Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Attention prisoners in jailhouse wing Henan: what ISPs are you using? My employer supplies an ADSL connection to some unknown service provider (I suspect it's China Unicom) but I suspect they opted only for slowest and cheapest plan. I'm wondering if there are any alternatives in my town, but I've got no way to check. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Woodsy Owl posted:

Attention prisoners in jailhouse wing Henan: what ISPs are you using? My employer supplies an ADSL connection to some unknown service provider (I suspect it's China Unicom) but I suspect they opted only for slowest and cheapest plan. I'm wondering if there are any alternatives in my town, but I've got no way to check. Any ideas?

If you're on a university campus you won't get a choice. If not, then I have no idea and, to be quite honest, switching service providers or throwing more money at the issue sounds like something with the potential to cost alot of effort for little result.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I was on a similar situation in chongqing capped at 25kb/s, and there were no other hookups in the building. I paid a small amount of money for some company to run an Ethernet cable from the third floor of a building hundreds of feet away and into my window. That got me like 100kb/sec at off peak time And like dial up speed at peak time

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I'd forget any option that doesn't involve running fiber to your apartment.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Nothing any of y'all have said is more chilling than dialup speeds.

I'll take babies pooping on tables any day.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eifert Posting posted:

Living in China on dialup is pretty awful. That might sound goony as gently caress but the Internet, even in China, is designed today for speeds at least three times that. Most the entertainment I have in my life comes from the Internet and at those speeds even 10MB downloads fail constantly. You can't even really look at images online and it makes making PowerPoint presentations take twice as long.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm probably in the minority but not having internet doesn't really bug me, but kids making GBS threads and pissing all over the place while their parents congratulate them and fawn all over them really rubs me the wrong way. But I've probably been in China too long so take that view with a grain of salt I guess.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

After years of having a 100 mbit connection in my apartment for basically free it's hard to imagine being in a place without that. You have to wait for stuff to download? :negative:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hong Kong is safe.

AfroNinja
Oct 24, 2006
I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT EXPLOITING WOMEN BECAUSE I HAVE A SMALL DICK AND DESERVE TO TAKE A BULLET IN THE SKULL

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Living in China on dialup is pretty awful. That might sound goony as gently caress but the Internet, even in China, is designed today for speeds at least three times that. Most the entertainment I have in my life comes from the Internet and at those speeds even 10MB downloads fail constantly. You can't even really look at images online and it makes making PowerPoint presentations take twice as long.

Aint that the goddamn TRUTH

MUMMYMTN
May 22, 2003
So it says in the OP that it's a bad idea to exchange currency outside of China/HK, and to just use an international ATM at the airport or a local bank once you arrive, instead. Doe this advice still hold up? I'm going to Shanghai from the U.S. in a couple of weeks and I'm wondering if I need to have some walking around money on hand before I get there or if it's best to wait.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ATMs work just about exactly the same here as in the US and they all have English language options. Unless you have some pressing need for cash you can hit an ATM in the airport.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

1Gbit internet crew holla

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

MUMMYMTN posted:

So it says in the OP that it's a bad idea to exchange currency outside of China/HK, and to just use an international ATM at the airport or a local bank once you arrive, instead. Doe this advice still hold up? I'm going to Shanghai from the U.S. in a couple of weeks and I'm wondering if I need to have some walking around money on hand before I get there or if it's best to wait.

Exchanging RMB at a US bank will screw you hard, in my experience anyway. Fearcotton took a few hundred RMB to the largest bank in Pittsburgh after she got home from a trip in college and the rate was loving awful. I really doubt it's changed since then (2010).

Arglebargle III posted:

ATMs work just about exactly the same here as in the US and they all have English language options. Unless you have some pressing need for cash you can hit an ATM in the airport.

On a related note, I was really surprised last summer to find that the exchange rates for withdrawing RMB as USD in the States was so damned good. We were getting paid by the office over our vacation and I wanted to pull the salaries from our BoC accounts out to stash in our American bank. The PLUS network ATMs gave perfect exchange rates. I'd been prepared to get rooked.

goldboilermark posted:

I'm probably in the minority but not having internet doesn't really bug me, but kids making GBS threads and pissing all over the place while their parents congratulate them and fawn all over them really rubs me the wrong way. But I've probably been in China too long so take that view with a grain of salt I guess.

It's their culture, please respect it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

blinkyzero posted:

On a related note, I was really surprised last summer to find that the exchange rates for withdrawing RMB as USD in the States was so damned good. We were getting paid by the office over our vacation and I wanted to pull the salaries from our BoC accounts out to stash in our American bank. The PLUS network ATMs gave perfect exchange rates. I'd been prepared to get rooked.

