Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

THE PWNER posted:

Anyone who can actually manage to swap to an item and use it to precisely aim with a controller and then swap back to other items is probably jesus.

Doing this with Lightning Spears was the best part of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

FrickenMoron posted:

Pursuer exists to get you ready for pvp, check out those lagstabs!

Man why would you roll towards a boss's weapon side? That's the hurty end!

Ciaphas posted:

I was given to understand that str/dex split weapons were kind of arse. I should just try it rather than listen to posts on the internet, I suppose!

They're only lovely re: damage scaling from str/dex. Many of the "quality"(str/dex) scaling weapons have really loving good movesets and such that make them really worth using if you can find a way to amp up their damage a bit. Popular ways of doing this are elemental infusions, mundane, or raw in a pinch.

Bato
Aug 16, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

I was given to understand that str/dex split weapons were kind of arse. I should just try it rather than listen to posts on the internet, I suppose!

I went Str/Dex instead of pure Str because of Caestus'. Which are pretty amazing.
But yeah I could probably optimize more.
I might just be more of a melee minded guy.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I just want to say that I love being summoned in Grave of the Saints. Nine times out of ten I can dodge past some idiot and his "clever" ambush and strut to the fog door. It seems pretty rare that someone has both the traps set up and is bothering to defend the objective.

I also think it has a more fun layout than Doors of Pharros.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kanos posted:

They're only lovely re: damage scaling from str/dex. Many of the "quality"(str/dex) scaling weapons have really loving good movesets and such that make them really worth using if you can find a way to amp up their damage a bit. Popular ways of doing this are elemental infusions, mundane, or raw in a pinch.

Lightning Longsword on my pure faith character and Dark Claymore on my hex fighter hybrid are both absolutely wrecking things for me :black101:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Broken Cog posted:

Hexes are broken pretty much the moment you get GRS. Getting the chime from Drangleic Castle and the Abyssal Seal ring is basically just icing on the cake.

Dark Orb makes trash stupid easy. GRS makes bosses stupid easy. Stillness of life for everything else.

Kanos posted:

Most bosses that 1h+Shield you want to do that so that you're not facing the shield when you finish the roll and can damage them.

That being said, you usually want to roll towards the boss and the weapon side.

deimos fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 7, 2014

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Zaphod42 posted:

Lightning Longsword on my pure faith character and Dark Claymore on my hex fighter hybrid are both absolutely wrecking things for me :black101:

Infusions make a huge difference on anything that doesn't scale with A/S. Infusion + weapon enchantment spell shame almost everything that's not S-scaling.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Contest Winner posted:

I also think it has a more fun layout than Doors of Pharros.

That's because Doors of Pharros isn't a fun trap gauntlet so much as it's a murderous wood chipper that is effectively impossible to complete if the rat dude is at the keyboard doesn't want to let you. Things like the starting room, the snake eater ladder where you have to climb in open view of a million easy sniper points, and the two foot wide choke point corridors basically mean they can pick any given point to stonewall you.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
It's weird how the voice acting is really good and understated but these crow things sound like shrill anime retards. Sympathies if you forgot about them until you had a whole stack of smooth & shinies to offer. They aren't even secret, everybody's going to hear them within ten mins of starting the game. :witch:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

It's weird how the voice acting is really good and understated but these crow things sound like shrill anime retards. Sympathies if you forgot about them until you had a whole stack of smooth & shinies to offer. They aren't even secret, everybody's going to hear them within ten mins of starting the game. :witch:

Yah, yah. So nice, so smooth.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Yah, yah. So nice, so smooth.

Yah, yah, silky smooth! :3:

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Kanos posted:

If there's one thing dying a million times to that guy before finally beating him taught me it's that hugging a boss and rolling opposite to his weapon side whenever he swings is a very good method for avoiding a lot of hurt from humanoid bosses in this game.

Old Dragonslayer and that Dragonrider guy were really easy after all that practice with Pursuer.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Anybody have a spare Bat Staff? What would ya want for it?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Is the whole "enemies ignore 50% of your attacks" supposed to be the gimmick of Dark Chasm?

