Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

And people keep trying to tell me that hitboxes in this game aren't the brokenest poo poo.
The hitboxes of non-grab attacks are fine. Grab attacks though do tend to have wonky hitboxes that are way too bag. This was an issue in DaS1 as well.

If you're referring to multiplayer where you can get hit by a player two rooms away. That's not a hitbox issue, that's lag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Tabletops posted:

You can literally get infinite twinkling by doing the memory of jeigh over and over. theres an ascetic, and a corpse before the tree that re spawns with every ascetic you use.

Ascetics are hard to come by if you do what I did and kill Grandahl because he's a dork and the effigy requirement was annoying. :( Twinkling is so drat hard to come by. I have enough to get one armor set to +3/+4, so if I end up wanting to wear a different armor, sorry buddy! Even if I hadn't killed Grandahl, farming ascetics would be a lot of effort there too.

Should just be purchasable in infinite quantity after clearing NG+ or something.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

pmchem posted:

Ascetics are hard to come by if you do what I did and kill Grandahl because he's a dork and the effigy requirement was annoying. :( Twinkling is so drat hard to come by. I have enough to get one armor set to +3/+4, so if I end up wanting to wear a different armor, sorry buddy! Even if I hadn't killed Grandahl, farming them would be a lot of effort there too.

Should just be purchasable in infinite quantity after clearing NG+ or something.

You literally get infinite twinkling titanite, bonfire ascetics, and souls with the Giant lord. Also why the hell would kill you Grandahl? You get a poo poo ton of effigies in the game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Yep that's about right. The ziplines in this game are so goofy.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Raygereio posted:

The hitboxes of non-grab attacks are fine. Grab attacks though do tend to have wonky hitboxes that are way too bag. This was an issue in DaS1 as well.

If you're referring to multiplayer where you can get hit by a player two rooms away. That's not a hitbox issue, that's lag.
I've had similar stuff happen to me in offline, mostly by spear dudes. I think stabs of any kind are just broken in general.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Whats a good place to get large titanite shards? I want to upgrade my archdrake staff and it seems getting the ember for McDuff is a fair bit further into the game. I'm not really sure which way to go now anyway that I've finished Sinner's Rise and No-Man's Wharf. I used the branch of yore on the statue in Majula

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Jose posted:

Whats a good place to get large titanite shards? I want to upgrade my archdrake staff and it seems getting the ember for McDuff is a fair bit further into the game. I'm not really sure which way to go now anyway that I've finished Sinner's Rise and No-Man's Wharf. I used the branch of yore on the statue in Majula
Go through the space behind the statue in Majula. You could also go through the original path to Heide and talk to the cleric there. She can open another path. The latter route also gets you on the path towards the Dull Ember.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Leper Residue posted:

You literally get infinite twinkling titanite, bonfire ascetics, and souls with the Giant lord. Also why the hell would kill you Grandahl? You get a poo poo ton of effigies in the game.

To be fair, killing Grandahl is hilarious. Lookit him scoot! :3:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ravenfood posted:

Go through the space behind the statue in Majula. You could also go through the original path to Heide and talk to the cleric there. She can open another path. The latter route also gets you on the path towards the Dull Ember.

Having a bit of a google it seems there are a fair few items useful for me as a sorcerer if I go through the space left by the statue so I guess I'll go that way

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So I'm really enjoying using poison so far, and I want to branch out into toxic. Would Mytha's blade work well for that? If so, how on earth can I get the necessary upgrade materials to make it halfway decent?

I suppose I should also grab the toxic mist spell while I'm at it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So I found some rubbish. Does it do anything in this game?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

DrNutt posted:

As far as I know, you can do nothing with it in DaS2. Also if you picked it up from the remains of a wooden chest, it's actually a smashed item. If you need to do check if chests are mimmicks, hit them just once and avoid fighting enemies around them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

kazil posted:

Man why even bother putting a sign down to get summoned by the mirror knight if you are just going to hack and be invincible?

Also, I wish FROM did anything at all to prevent cheating.

VAC bans don't count?

DrNutt posted:

Means you hosed up. Sell it to Gavlan. Wheel and Deal.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Raygereio posted:

As far as I know, you can do nothing with it in DaS2. Also if you picked it up from the remains of a wooden chest, it's actually a smashed item. If you need to do check if chests are mimmicks, hit them just once and avoid fighting enemies around them.

