Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

mysterious frankie posted:

The only way I can see it doing everything they promise, performance wise, is if they did a monumentally lovely job optimizing DX11 for the hardware and 12 is going to be the new ground up optimized api.

Not only is that highly unlikely, all that does is underline that they released a console that they feel wasn't ready. And their current estimates have DX12 as still a year and a half away from being used in games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

univbee posted:

Not only is that highly unlikely, all that does is underline that they released a console that they feel wasn't ready. And their current estimates have DX12 as still a year and a half away from being used in games.

It seems pretty clear by now that the Xbox One was not meant to come out when it did, and that Microsoft pushed it out early so that they didn't end up being the PS3, and lagging behind a whole year. This probably wasn't helped by the fact that they had to completely reverse a lot of their decisions in the few months leading up to release, meaning they were working on less new things for it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

KittyEmpress posted:

It seems pretty clear by now that the Xbox One was not meant to come out when it did, and that Microsoft pushed it out early so that they didn't end up being the PS3, and lagging behind a whole year. This probably wasn't helped by the fact that they had to completely reverse a lot of their decisions in the few months leading up to release, meaning they were working on less new things for it.

PS3 turned out pretty great though in the end, and as major nelson said "its a marathon not a sprint" :v:

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."
So are there any interesting games coming out before we get to wolfenstein and watch dogs? Or are we still waiting for the arcade/indie side to get up to speed and provide the market with some cheap(ish) time killers?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Bobtista posted:

PS3 turned out pretty great though in the end, and as major nelson said "its a marathon not a sprint" :v:

Oh yeah, I think that it was a dumb decision for them to rush it out the door if it was unfinished like it seems to be. You can totally make up for a year of lost time in a 6-7 year generation. You can't make up for poisoning consumer good will and hamstringing your product to make it come out faster, though.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Sedisp posted:

You keep saying that but having a less powerful machine doesn't mean you'll get a treasure trove of style over "pixels". Consoles not made by Nintendo haven't historically been a great place for style over graphics. That may change because of id@Xbox but as a lot of indie deva have indicated Microsoft is being really lovely about the whole thing.

My point isnt that the bone is a better machine because it is slower and therefore magically makes devs more creative or something obviously stupid like that. My point is that at this point in the history of video games I prefer games that have great art direction over games that are pushing envelope in terms of whats possible in a lot of cases. And in the event that I did want the absolute best looking games in terms of envelope pushing technology, I would obviously get it on the PC rather than any console. But great art direction is great even on inferior technology, hence the reference to Wind Waker rather than a bone game. I agree that there arent a lot of instances on the bone of excellent art direction. Maybe Sunset Overdrive will break that trend, but its pretty far out to be speculating on.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Yeah, its kind of unclear to me whats going on with the WiiU, hardware wise. Everyone seems to think that the GPU is substantially more powerful than the 360's, but that its maybe a little lacking in some other areas. Despite this, pretty much every cross platform game looks better on the 360. I guess it could be dev laziness and a lack of optimization for a console they know wont make up a huge portion of their sales. Its weird regardless.

As to the other portion of your post, I understand that more power is more power and that more power is better.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 6, 2014

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

My point isnt that the bone is a better machine because it is slower and therefore magically makes devs more creative or something obviously stupid like that. My point is that at this point in the history of video games I prefer games that have great art direction over games that are pushing envelope in terms of whats possible in a lot of cases. Great art direction is great even on inferior technology, hence the reference to Wind Waker rather than a bone game. I agree that there arent a lot of instances on the bone of excellent art direction. Maybe Sunset Overdrive will break that trend, but its pretty far out to be speculating on.

Well, again, you did pick the HD version. I realize that it has other things besides a higher resolution but it's not like the PS4 is only good at making higher resolutions, it's just a bigger graphics powerhouse and developers will naturally have more of everything available for use. For my money, a more powerful system is exactly what I want if I want pretty looking art, because I want to see the artist's vision in as clear detail as possible, not squashed and stretched.

For what it's worth the Wii U is supposed to have a better graphics processor than the 360.

Teresa Heinz-Kirby
Jan 2, 2007

i was here first i had a reservation

KittyEmpress posted:

With the consoles being so architecturally similar now I wonder if we won't see staggered hardware releases, and companies playing leap-frog with each other. You can design something and then spend the next 8-10 years beating or trailing your competitor hardware-wise, or you can wait and see what they release, and design something around that, but getting better components per dollar, guaranteed.

Spending 4 years as the hot new premium console and 4 years as the huge-library-for-dirt-cheap console seems like a better deal than rolling the dice every 8 years to determine if your division (or company) will survive. Two whiffs in a row is a death sentence for any console manufacturer, and a lot of them only get one shot anyway.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

fisheyel83l posted:

With the consoles being so architecturally similar now I wonder if we won't see staggered hardware releases, and companies playing leap-frog with each other. You can design something and then spend the next 8-10 years beating or trailing your competitor hardware-wise, or you can wait and see what they release, and design something around that, but getting better components per dollar, guaranteed.

Spending 4 years as the hot new premium console and 4 years as the huge-library-for-dirt-cheap console seems like a better deal than rolling the dice every 8 years to determine if your division (or company) will survive. Two whiffs in a row is a death sentence for any console manufacturer, and a lot of them only get one shot anyway.

Yeah if the plan is just to basically make a budget, gaming focused PC (as opposed to using goofy architectures and specialty hardware) theres no much of a reason they couldnt do this.

\/\/\/\/\/ I am not saying that better hardware isnt better, I am saying that art direction matters more. Thats my only point. I dont why it is that everyone suddenly thinks that I cant grasp the basic concept of better hardware being better. I can. I understand that if the brilliant people who created the art for Windwaker made it on the PS4 it would look even better. I absolutely understand that. But they often dont. Nintendo makes lovely hardware and then some magicians make it sing. I think Windwaker looks better than Killzone even though Killzone is a technical marvel running on a much more powerful system.

I think Second Son and Killzone demonstrate this very well. They both run on the same hardware at 1080p. But Killzones devs dont seem to have a great handle on art direction. They went for most pixels/highest framerates/best textures but none of its interesting. You spend a bunch of time running through nondescript hallways and enclosed train stations and locations like that and they rarely let their tech shine in any particularly interesting way.

On the other hand, I wasnt ever blown away by screenshots of Second Son because most of the time, I got a most pixels/highest framerates/best textures but none of its interesting vibe from it as well. They locked themselves into the concept of making a realistic environment, which can be tricky to be overly creative with. But then they did wonderful things with the lighting and they got really creative with how the powers and particle effects look, and it ends up being a very interesting game visually and not just because of 1080p60 and all of that. You just know while playing it that the devs understand video games as a visual medium and that they were able to develop great technology and then actually fully realize it by actually having some great art direction. With Killzone, it never felt like they took that second step to me. The tech was there, but the interesting art rarely was.

Having access to the best technology often makes developers lazy I think. People will get excited about a game like Killzone because on a technical level, its looks great. Textures look great, jaggies are in check, runs smoothly. Check, check, and check.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 6, 2014

Goon
Apr 22, 2006
But windwaker HD doesn't have significantly different art direction from the SD version. They added a better lighting model, shaders and a lot of bloom. All of which were made possible through better hardware.

Artists are constrained by the tools at their disposal. The constraints force them to find creative ways to make the best looking game possible, but particularly for modern games based around realistic lighting and high quality textures, the better the hardware, the more closely the art direction can realize their intentions.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013
Basically. The great image quality of Windwaker HD has more to do with the improved assets, native resolution, new lighting engine, and probably added anti-aliasing. It helps that it has a stable 30 FPS frame rate.

The reason Nintendo games get away with "good art styles" is because the art styles they choose to use are ones where they can provide clean visuals as well as high/stable frame rates. That's why any of the console Mario games play and look so good.

