Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

goatse guy posted:

I still have my dealership job and I love it too much to give it up, and I have more than enough hobbies to keep me occupied. I have a place to live and a family that loves me too. I just have a lot of days where I'd rather throw myself off of a bridge because someone I thought of as a friend drugged me and assaulted me. I don't think anything will ever fix that.

You're on the right path just by talking about it with other people and keeping occupied with other things. I never told a single person about my abuse for over a decade, and I think it's one of the reasons I'm such a miserable rear end in a top hat today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Is it weird that I feel guilty that I was never abused in any way? So many people I know were just wrecked by friends, family or people in a position of authority and I'm just over here dealing with being chubby.

It ain't weird dude, I have friends that have no clue and can't comprehend about the kind of poo poo I went through. I just tell them they are blessed and should feel lucky they were raised in a loving family. Some of us aren't so lucky but figure out how to get through it. Some don't.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

leica posted:

Also I feel sorry for anyone that has to change the fuel filter of a '96 Camry. Most pain in the rear end fuel filter in the history of cars, gently caress you Toyota.

I have no idea what Toyota's loving problem was, but every FWD car they made from '86 to probably late -'04(?) or so had the fuel filter in the same goddamn spot. It is awful as hell to do, I feel your pain.

Rhyno posted:

Is it weird that I feel guilty that I was never abused in any way? So many people I know were just wrecked by friends, family or people in a position of authority and I'm just over here dealing with being chubby.

Don't feel bad for not being abused, what the hell dude. You of all people should know that people are just poo poo, nothing you can do to change that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Terrible Robot posted:

Don't feel bad for not being abused, what the hell dude. You of all people should know that people are just poo poo, nothing you can do to change that.

I had some horrible poo poo happen to me as a kid, but it was bullying, not abuse. It's just in my circle of friends it seriously seems like I'm the only one who wasn't diddled by their uncle as a kid.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Tell me more.

I want to know what its like to not have been thrashed on for years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cursedshitbox posted:

Tell me more.

I want to know what its like to not have been thrashed on for years.

I had some terrible poo poo happen as a kid that I've talked about before but again, all bullying. My parents may not have always been attentive but if anyone had tried anything my parents would have killed them.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I was a fat middle eastern kid in an all white or black school. Lemme tell you about bullying.

My father broke 3 ribs when I was six. You learn to move on from poo poo at somepoint in life.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I don't feel guilty about not being abused but I do feel a bit guilty every now and then when I realize how much poo poo I take for granted. Just stuff that should be normal but apparently isn't like having two good supportive parents, never having been poor, never been abused. Never really been bullied to any real degree either.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cursedshitbox posted:

I was a fat middle eastern kid in an all white or black school. Lemme tell you about bullying.

My father broke 3 ribs when I was six. You learn to move on from poo poo at somepoint in life.

Hell I was one of a dozen white kids in my school when we lived in Gary, Indiana. But my classmates were awesome and treated me like an equal. When we moved and people found out I was from that school they treated me like poo poo.

Galler posted:

I don't feel guilty about not being abused but I do feel a bit guilty every now and then when I realize how much poo poo I take for granted. Just stuff that should be normal but apparently isn't like having two good supportive parents, never having been poor, never been abused. Never really been bullied to any real degree either.

This is a better way of describing it, I do take poo poo for granted way too often.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Ugh, some days I hate car people. Sold a car to a nice guy I know about 2 hours away who was an enthusiast. The only problem with it was it needed a paint job because it developed a common issue where the lovely 80s paint just started to peel off, and I was engrossed in other projects so I decided the car should go to a better home. Turns out about two months after the guy repainted the car, he modded the gently caress out of it without upgrading the ECU, popped the engine, rebuilt it, left all of the mods, and is now attempting to sell the car above market value because he is being deployed for two years and doesn't want to store the car.

I found out about this by happenstance when I noticed his ad on a local car owners website. I kinda feel like I let the car down by selling it to some dumb jerk.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Buy it back, the car needs you. ESPECIALLY if it's an FD.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
S5 TII. If it were an FD, I'd probably be heading to jail about now....

