Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Raygereio posted:

Apparently when you try to invade, you're not restricted to the area you're using the red orb in.
I picked up some cracked red orbs in Huntsman's Copse just now and decided to use one because why not? I arrived in an area I haven't been to yet, but what I think was Dragon Shrine. After I returned to my own world after getting my face smashed in by the host and his phantom buddies, I couldn't find my bloodstain anywhere near me.
So are those 10.000 souls I had now on the other side of the gameworld? :psyduck:

That's pretty strange. I've done somewhere around 150 invasions at this point and not once have I ended up anywhere other than the zone is used the orb in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Raygereio posted:

Apparently when you try to invade, you're not restricted to the area you're using the red orb in.
I picked up some cracked red orbs in Huntsman's Copse just now and decided to use one because why not? I arrived in an area I haven't been to yet, but what I think was Dragon Shrine. After I returned to my own world after getting my face smashed in by the host and his phantom buddies, I couldn't find my bloodstain anywhere near me.
So are those 10.000 souls I had now on the other side of the gameworld? :psyduck:

Your bloodstain should be wherever you used the orb.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Oh my god, ratbroing with the ring that makes you a white phantom is amazing

Do "Praise the Sun", walk behind them, BAM pull out Pursuers Ultra Greatsword and smash them into the ground

apply Lightning Spear as needed.

None of them have gotten past the watery ring in Grave of Saints.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Your bloodstain should be wherever you used the orb.
I guess I ran into some sort of glitch then. I used it standing next to the Bridge Approach bonfire and there wasn't a bloodstain there when I returned.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
For some reason nobody decides to toss Lloyd's Talismans during PVP. It definitely fucks over hosts more than poison does in Bellbro matches.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Raygereio posted:

I guess I ran into some sort of glitch then. I used it standing next to the Bridge Approach bonfire and there wasn't a bloodstain there when I returned.

People have reported this a few other times, looks like it's a semi-rare glitch.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I went to Belfry Sol to find someone to fight so I rang the bell and it summoned two people. Why would I come out of my way just to get double teamed?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Raygereio posted:

Sounds like it. To the best of my knowledge Cracked Red Eye Orbs are supposed to be "only the area you're currently in". Only Blue ones are supposed to be able to invade anywhere.

Decrepus posted:

I went to Belfry Sol to find someone to fight so I rang the bell and it summoned two people. Why would I come out of my way just to get double teamed?

Summon your own buddy and have some ~gud fights~

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Why can shields not block arrow traps in the memories. Why do the rules change in these. Ugh.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Decrepus posted:

For the loot and the cool experience of fighting in PvP? Bring a phantom if you want.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Kanos posted:

PvP part of Doors of Pharros is off to the side and unnecessary.

Where is this exactly? Already maxed out the Bellkeeper Covenant (wow that armor sucks) and I'm going for the RatBro Covenant now.

I'm in the general area but it seems kinda linear and I'm not sure where I'll actually get some hits. Or is the rat trap area better to wait around in?

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Any news on the VAC issues?

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Joe Man posted:

Where is this exactly? Already maxed out the Bellkeeper Covenant (wow that armor sucks) and I'm going for the RatBro Covenant now.

I'm in the general area but it seems kinda linear and I'm not sure where I'll actually get some hits. Or is the rat trap area better to wait around in?

From the Scorpioness Najka arena take the door that opened in there, when you run into your first Mastadon it's under the archway to the right instead of up the stairs. If you're not already in the Ratbro covenant from Grave of Saints it is going to be unpleasant.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The Joe Man posted:

When you FIRST enter Doors of Pharros, you'll see a Mastodon and a stairway leading up with a Gyrm Warrior on it. There's a dip in the water behind the Mastodon that you wade through, leading to a bonfire. Going past that bonfire takes you to Ratbro turf.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Babyface Mingo posted:

Any news on the VAC issues?

Nope. It also seems random whether it affects people with VAC bans.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Orv posted:

From the Scorpioness Najka arena take the door that opened in there, when you run into your first Mastadon it's under the archway to the right instead of up the stairs. If you're not already in the Ratbro covenant from Grave of Saints it is going to be unpleasant.