But Mario benefits from the fact that there isn't a whole lot working in the background. I don't imagine the physics in Mario games being particularly complex or flooded with alpha textures. But even then, the improved specs of the Wii U allowed them to implement better dynamic lighting, better assets, and a higher native resolution for 3D Land. Better technology lets them achieve the visual style they want.

quote:

Having access to the best technology often makes developers lazy I think. People will get excited about a game like Killzone because on a technical level, its looks great. Textures look great, jaggies are in check, runs smoothly. Check, check, and check.

Killzone Shadow Fall had a perfectly good art style for what it wanted to achieve. But it doesn't change the fact its a bad game - it launched with some offensively bad texture quality in some instances, pretty bad gameplay, completely uninteresting plot/story, and unlocked frame rates.

But its a launch game so we forgive it for being rushed out.

jeffreyw fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 6, 2014

VincesUndies
Jul 18, 2002

Vince McMahon's Underpants
For me any big, graphically-amazing, single-player game I'll probably play on my PC (with the HDMI passthrough on the XB1 to my tv). Any multi-player type game(FIFA, BF4, Titanfall) I'll play on the XB1.
I prefer multi-player on the console because of the lack of cheating and because the Xbros are the most fun to play with.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Goon posted:

But windwaker HD doesn't have significantly different art direction from the SD version. They added a better lighting model, shaders and a lot of bloom. All of which were made possible through better hardware.

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing he bought Windwaker HD because it is not possible to buy Windwaker SD, unless you want to buy into Nintendo's abysmal marketplace (not sure if Windwaker is even offered on it). It makes no sense to say "gotcha!!" because he bought Windwaker HD instead of Windwaker HD.

Obviously more power is better, but to make a last gen comparison, the graphical difference between TLOU (looks amazing) and Saint's Row 2 (looks like a sub-par PS2 game) isn't because programmers "figured out" the PS3 in the four years between the two games. It's because the guys doing TLOU are amazing artists, and the guys doing Saint's Row 2 were alcoholic high school dropouts.

E: In case anyone doesn't know how terrible the Saint's Rows games look, e.g.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 6, 2014

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

^^^^^^ Also, this. People kept saying that I made a conscious effort to buy Wind Waker HD over SD and was therefore dumb and a hypocrite, but as far as I know I didnt have a choice in the matter and they were also missing my point.

jeffreyw posted:

Killzone Shadow Fall had a perfectly good art style for what it wanted to achieve. But it doesn't change the fact its a bad game - it launched with some offensively bad texture quality in some instances, pretty bad gameplay, completely uninteresting plot/story, and unlocked frame rates.

But its a launch game so we forgive it for being rushed out.

I would say that Killzones art style is 'fine'. Its not horrible, but basically nothing about that game is memorable, including the art style. Ryse is a pretty bad game, but the art was pretty great at times, and I do still remember certain sequences and how great they looked. Killzone is a marginally better game but the art is bland enough that I mostly remember things from that game like 'hey, another hallway' or 'why am I still running around on these traincars'. If you look through pre release screenies of Killzone, you would have know idea that such a big portion of the game takes place in confined spaces because the marketing folks were smart enough to release images featuring some more attractive set piece-type locations.

\/\/\/\/\/You can buy windwaker sd on ebay but good luck playing it on a WiiU, which is the system I own and would have to play it on. And I said (like 5 times at this point) that I know that better hardware is better and matter for graphics and art style. And that my point was that despite running on massively inferior hardware, Windwaker looks phenomenal because of excellent art direction, even in comparison to many PS4 games. There is nothing to explain to me or convince me of.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 6, 2014

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Windwaker is like 20 bucks on eBay was what I was getting at. I'm not pointing it out to call you dumb or a hypocrite, I am just trying to convince/show you that the technology matters even when you're mostly interested in a colorful cartoon man. It's not always obvious that that's true.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Never stop being reasonable, WinnebagoWarrior. We need more like you.

