Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

De Nomolos posted:

So who's the real anti-Hillary?

A serious medical issue forcing her to withdraw from the race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

De Nomolos posted:

Democrats not becoming enraptured by a cult of personality again. AKA no one.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

De Nomolos posted:

Um...so are people in Baltimore under the impression that they're the only city that Comcast has a monopoly on? Because I'm pretty sure every city I've lived in has been the same, be it Comcast or TWC. If that's the big ice burn on him, it's pretty dumb.

If people are looking for an anti-Hillary, a Warren-less field isn't going to be good for them. And Warren is not running.

Useful for some people:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Skwirl posted:

Wow, that's amazing.

Reddit got mad at O'Malley and downvoted ALL of his answers into the negative for the following reasons:

1) Answering "What is your record for number of crabcakes managed to eat in one sitting?" with "I don't eat competitively."

2) Giving statistics and talking points-sounding answers to questions about gun control.

3) Passing gun control.

4) Redditors thinking that Baltimore is the only city where Comcast has an effective monopoly on broadband.

Most of his answers were pretty generic and political, but I don't really understand why it was such a heinous crime.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 5, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

De Nomolos posted:

The sitting President of the United States.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Reddit community is not rational.

And, being the Internet, it's very vulnerable to motivated groups barging in and overwhelming the disorganized agenda-lacking masses.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Jeb v. Hilary, Jeb wins. Calling it.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Anyone not named Obama doing AMAs either has to appear authentic or have their own Internet brigade already, so nobody not named Paul, Biden or Sanders has a shot at +rep.

Biden is the anti-Hillary btw but we've had this discussion already.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Jeb v. Hilary, Jeb wins. Calling it.

I won't believe that the worst president in 150 years' brother could get elected 8 years later. Even for as stupid a people as we are.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

mcmagic posted:

I won't believe that the worst president in 150 years' brother could get elected 8 years later. Even for as stupid a people as we are.

I dont know, I think people underestimate Jeb as a candidate and Hilary has been overestimated already. But I am not certain Bush has been rehabilitated enough image wise for his brother to win yet. If the economy us doing "better" by 2016 its still Hillarys race to lose.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

De Nomolos posted:

Obama's illegal third term election campaign.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Adar posted:

Biden is the anti-Hillary btw but we've had this discussion already.
I'm finding it hard and harder to believe that Biden is planning on running, last summer he had advisers talking about setting up his own PAC to help Democrats in the midterms but it has yet to materialize.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

DynamicSloth posted:

I'm finding it hard and harder to believe that Biden is planning on running, last summer he had advisers talking about setting up his own PAC to help Democrats in the midterms but it has yet to materialize.

Biden probably won't run, but the way he's being treated in the party is pretty unprecedented. A sitting VP for a successful president (at least he's viewed that way within the party) should be the front runner. I'll never understand why Hillary is loved so much.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Bush wasn't any great shakes as Governor of Florida (he was in charge when the whole Terri Schiavo circus went down) and he hasn't run for anything since 2002. Plus, he's spent the seven years since leaving office cahsing in, sitting on boards and stacking paper and peddling influence. He's also all over the place on one of his (and his party's) signature issues (immigration). I've never seen anything from him that indicates much political grace or savvy.

He's a weak candidate who only looks good in comparison to the rest of the field. And that's without going into the baggage he's carrying with his last name and brother's administration.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Berke Negri posted:

I dont know, I think people underestimate Jeb as a candidate and Hilary has been overestimated already. But I am not certain Bush has been rehabilitated enough image wise for his brother to win yet. If the economy us doing "better" by 2016 its still Hillarys race to lose.

Eh, there's a long way to go from "Name that makes people spit when they hear it" to "Bringing together all Conservatives and getting them to vote."

Oh and keep in mind this is while avoiding "Name that motivates Liberals to turn out in droves."

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

mcmagic posted:

Biden probably won't run, but the way he's being treated in the party is pretty unprecedented.
Not really VP's are usually unloved and treated like poo poo from George Washington's first cabinet meeting to Cheney's speech to the RNC being cancelled, Biden is relatively well treated as these things go but no incumbent VP has won his party's nomination uncontested.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

He gives a poo poo about immigration policy ergo JEB(!) is DOA.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

DynamicSloth posted:

Not really VP's are usually unloved and treated like poo poo from George Washington's first cabinet meeting to Cheney's speech to the RNC being cancelled, Biden is relatively well treated as these things go but no incumbent VP has won his party's nomination uncontested.

There is a difference between being uncontested and being 60 points down in the polls. I'm just not sure what warrants that.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
The best chance to unite the republican base right now is anyone with the last name bush. Among the republican base there's a lot of nostalgia for the bush era. See: Those billboards on the highways with bush's learning face and the text 'miss me yet?'. I believe that by 2016 we will indeed be far enough removed from the bush administration for the narrative to be nostalgia for the bush administration. The instant Jeb declares his candidacy the entire Murdoch machine is going to spin up in his favor. Hillary has the charisma of an iguana sunning itself and the media will play it as a nail biter but she will probably lose.

BUT

That's half the fun about speculating about presidential races! Last cycle was a train wreck for the republicans, a sad freakshow that basically took all of the elements that got the republicans into office in the reagan and bush years, but gave each candidate one element, like some kind of reverse republican Captain Planet. Mitt Romney was the monied interests, but his weakness was that he was a robot who couldn't convince people he wasn't a robot. Newt Gingrich was the statesman, but his weakness is that he's an utterly awful human being. Ron Paul represented the libertarian streak that has become more and more prominent in republican politics, but his weakness is that at least 50% of his ideas are completely insane. Although, as Stephen Colbert pointed out, he is usually consistent on his positions, which is more than you can say for most politicians. And then Herman Cain represented ...Heart? I guess? His weakness was that 100% of his ideas were insane. Oh, and Rick Santorum, with the power of republican jesus. He also share's Herman Cain's weakness.

But if there was one candidate that could manage to combine several of these elements without the negative traits that go with them (a la Ronald Reagan) a republican can still win in 2016. A republican who can truly and meaningfully reach out to hispanic voters could win. Jeb Bush could win.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Full Battle Rattle posted:

The best chance to unite the republican base right now is anyone with the last name bush. Among the republican base there's a lot of nostalgia for the bush era. See: Those billboards on the highways with bush's learning face and the text 'miss me yet?'.

Those aren't pro-Bush, they're anti-Obama.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
I think that unforced errors downballot may negate any outreach from the presidential campaign, especially if the errors are Akin-esque in their offensiveness. Jeb can reach out to the Hispanic community all he wants, but if he has to throw the other arm around some whackadoodle spouting off about "wetbacks," that outreach won't go very far.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

He gives a poo poo about immigration policy ergo JEB(!) is DOA.

And his wife is an honest to goodness Mexican, from Mexico. By itself it wouldn't be anything but combined with his not actually despising Mexicans it's a killer.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Hm. Nobody's mentioned Perry, and he's sure as heck running.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Warcabbit posted:

Oops.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...

Warcabbit posted:

No, we mentioned the 3 big candidates - Jeb Bush, Rand Paul, and, uh... what's the third one, there?

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Screen Door Slams posted:

No, we mentioned the 3 big candidates - Jeb Bush, Rand Paul, and, uh... what's the third one, there?

???

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

mcmagic posted:

There is a difference between being uncontested and being 60 points down in the polls. I'm just not sure what warrants that.
Well they were both on offer in the last open Democratic Primary and Biden failed to wow just about anybody.

A contested election means Biden will be expected to compete, through fundraising, organizing and campaigning. It's too early for the last of those but Hillary already has a huge head start on the other two fronts.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mcmagic posted:

Plus, his election would be proof positive that democracy in America is dead and buried and that the American Oligarchy, or maybe American Plutocracy, will exist into the foreseeable future. We would have one family being the official power behind one political party for the span of 36 years and the only family able to win the presidency for 28 years. I can't imagine how destabilizing that might be.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Berke Negri posted:

I agree. Hillary hasn't proven she can run anything with effectiveness. Her previous campaign was a disaster if you consider their mistakes. It wouldn't surprise me if she brought back on a lot of those same idiots to her 2016 campaign too. Clinton just got done in Jan 2013 paying off her campaign debt to Mark Penn. Their 2008 campaign didn't even realize that delegates were allocated proportionally at some points.

Obama's campaign effectiveness was probably one of the better or the best we will see in our lifetimes. A Hillary Clinton campaign will not even be close in terms of effectiveness and you'll have an even higher percentage of overall money coming from outside GOP sources in 2016.

I'm hoping for a different candidate because I don't think Clinton is a very good bet, especially since the consequence of losing is the chance of having all 3 branches being GOP.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
A major difference is that Obama will be campaigning *for* Hillary this time (assuming she wins the nomination).

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

radical meme posted:

Plus, his election would be proof positive that democracy in America is dead and buried and that the American Oligarchy, or maybe American Plutocracy, will exist into the foreseeable future.

Good, because I just checked my files and it turns out I haven't amassed enough proof of this yet.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

My biggest fear is basically Clinton's campaign being a repeat of 2008 and she just alienates a lot of people Obama has gathered into a national voting coalition.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Berke Negri posted:

My biggest fear is basically Clinton's campaign being a repeat of 2008 and she just alienates a lot of people Obama has gathered into a national voting coalition.

The chances that Hillary will be competing against Obama for the nomination in 2016 are very low.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Some minor big news out of the DNC's RBC:

1. They are not changing the penalty rules for states holding early contests, so we're back in the 2008 realm of penalizing states 50% of their delegates for early contests, until everyone except the frontrunner concedes, meaning they're back to 100% of their delegates or some compromise. If Hillary is running, this won't matter this time anyway, which is probably why the rule was left unchanged.

2. Iowa may hold its contest 29 days before the first Tuesday in March. New Hampshire may hold their contest 21 days before the first Tuesday in March. Nevada may hold its contest 10 days before the first Tuesday in March. South Carolina may hold its contest 3 days before the first Tuesday in March. The latter will most likely conflict with Arizona and Michigan jumping into February again. Florida is looking a bit more sane this cycle (!!) and will probably hold its contest in March. If other states push into early February, as they did in 2012, expect Bill Gardner to freak the gently caress out.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

DynamicSloth posted:

The chances that Hillary will be competing against Obama for the nomination in 2016 are very low.

This. A large part of why Hillary 2008 came off as so floundering is that regardless of what you think of his presidency, Obama's candidacy was one for the record books for good reason. Not that the Mark Penn bullshit was eyeroll-worthy, but the main reason that even came into play was she wasn't expecting a real primary fight at all, and got blitzed.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
NH State Constitution requires the primary be held at least 1 week before any similar nominating contest so regardless of what the plan is NH's primary date isn't set until everyone else's is.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Pook Good Mook posted:

NH State Constitution requires the primary be held at least 1 week before any similar nominating contest so regardless of what the plan is NH's primary date isn't set until everyone else's is.

Yup! Hence Bill Gardner freaking the gently caress out. He threatened (and very nearly had to make good on it before Nevada caved) to go into December during the 2012 cycle. He'll definitely take the DNC's penalty (thought I'm not sure that applies to the carve-out states) if it means pushing the NH primary date back to accommodate the state constitution.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

FMguru posted:

He's a weak candidate who only looks good in comparison to the rest of the field. And that's without going into the baggage he's carrying with his last name and brother's administration.

Don't kid yourself. He's a Bush, and he's more H.W. than W. He's a top tier candidate.

And Perry will be DOA in 2016. He's just too dumb.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Uhh, he's got glasses now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Don't kid yourself. He's a Bush, and he's more H.W. than W. He's a top tier candidate.

Yeah, if he can somehow elide the whole "brother to GWB" thing I bet, if the GOP got their heads out of their asses, would be a very competitive candidate. Not that I think he'd necessarily be a good president, but I'd worry more about him in the general than Rand "I hate Civil Rights" Paul.

edit: Unlike their father, Bush's sons aren't terrible campaigners so I definitely wouldn't be "he's terrible".

• Locked thread