Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fmap
Feb 6, 2014

Free Soap Foundation neutrality vigilante in the process of descending from the ape

shortspecialbus posted:

Anyone KSPing in Linux? I thought I'd give it a shot, and my frame rate is rather poor. I'm using the nvidia binary drivers, and I have SLI enabled, and there's noticeable frames at all times. I'm locked 60fps (except huge rockets, obviously) in Windows with SLI 670s. Same hardware in Linux seems to be giving me ~20-40fps at most time. Is this expected behavior?

I'm a professional linux sysadmin, but 95% of what I do at this point is on servers and I haven't tried a desktop linux in like 6 years so I'm a bit out of the loop on linux gaming.

I did for a while, with AMD binaries and AA + VSync forced from the outside, and it all worked fine in terms of FPS, but then all mods I tried to install except Engi caused the game to crash during various stages of loading, so I switched back to Windoze. On Linux the game itself is 64bit, and I think there is some issue with the way mods' DLLs are compiled for mono, idk. I would like to know if this problem only affects AMD, so if you try to play, pls tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Rottbott posted:

It was kind of fun, but I don't think I'll ever be going back to Eve.

That ladder rover is the craziest thing. Practical, but crazy.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Rottbott posted:

And sent a whole fleet of them simultaneously:

At midnight on the twelfth of August, a huge mass of luminous gas erupted from Kerbin and sped towards Eve. Across two hundred million miles of void, invisibly hurtling towards us, came the first of the missiles that were to bring so much calamity to Eve. As I watched, there was another jet of gas. It was another missile, starting on its way.

And that's how it was for the next ten nights. A flare, spurting out from Kerbin - bright green, drawing a green mist behind it - a beautiful, but somehow disturbing sight. Ogilvy Kerman, the astronomer, assured me we were in no danger. He was convinced there could be no living thing on that remote, forbidding planet.

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC

DStecks posted:

I like the plan to land a 1500-ton-capable lifter on Eve itself, even if that plan never came to fruition. I'm amazed that he didn't try it anyway, after what must have been loving hours refuelling the stupid thing.
It was 1500 tons for the launcher itself - it couldn't lift more than ~200 tons of payload and was pretty bad really. It was my first attempt at something that size. The version which I actually landed on Eve was still over 1500 tons when fully fuelled, but down to about 250 parts and with a lot more delta-v.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

OldMold posted:

eth0.n, I'm pretty much playing a "make space stations" simulator at this point, thanks for the mod! I wish there was more stuff to do or engineer for, though. The weight on the components is too easy to hoist up in 23.5. I added massive power requirements, which helps require building out stations with the characteristic solar panel sails.

Could you do something with the Kerbal "stupidity" trait like the Interstellar lab does? Requiring low stupidity scientists makes staffing a bit harder.

Glad you're enjoying it!

If you want more to manage, you could install TAC life support. I can't really think of other engineering tasks related to stations that translate reasonably to KSP. Maybe orbital decay? But even then, it's pretty trivial to put the station so high that orbital decay wouldn't be an issue.

As for mass, I intend to do a rebalancing once economics is in the game. That's the point where mass actually becomes a real balancing factor. Until then, I'm not sure there's much I can do.

I thought the Cyclotron was already quite massive in terms of power requirements, and served the purpose of encouraging large solar arrays. The problem with adding significant power requirements to the other parts is solar panels don't work while the ship is unfocused, so there's not a good way to make unfocused-compatible experiments dependent on ElectricCharge.

As for Stupidity, I've considered this before, but in the present game, my feeling is that it would be more an annoying "gotcha" than a real challenge. It's just a matter of clicking the right crew members before launching. If recruiting and training Kerbals becomes a part of career mode, I could see a better case for adding mechanics that key off Stupidity.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I would hope they come up with something that high-Stupidity crew members are better than low for, otherwise they're just landmines in the recruitment screen.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

I would hope they come up with something that high-Stupidity crew members are better than low for, otherwise they're just landmines in the recruitment screen.

Spaceplane pilots.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Looks like there's a new place for Kerbal mods to be uploaded to..

Maxmaps is this the "pillow" you're placing over the face of spaceport?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Spaceport was bad, but Curse is far worse. So hopefully not.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
It is! But how is it worse? Putting aside tangential association with the madness of the minecraft modding community.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Spaceport was bad and that site looks bad also. I just grab my poo poo from mods forum threads where they tend to have mediafire, google drive or dropbox download links.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maxmaps posted:

It is! But how is it worse? Putting aside tangential association with the madness of the minecraft modding community.