Edit: And blocking also randomly stops working.

Asehujiko fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 7, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Asehujiko posted:

Is the whole "enemies ignore 50% of your attacks" supposed to be the gimmick of Dark Chasm?

Edit: And blocking also randomly stops working.

You're not giving us a lot to work with man. Ignore your attacks how? "Stop working" how?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

You're not giving us a lot to work with man. Ignore your attacks how? "Stop working" how?

Large Club -> Not-Havel's head => no damage to Not-Havel, I get pasted by Not-Havel's counter attack

Sword Phantom hits my shield => my health now at 100%, stamina at 95%
Sword Phantom hits my shield => my health now at 100%, stamina at 90%
Sword Phantom hits my shield => my health now at 100%, stamina at 85%
Sword Phantom hits my shield => my health now at 50%, stamina at 85%

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Asehujiko posted:

Large Club -> Not-Havel's head => no damage to Not-Havel, I get pasted by Not-Havel's counter attack

Sword Phantom hits my shield => my health now at 100%, stamina at 95%
Sword Phantom hits my shield => my health now at 100%, stamina at 90%
Sword Phantom hits my shield => my health now at 100%, stamina at 85%
Sword Phantom hits my shield => my health now at 50%, stamina at 85%

Is he using the same weapon or animation for all of those attacks? Do you recognize the weapon? A few swords have shield-piercing strong attacks.

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."
I'm pretty sure the phantom with the Ricard's Rapier can pierce your shield with the R2 flurry. That will kill you dead if you don't avoid it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Connoisseur posted:

I'm pretty sure the phantom with the Ricard's Rapier can pierce your shield with the R2 flurry. That will kill you dead if you don't avoid it.

It sure as gently caress can! That thing is a real bitch.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Also getting hit sideways by some stuff bypasses your shield. I never block against player phantoms because my god they love to guard break.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I'm trying to figure out what to soul vessel my guy into, right now hes basically a mage because i was giant lord farming and found it alot faster/easier.

Not a huge fan of mage though, are melee faith builds any good?

I guess I should also say that prior to switching to mage, I was a mundane avelyn/santiers guy. Basically the worst. Might go back to that now that I'm 60 SL higher.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 7, 2014

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

Is the lore/story as generic a dark souls clone as it seems at first glance? It doesn't seem like nearly a quarter as much effort went into it as the previous game. Item descriptions, item locations, npc dialogue, npc activity, all of just seems extremely low effort in comparison.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Tabletops posted:

I'm trying to figure out what to soul vessel my guy into, right now hes basically a mage because i was giant lord farming and found it alot faster/easier.

Ignore spells
Infuse weapon with the element appropriate to your stats
Apply appropriate weapon buff
Profit!

Faith/Int builds deal more damage melee than strength/dex builds as long as you don't run out of uses for your buff, and even then the damage is only slightly worse.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Domattee posted:

Ignore spells
Infuse weapon with the element appropriate to your stats
Apply appropriate weapon buff
Profit!

Faith/Int builds deal more damage melee than strength/dex builds as long as you don't run out of uses for your buff, and even then the damage is only slightly worse.

Faith int? Like a lightning infused moonlight greatsword?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Will Steam/VAC throw a fit if I use a trainer to go through the Dark Chasm because the whole place is just unfun bullshit.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Tabletops posted:

Dark infused anything if you're split Faint/Int equally.

+10 Dark Great Club + Dark Weapon (spell) :fuckoff:

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Someone on Reddit figured out the Shrine of Winter tablets are from A much larger mural in the Dragon shrine. which seemingly directly relates them to Aldia, Shanalotte, and the dragons.

Cool poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tabletops posted:

I think he means faith or int, either is better than str or dex. Although dark weapon and fire weapon are great too if you're doing faith and int.

