Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

See, that's why the co-commentator is actually sitting next to him. Because Phil would be completely unable to get away from the criticism through virtue of the internet, so the person on the couch could slap him upside the head and dog him until he gets cowed into either changing his tactics or rage quitting LP.

I'm pretty sure Phil could just tell at the person to get out of his house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Genocyber posted:

I'm pretty sure Phil could just tell at the person to get out of his house.

Appropriate application of dope slaps will solve that.

Hoppeduppeanut
Oct 27, 2013

slowbeef posted:

But he has 25k videos

Jesus gently caress.

How does one person make that many videos complaining about how video games are 'buggy' and getting mad about them, even if it is a stupid gimmick? How does anyone make that many videos and not get bored as hell about it?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hoppeduppeanut posted:

Jesus gently caress.

How does one person make that many videos complaining about how video games are 'buggy' and getting mad about them, even if it is a stupid gimmick? How does anyone make that many videos and not get bored as hell about it?

Honestly, I'm not even sure how to make that many videos. Like, even if you're pretty crappy at it and don't bother with any editing, you still need to spend time playing and uploading. If it only took him 1 hour to make each of his videos (including the time it took to wait for it to upload to Youtube), it would take a little under 3 years. 3 years of doing nothing that does not involve recording, editing, or uploading a video.

How do you accomplish that?

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

General Ironicus posted:

This is your reminder that we are hosting a panel on LP at the Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo on Sunday morning. And a big thank you to the people who submitted questions for the Q&A portion. Please join us for video game church if you are able: http://c2e214.mapyourshow.com/5_0/sessions/sessiondetails.cfm?ScheduledSessionID=11AB

Forgive me If I am being selectively blind. Did this ever get reposted on the internet?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Major_JF posted:

Forgive me If I am being selectively blind. Did this ever get reposted on the internet?

It should be up within the next couple of days, judging my Kamoc's Twitter.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

chitoryu12 posted:

Honestly, I'm not even sure how to make that many videos. Like, even if you're pretty crappy at it and don't bother with any editing, you still need to spend time playing and uploading. If it only took him 1 hour to make each of his videos (including the time it took to wait for it to upload to Youtube), it would take a little under 3 years. 3 years of doing nothing that does not involve recording, editing, or uploading a video.

He has several parts of his process that are automated, that being how he managed to upload two second-long videos occasionally and why almost every single video is titled the same with no information about the content besides what game it is in the descriptions. He also cuts them into very small chunks, barely any of them being much longer than the minimum requirement for a video to qualify for monetisation. The encoding and uploading can also run through the night or while he's recording other videos; he does two streams a day, so the time between them is when he probably edits and starts encoding.

Lastly, he has been going for three years. Longer, even.

Major_JF posted:

In the next day or so it should be up, I think.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

chitoryu12 posted:

I first became aware of DSP's channel at the console release of Street Fighter 4, over five years ago. I get the sense that he'd been putting out videos for months before that too. It's still a ludicrous amount of time, but it's not outright impossible.

Also, what on earth makes you think DSP edits anything he does?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

chitoryu12 posted:

By first accomplishing nothing else.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

inthesto posted:

Also, what on earth makes you think DSP edits anything he does?

Ready for the kicker? He does. Sorta.

If you watch the end of one video and the beginning of the next, there's sometimes a gap. I have no idea what he decides to keep. To be frank, I'm not even sure it's a manual thing. It makes no sense what he leaves in and what he doesn't. I think maybe his camcorder just had some downtime when it saved one file to the next and he was like "whatever".

He says he's been doing this since 2008, I think. So six years = over 4000 videos a year, which means 11-12 A DAY. This is probably the real reason he didn't want to learn Premiere at the behest of his fans or switch from camcorder to direct capture: he actually did not have the spare time to take a break to keep his insane amount of output.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Living the dream.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

It probably takes him a little over an hour for 4 videos - they seem to average around 15 minutes, and most of his rendering/uploading process is automated. So if he worked a normal 7 hour work day he could make around 28 videos per day.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
So I clicked a random FFX video that he uploaded today because hey, he can't gently caress up FFX too much, I love FFX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGNtbTnJuB0

This is what I was presented with. The first two minutes are just so goddamn

I literally hate the fact that this idiot is so popular.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

I'm not being trite or trolling, but this thread needs a rename, more then half of the content is about DSP. I know what the topic is when the thread has 20 new posts.

Anywho what's the general thoughts on Steveschwindt? I liked him when I very first started started watching LP's ( before coming here) and knew what quality was but his reliance on silly voices eventually grated on me and drove me away.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Is he really that popular? I've never heard anyone say anything positive about DSP, even in the dregs of YouTube comments. If anything, his fame comes from being widely hated, rather than anyone actually enjoying his content.

Really, the fact that he makes a living off of what he does is more a testament to the argument that advertising is horrible and it needs to be burned to the ground.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

slowbeef posted:

Ready for the kicker? He does. Sorta.

If you watch the end of one video and the beginning of the next, there's sometimes a gap. I have no idea what he decides to keep. To be frank, I'm not even sure it's a manual thing. It makes no sense what he leaves in and what he doesn't. I think maybe his camcorder just had some downtime when it saved one file to the next and he was like "whatever".

He says he's been doing this since 2008, I think. So six years = over 4000 videos a year, which means 11-12 A DAY. This is probably the real reason he didn't want to learn Premiere at the behest of his fans or switch from camcorder to direct capture: he actually did not have the spare time to take a break to keep his insane amount of output.

It's not like Premier is even difficult to learn. I taught myself how to use it when I got tired of a "professional" videographer loving up a project and I decided that I would just do it myself. The same night I downloaded it, I got a rough cut of the video I wanted from the raw footage and I had never actually done in-depth editing before. It's not like DSP is making very complicated videos that would take more than a few minutes of effort to cut together.

The thing is, Phil doesn't need the gigantic output for anything except ad revenue. A regular release schedule is good for your viewership (better than dumping a huge load of content with long intervals between or sporadic dribbles), but even just two or three a week is enough to keep your fanbase satisfied unless your fanbase is made up of terrible, greedy children (then again....).

I think literally the only reason he needs such a huge amount of videos is because, as you said, the sheer number of monetized videos helps make up for the relatively mediocre fanbase size.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Roar posted:

So I clicked a random FFX video that he uploaded today because hey, he can't gently caress up FFX too much, I love FFX.

DSP truly shows his prowess as a scatman. And I mean that in the non-musical sense.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Major_JF posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG0A9Ujgyjc

Tah-dah!

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ChipCheezum/Keyblade is my one true pairing.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Haha, Voidburger calling out the sandcastle. Good job.

Also, Ironicus mentioned OBS using as a video recording program. I actually used that for my entire La-Mulana LP, its REALLY GOOD for recording indie/8-32 bit games since there's far less details in the process so you can record hours of footage for like 800MB and its fantastic! Doesn't do too well for modern games though, so watch out.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 7, 2014

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

Highwang posted:

Also, Ironicus mentioned OBS using as a video recording program. I actually used that for my entire La-Mulana LP, its REALLY GOOD for recording indie/8-32 bit games since there's far less details in the process so you can record hours of footage for like 800MB and its fantastic! Doesn't do too well for modern games though, so watch out.

For being a free program, OBS is really too good.

I really enjoyed the LP panel, I just wish there was slightly more time for some more questions at the end.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Highwang posted:

I watched the video, but must have paid attention to something else during that part. What did she say?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

just what do you bring to the table?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hm. The commentary was really interesting. I didn't really recognise what game you were playing in this vid, but that's okay. However, the microphone work was a bit disappointing. You folks should know by now that you ought to talk into the microphone at all times. Voting 3 out of 5 for this LP.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Roar posted:

Having not had much exposure to DSP other than Slowbeef mimicking him in that Dark Souls stream and the Retsupurae collab video, I watched the first two minutes of that. I figured the whole thing on the part of people making those was a parody where they exaggerated somewhat how bad his commentary can be.

How wrong I was. :suicide:

Mr. Soop fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 7, 2014

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Mr. Soop posted:

Having not had much exposure to DSP other than Slowbeef mimicking him in that Dark Souls stream and the Retsupurae collab video I watched the first two minutes. I figured the whole thing on the part of people making those was a parody where they exaggerated somewhat how bad his commentary can be.

I remember clicking the final part of his Revengeance LP (yeah, he somehow beat it; I just needed to know HOW he did it) and when the boy was talking to the little girl, he gleefully said "touch her boobs" or something like that.

Yeah...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mr. Soop posted:

Having not had much exposure to DSP other than Slowbeef mimicking him in that Dark Souls stream and the Retsupurae collab video, I watched the first two minutes of that. I figured the whole thing on the part of people making those was a parody where they exaggerated somewhat how bad his commentary can be.

"How do you leave? How do you leave?

How do you leave?"

"Oh, I just pressed a random button and it just randomly brought me up here?"

It's really not an exaggeration. The parody is exactly like him.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

inthesto posted:

Is he really that popular? I've never heard anyone say anything positive about DSP, even in the dregs of YouTube comments. If anything, his fame comes from being widely hated, rather than anyone actually enjoying his content.

Really, the fact that he makes a living off of what he does is more a testament to the argument that advertising is horrible and it needs to be burned to the ground.

DSP is LP reality television.

You don't watch it because you like the people, you watch it because you enjoy watching a feckless wreck of a human being be so on camera.

Or, if you're me, you watch the edited highlight reel with the peanut gallery spliced over the top of it and silly music edited in when you're really bored.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
"Eye-ons"? They say it in the game!

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
The real question is: does he pronounce Tidus like "tye-dus" or "tee-dus" ?

I didn't bother watching enough to check. DSP probably found some third way nobody would ever think to say it.

heytallman fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 8, 2014

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

heytallman posted:

The real question is: does he pronounce Tidus like "tye-dus" or "tee-dus" ?

I didn't bother watching enough to check. DSP probably found some third way nobody would ever think to say it.

Tid [pronounced like Cid]-us [use without an e]

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

RareAcumen posted:

So, not like anyone with a functioning brain?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I also would like to point out that he also had played Kingdom Hearts. Which also figured the same character and they pronounced his name tee-dus there as well.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Brassherald posted:

So, not like anyone with a functioning brain?

Oh poo poo, no I don't even know. I was making up something unintelligible as a joke. :v: I can't even watch eight minutes of Highlight reel DSP so I have no idea.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Tidd-ooze?

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Sounds almost like he was trying to pronounce it like a Latin word.

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

DSP is LP reality television.

You don't watch it because you like the people, you watch it because you enjoy watching a feckless wreck of a human being be so on camera.

Or, if you're me, you watch the edited highlight reel with the peanut gallery spliced over the top of it and silly music edited in when you're really bored.

The difference is reality tv is 99% scripted and this train wreck is supposedly real.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Eulisker posted:

The difference is reality tv is 99% scripted and this train wreck is supposedly real.

I don't think I'd believe him even if he came out and said "DSP was all a joke! I'm really a nice guy who's good at video games and bathes! You all got trolled!"

How many people have tried to pull that bullshit to try and save face? Even Chris-Chan himself made a video like that once.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't think I'd believe him even if he came out and said "DSP was all a joke! I'm really a nice guy who's good at video games and bathes! You all got trolled!"

How many people have tried to pull that bullshit to try and save face? Even Chris-Chan himself made a video like that once.

In the case of DPS, that kind of a reveal would just be swapping one disorder for another, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

chitoryu12 posted:

He posts a video. As he explains that the DSP thing was all an act, he takes off the fake beard and fatsuit, revealing that he was Elvis all along.

• Locked thread