Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Just got back from montreal and had a meal at this vegetarian (99% vegan but they do a quiche with eggs). All the food had plenty of flavour. There were a couple of offerings with a bit of a spicy kick to them. Plenty of good fresh ingredients. All said and done, a huuuuge lunch with two sides and a main cost $10 Canadian.

Almost didn't go because half the reviews panned the place for having bad tasting food, being way overpriced, and said that the very sweet and friendly staff were rude.

Edit and it's all organic and kosher and made fresh daily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

esperantinc posted:

Any of you guys ever travelled to Lithuania? I'm going to Kaunas for a week and a half later this month. I've heard there's a decent beer scene there, which is exciting.

Ay, I'm from there. Klaipeda specifically. Hope you like sour cream, potatoes, and pork. Cuz that's how we do :colbert: But seriously, peasant food for dayyyys.

Beer wise, our porters are pretty good (Utenos Alus porter specifically). I haven't been back in a long time so there's probably new poo poo out. Our generic supermarket beer (Švyturys, Kalnapilis) is actually not too bad, imo, probably because making terrible miller-lite pisswater is punishable by death. I am probably not qualified to be passing judgement, though. Are you going with anyone who knows the language?

Out of curiosity, why are you visiting? Not a lot of people know the country exists, so it's always a surprise when it gets mentioned.

Real answer: try all of them

M42 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 7, 2014

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

M42 posted:

Out of curiosity, why are you visiting? Not a lot of people know the country exists, so it's always a surprise when it gets mentioned.
What? Lithuania is famous. It's the birthplace of Hannibal Lecter.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Tell that to the 95% of people I've ever met who blank face when I tell them where I'm from :shrug:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

contrapants posted:

You're deadly and disgusting. hth

I will cut you.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Scientastic posted:

My prize for the ICSA arrived today. And it's AMAZING. Wiggles, you're the best.

I'm glad you like it. :)

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Squashy Nipples posted:

So then I read this review from someone who was there at the same time I was:

Every nice resort and restaurant has reviews that are hilariously out of touch.

I really like this one for Jean Georges' restaurant in the Bahamas "Dune". Backstory: everything at Atlantis is priced like you're at a sports stadium. A bottle of crummy local beer is $10 USD. "Dune" is in their even more upscale golf club thing.

Some Idiot posted:

We visited Dune for lunch on our honeymoon, and were very much looking forward to the visit, however we were bitterly disappointed by the experience. The restaurant itself is stunning, beutifully set on the beach, and the lunch menu was very interesting - I had the conch salad followed by the grouper sandwich, both of which were very good and reasonably priced for the location.
However we felt frankly cheated by the wine price. On asking for a glass of wine on arrival, the waiter begin to verbally list the wines by the glass, I then asked for a wine menu but the waiter would not provide one, and instead re-listed the 3-4 white wines on offer. Assuming this was all that was available, I asked for the chardonnay, and had 2 glasses over the course of the meal. It was not until we recieved the bill that we realised we had been charged $50 for the 2 small glasses. This exceeded the full price of the meal, and was ridiculously out of proportion. Frankly we felt scammed, particularly with the clear refusal to provide a priced list (we similarly asked for tap water and were brought a bottle of water and charged $9.50 for the pleasure). We came away kicking ourselves for not being more forceful in insisting to see prices, but we felt intimidated by the waiters and the formal setting. If you do choose to eat here I'm sure you can have a very pleasant experience if you heed our cautionary tale and be sure to check on wine prices before ordering!

Yeah, you should probably find out how much things cost before you order them if $50 is a lot, or not visit fine dining establishments in resorts.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

M42 posted:

Tell that to the 95% of people I've ever met who blank face when I tell them where I'm from :shrug:

lol christ I hate americans. there's no excuse for not knowing lithuania is a country. not knowing where it is exactly is forgivable, but blank facing?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Chemmy posted:

I really like this one for Jean Georges' restaurant in the Bahamas "Dune". Backstory: everything at Atlantis is priced like you're at a sports stadium. A bottle of crummy local beer is $10 USD. "Dune" is in their even more upscale golf club thing.