No, it was late game from a fairly difficult to reach place. So I assumed it was useful for something.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

There needs to be a reveal spell that invaders can use. I thought invading undead crypt would be fun with the bells and poo poo, turns out all hosts do when they get invaded is hide god-knows-where and wait for you to leave/disconnect. :psyduck: Summon phantoms and conquer my dungeon drat it!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Bobnumerotres posted:

There needs to be a reveal spell that invaders can use. I thought invading undead crypt would be fun with the bells and poo poo, turns out all hosts do when they get invaded is hide god-knows-where and wait for you to leave/disconnect. :psyduck: Summon phantoms and conquer my dungeon drat it!

Isn't there a spell that will have an orb seek out the person you're invading?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

VAC bans don't count?

I've got a VAC ban, and I'm cheating outrageously. Hell, there's even a causal link.

It just... goes the wrong way.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Volt Catfish posted:

Isn't there a spell that will have an orb seek out the person you're invading?

Nope! Only reveals invaders, not the other way around. dumbest poo poo ever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mystic Mongol posted:

I've got a VAC ban, and I'm cheating outrageously. Hell, there's even a causal link.

I'm not sure what it is you think you're saying.

Would it be nice if FROM had more protections? Maybe, but the internet will always have more time than them, and they're not really good PC devs to begin with. I'm happy with the quality of the game. And if people cheat, they get banned. Plenty of other games work the same way. Most games have very little security. So? Bans seem fine to me.

The only games that are unhackable are games that have thin clients and are almost entirely server-side logic, which would mean no offline play and even more server downtime among other things that aren't worth it. See Diablo 3.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 7, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Mystic Mongol posted:

So they got you for that thingy you posted a while back or what are you talking about?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

daspope posted:

Is the lore/story as generic a dark souls clone as it seems at first glance? It doesn't seem like nearly a quarter as much effort went into it as the previous game. Item descriptions, item locations, npc dialogue, npc activity, all of just seems extremely low effort in comparison.

Found the lore to be way more engaging than DS1, but it's purposely subtle (you are told, after all, that you'll eventually stand at the gates of Castle Drangleic without really knowing why).

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/06/understanding-the-lore-of-dark-souls-2

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF
Been blitzing through the game with a Thor-themed faith build after going pure melee in DS1, and having a blast as a sunbro after not being able to get any hits in the last game. I've just beaten up the Lost Sinner and want to know where to go next. Things I would like to get:

Hammer: I have the craftsmans hammer from the hidden blacksmith in Lost Bastille, but my stats aren't up to using it. Is it worth leveling up to it, or are better/less stat-intensive ones available?

Hat: I have one of the viking horny hats from No-Mans wharf, is there a Marvel Thor-esque winged helm available anywhere?

Lightning: I am LOVING the heck out of lightning spear, are there any more lightning miracles? And where do I get a lightning stone for this awesome hammer I'm going to be getting?

Gauntlets: Because I am a huge nerd, I need to get the biggest and most ornate gauntlets I can to represent Jarn Grieper. Currently rocking the Old Knights gauntlets, where can I find a more ornate/ostentatious/big set?

And just to cap this off, some fashion souls/stat allocation so you can tell me how terribly I've built this character:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Cardiovorax posted:

So they got you for that thingy you posted a while back or what are you talking about?

He has a previous non dark souls 2 related vac ban. The causal link is backwards since he is banned therefore he cheats.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Hell no they didn't. I've got a VAC ban from a few years ago for a shooter. I'd never cheated, never hacked, never account shared, my scores were garbage because I was bad at it, and I'd never so much as installed a spray. I don't even know what they think I did to flag me, because they won't tell me.

So I'm much more comfortable loving around on Dark Souls 2. What are they going to do, ruin my perfect steam record and call me a cheater? It's already been done.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Atoramos posted:

Found the lore to be way more engaging than DS1, but it's purposely subtle (you are told, after all, that you'll eventually stand at the gates of Castle Drangleic without really knowing why).

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/06/understanding-the-lore-of-dark-souls-2

Of course lots of people just jump to "DS2 story sucks compared to DS1"

Completely ignoring that most people didn't get any of the Dark Souls story until Vatividya explained it to them with youtube videos :v:

And what you did figure out in-game, you didn't really understand until your 2nd play through the game. But here people are on their first run through DS2 and "the story is crap!"

gamers.txt

Dirk the Average posted:

He has a previous non dark souls 2 related vac ban. The causal link is backwards since he is banned therefore he cheats.

What? Surely he's saying something less stupid than that...

Mystic Mongol posted:

Hell no they didn't. I've got a VAC ban from a few years ago for a shooter. I'd never cheated, never hacked, never account shared, my scores were garbage because I was bad at it, and I'd never so much as installed a spray. I don't even know what they think I did to flag me, because they won't tell me.

So I'm much more comfortable loving around on Dark Souls 2. What are they going to do, ruin my perfect steam record and call me a cheater? It's already been done.

Oh nope.

