Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Wow, I can't believe I actually got this one right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Humanoid Female posted:

You can't even tell that thing is an unusually short walking stick instead of one of those umbrellas that folds up small.

Well, even that is actually sort of a clue. He lives alone, so having two umbrellas would be kind of weird. I thought that was it was until I read the answer.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

RevKrule posted:

And my point is proven! That smarmy rear end in a top hat overheard them talking and now is going to go home and setup his snipebot to gently caress this bitch over. Why? Because he's sick of hearing her talk about how she keeps getting free comics because she knows someone in the military.

I hate you funkyverse but I can't stop reading you :(.

No, what's going to happen is, the reason nobody's made a bid after he did is that guy recognized her on ebay, because she used the screenname "wallysmom" or something, and told all his nerd buddies who were bidding on the comic her story, so they let her have it. And Batiuk thinks this is poignant and moving, because he didn't stop to think about how condescending it would be to show Mrs. Funky only being able to succeed in her quest because of male comic fans watching out for her.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Is it just this comic or were the 70s really such a black hole of fashion? There isn't one outfit Emmy Lou has on that I don't recoil from.

Winnie the Pooh

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Mercury Hat posted:

Is it just this comic or were the 70s really such a black hole of fashion? There isn't one outfit Emmy Lou has on that I don't recoil from.

I wouldn't call it a black hole, just different. I get the impression that they're following hippy/flower children type fashions. But yes, there was some weird clothes action going down back then. Here's Ellen Degeneres:

:v:

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Blhue posted:

Well, even that is actually sort of a clue. He lives alone, so having two umbrellas would be kind of weird. I thought that was it was until I read the answer.

I have multiple umbrellas because I'm forgetful and will have to take one to work with me to get the one I left behind while it was dry, please don't convict me for a murder because you're just that much more perfect than me :(

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

I thought it was because the dude is named "Lefty," so you assume he's left-handed, but the coffee mug and toothbrush are all oriented for a right-hander. Short came works, though.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

The way he throws, you could probably get Willie drunk as a skunk, but he'd still kick your rear end at cornhole

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Oh please, oh please... if I can have one wish, I wish that JJJ shakes his hand but accidentally pushes the webshooter button, leading to him webbing himself up and reigniting his hatred of Spider-Man.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

ZeeToo posted:

Oh please, oh please... if I can have one wish, I wish that JJJ shakes his hand but accidentally pushes the webshooter button, leading to him webbing himself up and reigniting his hatred of Spider-Man.

That would be amazing. :allears:

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I wouldn't call it a black hole, just different. I get the impression that they're following hippy/flower children type fashions. But yes, there was some weird clothes action going down back then. Here's Ellen Degeneres:

Her jacket is an AWFUL shade of red, I agree.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

The weird thing about the seventies is that no one seemed to have any muscle tone.

Scary Gary

And here's a glimpse at Hope & Death just because I like the way Death is drawn (even if the rest of it is shite), and it's the middle of the night here and people maybe want something to read:

quote:

Co-workers Ryan Metlen and Dudley Mallinson were working at their jobs as project managers for a landscape company when they came up with an idea for a comic strip: an orphaned little girl goes to live with her grandfather in a retirement home -- but only she can see the Grim Reaper who dwells there. Thus the genesis for "Hope & Death" was born.

Ryan, a graduate of the California Institute of the Arts, who has had editorial cartoons appear in the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal, was set to draw it. London-born Dudley, a graduate of Sheffield University with a love for all things creative and techy, would color the strip. They then brought in a sitcom writer acquaintance of Ryan’s, Steve Gabriel (“Will & Grace,” “Home Improvement”), to write it. Unbeknownst to either Ryan or Dudley, Steve had spent his college years working in a retirement home, so he had plenty of material from which to draw.

"Hope & Death" is a humorous look at life, death, and life after death -- all through the eyes of a seven-year-old girl and her three-foot-tall, one-eyeballed sidekick.

Edit: This Death is significantly less scary than Leopold from Scary Gary and could probably be easily replaced by a pet or a baby with thought bubbles.

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 7, 2014

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
I'm feeling ill so no comments.

Gil

Retail

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Dustin

On the Fastrack

Safe Havens

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If only she can see the reaper that means grandpa just randomly came up to her and took out his teeth.

Digging Miss Mary's style though.

e: okay what is the deal with Lunker in Retail, is he Russian or is it just the usual lazy path of least resistance characterization of a not very smart person?

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 7, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RevKrule posted:

I don't get this mentality. I really don't. Why wouldn't you wait until the last possible minute to bid on an auction on ebay? The way it's setup, even by setting a max bid, you're setting yourself up for failure. On top of that, you're probably going to end up spending more as you get bid up to your max.

This is why I hate eBay. It seems like it's set up to be really great. Everyone sets their maximum bid then whoever put down the highest number pays just enough to beat the next-highest person. You just decide how much you're willing to pay and then if you win you get it for a bit cheaper than that. But in reality it's a loving awful system where the best way to go is to wait till the last minute. So the only way I ever buy anything on eBay is with the "buy it now" option where you just pay a set price and that's it. The actual auction process is just incredibly obnoxious.

A far better system would be if there was a set period of time during which everyone could enter their maximum bids but no one could see what the current maximum was, and then after that it would just award it to whoever bid the most for just enough to beat the second-highest.

Baldo

That's a creepy kid.

