem pleased. He reproaches the crowd for failing to follow the word of God – to the letter – which he says is being delivered through him. They failed, for example, to follow his instructions to tear down the toll booths at Lake Mead and disarm the Park Service.

"The message I gave to you all was a revelation that I received. And yet not one of you can seem to even quote it.”

Cliven continues, sermon-like: "The records of our bible — how long have they been kept? Thousands of years. They’ve been turned over generation after generation, buried, and all kinds of things happen to ‘em. And yet, here, something I felt was inspired [by God] and yet we haven’t even carried it forth for even a couple of days. Shame on us.” Smattering of clapping.

I have no doubt we can take the man at his word here, he believes the word of Capital-G God is being delivered through him. I doubt many of his followers buy deeply into that, but they are either tolerating it or just pretending that their leader isn't having a psychotic break.

The worst part is that the reason Bundy ordered the charge was because God told him to. If you read some of the other articles Bundy had been told by God to get his followers to charge the Feds. He hadn't been successful so after awhile he just charged them himself and his followers came along.

They literally charged federal agents because a crazy old man is hearing orders from God. And now that following Gods orders has lead to victory once, Bundy will not hesitate to do something similar again.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SedanChair posted:

At least they're not trying to use their kids as human shields yet. Wait, is there a better term than "human shields" for when you want the other guys to shoot them?

Bait

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

RevKrule posted:

Joel McHale dropped a lot of serious truth bombs from the drone strike express last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adZLY7gzwxg
You'd think Obama's guys would have known that inviting celebrities whose entire shticks revolve around going after people is a bad idea, based on what Colbert did eight years ago.

Between pissing off both gamers and inside-the-beltway types, Joel McHale is probably my favorite celebrity at the moment.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

Palestinian Teens?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SedanChair posted:

"The price of Freedom"

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Prester John posted:

The worst part is that the reason Bundy ordered the charge was because God told him to. If you read some of the other articles Bundy had been told by God to get his followers to charge the Feds. He hadn't been successful so after awhile he just charged them himself and his followers came along.

They literally charged federal agents because a crazy old man is hearing orders from God. And now that following Gods orders has lead to victory once, Bundy will not hesitate to do something similar again.

Well, Bush was always saying "God ordered me to strike at them" and his favorability just keeps going up.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I've always loved how that kid is like "whatever cops"

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

SodomyGoat101 posted:

You had a couple factual errors there, I went ahead and corrected them, buddy. Seriously, though, loving Nevada, of all places, seems the most poo poo-awful place for anti-government rebellion, particularly Southern Nevada. If you're going to have a Nevada fiefdom, why not Tahoe, at least?

Too close to California? I dunno. loving go to Utah, that place is nice. Nevada's a wasteland of human civilization at the best of times, it's the only place on Earth that could make me miss Texas.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

SedanChair posted:

Human martyrs?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hedera Helix posted:

Whoever it was that compared Cliven Bundy to a warlord appears to have hit the nail on the head. (via digby)

Again I find myself seeing no problem with the feds just laying waste to every last one of these people, or disappearing them one by one were it not for the fact that we'd end up with more Oklahoma City bombings as a result, while the main instigators would remain on tv/radio and make even more money as result.

Can only imagine what the feds would've done to that Sheriff had he actually gone and tried to disarm federal agents.

pengun101 posted:

ok this poo poo is starting to anger and scare me. I understand the feds are trying to wait these assholes out, but at this rate they will start killing people for being "feds". Its obvious they are worried about disloyalty in the ranks, so i assume some purity tests will start soon, which is kinda of worrisome.

If militias start killing each other due to No True Scotsman that's pretty much the best possible outcome for everyone else. Lets the feds round up the survivors and tack numerous murder charges on to whatever else they've built up during this nonsense.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Former Sheriff, he lost election because of his Oathkeeper BS.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Y-Hat posted:

You'd think Obama's guys would have known that inviting celebrities whose entire shticks revolve around going after people is a bad idea, based on what Colbert did eight years ago.