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Having access to the best technology often makes developers lazy I think. People will get excited about a game like Killzone because on a technical level, its looks great. Textures look great, jaggies are in check, runs smoothly.

I always sense something like this under the surface in PC (master race) "discussions" but it's never addressed, because MORE POWER. Please, explain at length why I am in error, PC gamers (master race.) :allears:

Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor posted:

I understand that more power is more power and that more power is better.

Ruff ruff ruff.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

univbee posted:

And their current estimates have DX12 as still a year and a half away from being used in games.

That time frame really bums me out too, if only because I'm so curious as to what exactly this is gonna frickin do for the system. While reading an article about it I saw it was to be released during the holiday season and got excited and then saw that it was holiday season 2015. I sort of shuffled around the neighborhood, kicking a can, for a couple hours after that.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I always sense something like this under the surface in PC (master race) "discussions" but it's never addressed, because MORE POWER. Please, explain at length why I am in error, PC gamers (master race.) :allears:

Please explain why a less powerful machine is more desirable than a more powerful machine. Doesn't have to be console related, just assume "generic computing device".

Consider also the scenario where the more powerful machine is somehow more affordable.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Bobtista posted:

Please explain why a less powerful machine is more desirable than a more powerful machine. Doesn't have to be console related, just assume "generic computing device".

Consider also the scenario where the more powerful machine is somehow more affordable.

Power consumption.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I'd honestly answer you but I am unaware of any 'error' you have made so can't, apart from that I am unsure as to what you are asking / point you are making.
Also, why do you keep typing (master race)?, it looks quite odd.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Bobtista posted:

Cognitive dissonance.

SparkPeople
Nov 10, 2012

withoutclass posted:

Power consumption.

Doesn't this only apply to portables?

Don't get me wrong, having a system suck down 800 watts isn't fun and I would trade down in that scenario. That said, increasing load will almost always increase power consumption. The optimizations we see today is the ability of the CPU/GPU to spin up and down quickly, along with smaller chips.

People generally pay for lower power consumption in increased costs and lowered performance for portables, but I've never seen it be called a selling point for performance desktop/console hardware.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

withoutclass posted:

Power consumption.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/173127-ps4-xbox-one-power-consumption-analysis-points-to-sony-advantage-and-future-efficiency-gains

PS4 barely uses more.

E: vvv welp

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SparkPeople posted:

Doesn't this only apply to portables?

Don't get me wrong, having a system suck down 800 watts isn't fun and I would trade down in that scenario. That said, increasing load will almost always increase power consumption. The optimizations we see today is the ability of the CPU/GPU to spin up and down quickly, along with smaller chips.

People generally pay for lower power consumption in increased costs and lowered performance for portables, but I've never seen it be called a selling point for performance desktop/console hardware.

In case you didn't get the reference, this was a stated reason as to why the WiiU is designed the way it is. No, it doesn't make any sense. Yes, Nintendo thought this was a huge issue.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

The PC has to run an OS + other additional programs and cannot be coded to the metal like a console can, because there isn't a set hardware platform to work off.

You need more power on a PC because it can do more than play video games and be an awful internet browser.

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.
Microsoft announced their E3 time/date. Monday, June 9 beginning at 9:30 AM PDT.

quote:

You can stream Xbox: Game On live beginning on June 9 at 9:00 AM PDT with our pre-show coverage on Xbox.com, Xbox Live, and Windows Phone globally. You can also watch Xbox: Game On on Spike TV in the U.S. and Canada at 9:30 AM PDT.

We’re also planning a number of fan-centric events both before and after Xbox: Game On for those fans that are in LA and for those who are watching around the world. Stay tuned for more details on those activities as we get closer to E3!
http://majornelson.com/2014/05/06/heres-how-to-watch-the-xbox-e3-2014-media-briefing/

Same time/date as they always have it. 1 month 2 days to go :).

edit: Killer Instinct Combo Breaker pack is on sale for 25% off.

Ronald Duck fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 7, 2014

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I would say that Killzones art style is 'fine'. Its not horrible, but basically nothing about that game is memorable, including the art style. Ryse is a pretty bad game, but the art was pretty great at times, and I do still remember certain sequences and how great they looked. Killzone is a marginally better game but the art is bland enough that I mostly remember things from that game like 'hey, another hallway' or 'why am I still running around on these traincars'. If you look through pre release screenies of Killzone, you would have know idea that such a big portion of the game takes place in confined spaces because the marketing folks were smart enough to release images featuring some more attractive set piece-type locations.

That's not an art problem. That's a GAME DESIGN problem you are describing. "Hey another hallway" is a problem associated with games that have bad level design that cannot achieve what they want. This is nothing to do with the art style they choose, its a product of focus testing.

You really can't say that bad game/level design and bad art direction are one and the same because that's basically what you're saying right now. The real problem of Killzone Shadow Fall, not some mysterious "art style" problem, is that its as mechanically uninteresting as Crysis 2 or 3. You don't remember anything about it because all of the setpieces have been done, but better, in most games and the game design is mediocre (horrible in the case of K:SF) enough that you don't give a poo poo about the game.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?
Has anyone noticed odd behaviour with the pass through HDMI on the Xbone?

I have a Raspberry Pi running XBMC and I recently switched it to use the Xbone pass through (instead of my 360) to save myself from changing inputs since we only really use the XBMC and the Xbone. Anyways, while I can start a video and it will play all the way through and even subsequent shows in the queue, the second I try to go home or stop the video using my Android remote, the screen goes black/blank and it appears as though the XBMC dies. To fix it, I can disconnect the HDMI plug and plug it back in or pull the power to XBMC. When I do either option, I get a split second of video feed showing me what should have been on the screen before I reset. This also occurs when the XBMC goes to sleep, it just refuses to wake up and the screen stays completely black.

This only happens when running through the Xbone and I don't understand what would be causing it.

While I can just switch it back to being plugged directly into the TV, it's really nice to be able to snap to watch shows while Titanfall is loading or for stupid games like Peggle where I don't need the game to be full screen and I get some TV show background noise.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

A c E posted:

I've not had any issues but I only have my cable box thru the hdmi.

There's another indie game coming out shortly, and like super time force and max curse of brotherhood, there's very little time between announcement and launch. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-s-first-sub-10-game-launching-this-week/1100-6419461/

I hope these types of surprises continue. Ninjitsu also came thru id@xbox.

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:

A c E posted:

I have a Raspberry Pi running XBMC and I recently switched it to use the Xbone pass through (instead of my 360) to save myself from changing inputs since we only really use the XBMC and the Xbone. Anyways, while I can start a video and it will play all the way through and even subsequent shows in the queue, the second I try to go home or stop the video using my Android remote, the screen goes black/blank and it appears as though the XBMC dies. To fix it, I can disconnect the HDMI plug and plug it back in or pull the power to XBMC. When I do either option, I get a split second of video feed showing me what should have been on the screen before I reset. This also occurs when the XBMC goes to sleep, it just refuses to wake up and the screen stays completely black.
I've fought with crazy Rpi+hdmi behaviour myself, and the first places I'd look are hdmi_force_hotplug and then config_hdmi_boost in config.txt

edit: Oh god what am I doing in this thread. Abort! Abort!

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Crafty posted:

I've not had any issues but I only have my cable box thru the hdmi.

Yeah so far it's just the Pi causing problems, though I've come across some posts here and there of people having issues with cable boxes while googling.

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

I've fought with crazy Rpi+hdmi behaviour myself, and the first places I'd look are hdmi_force_hotplug and then config_hdmi_boost in config.txt

edit: Oh god what am I doing in this thread. Abort! Abort!

Thanks. I'm fairly certain I have hdmi_force_hotplug enabled on my other Pi that's hooked up to a dumb TV, so I'll give those a shot on the Xbone one to see if it helps.

