Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

NullDragon posted:

You get Some of the best armor in the game early on, and a really good shield. Easy to kill with phantoms by using the ballista.

That's not killing him early

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

NullDragon posted:

You get Some of the best armor in the game early on, and a really good shield. Easy to kill with phantoms by using the ballista.

Killing him early means no ballistas. I think you get his ring if you kill him early. Not really worth it unless you want to be a bad rear end.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Party Alarm posted:

Acid Surge is great for making people mad, breaking third dragon rings, and hiding your actions. Acid surge -> drakewing greatsword R2 on the bridge arena is fun. Could be used with dual avelyns for fun I bet

I don't mind losing duels, but attacking my wallet by breaking my equipment should brand you a target for the Blue Sentinels.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
You get nothing extra for beating him early

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's not like the Pursuer is actually hard once you learn to roll. The early fight has more area to dodge in and less clutter.

Kiran
Jul 4, 2013

NullDragon posted:

Easy to kill without phantoms using the ballista. Parry, ballista, fire bomb, fight is over in like 10 seconds.

But I think he means before that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Party Alarm posted:

Acid Surge is great for making people mad, breaking third dragon rings, and hiding your actions. Acid surge -> drakewing greatsword R2 on the bridge arena is fun. Could be used with dual avelyns for fun I bet

Some ratbro tried to throw corrosive urns at me. That poo poo is wrong and should be reserved for assholes who don't PVP right.

Like ratbros who throw corrosive urns (I killed him regular style):getin:

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!
Had my first DaS PvP experience today. Never did any PVP in the first one, due to GFWL being lovely enough that I just stayed offline, and so far I've just done some Sunbroing in this one. Anyways, it happened when I entered the Grave of Saints for the first time. Walked in to the firs circular room, smacked a couple of rats and promptly got summoned by a ratbro. At first I didn't really feel like fighting him, so I decided to just hang around at the beginning and wait for him to come and kill me. Then I decided that I wanted to fight him anyways, but still decided to wait for him to come to me. He came rolling in with a halberd and a shield, I had the Craftsman's Hammer and a towershield. We then had a glorious fight. By glorious I mean that he had to run away and chug estus flasks all the time. Then he two-handed his halberd and did overhead attacks. My stamina always recovered just in time for me to block his next swing. That went on for a while, before he realized that it wasn't going to work. I then chased him around the room, swinging my hammer at him before he rolled away to chug a flask. I think he had used five or six by the time I finished him. I had used one. He seemed to be pretty terrible though, so I'm not going to get carried away thinking I'm some DS PvP savant.

A question though; Every time I hit him, he had his shield up, but one hit to his shield was always enough to put him into a stagger animation that allowed me to land another hit, but he'd always manage to roll away before I could land a third. Was I poise breaking him or just draining his stamina?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Okay. Note to self. don't lock onto ancient dragon.

Round three!

E: And third time was the charm! Barely made it though. Even with Gower's and the +2 knuckle ring the Gower's broke literally on the last fire breath. I think it caught a few stops too, which I was grateful for, 'cause he stomped me (and I survived) just as I mace frenzied the last of his health off.

Also definitely a boss easier without summons.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 7, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Scherloch posted:

Had my first DaS PvP experience today. Never did any PVP in the first one, due to GFWL being lovely enough that I just stayed offline, and so far I've just done some Sunbroing in this one. Anyways, it happened when I entered the Grave of Saints for the first time. Walked in to the firs circular room, smacked a couple of rats and promptly got summoned by a ratbro. At first I didn't really feel like fighting him, so I decided to just hang around at the beginning and wait for him to come and kill me. Then I decided that I wanted to fight him anyways, but still decided to wait for him to come to me. He came rolling in with a halberd and a shield, I had the Craftsman's Hammer and a towershield. We then had a glorious fight. By glorious I mean that he had to run away and chug estus flasks all the time. Then he two-handed his halberd and did overhead attacks. My stamina always recovered just in time for me to block his next swing. That went on for a while, before he realized that it wasn't going to work. I then chased him around the room, swinging my hammer at him before he rolled away to chug a flask. I think he had used five or six by the time I finished him. I had used one. He seemed to be pretty terrible though, so I'm not going to get carried away thinking I'm some DS PvP savant.

