Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Azuth0667 posted:

To be fair I'm bellcoping with a full set of havels below 250k SM, thanks to the help with the shortest fragrant branch path. Its really simple too, clear the first area, buy the cat ring, jump down the hole, run to Black Gulch, and kill the giants. Speaking of Black Gulch I think they did something to the statues the drat things respawn now whenever you rest at a bonfire :negative:.

Yes but at least if you're doing it legit and just fast-pathing the loot there are serious drawbacks. At 250k you don't have a high-scaled lightning weapon or something to go with it, and you're either fatrolling or have low health/stamina. You're giving up a lot just to have the armor. But if you're like 2 million SM or something and then modify it to 250k then not only are you in havel's, but you have a light roll in it, tons of stamina and health, and a lot of faith/int to scale with some elemental weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Bobnumerotres posted:

I summoned a red phantom once that appeared with the white ring on, insisted he didn't want to fight. So I summoned whites/sunbros, exchanged hello gestures and in this period the fake bro stabbed them lethally in the back with some high crit knife.

This continued throughout the Keep until I got to the boss gate, where he just crystal'd out. I imagine I made his day.

hahah glorious.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

deimos posted:

Black Witch's Staff

Keep in mind it's incredibly suboptimal vs. using Staff of Amana + Chime.

Also if you're doing Int/Faith you should be hexin.

My loadout includes:
+5 Dark Sunset Staff
+10 Magic Staff of Amana
+5 Lightning Dragon Chime
+5 Dark Chime of Want

why amana over wisdom?

also the black witch staff is actually quite good with both hexes and sorceries considering the A scaling in int, b in faith and A in dark, idk.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sushibandit posted:

An "easy" fix (which people have been suggesting pretty much everywhere there's DS2 discussion taking place) would be changing Soul Memory to be a record of "souls spent" instead of "souls earned". That way someone who dumps a shitload of souls into gear and someone who dumps the same shitload of souls into levels are matched with each other, restoring balance to the force.

I was baffled the first time I heard it wasn't based on souls actually spent, it'd be a huge improvement. At higher levels/NG+ they could relax the SM matchmaking demands since people are working on fashion souls at that point, too.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Captain Hats posted:

Hammer: I have the craftsmans hammer from the hidden blacksmith in Lost Bastille, but my stats aren't up to using it. Is it worth leveling up to it, or are better/less stat-intensive ones available?

Not really. Stick with the Mace. It's pound-for-pound one of the best weapons in the game considering its damage output, damage type (strike), weight, poise damage, and stat requirements. The only thing that kind of sucks is its range.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Cheating needs to be excused? gently caress you dude.

People are loving garbage and just hide to deprive invaders/ratbros from kills. Like play the loving game holy poo poo.

Hey maybe instead of only pvping when youve set everything to your advantage you actually go look for the phantom and fight him?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Vermain posted:

Not really. Stick with the Mace. It's pound-for-pound one of the best weapons in the game considering its damage output, damage type (strike), weight, poise damage, and stat requirements. The only thing that kind of sucks is its range.

Range isn't great, but its moveset has a lot of vertically oriented attacks, which is very important when fighting in hallways, especially now that equipment durability goes down so much quicker and you want to avoid whacking walls as much as possible.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Bobnumerotres posted:

I was baffled the first time I heard it wasn't based on souls actually spent, it'd be a huge improvement. At higher levels/NG+ they could relax the SM matchmaking demands since people are working on fashion souls at that point, too.
I really don't know why it doesn't already work that way, either. It's not just that it allows you to keep playing PVP in a particular range - someone who played suboptimally and lost a lot of souls also wouldn't be getting curb-stomped by invaders way over their level, for example.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Cardiovorax posted:

I really don't know why it doesn't already work that way, either. It's not just that it allows you to keep playing PVP in a particular range - someone who played suboptimally and lost a lot of souls also wouldn't be getting curb-stomped by invaders way over their level, for example.
I think the weirdest part is that this system seems exclusively geared to fixing the invader problem...and I can count the times I've been invaded on one hand. No idea why they didn't just do something with a combination of SM and SL--if you're under SL ~50, it does SM, otherwise it does SL. Or something.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

404notfound posted:

Range isn't great, but its moveset has a lot of vertically oriented attacks, which is very important when fighting in hallways, especially now that equipment durability goes down so much quicker and you want to avoid whacking walls as much as possible.