I haven't used Curse in years so I don't know what it's like right this minute, but a ways back they hassled you constantly to install their stupid client and required a billion clicks to get a normal zip file of a mod. There was a period where you couldn't download anything without being logged into an account as well.

I don't need a downloader app to download stuff, that's what my loving web browser is for.

Glancing at the site today I guess it doesn't look as bad as it used to be but I still have a lot of ill-will against them. Their search feature seems a bit wimpy, that's really all I got.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Honestly I have nearly zero experience with Curse- most of the Minecraft mods I downloaded were through links in forum posts. A lot of you seem pretty adamant that it's bad, though, so I guess we'll see how it goes.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Maxmaps posted:

All I've heard about is the occasional youtuber whining about getting ripped off by their gaming network. I don't necessarily take these complaints at face value.

I do think it's telling that the next installment of my mods series has only 2 of the 5 mods on Spaceport.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

xzzy posted:

Glancing at the site today I guess it doesn't look as bad as it used to be but I still have a lot of ill-will against them. Their search feature seems a bit wimpy, that's really all I got.

The experience has got way better for me since the old days of Burning Crusade raiding, and they offer a monetization option to our modmakers that I can agree with.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Megadyptes posted:

Spaceport was bad and that site looks bad also. I just grab my poo poo from mods forum threads where they tend to have mediafire, google drive or dropbox download links.

I also do this, but I'm not sure how much of that is due to Spaceport's flaws and how much due to this thread being my sole source for KSP news and mod recommendations.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
My patch sense is tingling. It can't be too much longer can it? Can it? I really think that the contracts will give the game some much needed structure, though, on a more serious note. Last few weeks Harvester's ducked out of the devnotes, hoping it's cause he's super busy making contracts awesome.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

I don't need a downloader app to download stuff, that's what my loving web browser is for.

I'll be the other side of this argument: I love mod managers and how they simplify downloading and installing mods.

Like Spaceport, it can be replaced if it's ruinous to the community for whatever reason.

bad-yeti
Jul 29, 2004

Space Yeti.

Spaceman Future! posted:

Science drop modules

landers on top, science on bottom

This is one of the things that I really can't get to grips with on this game, maybe i'm missing something really simple.

Did you take off with those modules onboard? If so how on earth do you decouple them and control them? Whenever I try anything similar the module, escape craft whatever, just floats off and I can't do a thing with it.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

FormatAmerica posted:

I'll be the other side of this argument: I love mod managers and how they simplify downloading and installing mods.

Like Spaceport, it can be replaced if it's ruinous to the community for whatever reason.

I'd like a mod manager where I can activate and deactivate mods at will without having to install or uninstall them. If I want to test a spaceplane both with and without FAR, it should be as easy as restarting the game with a checkbox unticked. It could also help with dependencies and such as well.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

there's a couple of mod managers in the tools and applications section of the ksp mod forums that lets you do that sort of poo poo.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

bad-yeti posted:

This is one of the things that I really can't get to grips with on this game, maybe i'm missing something really simple.

Did you take off with those modules onboard? If so how on earth do you decouple them and control them? Whenever I try anything similar the module, escape craft whatever, just floats off and I can't do a thing with it.

After you decouple them, they're effectively new, independent, craft. Go to map view, and "switch to" the new craft or you can go through the tracking station.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can also press the [ and ] keys to cycle control among nearby spacecraft.

Dumb question: Do your modules each have their own probe core/crew pod, engines, and fuel supply?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SopWATh posted:

After you decouple them, they're effectively new, independent, craft. Go to map view, and "switch to" the new craft or you can go through the tracking station.

Or just cycle through craft with the bracket keys if they’re close enough.

e: f;b

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Luneshot posted:

I'd like a mod manager where I can activate and deactivate mods at will without having to install or uninstall them. If I want to test a spaceplane both with and without FAR, it should be as easy as restarting the game with a checkbox unticked. It could also help with dependencies and such as well.

One of the few things that Rome 2: TW was enabling/disabling mods. You subscribe to them in the steam workshop, they show up on your hard drive, and the game launcher gives you a list of checkboxes that lets you turn mods off and on. I agree it's pretty convenient and it'd be a good model for other games to follow.

(especially when your game crashes with zero error messages whenever a mod does something wrong, go to hell Creative Assembly. :argh:)

bad-yeti
Jul 29, 2004

Space Yeti.

haveblue posted:

Dumb question: Do your modules each have their own command modules, engines, and fuel supply?