Between pissing off both gamers and inside-the-beltway types, Joel McHale is probably my favorite celebrity at the moment.

Considering Obama and the crowd were actually laughing and Obama had made a lot of jokes on similar topics in his speech, I don't think he cared.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

1stGear posted:

Considering Obama and the crowd were actually laughing and Obama had made a lot of jokes on similar topics in his speech, I don't think he cared.

I imagine the organizers look at a guest's notes and, while I doubt they put any real pressure on them to change stuff, the combination of the White House saying, "Uh, maybe this is a little much?" and the natural inclination to not be too much of a dick at such a prestigious career event (I'd be surprised if McHale wasn't genuine when he said it was one of the coolest things he'd ever done), there's probably not much risk.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

SedanChair posted:

Ablative armor.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pharmaskittle posted:

I imagine the organizers look at a guest's notes and, while I doubt they put any real pressure on them to change stuff, the combination of the White House saying, "Uh, maybe this is a little much?" and the natural inclination to not be too much of a dick at such a prestigious career event (I'd be surprised if McHale wasn't genuine when he said it was one of the coolest things he'd ever done), there's probably not much risk.

The whole point of the event is self-deprecating humor. The only line-crossing that I can think of is the sketch GWB did where he was hunting around the White House looking for the missing Iraqi WMDs. Joking about one of your mistakes that resulted in the deaths of thousands is going a bit far IMO.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

withak posted:

The whole point of the event is self-deprecating humor. The only line-crossing that I can think of is the sketch GWB did where he was hunting around the White House looking for the missing Iraqi WMDs. Joking about one of your mistakes that resulted in the deaths of thousands is going a bit far IMO.

Oh, I agree of course. I just mean that the odds of someone getting up there and saying something the administration wasn't okay with in that setting is pretty slim. The Bush Jr WMD sketch was definitely tone deaf, to put it mildly.

gagelion
Jun 13, 2013

by XyloJW

Evil Fluffy posted:

Again I find myself seeing no problem with the feds just ... disappearing them one by one

Do you honestly feel this way? You're a creepy dude, dude.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

gagelion posted:

Do you honestly feel this way? You're a creepy dude, dude.

Yeah, I have no love for these assholes but wishing the government would just black bag them is cartoonishly evil.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pharmaskittle posted:

I just mean that the odds of someone getting up there and saying something the administration wasn't okay with in that setting is pretty slim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7FTF4Oz4dI

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm always confused by Scalia laughing his rear end off at Colbert's routine.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Colbert wasn't even the most inappropriate guest speaker for a White House Correspondents Dinner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5kpXhq5nHM

Fan and everything, but did anyone in the Clinton administration back then even watch Weekend Update at the time? And if they did, how did they think Norm would be a good fit over than to mess with people?

Pharmaskittle posted:

Oh, I agree of course. I just mean that the odds of someone getting up there and saying something the administration wasn't okay with in that setting is pretty slim. The Bush Jr WMD sketch was definitely tone deaf, to put it mildly.

Bush was like that a lot during his Presidency because he's the kind of guy that thinks he's really funny, or at least has a compulsion to insert jokes in his conversations/speeches, but honestly really isn't because he can't read the audience very well. Thus he'll say stuff that isn't really funny or get sympathetic laughs and drat was it easy for comedians back then to edit his speeches because the material writes itself (not trying to excuse poo poo like the Iraq War).

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 5, 2014

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Justin Godscock posted:

Colbert wasn't even the most inappropriate guest speaker for a White House Correspondents Dinner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5kpXhq5nHM

Fan and everything, but did anything in the Clinton administration back then even watch Weekend Update at the time? And if they did, how did they think Norm would be a good fit over than to mess with people?

Bush was like that a lot during his Presidency because he's the kind of guy that thinks he's really funny, or at least has a compulsion to insert jokes in his conversations/speeches, but honestly really isn't because he can't read the audience very well. Thus he'll say stuff that isn't really funny or get sympathetic laughs and drat was it easy for comedians back then to edit his speeches because the material writes itself (not trying to excuse poo poo like the Iraq War).

