Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Honestly the Strange Journey method sounds way, way less tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

Honestly the Strange Journey method sounds way, way less tedious.

It's really not! In the modern EO games you "map" things if you walk on top of them anyway, I never actually map the floor. You have the option to see something in the distance and map it if you want though, instead of doing things like walking on an obviously damaging tile.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Speaking of EO, I've been thinking about getting Untold. I've never played an EO game before and I'm wondering if it's worth it to play through the story mode.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Butt Ghost posted:

Speaking of EO, I've been thinking about getting Untold. I've never played an EO game before and I'm wondering if it's worth it to play through the story mode.

It's a pretty good introduction to the mechanics and concepts but is fairly hand-holdy.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It's really not! In the modern EO games you "map" things if you walk on top of them anyway, I never actually map the floor. You have the option to see something in the distance and map it if you want though, instead of doing things like walking on an obviously damaging tile.

This, pretty much. Instead of taking a couple seconds to scope out a room and then quickly filling in sections of wall with a single stroke (or floor, if you want), you have to move over every. single. tile if you want a complete map. I've played both Strange Journey and Etrian Odyssey (the 3DS ones), and I've found that Etrian Odyssey's mapping system is much, much nicer than Strange Journey's. Especially since you can put footnotes on the map. Not to mention automapping (including walls in Untold, I think) is a thing now in the Etrian Odyssey series, so even if you aren't interested in drawing your own map the system is undeniably better.

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 7, 2014

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

They already did Etrian Odyssey Engine + SMT. It was Strange Journey.

I haven't played Strange Journey. Can you make annotations on the map and mark out where tiles do special things or where teleporting tiles send you? I mean the hand-mapping element is the most important part of what I'm saying. I've been playing SMT 1 on iOS and that game maps things out for you but you don't map it out yourself so it's not really the same thing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

No there's no annotations or anything and you just have to remember where a teleporter takes you.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

RedRupee posted:

I haven't played Strange Journey. Can you make annotations on the map and mark out where tiles do special things or where teleporting tiles send you? I mean the hand-mapping element is the most important part of what I'm saying. I've been playing SMT 1 on iOS and that game maps things out for you but you don't map it out yourself so it's not really the same thing.

Sometime around Sector C you say "there is no possible way I'm putting up with this" and look up maps for every dungeon for the rest of the game

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I did that at dungeon H and stopped playing. I think Strange Journey was the first game I played where I finally asked myself the question "Is every video game really worth finishing?" And then I said no and never looked back, gently caress Strange Journey.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

Sometime around Sector C you say "there is no possible way I'm putting up with this" and look up maps for every dungeon for the rest of the game

I heard about that; at least the dungeon fatigue thing. I got mega dungeon fatigue in the optional dungeon of EO4 with the tiles that warp you out of the room. Not really on topic anymore… I'm playing Devil Survivor Overclocked. That game's alright for an SRPG.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

RedRupee posted:

I heard about that; at least the dungeon fatigue thing. I got mega dungeon fatigue in the optional dungeon of EO4 with the tiles that warp you out of the room. Not really on topic anymore… I'm playing Devil Survivor Overclocked. That game's alright for an SRPG.

I actually beat EO4 then came back to the optional dungeon months later, so I was ready to basically get destroyed. Those rooms have a trick though - the damage floors in the previous room are the "correct" path in the next room to not get warped out.

The problem is that in EO4 that is the optional endgame dungeon and in Strange Journey they basically think "This is how you make interesting dungeons!" And start pulling things like that less than halfway into the game, with a series of rooms that

1) Can't be mapped
2) Are dark so you can't see where you are going
3) HAVE CONVEYOR BELTS making those last 2 so much worse

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Strange Journey

Yeah, not even Action Replay made this poo poo bearable after Eridanus. My time has value.

At least it wasn't Atlus' "A" team responsible.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

I actually beat EO4 then came back to the optional dungeon months later, so I was ready to basically get destroyed. Those rooms have a trick though - the damage floors in the previous room are the "correct" path in the next room to not get warped out.

Holy crap I feel so dumb. I mapped out all the damaging tiles that I got to. The dark room that made me give up was the third one I think (it's after the point where you can see Trigourds but not actually past that room). I don't remember a damaging room prior to the dark room I was up to but I wouldn't be surprised since it's been about 6 months of no longer playing.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Hace posted:

Iunno, game looks alright to me.

What kind of witchcraft demon power did you use to make it look like that? Mine looks like the first picture posted but without the horrible stretching.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

PCSX2, probably.

Without seeing shadows I can't be sure, and if Hace wants to get them right, as far as I know that's still software rendering, which lands them in 512x448i land like everyone else.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Strange Journey is awesome, all of you suck. :colbert:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'd call it "approaching awesome".

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

MarsDragon posted:

This is true.

Also, P3 FES is tons better than P4. Yeah, I said it.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Krad posted:

This is true.