This is why Pro-PRC recommended getting an extra debit card and sending it to a family member back home to use as a method for sending money back to the US, instead of wire transfers or Western Union.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

MeramJert posted:

This is why Pro-PRC recommended getting an extra debit card and sending it to a family member back home to use as a method for sending money back to the US, instead of wire transfers or Western Union.

We may have listened. :greenangel:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MeramJert posted:

Yeah I do this. Whatever my complaints about my job I officially have enough money to pay off my student loans now. :unsmith:

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've probably mentioned this in the thread before, but you will legitimately make more friends and learn more Chinese if you spend less time inside on the internet. This will in turn lead to more job opportunities (关系). I'm sure you all have smart phones for your internet social needs anyway, I certainly did. Go outside, watch what's on TV and learn some new lingo (SO FASHION!), read a book, do some studying.

Think of the possibilities!

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

NaanViolence posted:

I've probably mentioned this in the thread before, but you will legitimately make more friends and learn more Chinese if you spend less time inside on the internet. This will in turn lead to more job opportunities (关系). I'm sure you all have smart phones for your internet social needs anyway, I certainly did. Go outside, watch what's on TV and learn some new lingo (SO FASHION!), read a book, do some studying.

Think of the possibilities!

This is very good advice just in general for life, not just living in China.

I would suggest getting a smart phone for living in China, my first three years I didn't have one and after I got one not only did living here become much easier but my Chinese improved dramatically.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I often think how my Chinese would be better if I had started studying when electronic dictionaries on smartphones were widely available. Smart phones did not become ubiquitous in the US until after I was finished with college. Therefore I was stuck with paper dictionaries for most of my Chinese learning experience in the classroom .. Using a smartphone dictionary is so much faster and so much easier that I'm convinced my vocabulary would be significantly larger today had I had access to the technology my students take for granted when I was starting to learn in high school.

Because seriously gently caress Chinese paper dictionaries, especially the 14 volume classical to modern Chinese dictionary in the college library.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

The biggest reason to own a smartphone in China, imo, is using baidu or sougou maps to navigate the public transport. I literally have no idea how people figured out bus routes here before those existed. Chengdu will often have 4-5 stops with the same name that are on different streets and like 250m away from one another, so even if you know the stop you want to get off at you might get taken in a totally opposite direction.

Not to mention the stops are so numerous I can't imagine any map being of much use when looking them up. The 1.5km road between my office and my apartment has no less than 6 stops.

Also the fact they tend to change on a moments notice, and somehow baidu and sougou are able to keep up with it all.

You can make a different kind of Chinese friend if you spend all your time playing DOTA2 and 炉石专硕 and looking at Mop. You'll also learn different slang!!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Magna Kaser posted:

I literally have no idea how people figured out bus routes here before those existed.

You can use a normal phone and call a bus hotline and tell them where you are and where you want to go and the person on the phone will tell you which bus to take. Or just go to the stops and read which buses stop there and where they go. And then when a bus comes that you think might take you near where you want to go, you stand in the doorway and ask the driver if it goes to _____ and the driver will tell you if it goes there or somewhere close to there.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 6, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Note: drivers will lie to you sometimes.

One time during heavy construction I was having real difficulty getting to work and asked a bus driver if he was stopping at X stop. He didn't even look at me and shook his head. Some passengers in the front started yelling at him and told me yes, the bus did go there.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MeramJert posted:

You can use a normal phone and call a bus hotline and tell them where you are and where you want to go and the person on the phone will tell you which bus to take. Or just go to the stops and read which buses stop there and where they go. And then when a bus comes that you think might take you near where you want to go, you stand in the doorway and ask the driver if it goes to _____ and the driver will tell you if it goes there or somewhere close to there.

This is pretty much how I get around if I'm not walking or using the underground, I know generally what stops are near where so I just try to find a stop near where I'm going if it is not that close. The bus drivers don't ever seem too keen on answering any of my questions though, can't say I blame them, I would hate being a bus driver in the city center.

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 6, 2014

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

MeramJert posted:

ok but really, within 1 block of my apartment there are at least 8 bus stops. Within 2 blocks we're probably close to 20. I could go to every stop, see what buses go there (keeping in mind even if they're the "same" stop across the street from one another, usually different buses go to each), see where they go on the little maps which kind of suck, and then hope one of them goes near where I want. Or I could use baidu maps and it'll tell me exactly which bus stop and which buses and their routes.

