Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
I'll be very surprised if, between M15 and Huey, there isn't a more playable creature that costs UU. We'll just have to wait and see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Madmarker posted:

Oh it is a bad card, however, its a 2 power 2 drop that grants 2 blue devotion. If Master of Waves and Thassa didnt exist, I would agree with you.

Watch them reprint Master of the pearl trident in M15 and make Mindreaver even more irrelevant.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

MonoU's viability entirely depends on what we get in M15+Huey, since rotation kills tons of the cards we play:
- Nightveil Specter
- Tidebinder
- Frostburn
- Cloudfin Raptor
- Judge's Familiar (Siren already replaces this)
- Rapid Hybridization
- AEtherling
- Mutavault

Rotation basically kills all of our early game and our best combat/anti-removal trick, and we lose one of our better board-in-vs.-control cards. Oh, and Mutavault is gone, too.

E:

Cactrot posted:

Watch them reprint Master of the pearl trident and make Mindreaver even more irrelevant.
A reprint would actually make the 1-drop unblockable Merfolk from JOU a consideration.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Thassa and Master are two very powerful cards. There will be some sort of deck that plays both most likely.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Mikujin posted:

MonoU's viability entirely depends on what we get in M15+Huey, since rotation kills tons of the cards we play:
- Nightveil Specter
- Tidebinder
- Frostburn
- Cloudfin Raptor
- Judge's Familiar (Siren already replaces this)
- Rapid Hybridization
- AEtherling
- Mutavault

Rotation basically kills all of our early game and our best combat/anti-removal trick, and we lose one of our better board-in-vs.-control cards. Oh, and Mutavault is gone, too.

E:

A reprint would actually make the 1-drop unblockable Merfolk from JOU a consideration.

I am looking forward to the day that Nightveil Specter is no longer in games I play. That card is such a pain in the rear end...

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cactrot posted:

Watch them reprint Master of the pearl trident in M15 and make Mindreaver even more irrelevant.

Only if it has more rad art.

I think I could enjoy a standard of Merfolk Tribal, honestly.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Ebethron posted:

As I speculated a few dozen pages ago, I am guessing that Gold will feature in the next block.

Seems pretty narrow to be a major mechanic, but I'd really like to see this:

Gold Mine
Land

Gold Mine enters the battlefield tapped with three mining counters on it.

{T}, Remove a mining counter from Gold Mine: Put a colorless artifact token named Gold onto the battlefield. It has "Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool." If there are no mining counters on Gold Mine, sacrifice it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Nibble posted:

I'd really like to see this:

Gold Mine

Same but they seem keen on not making robots a better deck. :/

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Would the affinity mechanic let you get both benefits off Gold? (Cheaper cost, then crack it?) Or will the cost adjust itself dynamically even when you're paying mana costs?

The notion that you could put something on the stack, begin paying its cost, and then it becomes illegal because in paying those costs it became uncastable seems weird to me.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 7, 2014

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

A gold Gemstone Caverns style card would be kind of interesting, but probably too broken. Something like:

Land
You may reveal this card from your opening hand. If you do, exile it and, at the beginning of the first upkeep, put a colorless artifact token named Gold onto the battlefield. It has "Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."
T: Add 1 to your mana pool.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Wait, why do people think Gold is going to be anything other than a gimmick on two cards?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Entropic posted:

Wait, why do people think Gold is going to be anything other than a gimmick on two cards?

In the race to call it first, anything is fair game. I predict that the Huey seed card is the reminder text insert.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Entropic posted:

Because nerds latch on to anything. cf. Steamflogger Boss

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Would the affinity mechanic let you get both benefits off Gold? (Cheaper cost, then crack it?) Or will the cost adjust itself dynamically even when you're paying mana costs?

The notion that you could put something on the stack, begin paying its cost, and then it becomes illegal because in paying those costs it became uncastable seems weird to me.

You can do this. You determine the cost before you begin paying it, and you can activate mana abilities while paying. Certain Pauper Affinity variants do this with Lotus Petal, which is essentially gold_token.card.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Starfish Tribal or bust.

Ebethron
Apr 27, 2008

"I hear the coast is nice this time of year."
"If you're in the right business, it's nice all the year."

Entropic posted:

Longshot speculation, with the reward of priceless gloating rights if I am right. Also, like Evolve it was a mechanism proposed in the Great Designer Search.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

LordSaturn posted:

You can do this. You determine the cost before you begin paying it, and you can activate mana abilities while paying. Certain Pauper Affinity variants do this with Lotus Petal, which is essentially gold_token.card.

Figured that was probably the case but wasn't sure if the casting cost became locked in or was always dynamic. Thanks.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Huey block will be a plane filled entirely with libertarians and the mechanics will include the Gold mechanic, first seeded into the Theros block. During the course of the block's storyline, Elspeth will discover that there is a terrible, dark entity within the plane's heart that if left unchecked, will destroy it utterly. She decides to get some popcorn, kick back, and watch.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Pyrolocutus posted:

Huey block will be a plane filled entirely with libertarians and the mechanics will include the Gold mechanic, first seeded into the Theros block. During the course of the block's storyline, Elspeth will discover that there is a terrible, dark entity within the plane's heart that if left unchecked, will destroy it utterly. She decides to get some popcorn, kick back, and watch.

I like to believe that Elspeth will get lost on the way to the next plane...I am kind of tired of her TBH.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

OssiansFolly posted:

I like to believe that Elspeth will get lost on the way to the next plane...I am kind of tired of her TBH.

She's probably gonna stay on Theros for a while, it's pretty much the closest thing she's had to a true home that doesn't die as soon as she steps foot on it.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

She's probably gonna stay on Theros for a while, it's pretty much the closest thing she's had to a true home that doesn't die as soon as she steps foot on it.

I kind of figured it was heading in that direction, but I also feel that the conflict with the gods is also pushing the realm closer to collapsing as well...so it could go either way at this point, but I am crossing my fingers that she doesn't make an appearance in the next block and they have a new White PW.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Pyrolocutus posted:

So wait, are you saying that Wizards will be adopting....a gold Standard?

Google Ron Tibalt.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Huey Block poster found

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Pyrolocutus posted:

Spectre of Communism
Legendary Creature - Spirit

e spectre not ghost

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Pyrolocutus posted:

If your devotion to purestrain is 20 or more, you win the game.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Can anyone explain how Overburden actually works?

The printed text isn't very clear so I checked Oracle, which tells me nothing except that it's only non-token creatures.

The Oracle text is:
Whenever a player puts a nontoken creature onto the battlefield, that player returns a land he or she controls to its owner's hand.

So is this just an ETB for all nontoken creatures? Obviously casting a creature or cheating it into play causes the bounce trigger. Is it only if you caused the creature to ETB? ie if someone Cloudshifts your creature does it still count? If you fetch a Dryad Arbor? I've never seen "puts into play" on a card that I can remember, so I'm trying to figure out what exactly it affects. Would Sudden Disappearance just be a board wipe?

Edit: or maybe it would wipe my board because I caused the creatures to come into play?

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 7, 2014

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Entropic posted:

Well, it seems like it would play fairly similarly to the Eldrazi Spawn tokens in Rise of the Eldrazi, so it's not completely untested waters for Wizards. It was presented in the Great Designer Search (https://www.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/128d) and in its current form seems to have a very deep design space.

It was also presented/conceptualized about 3 years ago, which gives the mechanic enough time to make it through both design and development. In fact, if it is in the set, it took a year more than normal to make it through, which fits with MaRo mentioning the block was pushed back a year.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

suicidesteve posted:

Can anyone explain how Overburden actually works?

The printed text isn't very clear so I checked Oracle, which tells me nothing except that it's only non-token creatures.

The Oracle text is:
Whenever a player puts a nontoken creature onto the battlefield, that player returns a land he or she controls to its owner's hand.

So is this just an ETB for all nontoken creatures? Obviously casting a creature or cheating it into play causes the bounce trigger. Is it only if you caused the creature to ETB? ie if someone Cloudshifts your creature does it still count? If you fetch a Dryad Arbor? I've never seen "puts into play" on a card that I can remember, so I'm trying to figure out what exactly it affects. Would Sudden Disappearance just be a board wipe?

Edit: or maybe it would wipe my board because I caused the creatures to come into play?

It's any time a creature comes into play. Period.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Pyrolocutus posted:

Who is Dack Fayden?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

OssiansFolly posted:

I kind of figured it was heading in that direction, but I also feel that the conflict with the gods is also pushing the realm closer to collapsing as well...so it could go either way at this point, but I am crossing my fingers that she doesn't make an appearance in the next block and they have a new White PW.

They seem to cycle the popular characters around. I think its a lot more likely you'd see Liliana again in the next block rather than Elspeth.

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured
Huey will have a (strong) tribal theme.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

They seem to cycle the popular characters around. I think its a lot more likely you'd see Liliana again in the next block rather than Elspeth.
If they cycle the popular characters back in, why did Elspeth come back? :haw:

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

KillarySwank posted:

I think it'll be a subtheme like it was in innistrad.

edit: bring back a little tribal fun once every three years?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

KillarySwank posted:

Buy up brimaz now?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Tharizdun posted:

If they cycle the popular characters back in, why did Elspeth come back? :haw:

She's a humanoid female and the fanbase for Magic lore has plenty of creeps. To wit: Nissa Revane is apparently coming back despite her actual card being super narrow and wonky.

I'd expect more Vampire Sephiroth too, although perhaps not soon.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 7, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gildse.txt

Mortimer posted:

Who is Dack Fayden?

For years now I've been wondering that.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Angry Grimace posted:

She's a humanoid female and the fanbase for Magic lore has plenty of creeps. Expect more Vampire Sephiroth too, although perhaps not soon.

Sorin is a Cool Dude, though? Pretty much every time he's showed up, he's been one of the most competent people on the plane without being an insufferable smuglord.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
5-to-4 Decision 3WUB

At the beginning of your next end step,
if you have twenty more Gold artifact tokens
than your opponent, you win the game.

More money equals better than.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

redstormpopcorn posted:

5-to-4 Decision 3WUB

At the beginning of your next end step,
if you have twenty more Gold artifact tokens
than your opponent, you win the game.

More money equals better than.

We already have a card with the Supreme Court on it. Its called "Obzedat, Ghost Council."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Angry Grimace posted:

She's a humanoid female and the fanbase for Magic lore has plenty of creeps. To wit: Nissa Revane is apparently coming back despite her actual card being super narrow and wonky.

I'd expect more Vampire Sephiroth too, although perhaps not soon.

Hopefully Nissa is coming back so they can off her because lore-wise, she's the MegaHitler of walkers.

• Locked thread