Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

meatpimp posted:

:siren: Advice needed --
What say you, AI collective?
I dont have any advice, but that really sucks. A cruddy tire shop near me did the same thing to my last oldsmobile. So when I got my mustang I went to a different repair shop and bribed them with coffee, and nicely asked the manager if they could make sure to hand tighten it. He said he makes sure they do anyway. :coal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

What say you, AI collective?

Get it fixed at the dealer and send the check to the shop that hosed it up. If they refuse take them to court.

That's the main reason I always change the oil myself, after having two oil pans stripped I said gently caress this it's not worth it. They're all in a hurry and give no fucks about your car, then deny deny deny when they gently caress it up.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I had a shop twist the head off a bolt that fastens the rear trailing arm to the body and didn't think it was important to tell me.

These days I only take my stuff to a local guy when I can't do it. He does alignments with string and and camber gauges and they are better than any alignment I've had done at alignment specific shops. They can't even be bothered to centre the steering wheel.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

rscott posted:

my AC unit is out, they didn't have any working spares so they found this window unit for me to use until they get a replacement

give no fucks, I've got cold air blowing on me and I don't feel like I'm going to melt into a puddle

Are those stacks of unfolded pizza boxes?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Cape Cod chips are like god drat crack cocaine.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Great Beer posted:

they had better be since it's a federal crime to misuse those free USPS boxes :ssh:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Cape Cod chipsChicken flavored crackers are like god drat crack cocaine.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

mafoose posted:

I take it the stock pan is aluminum? If so, I'd take a thread insert over threaded aluminum any day. That said, the proper way to do it would be removing the pan, and if you're going to go that far, a new pan might not be a bad idea.

Most aluminum pans I've seen come with steel thread inserts already, so those are what got chewed up.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Great Beer posted:

Looks like it says "XBOX".

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Naw the stacks of boxes below the A/C.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

e2: So verizon swapped out all of our cable boxes/DVRs for the whole house VMS + IP terminals.

They're slow as 90 year old balls, BTW, but you can do pause/rewind/etc on every TV in the house. Just don't expect them to respond to anything in less than 5 seconds.

The one box that I neglected to set up purchase restrictions on is in the master bedroom.

About 30 minutes ago, a knock at the door, stepdad saying "I think I hit the wrong button".

I look through the purchase history on that terminal ("cable box"). Nothing. :confused:

Then an email..

quote:

THANK YOU FOR YOUR RECENT ORDER

Recent Activity Summary for 05-07-2014
This area provides a summary of a recent update or change to your account. As a result of this change a full revised estimate of your monthly charges and what to expect on your first bill is provided.
New Sports Pass $9.99/month

20 minute phone call later, it's fixed. I think.

Goddamnit I wish I could talk the entire house into just using the HDHomeRun Primes. I think once the price of Intel NUCs comes down a little more, that'll be a reality. Having the whole house rely on those + ethernet tuners would knock an easy $50/mo off of my bill, though DVR stuff would become a little more complicated.

rscott posted:

my AC unit is out, they didn't have any working spares so they found this window unit for me to use until they get a replacement

give no fucks, I've got cold air blowing on me and I don't feel like I'm going to melt into a puddle

I would do questionable things to get either a window unit that would work with my shutters (inside shutters) or a portable unit that could exhaust out the window.

I like my living space cooler than most people, but cranking up the 5 1/2 ton whole-house unit to keep one room nice and cool is $$$$$$$$$. The cheapest portable I'm finding that's not an evaporative cooler is still close to $300 (but it's also 8000 BTU, which will keep this room downright frigid, with an energy sticker showing an average cost of $35-40/yr). Pretty sure I'm going to go ahead and order it once my paycheck clears.

e: those look like flat rate Priority Mail boxes, not pizza boxes.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 7, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So I got hungry for a baked potato. Went in the kitchen, nuked a potato (since nukesteam is .... well, not baked, but about an hour quicker.. add another 30 minutes to heat up our lovely oven). Intending to put butter, cheese, and green onions on it. Maybe some crumbled bacon.

I have no idea what the gently caress vortex I fell into, but I left the kitchen with pan fried potatoes, scrambled eggs, green onions, sauteed mushrooms, sauteed jalapenos, cheese, ham, bacon, and... I honestly have no loving idea what else went in it, but it was all mixed into one big greasy sloppy delicious plate.

I hate mushrooms (never liked them). I'm not a big fan of eggs either (they're basically pure cholesterol, and I already have high blood pressure). It's also been about 18 hours since I hit the :350: - only real difference between today and any other time is I haven't had a drink in 2 days.

I'm getting a blood draw Thursday morning for a cholesterol screening. Pretty sure I kicked it up a few (thousand) points with this meal. A very, very, very delicious meal. And I'm still hungry. :argh:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

leica posted:

Get it fixed at the dealer and send the check to the shop that hosed it up. If they refuse take them to court.

That's the main reason I always change the oil myself, after having two oil pans stripped I said gently caress this it's not worth it. They're all in a hurry and give no fucks about your car, then deny deny deny when they gently caress it up.

Yup, just about my thoughts. I'll update when there's news.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

some texas redneck posted:

So I got hungry for a baked potato. Went in the kitchen, nuked a potato (since nukesteam is .... well, not baked, but about an hour quicker.. add another 30 minutes to heat up our lovely oven). Intending to put butter, cheese, and green onions on it. Maybe some crumbled bacon.

I have no idea what the gently caress vortex I fell into, but I left the kitchen with pan fried potatoes, scrambled eggs, green onions, sauteed mushrooms, sauteed jalapenos, cheese, ham, bacon, and... I honestly have no loving idea what else went in it, but it was all mixed into one big greasy sloppy delicious plate.

I hate mushrooms (never liked them). I'm not a big fan of eggs either (they're basically pure cholesterol, and I already have high blood pressure). It's also been about 18 hours since I hit the :350: - only real difference between today and any other time is I haven't had a drink in 2 days.

I'm getting a blood draw Thursday morning for a cholesterol screening. Pretty sure I kicked it up a few (thousand) points with this meal. A very, very, very delicious meal. And I'm still hungry. :argh:

You bastard. I've been wondering what to make for breakfast, you're not helping.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

T1g4h posted:

You bastard. I've been wondering what to make for breakfast, you're not helping.

Seems more like he made it easier for you

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I know we have a few phone geeks in here so I thought I would throw this out:

Picked up a Gear 2 watch and having a bitch of a time getting the software to finish syncing it with my ATT GS4 on rooted 4.2.2. The Gear 2 worked flawlessly with my tab pro 10.1 on stock 4.4.x.

So I'm thinking I just need to upgrade my phone, but I'm not sure if I should keep root as all I really do with it is the occasional backup and freeze a few annoyances. I'm leaning towards the shostock build which would keep root (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2468860), or going full stock and losing root.

The former is easy, just wipe and install using TWRP or CWM - but if I went the latter route, what's the best method - Just turn on the OTA update or do I need to revert to a recovery build and let it run from there?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

freelop posted:

Seems more like he made it easier for you

You would think that, but despite working in a restaurant, I have zero cooking skill, so his crazy hodgepodge recipe is right out. Unless I want to set the entire kitchen on fire :v:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

they had better be since it's a federal crime to misuse those free USPS boxes :ssh:

they aren't mine, they were provided by maintenance to help balance the window unit or something. Or maybe I'm supposed to burn them for heat the next time it gets cold idk

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Cape Cod chips are like god drat crack cocaine.

Utz Crab Chips. I will eat them until my mouth burns.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

meatpimp posted:

Yup, just about my thoughts. I'll update when there's news.

Goodyear store brought in a mechanic from the VW dealer ~15 miles away. Replaced the bolt with another bolt and apparently all is well. I got this second-hand and he's selling the car anyway, so looks like this was much ado about nothing.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

My dad had to replace the sun visor in my grandma's A4 for some reason and replaced it with the normal one, while her's originally had a bunch of stuff on it like a built in garage opener. Now none of her interior lights work. Guess what I get to fix on Friday?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Is a '99 MG F a nice/desirable car? I started a new job and it turns out one of my new co-workers is a gearhead. He has one, and he's completely restored it, complete disassembly, media blasting parts, the works. I had no idea what it was so I looked it up, and it basically seems like a British MR2.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
They get a lot of stick, but they really aren't a bad design, they just have the worst combination of a poo poo headgasket design and hilariously bad access to replace it. Supposedly the "final" head gasket version is a lot better. The hydragas suspension always struck me as being an excessively complicated way of doing things, too, but the later TF ones are on coils.

I think of them as being a bit like TR7s. Not particularly bad, but I just don't really see the appeal.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Is the MGF the one that they built in China or is that just the TF?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
They were all built in the UK until Rover copped it, the TF is the later model from the last few years before it happened. They moved production to restart in China a couple of years after that following the company sale, and then about a year or so later they started sending the cars as CKD kits to be assembled in the UK, only for them to stop again due to lack of demand.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My dad had to replace the sun visor in my grandma's A4 for some reason and replaced it with the normal one, while her's originally had a bunch of stuff on it like a built in garage opener. Now none of her interior lights work. Guess what I get to fix on Friday?

Would chuckle if he just twisted all the cable ends together and shoved them back into the headliner.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Knowing Audi my bet is that he unplugged it properly, but everything is controlled via CAN bus and for some reason, they put the logic to handle sending the message to turn the lights on into that particular module.

This is 25% logic/experience, 50% laughing at Audi, and 25% assumptions, so it'll be funny if I'm right.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

bandman posted:

My wife found a 60s-vintage Sero Scotty camper for $700 that needs a good bit of work and fell in love with it. She's committed us to picking it up in Columbia, SC on Saturday. The pictures the seller sent look like they were taken with a 15 year old cell phone, but from what I can tell, it seems to not be complete disaster. One corner definitely needs to be rebuilt from the inside out, but the rest looks solid. A full redo of the inside is in order, mostly to remove the shitter/shower because gently caress having to deal with a black water tank.

I have a feeling I am in for a world of pain, mold, and spending. Happy wife, happy life, I suppose.

Ok, having looked at photo albums and message board threads where these campers have been redone, I feel better about this trailer as a starting point and my ability to turn it into something usable. It looks like most of the time the whole drat thing has to come apart anyway to fix water damage or replace floors, so people just build a new floor and use the original parts as templates to cut new walls from plywood. Where I think we will have some difficulty is in the interior design stuff. I'm a geologist, she's an engineer, neither of us have any clue about aesthetics or design elements. Structural and mechanical repairs are no problem, but making it look nice is not our bag.

I see this as my wife basically telling me to buy more power tools, go to the garage, and build stuff. That's never a bad thing, right?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Well as long as no one else ever looks at it (or you don't care what other people think, that works too) just build it how you guys are happy with it and call it a day.

If I end up doing my interior design and layout on my house (which is almost guaranteed), it's going to be pretty drat industrial/institutional. I'm OK with that, to hell with what anyone else thinks, stainless steel and plate glass everywhere! :v:

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

kastein posted:

Well as long as no one else ever looks at it (or you don't care what other people think, that works too) just build it how you guys are happy with it and call it a day.

If I end up doing my interior design and layout on my house (which is almost guaranteed), it's going to be pretty drat industrial/institutional. I'm OK with that, to hell with what anyone else thinks, stainless steel and plate glass everywhere! :v:

My wife and I both think industrial-looking stuff like poured concrete countertops and brushed stainless are loving awesome. If we re-do the kitchen in our next house, we are totally doing concrete counters.

edit: Yeah, that's the idea really. Make it functional for the two of us and both kids to stay there for 3-4 nights in a campground with power, water, and showers. We were looking at doing a teardrop style travel trailer, but I'm 6' tall and my wife is 6'1", so a low-profile teardrop wouldn't have worked for us.

She actually found this trailer through a Facebook group for women interested in travel trailers called Bitches with Hitches. We both had a laugh about that name.

bandman fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 7, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm split between stainless steel, concrete, soapstone, and granite. Probably doing cheap lovely melamine/laminate for now but building the cabinetry to handle the load of a stone top just in case I get a bug up my rear end about it once I have the money to upgrade. Knowing my luck, I'll be about a minute from buying crappy laminate countertops and a random friend I haven't heard from in 3 years will call me up and ask if I want 200 linear feet of stainless countertop being torn out of a restaurant he's working on or something, just gotta pick it up tonight.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Please post a thread when you get it bandman. I read loads of forums on campers, campervans, teardrops etc, I'd love to see an ai resident redo one.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Cakefool posted:

Please post a thread when you get it bandman. I read loads of forums on campers, campervans, teardrops etc, I'd love to see an ai resident redo one.

Will do on the thread. Our goal is going to be to have it back on the road in liveable shape by the end of next May, so hopefully there will be a "Thread Delivers!" moment before the next Ice Age.

I have already found something that will be an issue. The Scotty Hilander is about a foot too tall to fit through our garage door.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I realize I probably bitch about this every time I try to sell something but holy poo poo Craigslist is the reason I drink. I posted a bike for a pretty reasonable price and said it was negotiable, also specifically said "Do not text asking what bottom dollar is". 13 "what's ur bottom dollar/doller/$" since I posted, 4 since lunch today. Then some chuckle gently caress after texting back and forth and pretty much agreeing on a price expects me to deliver it to him three hours away for free.

Can't wait until I try to sell the 928 :suicide:

kastein posted:

I'm split between stainless steel, concrete, soapstone, and granite. Probably doing cheap lovely melamine/laminate for now but building the cabinetry to handle the load of a stone top just in case I get a bug up my rear end about it once I have the money to upgrade. Knowing my luck, I'll be about a minute from buying crappy laminate countertops and a random friend I haven't heard from in 3 years will call me up and ask if I want 200 linear feet of stainless countertop being torn out of a restaurant he's working on or something, just gotta pick it up tonight.
In which case you drive across the country fixing your vehicle as you go and have an epic tale to share with us. Of course once you get there you realize you can't haul that much but find a way.

bandman posted:

My wife found a 60s-vintage Sero Scotty camper for $700 that needs a good bit of work and fell in love with it.
Finally looked to see wtf a Sero Scotty was...those are awesome and you need to pick it up. I keep looking at old VW campers and old airstreams to fix to my liking but have too many projects going at the moment.

bandman posted:

I have already found something that will be an issue. The Scotty Hilander is about a foot too tall to fit through our garage door.
Renovation of camper and garage...perfect. Could you pull the wheels and put it on some heavy duty moving dollies? I've had to do that for a couple things before.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Girlfriend and I just had a fight about something that I had no control over and have tried to explain this to her repeatedly. Finally lost my temper and yelled "gently caress you!" into the phone before hanging up; just got a text saying she's done. Which wouldn't be so bad if, you know, we didn't have a kid together :suicide:

gently caress this week.

Monday I nearly went to jail/got my car impounded for apparently driving on a suspended license. Found out that some fines I had paid over 5 months ago got lost in a bureaucracy shuffle and somebody decided I should lose my license anyway. Spent all day yesterday at the DMV getting that bullshit sorted out, and they still charged me $150 to get my license back even though it was their fault to begin with.

gently caress the moon, gently caress squirrels, gently caress all this wood in here, gently caress me, gently caress you, gently caress everyone.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Terrible Robot posted:

Girlfriend and I just had a fight about something that I had no control over and have tried to explain this to her repeatedly. Finally lost my temper and yelled "gently caress you!" into the phone before hanging up; just got a text saying she's done. Which wouldn't be so bad if, you know, we didn't have a kid together :suicide:

gently caress this week.

Monday I nearly went to jail/got my car impounded for apparently driving on a suspended license. Found out that some fines I had paid over 5 months ago got lost in a bureaucracy shuffle and somebody decided I should lose my license anyway. Spent all day yesterday at the DMV getting that bullshit sorted out, and they still charged me $150 to get my license back even though it was their fault to begin with.

gently caress the moon, gently caress squirrels, gently caress all this wood in here, gently caress me, gently caress you, gently caress everyone.

Holy poo poo AI has had a bad E/N week. Tell her you're sorry.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

meatpimp posted:

Holy poo poo AI has had a bad E/N week. Tell her you're sorry.

If I thought saying sorry would help at all I would have called her back immediately to do so.

Don't ever date women with bipolar/borderline personality, and definitely don't ever loving get them pregnant. You cannot reason with her if she gets into a certain mood, anything you say is just going to make it worse. I am apparently a horrible person for wanting to go to my friends going away party on Sunday before he moved to Colorado because it was the anniversary of one of her brothers deaths. Of course she didn't mention any of this to me in the week or so leading up to the party, because I'm supposed to remember the date or some poo poo. I'm lucky to remember my own goddamn birthday let alone the day somebody I met maybe twice back in middle school died. Then she texts me out of the blue today saying that she'll be getting a ride to Richmond this weekend to see two of our mutual friends graduate from college, which we have been planning on doing for months together.

I'm so loving tired. Tired of the constant having to walk on eggshells because saying or doing the wrong thing or at the wrong time can mean a week or more of super passive-aggressive bullshit on her part while I just try and figure out what the hell I supposedly hosed up this time and how to fix it. Only to have months old stuff thrown in my face whenever she gets pissy. gently caress life.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 7, 2014

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Yeah, death anniversaries (and people that "celebrate" them) are weird things...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Terrible Robot posted:

Girlfriend and I just had a fight about something that I had no control over and have tried to explain this to her repeatedly.

meatpimp posted:

Tell her you're sorry.
poo poo like this (not you, meatpimp, the fact that this is how it is) is just depressing.

Terrible Robot posted:

If I thought saying sorry would help at all I would have called her back immediately to do so.

Don't ever date women with bipolar/borderline personality, and definitely don't ever loving get them pregnant. You cannot reason with her if she gets into a certain mood, anything you say is just going to make it worse. I am apparently a horrible person for wanting to go to my friends going away party on Sunday before he moved to Colorado because it was the anniversary of one of her brothers deaths. Of course she didn't mention any of this to me in the week or so leading up to the party, because I'm supposed to remember the date or some poo poo. I'm lucky to remember my own goddamn birthday let alone the day somebody I met maybe twice back in middle school died.

I'm so tired.
Kind of guessed something like this was coming.

Have a sleep on it. Go see a good friend and talk to them about it. Don't drink too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My girlfriend's mother died in August and I'll be damned if I could tell you the correct day.

• Locked thread