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

A c E posted:

I've heard of that happening if the HDMI in device doesn't play audio. After a few seconds of silence the Xbox stops updating the video feed. Playing a looping white noise supposedly fixes it http://www.codewhirl.com/2013/11/xbox-one-hdmi-in-screen-freezing/

You could also try quitting out of the TV app as a short term fix rather then having to unplug cables. Menu button on the dashboard lets you quit out of games/apps.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

jeffreyw posted:

That's not an art problem. That's a GAME DESIGN problem you are describing. "Hey another hallway" is a problem associated with games that have bad level design that cannot achieve what they want. This is nothing to do with the art style they choose, its a product of focus testing.

You really can't say that bad game/level design and bad art direction are one and the same because that's basically what you're saying right now. The real problem of Killzone Shadow Fall, not some mysterious "art style" problem, is that its as mechanically uninteresting as Crysis 2 or 3. You don't remember anything about it because all of the setpieces have been done, but better, in most games and the game design is mediocre (horrible in the case of K:SF) enough that you don't give a poo poo about the game.

Don't get me wrong, killzone had terrible level design on top of mediocre art direction but there are ways to make mundane levels interesting with fantastic art. Spec ops:the line springs to mind immediately. The definition of great art covering every inch of terrible levels.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I'm not sure what you want people to explain. Your sentence doesn't really make sense in the context of what you responded to. :shrug:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Chick3n posted:

I've heard of that happening if the HDMI in device doesn't play audio. After a few seconds of silence the Xbox stops updating the video feed. Playing a looping white noise supposedly fixes it http://www.codewhirl.com/2013/11/xbox-one-hdmi-in-screen-freezing/

You could also try quitting out of the TV app as a short term fix rather then having to unplug cables. Menu button on the dashboard lets you quit out of games/apps.
If that's the case Settings -> System [Advanced or above] -> 'Keep audio device alive' should workaround the problem. No idea why the hell they're using the indirect audio method.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

If that's the case Settings -> System [Advanced or above] -> 'Keep audio device alive' should workaround the problem. No idea why the hell they're using the indirect audio method.

That's actually interesting; they really designed it for a cable box, something which is on and sending a signal 24/7 even if the TV isn't, and didn't really explicitly design it for use with anything else.

univbee fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 7, 2014

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Chick3n posted:

Audio is going through the HDMI, although I guess the menu would be silent. Good point.

Also quitting the TV app is much easier thanks. gently caress getting up and unplugging poo poo.

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.
Sunset Overdrive First Look trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMnjoqr5glk

A number of sites also have hands-on impressions of Sunset Overdrive:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/in-xbox-one-exclusive-sunset-overdrive-energy-drinks-are-evil/1100-6419496/
http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/05/08/sunset-overdrive-open-world-adventures-in-the-awesomepocalypse
http://kotaku.com/our-first-real-look-at-sunset-overdrive-1573151521

Sunset Overdrive looks like a cartoony Dead Rising to me. Really liking the art style.

Nutjitsu is out (America only I think). It runs as an app not a game. http://majornelson.com/2014/05/08/nutjitsu-is-now-available-on-xbox-one/

quote:

Technologically, we are the first to release an Xbox One game that can run like an app. This means you can watch a movie or play another game, then switch over to Nutjitsu for a few minutes without closing your other activity.

I tried out of the free version of Nutjitsu on PC and it's not a very good game. I am hoping that Bejeweled or Hexic or another good puzzle game comes out as a similar "app". Something simple and quick that I can play while waiting for my proper game.

Halo 5 tease? "30s ago - Halo 5 - Infinity Slayer on Haven" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pN4OUiXaxs&t=50s

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Sunset Overdrive looks like it's the Saint's Row to Dead Rising's GTA. I can't decide if that's something I want right now or not, but it's certainly an interesting proposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Funkmaster General posted:

Sunset Overdrive looks like it's the Saint's Row to Dead Rising's GTA. I can't decide if that's something I want right now or not, but it's certainly an interesting proposition.

Yeah, that looks way more interesting to me then I was thinking.

• Locked thread