Shoe

I assumed the joke here was that David Crosby is fat now, but I Googled him and he isn't. :confused:

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Tiggum posted:

Shoe

I assumed the joke here was that David Crosby is fat now, but I Googled him and he isn't. :confused:
He's not Jabba the Hutt or anything, but he ain't exactly svelte. His doctor would probably tell him that he could stand to lose 20-40 pounds, minimum.

Then again, this is the bra a freaky bird-woman would wear, so god only knows what that's supposed to mean re: David Crosby's chest.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

My Lovely Horse posted:

e: okay what is the deal with Lunker in Retail, is he Russian or is it just the usual lazy path of least resistance characterization of a not very smart person?
The latter.

Trilobite posted:

He's not Jabba the Hutt or anything, but he ain't exactly svelte. His doctor would probably tell him that he could stand to lose 20-40 pounds, minimum.

Then again, this is the bra a freaky bird-woman would wear, so god only knows what that's supposed to mean re: David Crosby's chest.
All the bird people in Shoe are pretty much just people. The fact they're birds is irrelevant to anything in the strip ever.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 7, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well that's very dumb then!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Midnight Moth posted:

All the bird people in Shoe are pretty much just people. The fact they're birds is irrelevant to anything in the strip ever.
They've been seen flying under their own power, actually. And also note that the diner is on a tree branch.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Zereth posted:

They've been seen flying under their own power, actually. And also note that the diner is on a tree branch.

They fly in the same way you or I might walk down the street, and the branch is as empty a bit of set-dressing as the feathers. It's possibly for the best though, as we don't need another Holbrook.

Drimble Wedge posted:

And here's a glimpse at Hope & Death just because I like the way Death is drawn (even if the rest of it is shite), and it's the middle of the night here and people maybe want something to read:
Edit: This Death is significantly less scary than Leopold from Scary Gary and could probably be easily replaced by a pet or a baby with thought bubbles.

It took 3 people to make this. It's not as bad as ZNJ but it's still not good.

Momma

Momma really hates that woman.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

Non Sequitur

Heavenly Nostrils is now up to date.

Kliban

9 Chickweed Lane 5/7/2003

:psyduck: If it's supposed to be funny, it's not. It's just weird.

Zits

Of course, income is not necessary in this charmed life you choose.

Kevin & Kell

Yeah, that sounds reliable.

Nemi

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Tiggum posted:

Baldo

That's a creepy kid.

This kid must have been reading his older brother's Pick Up Artist manuals or something, that was a sick neg.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Hi. I have comics, some are good, some are bad.
Cul-de-sac is good, you should read it every day.

The Creeps is also good, you should read it every monday through friday.

Candorville is bad and Darren Bell is a lazy poo poo.

Broom Hilda got a bad rap early on in an earlier version of this thread. People said it was a bad comic because it beat out f minus for something somewhere. They were wrong. It is secretly a p. funny comic.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (February 16, 1927)

Peanuts (May 10, 1967)

Y'know, maybe Snoopy wants a little sugar in his coffee, too. How 'bout it, baby?

Funky Winkerbean

So there you are. Crazy wasn't smirking out of some secret benevolence. Crazy was smirking because the person he's listening to is so clueless he can't hold it in. Y'know, the reason it happens in every other comic shop.

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Pogo (May 9, 1956)

Droodles (March 8, 1956. May 9 was missing, so we might be jumping around a bit. It's not like it'd screw up a character arc or anything.)

The professor knows his stuff. If there's anything we've learned from Michael Scott, it's that sometimes people will do questionable things to wake up to the aroma of pork products.

Out Our Way (December 3-4, 1924)

And yes, here comes another one that we can't explain away. You know the drill by now.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic

"I abused my position as a figure of authority, called you a bunch of horrible names and threatened you with bodily harm, but if I hit on you that makes it all okay, right?"

"Oh my god, yes! As a woman my only real motivator is vanity!"

Some of these old comics really drive me to Distraction Dog Comix.

Pooch Café

Wow, he must really care about what happens to Fish. He didn't even eat any of that garbage.

Ballard Street

Pet, nothing. I'd stare at that thing for hours on end.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

It's true

Fok_It

In a glorious spectacle that touched the heart of every Finn, Finland won their first Ice Hockey Championship gold medal in 1995.

A feat that has been managed to be repeated only once so far :v:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

It's this guy.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
The age of the jam esallen brings with it more Mark Trail fanservice

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ham Shears gets a song stuck in your head.

The Dinette Set gets into Retail territory.

Seriously, gently caress the "oh I know you close in three minutes and want to go home but I still wanna shop" types. I was lucky that for a long time I had a manager who'd actually kick people out at closing time.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

Sir Gawain is addressing Sir Gawain?

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

I assume that is supposed to be a flatscreen TV in the year 2014 broadcasting what is possibly the most 70's looking news reporter of all time. God damnit Family Circus.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Allen Wren posted:

Sir Gawain is addressing Sir Gawain?

Yeah, he's drunk.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cosima posted:

I assume that is supposed to be a flatscreen TV in the year 2014 broadcasting what is possibly the most 70's looking news reporter of all time. God damnit Family Circus.

You don't like Jock Sportsman?

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Red Meat

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Mercury Hat posted:

This kid must have been reading his older brother's Pick Up Artist manuals or something, that was a sick neg.

That's pretty much my grandma's line to me whenever I have discussions about religion, politics, philosophy with her. She's a jerk sometimes.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Manuel Calavera posted:

Mother Goose & Grimm

Tickets to Spider-Man XXX?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Darthemed posted:

Tickets to Spider-Man XXX?

Yes, why do you ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

I just love the name Peter O'Tool.

• Locked thread