Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Elysiume posted:

I have to say it's weird that you can get a titanite slab using a Pharros' Lockstone on the way to the Last Giant before you even find enough large titanite to +6 a weapon, much less a single titanite chunk.

You can acetic that area to get chunks though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Prepare to hate yourself and learn the boss patterns really well. If your run winds up like mine you'll be swapping equipment out on the fly a lot in the middle of a battle. Also avoid risks. Pick a path and stick to it, treasure is for suckers so are unnecessary fights.

In all honesty I cheesed a lot of things with a bow. So poison arrows became my best friends.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Azran posted:

I know Dark Souls 1 went through a lot of patches and DkS2 has only gotten like three in total, but I really hope they change it up a bit.

You get chunks for invading and killing hosts, not phantoms. :v:
They get to fight me 2 on 1 and I get nothing for beating them? :sigh:

I'm really liking how removing the ability to heal from invaders has changed non-consensual PVP over Dark Souls. As a host, I don't have to stay near them to prevent them from popping humanity which totally changes how I go about the fight. The first guy immediately came for me, we had a brief exchange and I took a little damage but got him to half health. He moved away a bit too much, I suppose waiting for his buddy to show up, which let me heal. The whole fight felt different when they had to be deathly afraid of taking damage, I basically used throwing knives to zone them away and deal some chip dmg while creating room for me to heal. Also I appreciate that Belfry Luna isn't a giant open space that lends itself to magic shitlords and haphazardly swinging greatsword users; the combination that was the ire of my time spent dying in Belfry Sol while productively looking for the gargoyles by ringing the same bell repeatedly.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

It's pretty simple. You only need a small baseline of strength/dex because you're using simple weapons. After that just start pumping intelligence and make gradual increases to vigor/endurance along the way. Increase attunement as you find useful spells, I don't think it's worth it for cast speed alone.

Those are my current stats. And if I wasn't lazy I could have soul vesseled away the points I put into faith because I haven't ended up using them at all (I was originally going to use hexes but fell in love with sorcery). Ideally I would also have a better staff by now but I don't like farming and this is more than enough for me to own people left and right as it is anyway. Also you don't have to start as a sorceror if you don't want to because the basic staff can be found in an illusory wall inside the first "Pate Treasure" encounter.

The truest of sorcerers, or maybe the most anal, no single digits, nope nope.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Nuebot posted:

Prepare to hate yourself and learn the boss patterns really well. If your run winds up like mine you'll be swapping equipment out on the fly a lot in the middle of a battle. Also avoid risks. Pick a path and stick to it, treasure is for suckers so are unnecessary fights.

In all honesty I cheesed a lot of things with a bow. So poison arrows became my best friends.

Did you poison bosses or just melee with hammers?

Was that mask the only thing you wore?

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
So scraps of life is basically a sweeter version of firestorm that doesn't keep you rooted for the entire duration. I also love using it to send people sailing off the Blood bro duel bridge.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Alan Smithee posted:

Did you poison bosses or just melee with hammers?

Was that mask the only thing you wore?

Depends on the boss. I fought the demon of song or whatever pretty much exclusively with arrows because screw getting close to that thing. I used a lot of hammers too, yeah. But I'd go through pretty much my whole inventory of weapons between visits to majula and such. The worst part of the whole run was beating the undead crypt without triggering a bonfire because having to walk back out of that place and the shrine of amana would have sucked. Oh another thing: I pretty much entirely used hammers for bosses because they were good at stunlocking the bosses. I liked being able to know when I'd stun a boss so I could interrupt any hard to dodge attack.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Assuming you have a stable supply of ascetics, there is - in theory - no limit to the amount of times you can force a boss to respawn, right?

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

poptart_fairy posted:

Assuming you have a stable supply of ascetics, there is - in theory - no limit to the amount of times you can force a boss to respawn, right?

correct, but after the 10th time the boss gets no stronger.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Azran posted:

I'm incredibly tempted to just reduce my soul memory to the equivalent of SL 150. Like, I don't even care about the stats - I'll reset myself to 150 even. But goddamn, SM can get stupid when your only interest is to help people through jolly cooperation.

