Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How dumb was pushing back the draft?
This poll is closed.
Really dumb 58 11.09%
95 18.16%
121 23.14%
Too much mustard 249 47.61%
Total: 523 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Miko posted:

Yay. Hopefully he and Ingram can actually do stuff next year.

Corey Liuget will always have a special place in my heart because a radio show interviewed me about him at the draft and said that I sounded like a scout :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Blarfk posted:

This is pretty cool, do you have a link to the article where that came from?

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/ask-vic/article-1/Be-patient-your-safety-will-fall-to-you/6bb0c10d-d209-4139-a658-1803a7d94358

Vic writes Q&A for Packers.com Monday through Friday. He's pretty entertaining.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Since the draft is in two days, I've been reading through PFF's re-grading of the 2009-2011 drafts. It's filled with the typical PFF head-shakers, but it's at least an okay read for what teams are pulling lots of starters / contributors from the draft.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/03/draft-grader-seattle-seahawks-3/ (You can get to every team from the bottom table).

The only players to get a -2.0 grade are Pat White, Aaron Maybin, Larry English and Sergio Kindle.

+2.0 (which, this being PFF, requires them to not be 1st round picks, which is downright silly when say, JJ Watt exists): Kam Chancellor, Richard Sherman, Navarro Bowman, Rob Gronkowski, Geno Atkins, Jimmy Graham and LeSean McCoy.

The grade categories are more then a bit wonky, so if you do read any of these, I'd probably just go ahead and mentally lump anything with a +1.0 or greater into hits and ignore the rest unless you want to get mad about Aaron Curry or something.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 6, 2014

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It's a little harsh to give Sergio Kindle the lowest rating possible when he suffered a severe head injury before ever playing a snap. Would he be a -2 if the fall had killed him?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Chad Jones was given a 0.0 pass after his car accident so it's probably harsh. Then again it's a number on an internet column so who really cares.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Pat White gets a -2.0 but Jimmy Clausen gets a -1.5

aight

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Alouicious posted:

aight

Clausen directly contributed to the team getting Newton. That's worth at least a .5 bump.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Those PFF grades are pretty accurate for the Giants, I'd say. Reese isn't the megaman at drafting that everyone thinks he is.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Same for Newsome. He's terrific with free agency but has mostly been coasting on reputation on the draft for the past 5 years.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
That Chargers rundown is so goddamn depressing

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

That Chargers rundown is so goddamn depressing

Life as a San Diego sports fan. :v:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Coldforge posted:

Clausen directly contributed to the team getting Newton. That's worth at least a .5 bump.

Cam himself is only rated .5

which is "eh hey at least he's trying right????" according to the ratings

PFF is dumb as hell

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Speaking of depressing drafts, here's a story from SI on how the 80's Bucs make the current Browns look like a competent organization.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Alouicious posted:

Cam himself is only rated .5

which is "eh hey at least he's trying right????" according to the ratings

PFF is dumb as hell

Our sixth round TE who played pretty well until tearing his ACL and getting released was only given a 0.0 rating. Just because Sherman and Chancellor were taken in late rounds doesn't mean every guy should be held to that standard, a role-playing TE who got several hundred yards is easily worth more than a 0 as a sixth rounder.

Pretty crazy story, especially considering that Booker Reese's measurables still look loving amazing 30 years later.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 6, 2014

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

The Chiefs are sorta shopping Brandon Flowers. Who could be in play for him?

quote:

Dan Pompei of Bleacher Report reported Tuesday that the team is "willing to deal" cornerback Brandon Flowers in exchange for picks.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000346983/article/chiefs-reportedly-willing-to-deal-brandon-flowers

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Chichevache posted:

Our sixth round TE who played pretty well until tearing his ACL and getting released was only given a 0.0 rating. Just because Sherman and Chancellor were taken in late rounds doesn't mean every guy should be held to that standard, a role-playing TE who got several hundred yards is easily worth more than a 0 as sixth rounder.

What an odd thing to argue

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

Our sixth round TE who played pretty well until tearing his ACL and getting released was only given a 0.0 rating. Just because Sherman and Chancellor were taken in late rounds doesn't mean every guy should be held to that standard, a role-playing TE who got several hundred yards is easily worth more than a 0 as a sixth rounder.

Pretty crazy story, especially considering that Booker Reese's measurables still look loving amazing 30 years later.

I'll agree with this. A Sixth rounder who gets playing time during his rookie season might as well be a loving +1.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

What an odd thing to argue

Well when you're claiming that you're going to factor in draft position and you start giving out negative grades for third day picks then I'm of course going to wonder what you expect out of a 7th rounder. To me the only way a guy in the 6th or 7th is a negative grade is if he somehow manages to injure one of our 1st- 5th round guys. If he somehow sees the field more than once a season then boy howdy he sure deserves a positive grade because he somehow made a team.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

They've been talking about doing the same with Eric Berry. Neither seems very likely.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
#askcommish is amazing today.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Coldforge posted:

#askcommish is amazing today.

Haha that's perfect

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

He's almost certainly a cap casualty next year so if we can get a 2nd or 3rd for him this year it'd be nice.

CLEVELAND I AM LOOKING IN YOUR DIRECTION

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chichevache posted:

Well when you're claiming that you're going to factor in draft position and you start giving out negative grades for third day picks then I'm of course going to wonder what you expect out of a 7th rounder. To me the only way a guy in the 6th or 7th is a negative grade is if he somehow manages to injure one of our 1st- 5th round guys. If he somehow sees the field more than once a season then boy howdy he sure deserves a positive grade because he somehow made a team.

I'd say any 3rd day pick that doesn't make it two seasons deserves a negative grade. They don't have to play, but they should at least be bouncing between your inactives / practice squad when not-injured. I'll add the caveat that if you cut them and they get snatched up by someone else, you're still good, you successfully scouted players that can make it in the league.

Now, are PFF's grades super inconsistent? Sure, no argument there. I'd only consider even like half their -1.0 players busts, and pretty much don't care that their list of 0 and -0.5 players for every team is a mixed grab bag of garbage.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Alouicious posted:

aight

White was out of the league after like two games.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Parmesan Basil posted:

They've been talking about doing the same with Eric Berry. Neither seems very likely.
I don't think there's been any talk about moving Berry, outside of a really stupid article that Sam Mellinger wrote.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

Parmesan Basil posted:

We'll give you a 4th for Berry. Woodson, Berry and Branch would be a sick backfield.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MourningView posted:

White was out of the league after like two games.

Sure, but Jimmy Clausen's play was actively detrimental to success. Pat White got murdered on the field by Ike Taylor.

I also forgot Pat White was a 2nd round pick

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LiquidFriend posted:

I don't think there's been any talk about moving Berry, outside of a really stupid article that Sam Mellinger wrote.

Yea I can't imagine what would be worth losing Berry unless they had some super secret plan or whatever.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Man if Rap was @boring_as_heck that would be cool, that guy is funny. @PFTCommenter @awfulannouncing @wheatretard @BobbyBigWheel @jon_bois are all good follows too

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

bewbies posted:

He's almost certainly a cap casualty next year so if we can get a 2nd or 3rd for him this year it'd be nice.

CLEVELAND I AM LOOKING IN YOUR DIRECTION

He is getting old, expensive, often-hurt and just had a bad year. The Chiefs would be lucky to get a 5th

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Pron on VHS posted:

Man if Rap was @boring_as_heck that would be cool, that guy is funny.

It would be cool if rap was funny

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

#postingaboutposting

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
The NFL did an entertainingly misjudged Q&A on twitter just now.

It went about as well as anything on the internet ever does. Linky

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

tarbrush posted:

So this is what it's come down to for Chris Kluwe. Trolling Goodell on twitter.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Volkerball posted:

So this is what it's come down to for Chris Kluwe. Trolling Goodell on twitter.

It wasn't even a good troll and it got the most retweets and favorites over all the actually funny tweets.

*runs to chalkboard, puts another dash under the I Hate Kluwe category*

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Doltos posted:

It wasn't even a good troll and it got the most retweets and favorites over all the actually funny tweets.

*runs to chalkboard, puts another dash under the I Hate Kluwe category*

Well everyone else is just random people, so he probably has 10 times as many followers as all of them combined.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

tarbrush posted:

You'd think after witnessing the NYPD twitter incident they'd know better. Oops.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

ace8989 posted:

You'd think after witnessing the NYPD twitter incident they'd know better. Oops.

Or, even more notably, the Mark Emmertt one from like last week.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Kalli posted:

Or, even more notably, the Mark Emmertt one from like last week.

I have no idea how I missed this one. And now I have something to do until my class is over. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
So the police finally released the 911 calls regarding the Kaepernick/Lockette/Patton incident.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/05/06/4101367/police-focus-on-911-calls-from.html

quote:

Police released tape of a pair of April 1 calls on Tuesday,a week later than expected and without idenifying the men who made the calls. The calls last a combined 3 minutes and 16 seconds.

In the first minute and 44 second call, a man who identifies himself as hotel security says he’s calling because a woman in the hotel room won’t leave.

“She said her name was Jesus, and she don’t have no clothes on,” the man tells the 911 operator. At one point, he said, she scaremed and began to cry.

When the operator asks who the woman is visiting, the guard responds, “She’s visiting this gentleman here.” The guard says the woman isn’t violent.

The second call, which lasts one minute and 32 seconds, involves another unidentified male who wants police to come because, he says, a woman is lying in bed “and she’s not leaving” until a friend of his shows up —who the woman is demanding to see.

“There’s a young lady in my friend’s bed,” the caller says. “She says she’s not leaving until she sees him.”

The man goes on to say he’s not sure of the woman’s name. When the 911 operator repeats that the woman is fully naked in the bed, the man says of his friend, “No, no, he’s not her boyfriend. He’s someone she wants to sleep with.”

Here's the full audio. http://tmz.vo.llnwd.net/o28/newsdesk/tmz_audio/colin%20911_v2.mp3

• Locked thread