I've honestly only ever had my halbreds break on me... all the drat time.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Exmond posted:

Hey maybe instead of only pvping when youve set everything to your advantage you actually go look for the phantom and fight him?

I do. Check bonfires, dueling spots, nooks and crannies. Scour everything for several minutes, ears open no sign of them. I'm always up for a fair duel, it's much better than people just spamming g. resonant soul/estus and sprinting away.

But just hiding forever? That's lame.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The reason they do souls acquired instead of souls spent is because there is an obvious exploit with souls spent. You could simply clear a bunch of zones while banking the souls, collect all the rings, weapons/armor, and twinkling titanite, and then intentionally kill yourself twice. Bam, super gear, no SM.

That said, they could definitely refine the system. I think a good compromise would be making it so that souls lost don't fully count (like only 25% or 50% of them get added to soul memory). And they can probably just throw SM out completely in NG+.

But still soul memory is way, WAY better for NG then soul level was. Just because it's not a perfect system doesn't mean it's not a massive improvement.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Tabletops posted:

why amana over wisdom?

also the black witch staff is actually quite good with both hexes and sorceries considering the A scaling in int, b in faith and A in dark, idk.

Obviously not as good if you're hollow, but Amana ekes out in cast speed (I've only done crude tests but it is definitely casting faster) and uses less stamina while doing slightly (8%ish) less damage.

Black witch staff is good (specially for trash and maybe even for the unexpected factor in PvP), but you're really really missing out on infusions.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Chomp8645 posted:

The reason they do souls acquired instead of souls spent is because there is an obvious exploit with souls spent. You could simply clear a bunch of zones while banking the souls, collect all the rings, weapons/armor, and twinkling titanite, and then intentionally kill yourself twice. Bam, super gear, no SM.

You realize that if they tried this, they'd be completely unable to use 90% of the good equipment they collected and said equipment would be completely unupgraded, right? They'd still need to pick up some soul memory to get to an overpowering place.

I agree that soul memory isn't great in its current form and that they should completely throw it out for NG+, though.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

King of Solomon posted:

I agree that soul memory isn't great in its current form and that they should completely throw it out for NG+, though.

It'd be rad if NG+ had no restrictions for invading/cooping, it was just everyone on everyone. You've had time to build a reasonable character during a full playthrough of the game, time to dive headfirst into a pool of dark infused washing poles and poison mist bat staffs, :darksouls: stars here!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

But if you get end-game gear and upgrade them, along with your level enough to operate the gear, how much of a difference is there between you and the players who are spending their souls the exact same way, but slower? They bought the same key items, ores, got lucky with similar loot when RNG is in play, etc.

If you gear the gently caress up you will still be fighting other people that are also geared the gently caress up. A bad player that's in lost bastille has only spent enough souls to get poo poo to +3~5 and his level up a few times, they won't be paired up with someone who's spent tons.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Well, when the servers were down, I took the opportunity to make a new guy. I wanted to try the whole dual caestus deal, so, I made my guy look like a '20s boxer (or, alternately, like the guy Indy fights under the flying wing in Raiders of the Lost Ark) - as that seems to be the thing to do - and as soon as I got my stats up to the point where I could powerstance those two beautiful bastards the game just turned into a laugh riot. So, yeah; that guy's gonna be shirtless the entire game as we engage in fisticuffs against all comers.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

That said, they could definitely refine the system. I think a good compromise would be making it so that souls lost don't fully count (like only 25% or 50% of them get added to soul memory). And they can probably just throw SM out completely in NG+.

But still soul memory is way, WAY better for NG then soul level was. Just because it's not a perfect system doesn't mean it's not a massive improvement.

Even "super gear" needs the stats to at a bare minimum equip it, not to mention upgrade it to a useful level. I agree that everything should be thrown out the window in NG+, but since that's where you start to get a lot of the nicer stuff anyway, I don't really see acquiring overpowered gear as being a big enough problem in NG to force the irritating limitations of SM as it is currently.