Captain Oblivious posted:

When you FIRST enter Doors of Pharros, you'll see a Mastodon and a stairway leading up with a Gyrm Warrior on it. There's a dip in the water behind the Mastodon that you wade through, leading to a bonfire. Going past that bonfire takes you to Ratbro turf.

Know exactly where you're talking about, thanks!

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Lucked out on a new character last night while the server was down and got the White Ring for my petrified lump. Time to have some fun as a low-SM ratbro!

Does the Lingering Dragon Crest ring affect how long the toxic/corrosive/poison pyromancy "clouds" are active? Same with number of flame pillars, etc.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
uhh, is enemy extinction supposed to be temporary? I extincted all the lions in that one level but after coming back much later they're all back. Scared the hell out of me when I saw them thinking they were gone.

The only thing that would make a difference I can think of is that I killed them all off-line then came on-line later.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
So I went and fiddled with my stats a bit, got the Defender's Greatsword to Lightning +5, nabbed the Archdrake Chime, got IT to Lightning +10, and well, problem solved? I'm breezing through this poo poo now. Thanks for the tips goons.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Elysiume posted:

I don't understand how people can complain about the rat guys. You lose nothing but a bit of time if they kill you.

I don't like pvp. I don't like people wasting my time. It's annoying and it sucks that it isn't optional if you want to go through those areas while online.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Hi thread I'm way behind on posts but I just wanted to tell you that I have nearly wrapped up a no weapons run of Dark Souls 2. Holy Water Urns are ludicrously good.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't like pvp. I don't like people wasting my time. It's annoying and it sucks that it isn't optional if you want to go through those areas while online.

The entire area is optional and the only reason you'd go through there to begin with is to become a rat yourself

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
What precisely should I do with my Pursuers Ultra Greatsword?

I have 30 STR, 20 DEX, and 25 FTH at the moment.

Straight upgrades, or slap an infusion on there?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

That's pretty strange. I've done somewhere around 150 invasions at this point and not once have I ended up anywhere other than the zone is used the orb in.

Yeah the red cracked orbs invade the current area, blue cracked orbs can invade any place though. Thank god it can because there aren't enough sinners, most of the time it can't find someone to match me up with.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

FrancoFish posted:

So I went and fiddled with my stats a bit, got the Defender's Greatsword to Lightning +5, nabbed the Archdrake Chime, got IT to Lightning +10, and well, problem solved? I'm breezing through this poo poo now. Thanks for the tips goons.

Archdrake chime is pretty meh though, but good that you're doing better! :shobon:

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

Burn human effigies. They'll knock you offline for an hour. You can get stacks of them, enough to easily get you through the game. Also, PVP is pretty much only major in a few areas in the game, and you definitely do not need to be in the Grave of Saints or Door or Pharros for any reason but PVP.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Manatee Cannon posted:

This is really dumb complaint! There is no reason to go online if you don't want to fight anyone there, because you can't summon anyone to help. So there is literally no purpose to being online in ratbro areas except to fight someone. You really thought this one through champ!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Domattee posted:

The entire area is optional and the only reason you'd go through there to begin with is to become a rat yourself

Or if you want the boss souls, which are not optional at all if you want all the spells. There are one off spells in the areas, too. Plus, saying "oh it's optional" is an incredibly dumb way to think of it. Who skips areas?

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 7, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Rynex posted:

Burn human effigies. They'll knock you offline for an hour. You can get stacks of them, enough to easily get you through the game. Also, PVP is pretty much only major in a few areas in the game, and you definitely do not need to be in the Grave of Saints or Door or Pharros for any reason but PVP.

If you really want to loot doors of pharros you can just join the covenant, not only does it stop being summoned to other worlds but it disables enemy AI. You can keep summoning people if you kill the boss, too.

vvv Summoning people in the grave of saints isn't too bad. But in doors of pharros it's pretty much hopeless for the invader at certain spots, unless you go for a legit duel.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 7, 2014

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Domattee posted:

And some people like running around killing bosses and collecting loot.

