Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
This video sort of shows the monastery scimitar being silly (apologies if repost):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5-zNa8TTFw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Raygereio posted:

Good lord, the Belfry is insane. It's been just two hours since I joined up and I've already got almost 50 chucks.:stare:
I feel a little bad those poor guys who were just trying to get to the boss, but you know... there are chucks to be had.

Also: In the Ruin Sentinels boss arena there's one hidden door that has just an empty little alcove. Am I missing something, or is there really just nothing there?

There are illusory walls all over that arena.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

SurrealityCheck posted:

This video sort of shows the monastery scimitar being silly (apologies if repost):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5-zNa8TTFw

Well I know what i'm getting

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I found 5 there. But one seems to be just an empty little room while the other 4 have some sort of treasure.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

bef posted:

Well I know what i'm getting

Zero startup frames on a parry... hurrah!

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

God drat, I almost feel terrible for the poor covetus demon. He was pretty much a chump even when you whacked him with a sword. But magic completely annihilates the poor bastard.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Wallet posted:

I replaced my Mace with the Barbed Club during my first play through, but I didn't realize until yesterday how weird infusion is with it. For some reason, un-infused with 40 STR/DEX/FTH it was 250+101 damage, but if you add magic/fire/lightning/dark its base physical damage goes up to 306+67, the bleed gets stronger, and of course the elemental damage is added on top. Its total damage ends up higher than a lot of much heavier weapons. I don't know if it's a bug or intentional, but it makes me wonder if there are other weapons that secretly have weird scaling like that as well?

This is very cool, a dark infused barbed club with resonant weapon hits like a truck.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I'm starting to be really disappointed by the DEX/swordsman style of play in the late game. In DS1 if you knew how to parry and you had a +15 Rapier you could absolutely annihilate any parryable opponent. In DS2 though the scaling sucks and for a lot of late game enemies I'm having to riposte like 3 or even 4 times :(

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

RBA Starblade posted:

One of the rooms was mostly empty, but as I remember it there was at least a ladder in it leading to another room/hallway section.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Raygereio posted:

Good lord, the Belfry is insane. It's been just two hours since I joined up and I've already got almost 50 chucks.:stare:
I feel a little bad those poor guys who were just trying to get to the boss, but you know... there are chucks to be had.
Yeah, it is so easy to win in there I eventually started trying to get hosts to successfully get through the drat place and still ended up with more dead hosts than not.

No joke, most difficult thing I've done in Dark Souls 2 is trying to get hosts to successfully reach the boss door. In hindsight, bringing warmth may have trivialized the whole thing, but oh well... I did still want the chunks...

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS
One of the things I've been missing since Dark Souls 1 is the wonky corpse physics, then this happened and I felt right at home...
http://www.twitch.tv/evilskillit/c/4152603

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Red Crown posted:

I'm starting to be really disappointed by the DEX/swordsman style of play in the late game. In DS1 if you knew how to parry and you had a +15 Rapier you could absolutely annihilate any parryable opponent. In DS2 though the scaling sucks and for a lot of late game enemies I'm having to riposte like 3 or even 4 times :(

It's also that it feels like in this game the resistances to slash vs strike vs thrust matter a lot more than they did in Dark Souls 1, and unfortunately there are a lot of enemies that are resistant to slash damage.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Red Crown posted:

Use an upgraded dagger.

Rapiers do not seem to have the same massive critical damage bonus they did in Demon/Dark Souls. Instead, the dagger has it now.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

The noblest thing you can do in this game, even more than assisting people as a Blue Sentinel, is putting your summon sign in a Belfry tower.

I've been doing this today and it is great being able to shoot your previous co-workers with great resonate soul while masquerading as a trio of black powder kegs. I've also noticed most people don't equip the silvercat ring. And there's plenty of shortcuts to lower levels that cause dudes fall damage, especially the people in heavier plate suits. :gibs:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

evilskillit posted:

One of the things I've been missing since Dark Souls 1 is the wonky corpse physics, then this happened and I felt right at home...
http://www.twitch.tv/evilskillit/c/4152603

Yeah the corpse physics are really strange. As far as I can tell they're about the same as they used to be except that the player can no longer interact with them and they go inactive once the player leaves the area. If you're in a big zone and walk away from corpses you can see their ragdoll effect turning on and off when you hit a certain distance.