For example; aescetic a zone in NG to make it NG+ in order to twink your way to a really awesome piece of gear or spell means you're suddenly fair game to the "no limitations" matchmaking of NG+ in that zone. Hope the gear was worth it.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Not really. Even now you can still avoid 90% of the enemies in this game and do bosses with 2 phantoms for minimal soul memory gain while gathering all the weapons spells you need to be an overpowered jerk in PvP. I'm fairly sure I could create a character with like 100k-200k soul memory but still a +10 weapon and a weapon buff of some kind. I don't know if I could actually invade anyone outside Belfry Luna with that kind of set-up though, seeing as low-level red invasions are weird somehow.

And honestly the easiest way to "twink" in this game is to make a new character and fight new players. Put a guy with a +10 weapon and 5 hours of total playtime up against someone with a base weapon and 100 hours and the guy with 100 hours will probably win just about every time. Low level invasions are only ever fair if both players have both the same level of gear and experience, and that almost never happens.

It feels like they did a decent job at stopping twinking by just making invasions harder to do before lategame and ng+, but then they added a bunch of other completely redundant things as well, like the soul memory system. I'd much prefer to stay at a set level to retain some sort of cohesive specialized build, rather than constantly level up towards some kind of "be good at everything" build.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 7, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kewpuh posted:

You posted this and then reported his response to this. Something a little bitch would do

Ahahaha this is great. Pc thread keeps on giving :allears:

Mystic Mongol posted:

It'd be rad if NG+ had no restrictions for invading/cooping, it was just everyone on everyone. You've had time to build a reasonable character during a full playthrough of the game, time to dive headfirst into a pool of dark infused washing poles and poison mist bat staffs, :darksouls: stars here!

It doesn't, really. Once you have 12mil or more SM that it's, that's the last tier. Which means a lot of people don't sotp leveling and up with a 50 in every stat do everything build.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
The Belfry Gargoyles are annoying to fight alone but are also vanishingly sparse with regards to sigils. Ughhh

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 7, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Minorkos posted:

Not really. Even now you can still avoid 90% of the enemies in this game and do bosses with 2 phantoms for minimal soul memory gain while gathering all the weapons spells you need to be an overpowered jerk in PvP. I'm fairly sure I could create a character with like 100k-200k soul memory but still a +10 weapon and a weapon buff of some kind. I don't know if I could actually invade anyone outside Belfry Luna with that kind of set-up though, seeing as low-level red invasions are weird somehow.
Trading is still possible, right? So there's really nothing stopping you from loading up on stuff on one character and muling the poo poo onto a twink with the help of a buddy or something.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Trading is still possible, right? So there's really nothing stopping you from loading up on stuff on one character and muling the poo poo onto a twink with the help of a buddy or something.

It might be difficult to mule, seeing as the game won't let players with too different soul memories connect.

I guess you could create a ladder of mules at different soul memories but at that point you're doing a whole lot of work to slightly inconvenience someone in a video game

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Huh? Amana casts slower than Wisdom does. There's a stat listed for it on the equip screen and everything.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Minorkos posted:

It might be difficult to mule, seeing as the game won't let players with too different soul memories connect.

I thought the Name-Engraved Ring pretty much throws SM brackets out the window for players who want to co-op with it?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sushibandit posted:

I thought the Name-Engraved Ring pretty much throws SM brackets out the window for players who want to co-op with it?

quote:

This ring expands the viable Soul Memory range needed to connect with another player, when using the White Sign Soapstone.

Woah. I did not know this. White phantoming is gonna be so much easier now.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
It loosens them but they're still in play. It sucks and is dumb, I just want to co-op with my buddy but I can't play alone too much either.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Elysiume posted:

The Belfry Gargoyles are annoying to fight alone but are also vanishingly sparse with regards to sigils. Ughhh

Its true, the belfry can be annoying.

Have you done the other 3 paths of the game though? You can always put that boss fight off for a long time. And really you never have to do it, although I can understand if you do want to.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

BobbyK posted:

It loosens them but they're still in play. It sucks and is dumb, I just want to co-op with my buddy but I can't play alone too much either.