Yeah, you should probably find out how much things cost before you order them if $50 is a lot, or not visit fine dining establishments in resorts.
If app + lunch (+ $10 water?) was less than $50, it's not like it's super high-end. A $25 glass of wine wouldn't be de rigeur.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Casu Marzu posted:

I will cut you.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chemmy posted:

you should always ask what things cost if you care, or you're an idiot

that said, $50 is ridiculous for two glasses of wine that a waiter recommended. I eat at stupid ridiculously priced places a couple times a year, and I still find that really absurd. $35 would be the max I'd expect for two glasses of 'by the glass' wine at almost any resort or nice as poo poo restaurant. Just based on the fact that normally places only do by the glass on lower tiered bottles, and I've never seen a place not have glasses of wine in the 12-15$ range. maybe a 20 or 25 creeps in, but that's the tops.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Anne Whateley posted:

If app + lunch (+ $10 water?) was less than $50, it's not like it's super high-end. A $25 glass of wine wouldn't be de rigeur.

I doubt that their lunch was that cheap. You can't get a literal ham sandwich and two beers for $50 at Atlantis.

Edit: here's the lunch menu. Maybe they ordered two of the cheapest entrees.

http://oceanclub.oneandonlyresorts.com/content/pdf/menus/DUNELunchMenu.pdf

Edit2: at any rate maybe this was a bad example, but go browse tripadvisor for people complaining the wifi on their Tahitian overwater bungalow was too slow. Travel reviews are the worst.

Chemmy fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 7, 2014

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
My Bahamian tour guide described Atlantis as the Bahamas Disney World. The prices were what I expected because of that.

The tourists were thinner than at Disney, of course.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

contrapants posted:

My Bahamian tour guide described Atlantis as the Bahamas Disney World. The prices were what I expected because of that.

The tourists were thinner than at Disney, of course.

I have never heard of this place, but had to google it.

lol what the gently caress, 90% of the rooms look like a goddamn howard johnson, but the rates are like $500-700/nt. and there doesn't appear to be anything to do/nearby other than ResortThings. and it's not all-inclusive. I don't understannnddddddd

I get like jade mountain where you just clearly have way too much money and are eager to spend it, but I don't know what could convince anyone in their right mind to part ways with several hundred dollars a night for a HoJo room on a beach.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

They basically build a new hotel building every time the rooms are outdated. My buddy stayed in the Hojo rooms for like $99 a night.

It's nice, just crazy expensive.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Chemmy posted:

Edit2: at any rate maybe this was a bad example, but go browse tripadvisor for people complaining the wifi on their Tahitian overwater bungalow was too slow. Travel reviews are the worst.

I'm starting to realize that. Even worse then Yelp reviews!

Here is a review from the Four Seasons in Costa Rica (which is all alone on a beautiful, unspoiled peninsula):

quote:

Came to Costa Rica with my family. I was highly recommended to stay at this hotel. The canopy 1 bedroom with pool is really nice but there is not much to do at the resort. ... Still here and wish I could have gone home a couple of days early but for the expensive hotel pricing and difficultly of finding flights back to Los Angeles, we are staying here and trying to make the best of it.

"trying to make the best of it"

That private villa he is renting starts at like $1795 a night. Which is more then I spent on a room for all five days of my vacation.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I don't like visiting anyplace where I don't feel like there's a reasonable expectation that you might get shanked.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SubG posted:

I don't like visiting anyplace where I don't feel like there's a reasonable expectation that you might get shanked.

LOL, I remember when I went to Japan, my buddy had a local connection who worked at the for WSJ Japan. When I showed him my map of Tokyo, he started pointing out the different districts, telling us where to go for what. Then he pointed to this one area and said, "Don't go here unless you want Chinese guys to cut you open with rusty knives."