I'm guessing that this is what's causing all of the floating horizontal corpses embedded in walls everywhere when you return to a zone. New fixes, different bugs~

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
Is there any way to easily get defense summoned as a blue sentinel? Been absolutely loving the full caster setup for PVP dressed as a literal witch wielding the black witch staff and using all the magics, but I'd really like to actually defend people more often. Did a fair amount of enjoyable blue sent sparring and arbiter invading, but so rarely actually get summoned when I put the ring on.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ulvirich posted:

I've been doing this today and it is great being able to shoot your previous co-workers with great resonate soul while masquerading as a trio of black powder kegs. I've also noticed most people don't equip the silvercat ring. And there's plenty of shortcuts to lower levels that cause dudes fall damage, especially the people in heavier plate suits. :gibs:

People think they're clever by just running drop circles up the first set of stairs and down, and it just ends in horrible violence. :unsmigghh:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dawnfire posted:

Is there any way to easily get defense summoned as a blue sentinel? Been absolutely loving the full caster setup for PVP dressed as a literal witch wielding the black witch staff and using all the magics, but I'd really like to actually defend people more often. Did a fair amount of enjoyable blue sent sparring and arbiter invading, but so rarely actually get summoned when I put the ring on.

Blue Sentinels seem to massively outnumber Way of the Blue members. I did 62 invasions yesterday (I know because that is how many cracked red eye's I had when I started) and only two summoned a Sentinel at all. It's likely that they were the only two people in Way of the Blue.

Also, they both failed to protect their target.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee
Why do mummy dust fart flops kill my rear end so bad. At least they blow up nicely

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The pvp in this game is sooooooo good when lag doesn't take a poo poo on it, or people aren't being complete assholes.

Sadly that is only about every 1/100 duels/invasions. The lag makes it a loving joke. Getting sucked into backstabs from 20 feet away-from the front-, getting hit by swings and bolts that clearly missed, gently caress.

And then you get a good match. No latency, if you dodge a swing by just a frame you dodged it. It's tense. This is a real pvp fight. You land a legitimate backstab and-HOST DISCONNECTED, RETURNING TO YOUR WORLD gently caress the pvp scene in this game.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god, trying to help people in Earthen Peak is a fool's errand. Two people didn't get to light the windmill on fire, despite me holding a torch, pointing at it, then hitting it with a torch. Both got poisoned by the pharros contraption despite my no way gesture, and one almost got eaten by the mimic, I managed to hit it with a spell just as he was opening it. Then, when I led one to the secret bonfire and pointed at the illusory wall, he just hit it for a while before giving up. Being a sunbro is hard.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Just beat this game last night as a pure caster. It's really amazing to me how easy that last portion of the game was compared to the lead up to Vendrick. Getting through the Castle, Shrine, and Crypt was difficult but rewarding. Everything after that felt like a breeze and I couldn't believe I was actually done when the credits rolled.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dawnfire posted:

Are you in NG+? Bluecops get more action in NG+.

Otherwise we just gotta start a campaign for people to stay in the way of the blue :cheeky:

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Oh my god, trying to help people in Earthen Peak is a fool's errand. Two people didn't get to light the windmill on fire, despite me holding a torch, pointing at it, then hitting it with a torch. Both got poisoned by the pharros contraption despite my no way gesture, and one almost got eaten by the mimic, I managed to hit it with a spell just as he was opening it. Then, when I led one to the secret bonfire and pointed at the illusory wall, he just hit it for a while before giving up. Being a sunbro is hard.

Pretty much exactly what I did yesterday on my subro character. :smith: Comeon people I'm trying to help you!

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Blue Sentinels seem to massively outnumber Way of the Blue members. I did 62 invasions yesterday (I know because that is how many cracked red eye's I had when I started) and only two summoned a Sentinel at all. It's likely that they were the only two people in Way of the Blue.

Its mostly that people just leave way of blue. If you do some "low level" invasions you'll maybe get 20% of your invasions or more summon a cop. I was doing some pirate invading in No-man's wharf around 80K SM and aside from getting wrecked because the work hook is that bad, saw a little under 10 cops out of 20 cracked eyes. Interestingly, I saw the same one maybe three times.

EDIT: should also note, that there are just compounding effects on all of the measures FROM took to try and mitigate low level twinks. Way of blue alone might have been pretty handy, but it doesn't agree with SM and no whole eye orb. I try to stay in way of blue on a bunch of my characters just to cops a bit more mileage, but I still haven't been invaded once on PC, and only twice on PS3, so oddly enough, Way of Blue is probably just going to be an NG+ thing, rather than a newbie covenant.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 6, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The blue covenant shouldn't even exist. Everyone without sin should just be protected by blue sentinels automatically. Maybe then I'd get summoned by the ring once in my life.