Yes yes they do, i've built stations with "escape pods" for when I screw up (every time) I decouple then use the [ ] as you said but nothing the pod just floats away.

It's really annoying when I make a rover or simlar and it just sits on Mun (as far as i've got)

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

haveblue posted:

Dumb question: Do your modules each have their own probe core/crew pod, engines, and fuel supply?

Platystemon posted:

Or just cycle through craft with the bracket keys if they’re close enough.

e: f;b

Mind blown! Thank you!

EDIT: If they're still floating away... Do they have power? Do they have crew?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

illectro posted:

All I've heard about is the occasional youtuber whining about getting ripped off by their gaming network. I don't necessarily take these complaints at face value.

I do think it's telling that the next installment of my mods series has only 2 of the 5 mods on Spaceport.

Curse is fine. I use it all the time for WoW and Rift mods.

Actually the installer its self owns because it does a check every time you run it to see if there's updates. It's nice when you're an idiot like me and need dozens of mods to enjoy a game.

Blast of Confetti fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 6, 2014

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Blast of Confetti posted:

Curse is fine. I use it all the time for WoW and Rift mods.

Actually the installer its self owns because it does a check every time you run it to see if there's updates. It's nice when you're an idiot like me and need dozens of mods to enjoy a game.

Not so good for me where I need to maintain multiple installations with different version and need to hand edit things to make them work the way I want.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I won't let anything written by curse anywhere near my computer after the malware-serving incident they had a few years ago. I don't trust them to code their way out of a paper bag, so no curse client means it's just another place to manually download things.

Steam workshop would have been ideal. :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Could be worse, could be nexus.

Though that said my main issue with nexus is the content, the delivery system isn't actually too terrible.

moddb/desura might have been interesting.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Im sad its not Steam Workshop really as of all the mod delivery systems I have used over the years Workshop has been the best for other games.

Granted, I have not used Curse in a while so I will hold off final judgement until it is up and running properly but I dont have high hopes for anything made by Curse.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Luceo posted:

I won't let anything written by curse anywhere near my computer after the malware-serving incident they had a few years ago. I don't trust them to code their way out of a paper bag, so no curse client means it's just another place to manually download things.

Steam workshop would have been ideal. :(

Their new client is pretty clean and baller though. You can look at it if you have CurseVoice access. Current client is okay. And come on, if you're gonna drat people for bad, unsafe coding they did years ago I'm surprised you like us!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maxmaps posted:

Their new client is pretty clean and baller though. You can look at it if you have CurseVoice access. Current client is okay. And come on, if you're gonna drat people for bad, unsafe coding they did years ago I'm surprised you like us!

Weren't they actively shipping malware with the installer or something? I didn't think Squad had a habit of doing that.

I'll use the site, but I'm not installing any software from Curse themselves.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Maxmaps posted:

You provide the game that I've always wanted ever since I first used a computer. Curse provides a front end to serve ads that has infected peoples' computer with malware. Bit of a difference there.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

As long as I can download mods without paying, logging in, clicking through a bunch of fake lovely "download now!" links or installing some horrid download client it's fine by me. My only real complaints with spaceport were that the craft files were too jumbled in with the actual mods, and there was no clear way to tell if a mod would work with the latest version of KSP without checking the forums.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

just download the mods from the direct links most modders provide in their mod threads, it ain't that hard.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

OwlFancier posted:

Weren't they actively shipping malware with the installer or something? I didn't think Squad had a habit of doing that.

I'll use the site, but I'm not installing any software from Curse themselves.

They had an ad on their client that got infected years ago, and they removed it but the PR issue from it never went away for some people. I understand your viewpoint, though.

Clark Nova posted:

As long as I can download mods without paying, logging in, clicking through a bunch of fake lovely "download now!" links or installing some horrid download client it's fine by me. My only real complaints with spaceport were that the craft files were too jumbled in with the actual mods, and there was no clear way to tell if a mod would work with the latest version of KSP without checking the forums.

You go to Curse, find the KSP addon you want, click download, get zip file, install. If you dig the client, you use it too. That's basically it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's a bit better then, nexus requires an account to use their file system, as does moddb for that matter though I've had an account there since forever.

Seems like a reasonable solution for as many folks as possible I guess. There aren't many sites that don't require accounts to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Well it's not Steam Workshop so it's already worse than most games that support mods on Steam.

Some third party site I've never heard of with a client and 'premium' subscription options?

• Locked thread