Dude if you got VAC banned for something, create a new account and stop buying videogames on the old account. :doh:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Captain Hats posted:

Lightning: I am LOVING the heck out of lightning spear, are there any more lightning miracles? And where do I get a lightning stone for this awesome hammer I'm going to be getting?

Yes, there are more lighting miracles. As for a lightning stone, join up with the Blue Sentinels in Heide's Tower of Flames. Their covenant NPC sells boltstones.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

DrNutt posted:

No, it was late game from a fairly difficult to reach place. So I assumed it was useful for something.

I can't think of any rubbish in the actual game world, other than what comes from breaking a chest. Enemies can also break chests if you were rolling around fighting someone around there.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

They could ban you from playing DS2 online forever, potentially.

But with all the crazy hacking no one's been banned, yet. I think if another week or two passes and there aren't any ban waves, it's pretty safe to assume this is GFWL all over again and absolutely nothing will be done about cheaters.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh nope.

Dude if you got VAC banned for something, create a new account and stop buying videogames on the old account. :doh:

I could choose between losing all my old games and having my account split in half or just not playing that one game any more. Beacuse VAC title were title specific (up until Dark Souls 2, anyway) I didn't see any particular reason to swap.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Eh.

I mean, yeah, that'd be lame. But I'm willing to risk a few bucks to learn. Also everyone in the thread was talking about how the anti-cheating "obviously" works, so I figured I'd get scientific on it.

Someone should play Lise Meitner to my Otto Hahn and install all the graphical upgrades.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 7, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mystic Mongol posted:

This is one reaction to your situation. Another would have been to not be a total fuckhead, but I guess you've made your choice already!

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Chomp8645 posted:

This is one reaction to your situation. Another would have been to not be a total fuckhead, but I guess you've made your choice already!

I'm not the monster! Society is the monster!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Captain Hats posted:

Hammer: I have the craftsmans hammer from the hidden blacksmith in Lost Bastille, but my stats aren't up to using it. Is it worth leveling up to it, or are better/less stat-intensive ones available?

Yes the craftsman's hammer is absolutely worth using. Leningrast in Majula also has a slightly worse but less stat-intensive hammer to give you if you just talk to him after having spent 8000 or more souls at his shop.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Bobnumerotres posted:

Then he creates a new account and Family Shares Dark Souls 2 online with that account. You're doing Good Work, Mystic Mongol. Keep investigating, because lord knows I'm interested in a way to dumb down my Soul Memory (I've lost well over 300k souls on my first run, such a stupid way to handle multiplayer).

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mystic Mongol posted:

Also everyone in the thread was talking about how the anti-cheating "obviously" works, so I figured I'd get scientific on it.

Nobody was claiming that. In fact we all saying the exact opposite when you chimed in with your "experiment". You were never actually testing anything from the start. Then you decided you should do some more rounds for "complete testing" as if it wasn't a paper-thin excuse to just plain keep cheating.

In short you are both a cheater and idiot because you try to shift blame away from yourself with incredibly lame excuses.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

In short you are both a cheater and idiot because you try to shift blame away from yourself with incredibly lame excuses.

Sorry you're so angry Chomp but he's doing awesome research and I may very well use Poke to alter my Soul Memory if he continues to not be banned. It's not like he's trolling other players, hell he doesn't even have an insane Soul Level so if he dies he's not screwing up his invadee's characters.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
It's kind of annoying that most people's reaction to getting rat broed is to find a safe place then not move for ten minutes. Come on guys, run my maze, you have literally nothing to lose!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Nobody was claiming that. In fact we all saying the exact opposite when you chimed in with your "experiment". You were never actually testing anything from the start. Then you decided you should do some more rounds for "complete testing" as if it wasn't a paper-thin excuse to just plain keep cheating.

Cheating needs to be excused? gently caress you dude.

quote:

It's kind of annoying that most people's reaction to getting rat broed is to find a safe place then not move for ten minutes. Come on guys, run my maze, you have literally nothing to lose!

People are loving garbage and just hide to deprive invaders/ratbros from kills. Like play the loving game holy poo poo.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Atoramos posted:

It's not like he's trolling other players

He posted in this very thread about altering his soul memory to be super low and bellbroing with a full set of havel's. If you are going defend him you should at least know what you're talking about.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

My experiences being ratbro'd, the three or four times it happened, involved me getting backstabbed the moment I spawn (it's probably a set location). I want to dodge traps and poo poo too! :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

He posted in this very thread about altering his soul memory to be super low and bellbroing with a full set of havel's. If you are going defend him you should at least know what you're talking about.

And I do, try reading his posts again and maybe you won't call him a fuckhead and an idiot! :jerkbag: