Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

The moment you equip Avelyn you have officially given up your funhaver card.

Not instantly getting owned by hexers sounds fun to me I dunno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

So in case anyone was wondering, I can confirm that covenant points carry over into ng+ whether you stay in that covenant or not. I only had to give two sun medals to rank up to the first reward in Heirs to the Sun and I'd not only gone to ng+ but dropped the covenant for the bellboys in Belfry Luna.

Sunlight Spear is ridiculous, by the way.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

babypolis posted:

Not instantly getting owned by hexers sounds fun to me I dunno

Dark Infused Rebel's Greatshield is more important for that if you ask me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Take a chill pill. Everybody gets lag in every game every now and then.
DS2 connectivity and server performance is vastly improved over DS1 as far as I'm concerned, but I'm a co-op guy. The difference between GFWL and Steam is huge.

Sure, it's marginally better but it's still not acceptable. No other game from a big developer will have a lovely netcode like that and also, why including an option that does nothing? I expected Restricted Cross-Region Play to not matchmake with with people on the other side of the world or is it there just for placebo?
Wouldn't it be logical to make that work when your netcode is this bad?

I'm also still annoyed by all the other stuff they promised and failed to deliver, like resolution support and pc controls that doesn't require third-party software to use properly.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Jack Trades posted:

From is a bunch of incompetent apes.

Before release they were swearing that this time they're focusing on multiplayer and that it's going to lag free this time. Just like most other things they promised it obviously tuned out to be total bullshit.
Three times in a row now I got killed while being 3-5 meter from the opponent, walking backwards, and they somehow managed to backstab me. I literally teleported 5 meters into a backstab animation.

Okay, fine. I suppose that network code is hard to program or something but tell me, what's the point of the "Restricted Cross-Region Play" option if it's going to matchmake me, from central Europe, with people from Australia?

Pre-release promotional materials had so much bullshit in them I don't think I'll ever pre-order anything else again, especially from From.

Hey fuckwad, I live in NZ and haven't had any lag when invading other people.

Maybe your lovely European internet should stop smoking weed and making up stupid words and try connecting properly.

Jack Trades posted:

I'm also still annoyed by all the other stuff they promised and failed to deliver, like resolution support and pc controls that doesn't require third-party software to use properly.

Now you just sound retarded. I selected 1800p natively in the game and plugged a 360 pad in and it works.

Shut up, idiot.

Moongrave fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 6, 2014

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Game instances are still probably hosted on players clients, while the matchmaking is much more robust this time round due to dedicated servers for that?

Netcode probably can't help much if one player is lagging it up.

Also would like to praise Darksouls port for being stable as gently caress, haven't seen the game poo poo itself in the week I've spent on this.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Hey fuckwad, I live in NZ and haven't had any lag when invading other people.

Maybe your lovely European internet should stop smoking weed and making up stupid words and try connecting properly.

Hey back, dumbwit. I've got a 100Mbps line and nothing will give you a good ping to people on the opposite side of the globe.

Now you just sound retarded. I selected 1800p natively in the game and plugged a 360 pad in and it works.

Shut up, idiot.

Show me a screenshot of DS2 that doesn't letterbox any resolution in aspect-ratio other than 16:9 and then I'll shut up, until then, go gently caress yourself.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Nah, the moment you power stance Avelyns you give up your funhaver card. Just one is reasonable.

I dunno man

Is there a cowboy hat in the game? I think we can work with this.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Spent most of tonight in the blood arena. Earned Rank 2 and the smoky white dark aura for my dark spirit form!

I also amassed a pile of 73 cracked red eye orbs in process. Tomorrow I'm gonna depopulate another zone. The noobs and gaming dads aren't fearful enough yet.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Jack Trades posted:

Hey back, dumbwit. I've got a 100Mbps line and nothing will give you a good ping to people on the opposite side of the globe.

Show me a screenshot of DS2 that doesn't letterbox any resolution in aspect-ratio other than 16:9 and then I'll shut up, until then, go gently caress yourself.

Oh no not a loving LETTERBOX on 16:10, a defunct aspect ratio?!!?! loving FROM GOD DAMNIT poo poo PISSSSSSS.

I have two 16:10 screens and I don't give a gently caress about a little bit of letter boxing because I'm not some spastic European autist blubbering about a Japanese port of a console game.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
How do you guys deal with poison EVERYTHING builds in PvP? With katanas and butterfly stuff?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Gamerofthegame posted:

I dunno man

Is there a cowboy hat in the game? I think we can work with this.

Durgo's hat is sorta like a cowboy hat. Also has a monocle on it.

Good luck getting it though.

Pain

in

the

rear end.

You thought one time spawners was bad? How about on the King's Door that leads to the ThroneWatcher/Defender and that red phantom archer is the one who drops it. Oh a low rate too.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 6, 2014

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Internet Kraken posted:

The moment you equip Avelyn you have officially given up your funhaver card.

Using hexes and resonant santiers in pvp is basically the same thing, that's when I pull my avelyn out of its sheath marked 'IN THE EVENT OF SHITLORD' and shoot them to death while they flail around spasticly than emote 'mock' till they light dies in their pathetic eyes.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Artificer posted:

How do you guys deal with poison EVERYTHING builds in PvP? With katanas and butterfly stuff?

Hey that's me!

The trick is have some moss in your back pocket, The poison weapons are all trash for damage if you can moss out of the dots, also if they're using anything fast get a scimitar or sheild in your offhand and parry they.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Uninstalled BetterDS3 after it made Dark Souls 2 BSOD five times in a row. People recommended Xinput, worked fine till today, when the game stopped recognizing my controller. :sigh:

Any ideas?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Motherfucker posted:

Using hexes and resonant santiers in pvp is basically the same thing, that's when I pull my avelyn out of its sheath marked 'IN THE EVENT OF SHITLORD' and shoot them to death while they flail around spasticly than emote 'mock' till they light dies in their pathetic eyes.

Today I one-shot a havel with great resonant soul and I felt really good about it. I also killed a guy named Havel with forbidden sun. Then I returned to the lava from whence I came.

quote:

Eat a fruit, or stay back. Or kill them first I guess.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Motherfucker posted:

Hey that's me!

The trick is have some moss in your back pocket, The poison weapons are all trash for damage if you can moss out of the dots, also if they're using anything fast get a scimitar or sheild in your offhand and parry they.

Why the scimitar?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Oh man 3 Havels on 1 invasions are SO FUN. :negative:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Stupid amount of window to parry.

It's probably one of the best weapons to parry with. (Schimtar)

But if you want the best one, the Monastery Schimtar is pretty much the best parry weapon.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Shindragon posted:

Stupid amount of window to parry.

It's probably one of the best weapons to parry with.

What's the best scimitar damage wise?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh no not a loving LETTERBOX on 16:10, a defunct aspect ratio?!!?! loving FROM GOD DAMNIT poo poo PISSSSSSS.

I have two 16:10 screens and I don't give a gently caress about a little bit of letter boxing because I'm not some spastic European autist blubbering about a Japanese port of a console game.

Aww, don't say that, you're gonna hurt my feelings.

Excuse me for having higher standards than you but there's been only 2 other recent AAA games that didn't support other aspect ratios and I was kind of expecting more from a 60 dollar game.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Alan Smithee posted:

What's the best scimitar damage wise?

Red Rust scimitar.

Kill Vengarl's body and then talk to him and he sells it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Boys boys boys put your red sign down already Jesus

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Shindragon posted:

Durgo's hat is sorta like a cowboy hat. Also has a monocle on it.

Good luck getting it though.

Pain

in

the

rear end.

You thought one time spawners was bad? How about on the King's Door that leads to the ThroneWatcher/Defender and that red phantom archer is the one who drops it. Oh a low rate too.

Oh christ those fuckers are seriously more menacing than nearly any boss if you don't cheese 'em :gonk:. I so don't want to farm them for a sweet hat.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Shindragon posted:

Red Rust scimitar.

Kill Vengarl's body and then talk to him and he sells it.

As a Faith build with 30 STR, how would the RRS fare if it was Lightning infused?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Shut up, idiot.

Sure, letterboxing on 8:5 and controls so bad, even DS1s default controls are better and they've shown they're trying at least, but fail at the most basic poo poo.

Defunc lol

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

GreenBuckanneer posted:

even DS1s default controls are better

wait what :psyduck:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Has anyone here been able to powerstance effectively in PvP with anything larger than straight swords? I'm nearly always only using my right hand weapon at the moment and very rarely do I actually land a powerstanced double bastard sword slash. :(

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Okay guys, mind reading this and telling me if you think the explanations make sense? http://forums.bandainamcogames.com/showthread.php?590-Soul-Level-vs-Soul-Memory

I tried to keep the post short so people don't lose interest, but I think the matchmaking is a major issue. Also post in the thread if you agree, I want FROM to notice it.

Artificer posted:

Has anyone here been able to powerstance effectively in PvP with anything larger than straight swords? I'm nearly always only using my right hand weapon at the moment and very rarely do I actually land a powerstanced double bastard sword slash. :(

I powerstance the demon hammers but mostly it's people that are dumb enough to block it and get instantly shield broken.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Artificer posted:

If you aren't powerstancing Demon's Great Hammers in PvP then I don't know what to say.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I just found soul geyser on my wizard should I take intelligence to 64 or spice it down to 50? If spicing is the answer wheres the quickest way to get 42 simpleton's spice? I haven't been able to try it yet but if its as good as I've read I'll get 3-4 copies of it before moving on.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I have yet to powerstance. I tried using two light weapons (knives/short swords) and couldn't get it to work despite the fact I'm pretty sure I meet the param and they were identical

any ideas?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So this thread is pretty insane to keep up with if you miss a day or two, but I'm just curious, does anyone else feel a little burnt out after getting to Drangleic? I've finally managed to get through the gauntlet of shitlords and take down the two Dragonriders, but I'm just not feeling as excited to continue on anymore. I'm feeling like my +10 Fire Mace is starting to get a little weak and and I'm worried I wasted too many titanite chunks/etc on stupid bullshit like shields and armor I never wear. I know I can respec but I'm not really sure my stats are an issue. Do I have a lot longer to go? I'm starting to get the itch to start a new character, but given my tendencies with DeSouls and Dark Souls 1, that'll probably mean never picking this character back up.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

He's right though? I haven't seen a 16:10 default monitor in years since 1080p became the industry standard. I'm sure they exist but 16:9 has been the de facto ratio for a while now.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Sure, letterboxing on 8:5 and controls so bad, even DS1s default controls are better and they've shown they're trying at least, but fail at the most basic poo poo.

:psyduck:

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Alan Smithee posted:

I have yet to powerstance. I tried using two light weapons (knives/short swords) and couldn't get it to work despite the fact I'm pretty sure I meet the param and they were identical

any ideas?

I think they have to have the same attack types. So if one is just slash/slash and the other is slash/thrust, it might not work? Not entirely sure.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I've been powerstancing melu scimitars but the trick is to occasionally unstance so you can parry

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

DrNutt posted:

So this thread is pretty insane to keep up with if you miss a day or two, but I'm just curious, does anyone else feel a little burnt out after getting to Drangleic? I've finally managed to get through the gauntlet of shitlords and take down the two Dragonriders, but I'm just not feeling as excited to continue on anymore. I'm feeling like my +10 Fire Mace is starting to get a little weak and and I'm worried I wasted too many titanite chunks/etc on stupid bullshit like shields and armor I never wear. I know I can respec but I'm not really sure my stats are an issue. Do I have a lot longer to go? I'm starting to get the itch to start a new character, but given my tendencies with DeSouls and Dark Souls 1, that'll probably mean never picking this character back up.

You're probably 75% of the way through after the next two zones the game really starts to wrap it up. And yeah lightning damage is pretty much king when it comes to elemental type, try getting a bolt stone from the blue sentinels covenant and stick that on the mace.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Man the shrine is difficult as gently caress but I'm loving it. It's very fair.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

God drat, I'm hating Freja NG+ more than I did Armana when I was pure melee :(

Walked in, take a Greatsword swing to AoE the adds, and get hit by her melee. At 20% HP when I stand up, get hit by baby spider for whats left. Shameful display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mouse controls use RMB for main attack, enter is A, tons of pointless lock buttons.

It's completely unusable and unintuitive without a controller.

DS1 was awkward, but it wasn't as bad as this.

Of course you can get around it by using a controler but that's not the point

Vanderdeath posted:

He's right though? I haven't seen a 16:10 default monitor in years since 1080p became the industry standard. I'm sure they exist but 16:9 has been the de facto ratio for a while now.

:psyduck:

They're being sold now as production monitors. 16:10 ips monitors are the cream of the crop, besides the fact the ratio is just better in general. It hurts even more when poo poo like Blizzard considers 16:10 monitors "cheating" that they have more space and designed starcraft's viewport around an inherently media related resolution.