My problem is similar, I'm Sl105 or so, I just got the 4 great souls and unlocked the gates, but I'm also loving terrible so I end up clearing just about every area until they despawn. I'm SM 1.25m and I have no human effigy's, and I also can't reset my health bar because I literally put a summon sign down in front of Iron King for 20 minutes, Smelter Demon for 15 and Freja for 25 and never got summoned once. My only guess is that my SM is way to high, which seems to be backed up by this thread.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Yep. There's a counter for bonfire intensity that caps at 99, but you can continue to use ascetics after that.

The Gorp posted:

Doesn't the increase in enemy strength stop at bonfire intensity 8?

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 11:41 on May 7, 2014

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

The Gorp posted:

I heard it was seventh?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Cool, thanks guys. :)

I'm just munching souls down at the moment as I have zero desire for any of the boss weapons, BUT WHAT IF THAT CHANGES.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Maybe the max is 7 or 8, all i remember is that if you get to NG+ 10 on any bonfire it turns blue on the map in the mansion.
I assumed 10 was the max by that logic.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

If I've leveled up to 50 FTH, is it worth it for me to bother getting enough INT for Hexes? Hexes look baller as hell to be honest but my ADP is still terrible.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Vanderdeath posted:

If I've leveled up to 50 FTH, is it worth it for me to bother getting enough INT for Hexes? Hexes look baller as hell to be honest but my ADP is still terrible.

Agility is what matters, which should be increased by attunement.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I levelled faith to be able to use Hexes even though I'm mainly using sorceries, do I need to keep levelling my faith to increase their damage? Its at 22 at the minute. Just wondering if I'll end up using miracles as well or if I'll not have enough attunement slots. This isn't really for pvp though

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

And now you read this in a seally Svedisch accent Jå?
So what happens if the invader dies before he zones back to his own world after killing the host? I ask because this is like the third time in a row I've been invaded and failed to survive that cruical second before my foe succumbs to poison. I know that I don't get jack poo poo but my question is basically, do they?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No. It's the same system as Dark Souls 1: If one dies and the other survives, the survivor gets the reward. If one dies and then the other also dies before the connection is lost, neither gets a reward. DS2 takes it a step further as a matter of fact by bringing that into PVE: You can no longer suicide charge bosses because if you die as they're dying, you won't get the reward and you'll have to fight them again.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
So, the second boss took me about 50 tries before I found out you just needed to precision-roll to the right to avoid all his attacks. And the new area looks like it's going to be an absolutely terrible linear slog and it's sucking my will to continue playing this game. Do things get any better or should I just re-instal Dark Souls 1 and replay that instead?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Office Thug posted:

So, the second boss took me about 50 tries before I found out you just needed to precision-roll to the right to avoid all his attacks. And the new area looks like it's going to be an absolutely terrible linear slog and it's sucking my will to continue playing this game. Do things get any better or should I just re-instal Dark Souls 1 and replay that instead?

You're being very vague. I have no idea what boss you're talking about or what area you're in right now.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

CJacobs posted:

No. It's the same system as Dark Souls 1: If one dies and the other survives, the survivor gets the reward. If one dies and then the other also dies before the connection is lost, neither gets a reward. DS2 takes it a step further as a matter of fact by bringing that into PVE: You can no longer suicide charge bosses because if you die as they're dying, you won't get the reward and you'll have to fight them again.

Not sure what you mean by "connection is lost" here but you can totally die after killing the host and still get the reward when invading. Hell, when bellbroing I've often slipped off the bridge with the same swing that killed the host and still gotten that chunck

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Office Thug posted:

The game is pretty drat non-linear, especially early on. There's a good chance that that "second boss" you were talking about was actually an optional one.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Jamfrost posted:

You're being very vague. I have no idea what boss you're talking about or what area you're in right now.