A question though; Every time I hit him, he had his shield up, but one hit to his shield was always enough to put him into a stagger animation that allowed me to land another hit, but he'd always manage to roll away before I could land a third. Was I poise breaking him or just draining his stamina?

I think if you poise break you should be able to do the riposte attack

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
Prism stones are lovely.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Bellbroing as the epitome of "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee" is loving hilarious. I outfitted my dude in full butterfly raiment with poison infused caestuses (as well as normal caestuses for once the opponent is poisoned) and it's amazing. People aren't equipped to handle poison at that point (and I'm wearing the ratbro ring for extra poison), and the poise breaking from the caestus means that applying multiple hits is trivial. I had a string of really fun invasions tonight, with some people keeling over after they killed me, some people killing me outright, and the majority dying horribly from poison while trying desperately to run away from a pretty butterfly.

It's nice though, I'm learning a ton about how to dodge hits properly, how to land hits properly, how to exploit poise breaking properly, when to trade hits, etc. I also had a few sweet moments of knocking aside some poor bastard's shield and performing an appendectomy. My only issue is that actually activating the shield knocking attack is really finicky and I fail to pull it off around a third of the time.

Shabooty
Apr 29, 2013
is the composite bow still the quickest to fire?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Santiers spear is loving baller.

Got invaded by a funpoliceman when I finally cracked the stone and I annihilated him with it.

Last thing he saw was my grinning dragon helmet

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Looks like I've found a bit of a bug. In Belfry Sol, there's a really tiny spot in which you can be invaded by Bell bros that is beyond the fog door. A little past the doorway you're still considered "in bounds" of the arena area. The best way to find this is by being in the bell covenant, wearing the bell ring, and inching forward until the covenant symbol pulses, indicating you're within summoning range. When you're there, you can apparently also be invaded.

I guess it's kinda funny because they'll never find you. I even hurt a guy through the fog wall once.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Chomp8645 posted:

Tonight I headed into the Brightstone Coves with 30 cracked red eye orbs in my pocket. The results: 29 kills, 1 death (shameful display). Here is a highlight video for you all! Stick around to the end of it if you want see how to take on a host and two summons with style (and no monster assistance).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMV_Psjk1dE

I'll make another run sometime soon. Got 50 shiny new orbs from the arena.

Lol gross, a wizard pretending to be good.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Okay, I just stumbled upon how to get a reticle with a bow/crossbow, which finally made the Shrine of Amana clearable. Some people have been telling me to aim with L1, which I thought made no sense because that's what I had been doing the entire time (I keep my bow in the left hand, so L1 is fire and R1 is aim). Would've been nice if there had been a tutorial or something to explain that part :shepface:

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Elysiume posted:

Is there any benefit to killing the first Pursuer early?

The ring is pretty solid for any melee character while the drangleic gear is rocking with stats. But the shield especially since its the earliest 100% phys block shield for a long while which is kinda silly. Although no real rush to bash your ahead against the pursuer right after the last giant really.

edit: Oh that kinda "early" :downs:, the only benefit I think is that assisting phantoms get the full soul value instead of a portion when theres a boss health bar I think.

Drakes fucked around with this message at 09:17 on May 7, 2014

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
One thing I've learned sunbroing the Skeleton Lords is don't equip the red-eye ring. You might think it will help a bad host survive the bonewheel rush, but it only makes things harder when you could have just killed the skeletons as they spawned instead of dodging attacks from the bosses (who also target you with their ranged attack much further away.)

The caestus are so good on that fight. I can quickly 2 shot all the spawning skeletons with a powerstance light attack even when the host brings in 2 summons. If there is one thing that gives people trouble on the Skeleton Lords, it's that usually players need 2 hits with their weapon to kill the skeleton spawns. That requires significant stamina for each skeleton so they can find themselves overwhelmed. The caestus attacks use almost no stamina, so I can clear the skeletons as they spawn which completely trivializes the only vaguely challenging part of the bossfight.