Way of Blue is a cute idea but it falls apart when 1. No one invades that early 2. Everyone leaves the way of blue when invasions matter.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 6, 2014

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

So this happened to me a while back in the Earth Tower while I was trying to get humanity back as a shade. At least I managed to get him to light up the windmill earlier.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah, definitely seems that way. Least arbitrator invasions are incredibly fun so far. Had very amount of them in early NG+ over the last few days and just been cleaning up in most cases. Thankfully not many people know how to deal with affinity yet, and it's a devastating spell. Sending a host and his spirit running in a panic because their friend got insta-gibbed by a volley will never not be the most enjoyable thing about blue invading as a caster.

Zaphod42 posted:

Are you in NG+? Bluecops get more action in NG+.

Otherwise we just gotta start a campaign for people to stay in the way of the blue :cheeky:

Yeah, been in NG+ for a little bit, but my SM may be a bit out of whack for it? Sitting at 5.1mil and only got 2 or 3 while running a fair share of cracked blue eye orbs. :shrug:

Bobnumerotres posted:

The blue covenant shouldn't even exist. Everyone without sin should just be protected by blue sentinels automatically. Maybe then I'd get summoned by the ring once in my life.

Way of Blue is a cute idea but it falls apart when 1. No one invades that early 2. Everyone leaves the way of blue when invasions matter.

Yeah, really wish it'd kind of work off being able to defend everyone, but than it'd be really awful for red invaders on average if this was the case. While I'd love getting more defense calls, pissing in every red invader's cheerios seems like it'd kill that aspect of the game.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I find it amusing how many people spend so much time trying to convey to a host to turn allllll the way around to torch the windmill, when all I did was walk into the poison and stunlock murder the boss with double maces or a large club when assisting, gently caress poison, it doesn't kill you faster then you can kill it.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 6, 2014

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
which bonfire do i ascetic to get lucatiel's summon sign back in the black gulch? I talked to her all the way til she disappeared from the cave, but didn't manage to summon her before fighting him

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I didn't realize they changed the illusory wall mechanic until i saw my friend play this weekend. I just assumed all the messages about illusory walls were trolls.

Changing the way you open them was dumb. Literally no reason to do that.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 6, 2014

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
I thought it was like, Rapiers have Riposte bonus whereas daggers have backstab? Someone did damage testing on Reddit for it, but that was back near release. It might have been patched/modified, but that's what I heard.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I didn't realize they changed the illusory wall mechanic until i saw my friend play this weekend. I just assumed all the messages about illusory walls were trolls.

Changing the way you open them was dumb. Literally no reason to do that.

Other than to get you good. How's it feel to be owned :smug:

(90% of illusory wall messages are still trolls so don't feel too bad)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

majestic12 posted:

Why do mummy dust fart flops kill my rear end so bad. At least they blow up nicely

Because for the most part they run faster than you and it has a serious knockdown. So if you get multiple mummies on you, you're going to have a hell of a time as one knocks you down for a lot of damage and then the other goes off while you're still trying to get up.

The worst was in a hidden part of Lost Bastille when I knocked a stone into a well (that was in a small enclosed area) and a loving cage with three of those things came up. :negative:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

The trick is to leave your sign on that landing near Jester Thomas' sign. It'll be hidden by poison for people who haven't burned the windmill!

Of course, I did that yesterday and the guy still managed to die to the boss as I was coming through the fog gate. It was a caster not using a shield, you'd think he'd Be Gud at dodging by then....

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Kimmalah posted:

The worst was in a hidden part of Lost Bastille when I knocked a stone into a well (that was in a small enclosed area) and a loving cage with three of those things came up. :negative:

I loving hate those guys. You have to be really careful about managing aggro when there are multiples of them around.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I joined a game as a sunbro, and this white phantom was loving merking me and the host. Is that a hack or is it possible to get the white ring's effects as a dark spirit? We could target and fight back but he was way too aggressive and killed us quickly with dark fog and other hexes.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
After fighting the Dragonrider its really obvious that I was supposed to go this way instead of fighting the Pursuer and going that way :v:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

is it possible to get the white ring's effects as a dark spirit?

Yes, a dark spirit with the White Ring will appear identical to a white phantom. The invasion message will still identify him/her as a dark spirit however, so you should know that something is up unless you get summoned after the invasion has already started.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Well now, that makes invasion trolling a bit more interesting. There are a lot of stupid players in this game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

There are a lot of stupid players in this game.

The greatest asset of a Dark Spirit is the stupidity/incompetence of the average player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

laplace posted:

I thought it was like, Rapiers have Riposte bonus whereas daggers have backstab? Someone did damage testing on Reddit for it, but that was back near release. It might have been patched/modified, but that's what I heard.

Default dagger has 150 riposte damage damage (also the manikin blade)

Highest for stabby swords is 140 I think.