The Pursuer, and I'm in Lost Bastille, had to look up the name.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Office Thug posted:

If you don't want to do the Lost Bastille now you could try heading back to Majula and looking for another area: Heide's Tower of Flame.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Office Thug posted:

I went that way and its a lot harder than if you go back and go through the heide's tower

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
So I'm cooping at Smelty D to test out toxic mist on him (it takes a couple casts to stick but it wrecks him but good). The host summons Lucatiel, which is pretty common, and heads into the fog door. I'm sort of standing in Lucatiel's way casting flash sweat on myself and she just up and marches right off the edge into the lava. We won anyway, but I imagine the host was unpleasantly surprised to see "Phantom Lucatiel of Mirrah vanquished" before she even gets into the fight.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jose posted:

I went that way and its a lot harder than if you go back and go through the tower of heide's

I found it handy to go to the Bastille for a bit (enough to unlock a couple of bonfires), and then to double back.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Sigh. Any other eurogoons having trouble with the game servers? I tried to summon somebody for Ruin Sentinels. Neither of them have been summoned and only one gave a time out message. And now the game won't let me quit for a restart because it thinks I've a phantom running around.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I found it handy to go to the Bastille for a bit (enough to unlock a couple of bonfires), and then to double back.

I wish I'd realised before using co-op to defeat the boss and then the same for the boss of Sinner's rise because I would have stopped at the second bonfire and gone back and might have been able to do them solo when getting there again

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

PublicOpinion posted:

So I'm cooping at Smelty D to test out toxic mist on him (it takes a couple casts to stick but it wrecks him but good). The host summons Lucatiel, which is pretty common, and heads into the fog door. I'm sort of standing in Lucatiel's way casting flash sweat on myself and she just up and marches right off the edge into the lava. We won anyway, but I imagine the host was unpleasantly surprised to see "Phantom Lucatiel of Mirrah vanquished" before she even gets into the fight.

That's pretty much the only thing in the game you can use for toxic right

Office Thug posted:

Make sure your agility is high enough to dodge, rolling is a pain if you have none

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Office Thug posted:

Its your own fault for not exploring enough.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The huge mummy guys and dogs aren't a big deal there, but the hollows with the giant swords are brick walls. I'm pure melee and can't deal with them at all when there's more than one at a time. It's good to know that this isn't necessarily the next area after the Forest because it had me completely stumped.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

ulvir posted:

Sigh. Any other eurogoons having trouble with the game servers? I tried to summon somebody for Ruin Sentinels. Neither of them have been summoned and only one gave a time out message. And now the game won't let me quit for a restart because it thinks I've a phantom running around.

Try unsummoning the phantom.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Office Thug posted:

The huge mummy guys and dogs aren't a big deal there, but the hollows with the giant swords are brick walls. I'm pure melee and can't deal with them at all when there's more than one at a time. It's good to know that this isn't necessarily the next area after the Forest because it had me completely stumped.

Firebombs. Kukuku. Wide swinging and downward chopping weapons work well too. Think greatswords or polearms. Also, you can break their AI a bit if you roll/ jump to the platform below outside because one or two of them will mess up and fall into the gap.

Edit: Argh! I thought someone would have posted already. My apologies.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Jamfrost posted:

Try unsummoning the phantom.

The signs disappeared and black separation crystal wouldn't let me use itself. Alt+F4 worked though, so here's hoping I didn't rack up any sin

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Office Thug posted:

If you haven't done Heide's Tower do that first. Bastille is actually notorious for a lot of new players if you haven't gotten used to your build.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Alan Smithee posted:

That's pretty much the only thing in the game you can use for toxic right

As far as I know. I don't think there's any weapons that inflict it like DS1 had.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Office Thug posted:

Use a Shotsword since it has a stabby motion, bam no more problem with hitting the wall.

Yes, use multiple weapons for situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

ulvir posted:

The signs disappeared and black separation crystal wouldn't let me use itself. Alt+F4 worked though, so here's hoping I didn't rack up any sin

If you still see signs, then all is well, I think. Disconnecting multiple times when you're invaded though is when the Bone of Order needs to be used.