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's 4:30 in the morning and it's still 82f after all the windows in my apartment have been open since 11pm or so. Can't sleep worth a poo poo. gently caress global warming, gently caress inoperable AC and gently caress this piece of poo poo tenement apartment complex I live in.

e: my parents didn't beat me they just told me I was a worthless piece of poo poo for so long that I wound up believing them, so I've spent the better part of the last eight years some form of high or drunk because I can't stand to be alone with myself sober

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

My parents are amazing and spoil the poo poo out of me. I still get got drat Easter baskets at age 25 even though I've told them to stop doing that 7 years ago.

Man, Velocity is such a good TV channel for bordem. I woke up at 4:30 and couldn't fall back asleep, but it's cool cuz they are racing 18 wheeler cabs on Fifth Gear right now.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My parents are amazing and spoil the poo poo out of me. I still get got drat Easter baskets at age 25 even though I've told them to stop doing that 7 years ago.

Man, Velocity is such a good TV channel for bordem. I woke up at 4:30 and couldn't fall back asleep, but it's cool cuz they are racing 18 wheeler cabs on Fifth Gear right now.

Its 822pm here, my last night in my house, and all my friends bailed on going out, plus my wife went out with her friends. Awesome times. Also wasn't Easter like two weeks ago?

Oh well. Drinking alone in my empty rear end house while cleaning and occasionally taking breaks to look at bikes it is.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

iwentdoodie posted:

Its 822pm here, my last night in my house, and all my friends bailed on going out, plus my wife went out with her friends. Awesome times. Also wasn't Easter like two weeks ago?

Oh well. Drinking alone in my empty rear end house while cleaning and occasionally taking breaks to look at bikes it is.

It's 6:22AM here (okay, 6:37, but still...), hopefully you're moving to some place that has the correct time.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

meatpimp posted:

It's 6:22AM here (okay, 6:37, but still...), hopefully you're moving to some place that has the correct time.

Like I said before, we leave here Friday at 630 am, and get to LA at 530 am also on Friday.

Isn't the earth fun?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Thank god for early morning velocity. Fell asleep at 2330... up at 0245.... and been up since.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Oh hey, the rest of AI had awful insomnia last night, too? Cool.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I used to fight it and try to make myself go to sleep... now? I get up and try to find some kind of calming activity... read a book, other things.... If I fall back asleep, great! If not? I at least accomplished something.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Oddly, I actually slept really well last night. That doesn't usually happen when i'm working a morning shift the next day.

Also, rewatching the Inside Koenigsegg series on /Drive, I forgot how fascinating some of their processes are.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Sooo... M60B30 in E30, bad idea or best idea?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Just watch out for the Nikasil issue.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Why would you go with a M60B30 over a M60B40 unless you're getting the drivetrain for free or something

e: I mean the block is physically the same size and weight and poo poo, they get about the same gas mileage as the 4 liter, the only thing you're getting is about 70 less HP, in which case just swap over a M52, with cams and exhaust and a chip they'll make the same power

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Good idea, but I think I'd rather keep the inline 6. Simpler, same amount of power.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

rscott posted:

Why would you go with a M60B30 over a M60B40 unless you're getting the drivetrain for free or something

e: I mean the block is physically the same size and weight and poo poo, they get about the same gas mileage as the 4 liter, the only thing you're getting is about 70 less HP, in which case just swap over a M52, with cams and exhaust and a chip they'll make the same power

Has to do with Swedish rules on modified vehicles. A B40 would give a higher power:weight ratio, and also a larger increase in power over stock. If I built with a B30 in a 325, I could probably get away with just changing engine and gearbox and then do an extended re-register inspection to make it street legal, as opposed to using a B40 where I'd probably be required to change out brakes and suspension as well as bolting in ballast weights to get the power:weight ratio within acceptable limits.

Lightbulb Out posted:

Good idea, but I think I'd rather keep the inline 6. Simpler, same amount of power.