But yeah I wished the rat/bell factions weren't so stacked against the one dude. Unless you've min/maxxed a character to tear through the fellas there for the cheap thrills.

That's my main complaint about the PvP with those factions. Its generally not a shred of fun for the victim when they're dealing with two gray phantoms. Or getting gangbanged by mobs when rat man is fishing for stabs.

Drakes fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 7, 2014

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Annath posted:

What precisely should I do with my Pursuers Ultra Greatsword?

I have 30 STR, 20 DEX, and 25 FTH at the moment.

Straight upgrades, or slap an infusion on there?

Each infusion basically upgrades the relevant stat by a percentage in some fashion.

There are some weapons where there is an "intended" infusion. Like, a sea of "25% upgrades" and suddenly on the Black Knight Greatsword Fire infusion is assigned a much better number.

Which honestly, to me, begs the question of why they even bothered with elemental infusions when there's obviously "intended" or "correct" paths.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Can you actually shut out bellboys in Luna by burning an effigy? I thought it only isolated the current area, and the sole Luna bonfire was past the gargoyles.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

PublicOpinion posted:

Can you actually shut out bellboys in Luna by burning an effigy? I thought it only isolated the current area, and the sole Luna bonfire was past the gargoyles.

No, the only way to avoid Bellboys is to be offline completely.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

PublicOpinion posted:

If it's anything like Sol you can't, that bonfire is before the area but you can't burn effigies in it.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

Tallgeese posted:

Each infusion basically upgrades the relevant stat by a percentage in some fashion.

There are some weapons where there is an "intended" infusion. Like, a sea of "25% upgrades" and suddenly on the Black Knight Greatsword Fire infusion is assigned a much better number.

Which honestly, to me, begs the question of why they even bothered with elemental infusions when there's obviously "intended" or "correct" paths.

The Burger King weapons have better fire infusion numbers because they already have intrinsic fire damage. I'm not sure off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure that's just the case for uninfused weapons that already deal an element naturally(like the Heide weapons with lightning).

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Mazed posted:

faux pas souls more like it.

I present my update Sorcerer.

Yeah. Look into the face of evil sirs. I grabbed the Staff of Wisdom, and immediately infused it with magic and upgraded it as much as I could for now (+3). People's faces are melting. MELTING!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Beard Yawn posted:

The Burger King weapons have better fire infusion numbers because they already have intrinsic fire damage. I'm not sure off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure that's just the case for uninfused weapons that already deal an element naturally(like the Heide weapons with lightning).

Let me explain more clearly.

In the code, the fire infusion itself is assigned a better return than all the other infusions for that particular weapon.

Every return an infusion gives you on a weapon is the product or quotient of one or two numbers being applied to the weapon's base stats. Each weapon has a set of individual numbers that determine what infusions do to their stats.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 8, 2014

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Drakes posted:

And some people like running around killing bosses and collecting loot.

But yeah I wished the rat/bell factions weren't so stacked against the one dude. Unless you've min/maxxed a character to tear through the fellas there for the cheap thrills.

That's my main complaint about the PvP with those factions. Its generally not a shred of fun for the victim when they're dealing with two gray phantoms. Or getting gangbanged by mobs when rat man is fishing for stabs.
As someone who is loving the Bellbro covenant, I agree. If the fight is going badly for me, its far too easy for me to just not engage for a few seconds and get a friend which basically results in a win for me. If they queued up two invasions but only let the second fire as soon as the first bellbro died (unless there was a white phantom involved) it'd be a more fun system for everyone, I think. If you want a 2v2, the invadee can bring a friend. If you want a 1v1, don't bring a friend. Then you get two 1v1s back to back, you still get your phantom-free rest period, and you get time to heal/prep between each bellbro.

Rat areas I care less about since you lose absolutely nothing at all for invading the rats.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
When is the earliest you can access the Throne Defender duo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Artificer posted:

When is the earliest you can access the Throne Defender duo?

Directly after Crypt. So 1M SM or 4 Big Bads + 3 areas.

E: Minimum of, 7 bosses, with a lot of OIK coop farm.