I wouldn't call someone cause I'm a goon and that involves interacting with people.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
There are close to 20 bus stops within two blocks of your apartment? :wtc:

I live in the middle of the city center and there are maybe...four within a five to eight minute walk of my apartment. :stare:

edit: actually there are 6

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Magna Kaser posted:

ok but really, within 1 block of my apartment there are at least 8 bus stops. Within 2 blocks we're probably close to 20. I could go to every stop, see what buses go there (keeping in mind even if they're the "same" stop across the street from one another, usually different buses go to each), see where they go on the little maps which kind of suck, and then hope one of them goes near where I want. Or I could use baidu maps and it'll tell me exactly which bus stop and which buses and their routes.

I wouldn't call someone cause I'm a goon and that involves interacting with people.

If you have baidu maps on a smartphone by all means use that. I'm just telling you could do it without baidu maps since you said you had literally no idea. I forgot another big method: ask other people. One of my coworkers was the person who originally told me which bus to take to get home from work.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
what if you're autistic and can't talk to other people in person?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Arakan posted:

It can be a slow process, then. I take walks around my neighborhood and I'll stop for 30 seconds by the bus stops and quickly check which buses stop there. After a few months I'd pretty much memorized which buses could take me close to home, and now if I'm out somewhere I can just walk up to a bus stop and quickly check if there are any familiar buses. I didn't have to interact with any people to do this, but it took time.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Arakan posted:

I believe I mentioned this was the case for me.

goldboilermark posted:

There are close to 20 bus stops within two blocks of your apartment? :wtc:

I live in the middle of the city center and there are maybe...four within a five to eight minute walk of my apartment. :stare:

edit: actually there are 6

I live pretty close to the city center of Chengdu, which is incidentally the biggest shopping district. 20 may have been an exaggeration, so I looked at baidu maps and they didn't even have all the bus stops so I added a few that I know exist.

I think making this map proves my first point in this post.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

You can avoid this whole problem by living in Yuyao where there are zero interesting places to take a bus to anyway.

Sychopath
Sep 27, 2000

goldboilermark posted:

This is pretty much how I get around if I'm not walking or using the underground, I know generally what stops are near where so I just try to find a stop near where I'm going if it is not that close. The bus drivers don't ever seem too keen on answering any of my questions though, can't say I blame them, I would hate being a bus driver in the city center.

A fun fact I learned while watching a Chinese matchmaking show that had a bus driver as a guest, he said that the bus drivers in China are not paid hourly, instead they are done for the day when they finish their route quota. Which is why they all drive like madmen speeding as fast as they can from stop to stop because the sooner they finish the earlier they are done with their day.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Understanding that almost everyone in China makes a monthly salary, not an hourly wage, explains a lot about why things happen the way they do here..

For example restaurants staff for peak time (like weddings) so most of their employees just spend all their time standing around doing nothing, which doesn't cost the owners anything so they don't care.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm opening a store. I'm gonna need like, eighty people to stand in the aisles.

What? No, they just stand there. I guess they can bother the customers a bit and block carts? Mostly just chilling out.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

bad day posted:

Understanding that almost everyone in China makes a monthly salary, not an hourly wage, explains a lot about why things happen the way they do here..

Why is this, anyway? Tax reasons? If I remember rightly, this did have something to do with it. Or just general inability to do a biweekly payroll? If our university's accountants are any indication of the rest of the country's bookkeeping, I'd believe it.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Lack of hourly minimum wage laws? American businesses pay hourly wages because of employment laws but there seems to be no minimum wage or overtime here so it's just cheaper to buy a whole person a month at a time and let them sit around doing nothing at the times you don't need them. I don't really know, but have never heard of anyone getting hourly pay or overtime outside of foreigners.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Hong Kong also mostly does monthly salaries, despite there being a minimum wage (although it's only 4 years old), and passable accounting practices.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

bad day posted:

Lack of hourly minimum wage laws? American businesses pay hourly wages because of employment laws but there seems to be no minimum wage or overtime here so it's just cheaper to buy a whole person a month at a time and let them sit around doing nothing at the times you don't need them. I don't really know, but have never heard of anyone getting hourly pay or overtime outside of foreigners.

It's about government licenses and job creation silly.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Bloodnose posted:

Hong Kong also mostly does monthly salaries, despite there being a minimum wage (although it's only 4 years old), and passable accounting practices.

No OT though, or people may actually have time to have sex with their wives or have a life after work. No max working hours, anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

bad day posted:

China actually only has hourly wages, there's almost no legal concept of a salaried worker, and there are very strict overtime laws. As far as I can tell though, this only comes up when foreign companies get sued by former employees for violating these things.