Yeah well, the idea started out more like "V8 in E30 LOL" with a friend of mine, so... :v:

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

AI's sleep schedule is synced and if we were women I'm 102% sure our cycles would be too.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My sleep schedule isn't even synched with itself (asleep at 10pm some nights, 3am others, no real pattern) and for the last few months half the time I wake up curled up in a ball in my office chair at 5AM anyways.

At that point I'm never certain whether to leave for work early or move to my bed and risk sleeping past my alarm and being late.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I want to buy a house so I can hoard more subarus and subaru parts but I don't actually want to deal with the headaches of home ownership :(

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Solution: NEAI Compound. I'll grow the... crops.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
gently caress you all, I am going to buy a million acres in central NH, build myself a garage/house/shop/fortress into the side of a hill, and fade from the public eye.

You may all go to hell and I will go to NH, etc etc.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Slow is Fast posted:

I want to buy a house so I can hoard more subarus and subaru parts but I don't actually want to deal with the headaches of home ownership :(

Unless you buy a basket case like kastein, home ownership is a piece of cake, like raising kids. Just ask Sockington

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I have a fatal attraction to basket cases. I have known this for some time.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Solution: NEAI Compound. I'll grow the... crops.

I'm down, as long as we've got sort of track, especially if it's just dirt.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

If you don't mind moving to the UK and have a spare £1.75m there is currently a mountain for sale.
Included is the title "Lord of the Manor of Threlkeld"

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

I have a fatal attraction to basket cases. I have known this for some time.

Does it extend to dating for you as well? That's my problem. I'm always interested in the projects, whether it be neglected cars or people with broken psyches. Mentally healthy people and new cars? Boring.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
House chat:

Bucephalus posted:

Unless you buy a basket case like kastein, home ownership is a piece of cake, like raising kids. Just ask Sockington

Inheriting one that is a basket case can be pretty sad too. Just look at these pictures of the wiring we pulled out of the bathroom when we gutted it (the are phone pics, sorry about the quality--click for HUGE):

Yes the GFCI outlet shorted itself in the box:

This is as far out as we could pull the switch there is supposed to be a bit more wire in box):

Look at how it is secured, right next to the water pipes for the upstairs half bath:

Speaking of the bathroom upstairs, I need to take a pic of how they got the outlet in the bathroom to fit. They just cut the back half of the box off.

And Bonus of the electrical wiring running to the entire upstairs through the hall closet:

And another bonus of of the front room where the wiring was smoldering in the walls for a while, my dad left it this way for about 10 years:

I really need to post these in the crappy construction thread in DIY....

Edit: Yes they cut the boxes, have live unsecured wiring everywhere, and use a lot of electrical tape.

Yes that switch box that was cut, was secured to the cast iron drainage pipe by a piece of copper wire. My brother wrote that on the wall when he was removing that horseshit & running the new wire.

alternate.eago fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 6, 2014

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I'm a huge nerd but I'm also a fairly typical guy, I like sports, cars, heavy machinery, guns, action flicks and beer. For some reason the only girls I find myself attracted to are super artsy, intellectual, whose ideal vacation is to sip fuckin espresso at an art gallery in Prague, while I just want to watch playoff basketball, hit the gym, and get drunk.

And I wonder why I'm 31 and single.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

alternate.eago posted:

Inheriting one that is a basket case can be pretty sad too.

I'm dealing with all the builder-grade poo poo all falling apart at once on my 20yo modular; not too sure I wouldn't prefer the alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I have huge self esteem issues so I only date narcissistic women who make me earn their love. Eventually I quit putting in the work and dump them when they complain about it and it all cycles back to being single. Now when I think about dating it only takes me about 2 minutes of fantasizing to get to the point where I'm sick of their poo poo.

I'm better off single, learned how not to be lonely and don't even miss dating. I think my daughter keeps me from being lonely actually, when she gets to high school age and wants nothing to do with me I'll probably feel different.

• Locked thread