I'm done sunbroing for one of the easiest bosses. I was having more fun getting unsummoned for killing too many mobs on the way to a boss anyways. I want to see hosts die again, preferably after I exit the fogwall. :v:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Drakes posted:

The ring is pretty solid for any melee character while the drangleic gear is rocking with stats. But the shield especially since its the earlier 100% phys block shield for a long while which is kinda silly. Although no real rush to bash your ahead against the pursuer right after the last giant really.
To address this and the other responses, I specifically meant when he's air-dropped by a bird onto the raised area. Seems like it doesn't give any benefits other than a larger zone if you don't want to use the ballistae.

Drakes posted:

edit: Oh that kinda "early" :downs:, the only benefit I think is that assisting phantoms get the full soul value instead of a portion when theres a boss health bar I think.
Yeah, the early-early. They may get full souls, but they don't get their duty fulfilled, which is a bummer.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

404notfound posted:

Okay, I just stumbled upon how to get a reticle with a bow/crossbow, which finally made the Shrine of Amana clearable. Some people have been telling me to aim with L1, which I thought made no sense because that's what I had been doing the entire time (I keep my bow in the left hand, so L1 is fire and R1 is aim). Would've been nice if there had been a tutorial or something to explain that part :shepface:

Yeah they probably should have added some different weapons for the cave tutes

Molrok
May 30, 2011

Anyone else had the Abyss Seal hex buff break if you summon shades/phantoms?

Noticed it broke for me when going through Shrine of Anima, Dark Orb damage drops from 550 to 459 whenever I summon Felicia / players.
Without the ring Dark Orb hits for 459.

It also breaks the buff whenever I'm summoned, no damage boost but still does the health drain. :shepface:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
The quest to find what sets off the VAC continues. I wanted to try getting summoned by the Looking Glass Knight and standing to his right with a huge shield, so I had to raise my SM from 500K to about 800K. I didn't really feel like searching for the SM variable again...

...so I just used some of the Giant Souls I happened to have kicking around. What can I say, I've NG+ the Black Gulch a bunch of time.

I never got summoned by the Looking Glass knight, which was a disappointment, but I did get summoned by a bunch of players outside the door--mostly by teams of three, looking for phantoms trying to get summoned by the knight. While I don't respect teams of three looking to gang up on single players, they don't automatically deserve to get Havel'd to death.

So I had a system--if they took damage from a crossbow attack, they weren't cheating (much) and I would immediately black separation crystal out.

And if they were invincible, I'd lure them over to the elevator and kill the poo poo out of them with a shield slam. Enjoy your trip, see you next fall!

Zorak, who was invincible, was worth more than a half million souls by herself! If I hadn't been cheating, managing to drop her dumbass hacking self off an elevator would have been the worst thing to happen to me all game. But fortunately I am just as big a cheater, so defeating her wasn't demonstrably a bad idea.

I also gave being the perfect tank a shot. Turns out I can just tape down the LB button and let the host do the rest. Just like main tanking raids in World of Warcraft!

Current status: The Man has yet to catch me. Clearly he never will! Cheating continues to prosper. Also I am having trouble thinking of amusing ways to break the rules without doing things that would make me sick to my stomach.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
FOG DOOR 360 NO SCOPE

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mystic Mongol posted:

I also gave being the perfect tank a shot. Turns out I can just tape down the LB button and let the host do the rest. Just like main tanking raids in World of Warcraft!

Yep, tanking for nerds owns. Some dont know what you're doing and I assume think you're being a lazy oval office, but thats only PARTIALLY true and you're actually saving their lives!

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The Crusher posted:

FOG DOOR 360 NO SCOPE

I don't care for Souls PVP, but I really, really want to see a gif of somebody doing a 360 shield slam to get a kill.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Dandywalken posted:

Yep, tanking for nerds owns. Some dont know what you're doing and I assume think you're being a lazy oval office, but thats only PARTIALLY true and you're actually saving their lives!