But remember, he's an emotional genius puppetmaster!!

(who can't read he own audience)

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
In which Jane Harman greatly upsets Brit Hume by accurately placing #BENGHAZI on the right wing conspiracy continuum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yymb61kORfk

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Thanks for posting this since it's hilarious and I watched the entire thing again. Sorry, I should have said that I meant the Obama administration.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

comes along bort posted:

In which Jane Harman greatly upsets Brit Hume by accurately placing #BENGHAZI on the right wing conspiracy continuum:

I was half expecting "But Vince Foster was murdered."

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm always confused by Scalia laughing his rear end off at Colbert's routine.
Because the master troll of the Supreme Court knows what's up.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Nessus posted:

Man, what problems WON'T buying a shitload more product solve? It's amazing! I love buying products.

Meanwhile, in hypocrisy news: http://www.journalnow.com/news/local/gop-candidate-was-once-a-female-impersonator/article_a1029862-5a82-5752-90e4-eac7155bce1e.html
I suppose ethically this isn't a very positive thing to do, but my own moral compass puts this in the 'condemnation of hypocrisy' camp, rather than the "lol, lbgt person!!" camp - and besides which, surely Jesus has forgiven him. Surely.

From a few pages back, but it got lost in the latest pointless Fishmech derail- you forgot the best part which was the dude also competed in and was later booted out of the Miss Gay America pageant for "conduct unbecoming to a promoter of the Miss Gay America pageant system."

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

comes along bort posted:

She could have very easily just shot back with "Colin Powell's info and talking points to the UN Security Council about Iraq turned out to be false as well, do you think there was a conspiracy to invade?"

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

comes along bort posted:

Man, she should have been better prepared for that obvious question. Saying she doesn't know just perpetuates the bullshit. It's not like it's a big mystery where individual pieces of intelligence came from at this point.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

comes along bort posted:

The best part of this video is at the end when the anchor has to actually explain that there's a question mark on the end of Fox's false statement to cover the fact that they are consciously lying about it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yeah, I have no love for these assholes but wishing the government would just black bag them is cartoonishly evil.
The most I'd want is them to make very sure that there isn't a gold fringe on the courtroom's flag when they get hauled in.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
This new Benghazi revelation may shake up the entire political landscape. I'm not sure if you realize the significance of these developments.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

But remember, he's an emotional genius puppetmaster!!

(who can't read he own audience)

Dubya or Norm?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What's their game plan exactly? Keep up this idiotic speculation all the way until the election or what?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Cabbit posted:

Dubya or Norm?

Why not both? :v:

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

What's their game plan exactly? Keep up this idiotic speculation all the way until the election or what?

Once the American people find out what Obama knew and covered up, it's game over for the Democrats for at least a generation. "What difference does it make?" will become the new "I am not a crook."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

OwlBot 2000 posted:

Once the American people find out what Obama knew and covered up, it's game over for the Democrats for at least a generation. "What difference does it make?" will become the new "I am not a crook."

Yeaaaahhh not gonna happen, though.

The "game plan" is "make drat sure nobody ever says Obama and Hillary did a better job in Libya than Bush did in Iraq."

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Samurai Sanders posted:

Sure, unless an actual scandal happens between now and then, at which point Benghazi gets relegated to a bullet point for when Sean Hannity needs to list off as many Obama scandals as he can remember. You aren't going to hear much about actual policy until after the election where they're going to win seats just because of which seats are going to be open, at which point they'll crow about how the election gave them a mandate to enact every unpopular policy they refused to talk about before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeaaaahhh not gonna happen, though.

No, but that's what conservatives think will happen. They believe it is second only to 9/11 in significance and will be shocked and utterly lost when they realize that, once again, nobody cares. I know DnD gets accused of being an echo chamber but the amount of talking point coordination between Fox, Drudge and right-wing radio is both impressive and hilarious, but it gives people the ability to know what Republicans will say before they even open their mouths.

• Locked thread