All those times Mitsuru cast Marin Karin instead of Media when I was at low health begs to differ.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Sir Unimaginative posted:

PCSX2, probably.

:ssh:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Krad posted:

This is true.

Please don't bring another fight about Persona 3/4 into this thread. :ohdear:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

All those times Mitsuru cast Marin Karin instead of Media when I was at low health begs to differ.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the complaint but it rarely happened to me, thankfully.

That's cheating. :mad:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

Please don't bring another fight about Persona 3/4 into this thread. :ohdear:

Lest the old guard bring up the franchise's decay into a glorified anime dating sim* and mascot molestation.

I wish P2 had a more interesting battle system, though.

*which I enjoyed

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

MarsDragon posted:

I agree with this, it was a fun game. The teleporter maze was a lot easier than people made it out to be, too.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Strange Journey is like climbing a mountain. It may kill you and at the end all you get is a nice view, but the accomplishment in and of itself makes you a better person as a result.

But then when you get to the top of the mountain there is another mountain and it is made of chainsaws roaring and they cut you as you climb and you must climb because the mountain you started climbing is collapsing and you go higher an dhigher unitl you're shredded to bits and all that reaches the summit is a bloody little speck of a man that was once you, and a single lidless eye stares up at the sun high above the clouds and quivers in the face of the all mighty.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's a really tedious game with a bunch of archaic game design choices that would fit better in the early 90s than a late 2000s JRPG. Also I hated most of the music.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I liked the Red Stripe's crew a lot.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

TurnipFritter posted:

Strange Journey's supporting cast is absolutely stellar. SMT games often have a really good and largely unremarked upon cast of interesting NPCs that have their own story arcs alongside the main crew, but SJ really knocks it out of the park with theirs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

Sprite!

Was Jack's Squad anything more than a cameo in SMT IV?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
How can someone not like "Arthur C. Clarke presents: SMT IV....ish"? I do not comprehend.

SJ's difficulty also made me not even think twice about picking Hard mode when I played Nocturne for the first time. I died on the second random encounter.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Rinkles posted:

Sprite!

It was just a cameo. The military was using D.E.M.O.N.I.C.A. suits as standard power armor during the war, and it just happened to be the case that the arm-mounted COM they were using could support the Demon Summoning Program.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Rinkles posted:

Sprite!

I make that mistake every time I type the name.

Seriously though, for a bunch of no-portrait npcs, they were really compelling. One of the only reasons I kept powering through the last part of the game (and it was a slog let me tell you) was to make sure they got home safe.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Orgia Carnaval posted:

It's a really tedious game with a bunch of archaic game design choices that would fit better in the early 90s than a late 2000s JRPG. Also I hated most of the music.

How could you not enjoy the chorus of the Frost family?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Strange Journey started off okay for me, then got progressively more frustrating, and by the end I just looked up an efficient way to grind, summoned a password demon with Big Bang/Jihad and Victory Cry, and one-shot my way through the final dungeon to get it over with so I could start SMTIV.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It's the Return of the King of video games. At more than a few points I thought (and hoped) the game was at an end.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I just bought SMTIV. Any DLC I should grab/avoid?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Speaking of all this Strange Journey talk I just got a complete copy with the soundtrack on Ebay for 18 bucks. All the other ones I'm finding range from 50 - 80.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Unmature posted:

Speaking of all this Strange Journey talk I just got a complete copy with the soundtrack on Ebay for 18 bucks. All the other ones I'm finding range from 50 - 80.

Is that the one that was bundled with the game? The initial batch came with a CD that was formatted as a CD-ROM or came with mp3s and couldn't be played as a regular audio CD (still fine for ripping). I never got a replacement, which they sent out to anyone that asked because they had no way to verify purchases.

Don't know who'd pay upwards of $50 for either disc, though (assuming it's not a more complete release).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Can't say it better than the SMTIV thread itself:

SMTIV Thread posted:

Is the DLC worth it?
The DLC equipment is generally not worth it, especially the weaker equipment. The story/uberboss quests are very short, but are fun and you get some great demons and skills out of them. Plus they flesh out some bits of the story that go otherwise unexplained. If you're not going to do the Neutral path, don't bother with the final DLC unless you just want to fight the boss as you won't be able to cash in the reward. Also initial reports seem to indicate the final DLC is unwinnable without rewards gained from previous DLC packs.

The value of the level and money grinding DLC depends on your self-control. If abused, it can utterly destroy the game balance. Used in moderation--such as to max out demons 10+ levels below yours so you can complete your Compendium, or to give your funds a quick boost so you can rearrange your party for a tough boss fight--it can save a lot of time and tedium. There's pretty much no use for the Application grinding DLC except to break the game, though you do get a nice demon with some nifty skills you can't get anywhere else from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Syrg Sapphire posted:

All of the boss DLC is endgame stuff and the armor DLC is pretty worthless. The exp and macca grinding DLC can be useful late game for building the perfect demons and aren't very game breaking when used in moderation, but the app DLC just breaks the game.