On my recent trip, we stayed at a fairly remote resort. Since I too enjoy imminent danger, we took a cab to a grungy tourist trap town some distance away. It was fairly safe, but my girlfriend was disturbed by all the stray dogs begging for food. She wanted to take them all home. I guess I forgot to warn her about that, in my mind it's part of traveling.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

mindphlux posted:

I have never heard of this place, but had to google it.

lol what the gently caress, 90% of the rooms look like a goddamn howard johnson, but the rates are like $500-700/nt. and there doesn't appear to be anything to do/nearby other than ResortThings. and it's not all-inclusive. I don't understannnddddddd

I get like jade mountain where you just clearly have way too much money and are eager to spend it, but I don't know what could convince anyone in their right mind to part ways with several hundred dollars a night for a HoJo room on a beach.

I went to Atlantis on a day trip while on a cruise. Just going for the water park for a day was worth it. I don't think I'd ever spend the money to rent a room there, though.

Squashy Nipples posted:

LOL, I remember when I went to Japan, my buddy had a local connection who worked at the for WSJ Japan. When I showed him my map of Tokyo, he started pointing out the different districts, telling us where to go for what. Then he pointed to this one area and said, "Don't go here unless you want Chinese guys to cut you open with rusty knives."

When I went to Cancun, I asked a Mexican friend of mine if he'd been in the area and what was worth exploring. He said, "Just stay out of this general area," motioning toward the entire map.

After paying for the trip, we didn't have any money left over to try much of the local food, anyway.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.

the42ndtourist posted:

Really? Don't the grain husks bother you? When I tried that I couldn't get past the husks. Or do you grind your grain fine enough that the husks aren't so noticeable?

Fiber, yo

I mean I occasionally pick some husk from my teeth on a rare occasion but it's not much of a nuisance. I just try and knead flour only into a very firm dough before adding the grain so some gluten strands develop first. Very flavorful bread

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Chemmy posted:

She got the conch salad and fish sandwich, which came to $41. She wasn't saying that the meal for /both/ of them was less than $50, but her own meal was. So basically she had to shell out $91 for a salad, sandwich, and two glasses of wine. I can see where someone would consider that a little ridiculous.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

She got the conch salad and fish sandwich, which came to $41. She wasn't saying that the meal for /both/ of them was less than $50, but her own meal was. So basically she had to shell out $91 for a salad, sandwich, and two glasses of wine. I can see where someone would consider that a little ridiculous.

Same here. I don't think that's an unreasonable complaint.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We visited atlantis on a cruise several years back and the only thing I really remember from the place was everything was holy poo poo expensive there.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

M42 posted:

Ay, I'm from there. Klaipeda specifically. Hope you like sour cream, potatoes, and pork. Cuz that's how we do :colbert: But seriously, peasant food for dayyyys.

Beer wise, our porters are pretty good (Utenos Alus porter specifically). I haven't been back in a long time so there's probably new poo poo out. Our generic supermarket beer (Švyturys, Kalnapilis) is actually not too bad, imo, probably because making terrible miller-lite pisswater is punishable by death. I am probably not qualified to be passing judgement, though. Are you going with anyone who knows the language?

Real answer: try all of them

I'll be ok with a bunch of peasant food.

I'm going for work. We've got an office in Kaunas that I'm heading to. I'm going alone, but I'm sure I'll be getting taken out a bunch by folks that are local. :shrug:

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

dino. posted:

quote:

It was not until we recieved the bill that we realised we had been charged $50 for the 2 small glasses. This exceeded the full price of the meal, and was ridiculously out of proportion.

I interpreted that to mean her salad, sandwich, and everything her husband got added up to less than $50. That might also include the $9.50 bottle of water. Assuming the husband got the same food, getting two salads and sandwiches, all containing seafood, for $40.50 isn't bad.

I'll agree that the reviewer should have been more forceful, but I don't think the prices are too overpriced for an upscale beach resort restaurant.

I can't talk about the wine, though. There are glasses of wine by where I live that cost between $10 and $100.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

contrapants posted:

I interpreted that to mean her salad, sandwich, and everything her husband got added up to less than $50. That might also include the $9.50 bottle of water. Assuming the husband got the same food, getting two salads and sandwiches, all containing seafood, for $40.50 isn't bad.

I'll agree that the reviewer should have been more forceful, but I don't think the prices are too overpriced for an upscale beach resort restaurant.

I can't talk about the wine, though. There are glasses of wine by where I live that cost between $10 and $100.

oh yeah, no. There's no way in hell that the both of them could have eaten for $41. That's the cost of each of their portions, according to that menu that was posted. Heck, I don't even think she was fussed about paying $40+ for lunch, because as you mentioned, it's all seafood, which can get hella pricey rather quickly.

Yeah, in New York, your average glass of wine is between $8 - $12 a glass, a more expensive one around $14 - $18 if you go to a wine bar in Chelsea. If I'm havin' a nice meal, I'm ok with spending like $40 - $50 on a bottle of wine, because that's about what I can afford. Which leads me to this question: if you are splurging on a nice meal, what would you be willing to spend on a bottle of wine? This isn't like you're drinking to get hammered, but are on a date, or haven't seen a friend in forever, but don't want to break the bank on a bottle of wine, because you still need to tip the waiter a reasonable amount, taxes are $$$, and the taxi's gonna cost too. So like, not rotgut, but not like one of those $100 a glass situations either.

Or, OK. Say it's not a date, but a dear friend you haven't seen in forever, and you want to have a nice evening at a sit down place. They have a range between $26 a bottle and $75 a bottle. What do?

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

dino. posted:

oh yeah, no. There's no way in hell that the both of them could have eaten for $41. That's the cost of each of their portions, according to that menu that was posted.

I just opened the menu. Wow, you're right! That's crazy! I doubt they would have split the salad and sandwich to make what I thought make sense.

It's a good thing the reviewer didn't go for dinner. The dinner menu doesn't have prices listed at all.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

esperantinc posted:

I'll be ok with a bunch of peasant food.

I'm going for work. We've got an office in Kaunas that I'm heading to. I'm going alone, but I'm sure I'll be getting taken out a bunch by folks that are local. :shrug:

Oh, that's good! They'll definitely know what's up, so no need to worry. If you've got time, there's a shitton of old castles, churches, museums, etc in the city. Too much to list, so check out the wiki page and see if anything catches your eye. Also, old town owns.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

dino. posted:

Or, OK. Say it's not a date, but a dear friend you haven't seen in forever, and you want to have a nice evening at a sit down place. They have a range between $26 a bottle and $75 a bottle. What do?
See if I recognize anything. If they have something that you know is an especially good deal and want to drink, go for that, because it's fun to feel all cool and knowledgeable and poo poo...

If it's one of those restaurants where the sommelier might actually know something, I ask about a few bottles in the style and price range I'm interested in. Usually they take the hint and recommend whatever they happen to like in that range/style.

If neither of the above apply, err on the cheaper because at that point you're just flying blind anyways. I may also have cellar trackered on my phone in the past.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 7, 2014

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

M42 posted:

Oh, that's good! They'll definitely know what's up, so no need to worry. If you've got time, there's a shitton of old castles, churches, museums, etc in the city. Too much to list, so check out the wiki page and see if anything catches your eye. Also, old town owns.

My hotel is right in the middle of Old Town so that is exciting to hear! Thanks for the tips!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dino. posted:

Determine the region you want and ask the waiter for a recommendation. (In my experience) he'll likely rec something in the lower middle. And you don't look like a cheapskate.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Also if you ever find yourself in search of a good place to eat breakfast, ask one of the busboys at the hotel. This was how I found the glory and wonder of Charlie's Sandwich Shoppe in Boston <3 <3

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

contrapants posted:

I just opened the menu. Wow, you're right! That's crazy! I doubt they would have split the salad and sandwich to make what I thought make sense.

It's a good thing the reviewer didn't go for dinner. The dinner menu doesn't have prices listed at all.

I can kind of see that for seafood. You may not know what you are getting in each morning, market prices are determined first thing each day, whatever. I can get not having it on your menu online because it's so fluid. One of my favorite places to eat does this.

But if I'm ordering food, there had better be prices next to the name and description of every item. I don't care if it's handwritten in there each day and the expense of having someone do that everyday is rolled into the cost of the meal, it needs to be there.

Maybe I'm just a low class guy, but the idea of "If you have to ask, you can't afford it" is just a lovely attitude to have. And it shouldn't apply to the menu at a resort town restaurant.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CzarChasm posted:

I can kind of see that for seafood. You may not know what you are getting in each morning, market prices are determined first thing each day, whatever. I can get not having it on your menu online because it's so fluid. One of my favorite places to eat does this.

But if I'm ordering food, there had better be prices next to the name and description of every item. I don't care if it's handwritten in there each day and the expense of having someone do that everyday is rolled into the cost of the meal, it needs to be there.

Maybe I'm just a low class guy, but the idea of "If you have to ask, you can't afford it" is just a lovely attitude to have. And it shouldn't apply to the menu at a resort town restaurant.

Agreed. I also now have no shame in saying that a recommendation is too pricey and can they suggest something a bit less expensive.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

CzarChasm posted:

I can even see it for things whose market price fluctuates wildly. But then, list the price of all the crap that's standard fare, and then put "(Market Price)" next to the poo poo that is going to fluctuate. I've seen that all over the place, even in mid-range or low-range places. It's especially the case in Florida, where you have a lot of seafood going down. OR, I think it's fine if the place does a fixed price dinner that everyone has to participate in to get a table. So you get an app, a main, a side, and a dessert, then everything else is extra or something. That I've also seen all over the place, and it works out well, because few people will order the most expensive thing on the menu, because people have different tastes.

Also, the bolded.

Also, agree with Therattle. It's fine to admit that something is out of your price range, and can they please suggest something a little closer to my budget?

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

CzarChasm posted:

I agree with this, therattle, and dino.

Surprisingly little of that dinner menu has seafood in it. Some of the seafood, like conch and grouper, are Bahamian staple dishes. Those have a price listed at every other place I've seen. Like dino said, most of the menu can have a price with only a few lines being marked "Market Price."

When I plan to go out to dinner, I look at the menu first to get a sense of the average dish price. A menu with no prices means I can't go there. As mentioned, that's a lovely attitude to have.

On the other hand, Atlantis is home of the most expensive hotel suite in the world at $25,000 per night for the Bridge Suite, so I probably wouldn't go anywhere near a restaurant that calls itself "upscale" in that area.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

That place does not look like a good place to stay. I don't even see individual huts suspended over the lagoon with little boardwalks back to dry land.

They probably don't even offer a massage/drinks/cigar/beach combination. Sheesh.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Many restaurants don't list prices on the menus on their website because they are subject to change more often than they update the website. It's to avoid people coming in and bickering/being upset because it's different than what they saw on the web. The physical menu they hand you in the restaurant will have the prices listed.

Sounds like that reviewer is probably not a very experience fine-dining diner or did not pay much attention... I have a hard time believing the tap water = 9.50 bottle of water and the wine thing went down exactly like they said, although it's not out of the realm of possibility.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Does anyone have any really good strawberry-rhubarb tart recipes? I figure it's the pie of the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Just had such a great southern dinner. Greens slow cooked all day, home made mac and cheese, liver and onions, iced tea. There is something deeply satisfying about eating that sort of food with the family around the table, the doors of the house all open, bluegrass on the radio, and light fading over the western mountains. Country life is the best life.