This was never not the case, coop between friends isn't what they're going for. From what I understand Dark Souls 1 even disabled party chat on the 360.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I am no longer a bell keeper, I am now a fearsome dragon! Most people who fight dragons don't know how to deal with homing crystal soulmass followed by soul greatsword. The roar isn't that great for knock back in pvp (no one really gets hit by it), but the buff it gives to your spells is huge. I'm now a dragon battlemage, and I'll stay that way until ng+, where I'll try again with the bells. :v:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
So why am I in Dragon Shrine, and it takes me in the area of 10-11 hits to kill anything here, but I lose 80% of my hp if I'm hit by one of their rapid, ceaseless attacks? I'm getting loving DESTROYED. I'm using a lightning mace with a str/faith setup, and wearing light armor (since heavy does gently caress all). This is loving infuriating, the game is hard as gently caress now because of numbers. SL 123.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 7, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

FrancoFish posted:

So why am I in Dragon Shrine, and it takes me in the area of 10-11 hits to kill anything here, but I lose 80% of my hp if I'm hit by one of their rapid, ceaseless attacks? I'm getting loving DESTROYED. I'm using a lightning mace with a str/faith setup, and wearing light armor (since heavy does gently caress all). This is loving infuriating, the game is hard as gently caress now because of numbers.

Use a stronger weapon. You could have the Defender's Greatsword by now and infused it with lightning. I could kill the drake keepers with 3-4 hits with that or 2-3 casts of Great Lightning Spear.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Mzbundifund posted:

Huh? Amana casts slower than Wisdom does. There's a stat listed for it on the equip screen and everything.

Test it out, I kept thinking I was crazy but I tested it and it casts slightly faster, either the display number is off or it has something to do with the human buff.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

FrancoFish posted:

So why am I in Dragon Shrine, and it takes me in the area of 10-11 hits to kill anything here, but I lose 80% of my hp if I'm hit by one of their rapid, ceaseless attacks? I'm getting loving DESTROYED. I'm using a lightning mace with a str/faith setup, and wearing light armor (since heavy does gently caress all). This is loving infuriating, the game is hard as gently caress now because of numbers. SL 123.

You need to upgrade your mace and/or cast some buffs on it, they should die in less than 5 hits. And if you're a faith setup, why not just throw some lightning spears?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

Use a stronger weapon. You could have the Defender's Greatsword by now and infused it with lightning. I could kill the drake keepers with 3-4 hits with that or 2-3 casts of Great Lightning Spear.

My Great Lightning Spear takes about 6-7 to kill them. I guess 42 Faith may as well be 0 then?

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Bobnumerotres posted:

People are loving garbage and just hide to deprive invaders/ratbros from kills. Like play the loving game holy poo poo.

That's me:smuggo:, I guess I do that cause the invader experience is generally a lovely one.

They're generally much more min/maxxed, or a hard core Stalin buttstabber. So if I don't see any phantom signs round to help me out I just don't play the lovely PvP game and play my lovely hide and seek game:colbert:.

But yeah gotta make them griefers work for it.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
FROM really missed a trick by not making unnarmed/cestus backstabs and frontstabs do suplexes and tombstones. I have become disenchanted by my punchy guy now. :colbert:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Azzents posted:

FROM really missed a trick by not making unnarmed/cestus backstabs and frontstabs do suplexes and tombstones. I have become disenchanted by my punchy guy now. :colbert:

How dare you compare fisticuffing to mexican wraslin.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

FrancoFish posted:

My Great Lightning Spear takes about 6-7 to kill them. I guess 42 Faith may as well be 0 then?

Have you upgraded your chime and infused it with lightning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

FrancoFish posted:

I used the same weapon. Sword and shield guys are very predictable, even the two-handers are find. Really, you have to pull enemies with the bow to get a fair one vs one scenario. Otherwise prepare to dodge a lot while sneaking in one hit every now and then when fighting the pairs. Anything with a mace in that area. Bleh. Especially Mr. No-I-Don't-Ever-Need-To-Recover who can do a near endless combo. I would sit there with Havel's shield and just watch him wail away. Those guys need circle strafing and dodging.

FrancoFish posted:

Use fire.