King Kindling, in addition to having a rad name, caught on pretty quick and spent the entire fight on the opposite side of the knight. It was actually pretty hard to find a screenshot in which he appeared.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

404notfound posted:

I don't care for Souls PVP, but I really, really want to see a gif of somebody doing a 360 shield slam to get a kill.

I want to dual wield Havel's or those shield hollow shields.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
Still no word on the VAC ban bug...really unimpressed with how they've handled this.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'm incredibly tempted to just reduce my soul memory to the equivalent of SL 150. Like, I don't even care about the stats - I'll reset myself to 150 even. But goddamn, SM can get stupid when your only interest is to help people through jolly cooperation.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Azran posted:

I'm incredibly tempted to just reduce my soul memory to the equivalent of SL 150. Like, I don't even care about the stats - I'll reset myself to 150 even. But goddamn, SM can get stupid when your only interest is to help people through jolly cooperation.

Yeah, it's kind of amusing that bellbroing and sunbroing are much more fun at lowish SMs, so the SM thing really feels kind of dumb :(

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
So, it's no secret that I like turning myself into a pot when I summon a guy to duel me. Turns out, the Dragonbro that I summoned had Chameleon too and turn himself into a pot. We then potted around and went off the side of the bridge in Iron Keep and landed on the rock that isn't on fire. We potted a bit there when all of a sudden he decided to dive into the lava.

I had to do the right thing. I dove in after him.

I love that some players have a sense of humor.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
So if you plan on PvP'ing is there any reason not to go faith? If pvp happens at levels 120-150 as the data says I cant see a reason to not pump all those unneeded levels into it.

It seems to rule the world;
Great magic Barrier
Sunlight Blade/Resonant weapon
Offensive tricks like pyromancy, emit force and hexes

And of course, resistances to all of those. It seems like the nuclear weapon skill of darksouls 2.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Jamfrost posted:

So, it's no secret that I like turning myself into a pot when I summon a guy to duel me. Turns out, the Dragonbro that I summoned had Chameleon too and turn himself into a pot. We then potted around and went off the side of the bridge in Iron Keep and landed on the rock that isn't on fire. We potted a bit there when all of a sudden he decided to dive into the lava.

I had to do the right thing. I dove in after him.

I love that some players have a sense of humor.

Newbie mistakes all over this post. You obviously recast until you get the bull's head and then start ramming each other.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I was looking in the wrong Belfry this entire time. :doh:

Reached Belfry Luna and was invaded faster than I could skip through the dialogue and join the drat covenant, had to kill both invaders before it would let me join. I could have used those titanite chunks too. :( Thanks to high ADP and them being scaredy cats they gave me just enough room to heal and dodge away. Also throwing knives.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Azran posted:

It would be really good if co-op still used soul level or something

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I know Dark Souls 1 went through a lot of patches and DkS2 has only gotten like three in total, but I really hope they change it up a bit.

Sanctum posted:

I was looking in the wrong Belfry this entire time. :doh:

Reached Belfry Luna and was invaded faster than I could skip through the dialogue and join the drat covenant, had to kill both invaders before it would let me join. I could have used those titanite chunks too. :( Thanks to high ADP and them being scaredy cats they gave me just enough room to heal and dodge away. Also throwing knives.

You get chunks for invading and killing hosts, not phantoms. :v:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I have to say it's weird that you can get a titanite slab using a Pharros' Lockstone on the way to the Last Giant before you even find enough large titanite to +6 a weapon, much less a single titanite chunk.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I did it. I beat the game without using a bonfire or dying. It was terrible and most of my equipment is broken Behold your new shitlord, Rectalmancer! Now to go PVP some shits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Nuebot posted:

I did it. I beat the game without using a bonfire or dying. It was terrible and most of my equipment is broken Behold your new shitlord, Rectalmancer! Now to go PVP some shits.

Any advice for someone attempting a run?