Asehujiko posted:

Will Steam/VAC throw a fit if I use a trainer to go through the Dark Chasm because the whole place is just unfun bullshit.

Yeah probably. I'd do it offline if you had to, but you really don't want to risk a VAC ban because that poo poo's permanent and irreversible.

Tabletops posted:

I guess I should also say that prior to switching to mage, I was a mundane avelyn/santiers guy. Basically the worst. Might go back to that now that I'm 60 SL higher.

Paladin builds are wicked strong. In general if you play your stats right, spellswords are insanely powerful and are still super fun to play, where wizards IMO are powerful and fun mostly because they're just very different. Melee is the way to go, but magic melee is amazing.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Asehujiko posted:

Most likely. What is your build? Which Dark Chasm are you doing?

For faith the Drangleic Castle is the easiest:
1. (sunlight|great lightning) spear snipe (Binocs) Not-Havel
2. Charge the caster ghost and melee it
3. (sunlight|great lightning) spear Not-Ricard from behind (the path that goes to the ghost caster doubles back into Ricard's nook.
4. Light the cauldron (do not do it before killing Not-Ricard because it seems to make him active and start patroling)
5. (sunlight|great lightning) spear snipe (Binocs) Scythe Phantom at the end
~~ FIN ~~

Do not let Not-Ricard or Not-Havel get close to you. They loving love shield break and Havel actually parried me once.

deimos fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 7, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Asehujiko posted:

The only answer anyone has is "maybe", so it's definitely a risk. However, allow me to suggest two alternatives...

1) If you really hate it, just don't do it. It's obviously not a mandatory zone.

2) Don't be such a baby.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Question, does Bat Staff affect lifedrain patch?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

daspope posted:

Is the lore/story as generic a dark souls clone as it seems at first glance? It doesn't seem like nearly a quarter as much effort went into it as the previous game. Item descriptions, item locations, npc dialogue, npc activity, all of just seems extremely low effort in comparison.

It isn't as spoon fed but it is there. I personally found the lore quite interesting, about equal with the first game.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Man why even bother putting a sign down to get summoned by the mirror knight if you are just going to hack and be invincible?

Also, I wish FROM did anything at all to prevent cheating.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How do I get to the boss of No Man's wharf? I've met Gavlan, found some pier where someone left a message with boss ahead on what I assume is the boat but going everywhere I didn't notice anything to get it to dock. I mean I'd not have fought the boss anyway most likely since I was down to 1 soul arrow, 1 great soul arrow, 4 dark orb and some lightning spears. At least I found someone selling spells so I can replace lightning spear

Edit: Is there much difference between heavy soul arrow and great soul arrow?

Jose fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 7, 2014

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

What's the second best chime for lightning miracles? The dragon chime is awesome but the 50 faith requirement is really steep and I'm thinking of putting some of those points elsewhere.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So why did From think it was a good idea to have SM matter in NG+ and beyond?

Also, no infinite twinkling titanite when beating the final boss? :psyduck:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Jose posted:

How do I get to the boss of No Man's wharf? I've met Gavlan, found some pier where someone left a message with boss ahead on what I assume is the boat but going everywhere I didn't notice anything to get it to dock. I mean I'd not have fought the boss anyway most likely since I was down to 1 soul arrow, 1 great soul arrow, 4 dark orb and some lightning spears. At least I found someone selling spells so I can replace lightning spear

There's a bell you ring up at the very top of the buildings on a wooden deck.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Also, no infinite twinkling titanite when beating the final boss? :psyduck:

Buy them from Chloanne.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Wiseblood posted:

What's the second best chime for lightning miracles? The dragon chime is awesome but the 50 faith requirement is really steep and I'm thinking of putting some of those points elsewhere.

Lightning Priest's Chime +10 I think.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

Buy them from Chloanne.

Doesn't she only sell three? She gets infinite chunks after killing the final boss. I just get mine from clearing the Shrine of Anime and asceticing the Aerie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Well none of the above matters any more because the Dark Chasm went and stopped functioning when I tabbed back into the game: