Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Does using a weapon buff (not infusion, magic weapon etc) alter the weapons scaling at all, or is it just a straight benefit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Nuebot posted:

So whats up with the bell covenent? After finishing up my no-death run I wanted to do all the covenents except I can't get any summons to defend the bell. I only have 1.3 million SM my SL is like 142. is my memory too low or too high?

You're a little on the low side for NG+ Bastille and way on the high side for NG Bastille.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

THE PWNER posted:

Does using a weapon buff (not infusion, magic weapon etc) alter the weapons scaling at all, or is it just a straight benefit?

It's a percentage of base damage.

God drat, the Belfry Gargoyles are hot bullshit when you're in the champion's covenant. I'm playing a dual caestus character and after you've done some damage on one of the gargoyles a 3rd one comes down and as you can imagine, fighting 3 of those assholes without a shield and sub optimal DPS is annoying as gently caress.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Orv posted:

You're a little on the low side for NG+ Bastille and way on the high side for NG Bastille.

And sol? I don't plan to go to NG+ yet though. How much too high am I for NG bastille?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I was getting summoned for Belfry Sol so much I could not progress in the level sometimes. I got summoned, finished the fight, went maybe 5', got summoned again. It's a good problem to have.

edit: I forgot to say my SM, whoops. 450k on NG.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 8, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011

Nuebot posted:

And sol? I don't plan to go to NG+ yet though. How much too high am I for NG bastille?

Sol I can't say for sure but I think most people do IK around 600-900K so you're also high that's the case. Bastille is considerably lower, 200-500K from what I've seen. If you get a few hundred thousand more souls you'll probably start getting pulled into NG+ Bastille.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Cool maybe I'll try bastille again later then, for now I seem to be occasionally getting the same few dudes trying to go through sol. This one guy must be real tired of getting poisoned in the face.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

cat doter posted:

It's a percentage of base damage.

God drat, the Belfry Gargoyles are hot bullshit when you're in the champion's covenant. I'm playing a dual caestus character and after you've done some damage on one of the gargoyles a 3rd one comes down and as you can imagine, fighting 3 of those assholes without a shield and sub optimal DPS is annoying as gently caress.

That's not a covenant thing, they just spawn as they hit certain amounts of health. The first time I tried I didn't kill them fast enough and ended up with 4 gargoyles attacking me at once.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
It's dumb, but I like being a pretty butterfly. Just don't accidentally kill NPCs when you are one.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I will never know why guard break breaks your guard, when you are not guarding.

In PvP I try to punish guard breaks by rolling behind them but I always get caught by it and then it's an instant kill. From :psyduck:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Kimmalah posted:

That's not a covenant thing, they just spawn as they hit certain amounts of health. The first time I tried I didn't kill them fast enough and ended up with 4 gargoyles attacking me at once.

Strangely this isn't as terrible as it sounds because if three of them are below half health they'll almost all start breathing fire so you just run around like a maniac and take swings of opportunity while dodging the one gargoyle who isn't cowering behind flame breath.

Sihastru
May 17, 2007
How dare I write anything here ?
so there's nothing in the OP but is there a decent fix for us keyboard&mouse players yet?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Sihastru posted:

so there's nothing in the OP but is there a decent fix for us keyboard&mouse players yet?

Could you tell me what the issue is? I'm curious, I've only ever used a pad for this game.

Weremacht
Nov 4, 2002

THE ONLY THING THAT TURNS ME ON MORE THAN A MONKEY IN A FURRY SUIT IS SPOILING PLOTS

Bobnumerotres posted:

I will never know why guard break breaks your guard, when you are not guarding.

In PvP I try to punish guard breaks by rolling behind them but I always get caught by it and then it's an instant kill. From :psyduck:

hey have you tried punishing guardbreaks by slowly walking backwards since FROM decided that they will make every avenue available to a player to chase down a fleeing target is hot loving garbage

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.
Can someone confirm if the Poison Imbue actually inflicts the status, or just adds poison elemental damage to your weapon?

I'm thinking it's the former since I've never seen my Poison Old Whip actually poison anyone.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

THE PWNER posted:

Yeah the way I've been playing the game is basically "run past 10 enemies, use bonfire. Run past 10 enemies, fight boss. Run past 10 enemies, use bonfire. Run past 10 more enemies, fight another boss."

I know you could run by stuff in DS1 too, but that's not my complaint. My complaint is that there's too many bosses and not enough between them.

No Man's Wharf, the Gutter, and the very short archer lava area in Iron Keep before smelter were the only non-boss areas that took me more than 3 minutes to complete/run through. What's in Black Gulch? I couldn't tell you, I got to the bonfire then ran to the boss and killed him. This took about 3 minutes.

Like, I'm not going to tell you how to play, but if you find yourself running around without engaging any enemies and you find it boring, well, maybe you shouldn't play that way.

Personally I enjoy the in-between-bonfires sections, they're a lot more intense than the previous game's. Minus some longer areas like the ones you mentioned, Dark Souls 2 has a clear checkpoint-ish style that I just can't fault.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sihastru posted:

Create an autohotkey script, which can be difficult and annoying but w/e:

Mine is as follows if you want to use it but it'll only work if you have 5 mouse buttons (also I never did figure out how to get the active window thing to work so you'll need to use a hotkey to activate it).

quote:

^p::

toggle := !toggle

return

#if toggle

~*LButton::h

~*RButton::g

~*XButton1::u

~*XButton2::y

~*MButton::
SetKeyDelay, 0, 30
Send {Blind}{o}
return

WheelDown::
Send {L down} ;
Sleep 200 ;
Send {L up} ;
return

WheelUp::
Send {J down} ;
Sleep 200 ;
Send {J up} ;
return

#if

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hit ng++ today for those last few spells I need. First run took about six hours to get through the Forest of Fallen Giants. Second took about five to kill Lost Sinner. Third took about half an hour to do the same. Crazy how fast you can go when you know where to go and aren't trying to pick stuff up. I could have gone faster, too but I wanted to set up the NPCs for boss fights later. Though a invader in Heide's kinda ruined my thoughts on going for the no death run, (s)he invaded and teleport stabbed me in my no fun haver Haval armor. We ended up killing each other in the end, so Pyrrhic victory is mine I guess. I was also shocked to find the Skeleton Lords could survive a Sunlight Spear to the face, even if only barely. I actually ran out of estus in that fight because of the bonewheels stunlocking me and barely won. About an hour in and I've hit Earthen Peak, I think I could get to Drangleic in under two if I really book it. The super pigs in Brightstone scare the poo poo out of me, though.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Weremacht posted:

hey have you tried punishing guardbreaks by slowly walking backwards since FROM decided that they will make every avenue available to a player to chase down a fleeing target is hot loving garbage

The problem is if I step back lag will go "You didn't step back! You just sat there and got slapped!" and I die, if I roll behind them at least there's a chance the game will work as intended and I get a big free backstab.

But there's a bigger chance the game will decide that guard break has a 10 foot 360 attack range gently caress

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 8, 2014

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Does bleed on weapons scale to attack speed? As in, should I put bleed on a fast weapon or does it not matter? I want to slap bleed on my katana. Or poison, really.

edit: I got no bleedstone, but I did get a Demon's Great Hammer (off of the smallest type of stone) and an Old Whip.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 8, 2014

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

It looks like the spell chameleon has rare easter egg things it can turn you into. I've been using it a LOT lately and in the shrine of amana i just turned into one of the huge fisticuffs mushrooms from DS1. I've never seen that before despite casting it hundreds of times in that area alone. Anyone know if there's any other goofy chameleon transformations?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

tip: If you're not interested in being a blue sentinel, never use the white sign soapstone. Use the small one. You get a smooth and silky stone instead of a worthless token of fidelity for winning, as well as all of the other benefits of doing your duty (humanity, full repair, souls).

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

GatewayOfLastResort posted:

Can someone confirm if the Poison Imbue actually inflicts the status, or just adds poison elemental damage to your weapon?

I'm thinking it's the former since I've never seen my Poison Old Whip actually poison anyone.

Oh it definitely inflicts the status. I've been terrorizing the low soul memory bell tower with poison weapons for the last couple of days. Poison caestuses are fun, and I just recently made a character who got dual mytha's blades since they'll theoretically inflict toxic. In practice, I think the hosts die long before they actually get toxiced, but they definitely get poisoned.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I got my 100 Bellcop kills on my legitimate character pretty much exclusively with dark fog + batstaff. No one is prepared for that. I saw one (literally one) person use an antidote. It got better whenever I was fighting two people at once, because you can poison both of them. Host circling around a red phantom? WHOOPS YOU'RE BOTH DEAD.

After they're lit up, you can switch to whatever weapon is funniest, because they have to fight on your terms--if they run away to heal, just run them down and kill them. And if they stand and fight--well, have fun with it! They've got about eight seconds before poison + occasional clip from whatever dumbass weapon you're using kills them.

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.

Dirk the Average posted:

Oh it definitely inflicts the status. I've been terrorizing the low soul memory bell tower with poison weapons for the last couple of days. Poison caestuses are fun, and I just recently made a character who got dual mytha's blades since they'll theoretically inflict toxic. In practice, I think the hosts die long before they actually get toxiced, but they definitely get poisoned.

Fair enough, I've probably just killed them before it took effect or dark fogged them to poison them anyway.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
So that's Ancient Dragon and Vendrick both out of the way. The latter demanded some serious dodge perfection from me. After multiple attempts, I was able to kill him with no hits taken, which as a caster, seems like the best option. My knight had a much easier time and did it first or second try. Havel's stability allows for -some- blocking.

Those fights are hard and could easily be considered unfair. They definitely don't allow for many mistakes. I felt pretty good after conquering both of them though. Darklurker was a pretty fun and challenging fight. It was like fighting myself. Well, my all-mage is finally ready to join my knight in NG+, here we a-go. Fireballs, lasers, lightning, and hexes for erryone.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Jay Rust posted:

Like, I'm not going to tell you how to play, but if you find yourself running around without engaging any enemies and you find it boring, well, maybe you shouldn't play that way.

Personally I enjoy the in-between-bonfires sections, they're a lot more intense than the previous game's. Minus some longer areas like the ones you mentioned, Dark Souls 2 has a clear checkpoint-ish style that I just can't fault.

I'm playing the game that way *because* of the checkpoint feeling. Killing 5 dudes in between bonfires is a lot less exciting than making a 15 minute long trek between bonfires and trying to balance your supplies. I don't like it, so I avoid it.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

THE PWNER posted:

I'm playing the game that way *because* of the checkpoint feeling. Killing 5 dudes in between bonfires is a lot less exciting than making a 15 minute long trek between bonfires and trying to balance your supplies. I don't like it, so I avoid it.

Could always do no a bonfire run or skip a bonfire and just light the next one.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

THE PWNER posted:

That must really suck with equipment durability being what it is. Do you just keep the Repair spell on tap at all times?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Jamfrost posted:

Could you tell me what the issue is? I'm curious, I've only ever used a pad for this game.
A lot of people report that the mouse buttons have a delay. Pressing the keyboard attack keys has your character respond immediatly, while attacking via the mouse buttons has your character wait fraction of a second before starting the attack animation.
Another, even bigger problem is that in the controls you can assign actions to not only left and right click, but also to double-clicking, holding shift + clicking, etc. If you assign "nothing" to for example double-click, the game will literally interpret this as you wanting to do nothing when it registers a double-click.
So if you mash the mouse button because you panic or just want to chain a lot of attacks, your character will just stand there.

A simple autohotkey script that binds the mouse buttons to the keyboard attack keys fixes both issues.

The Iron Rose posted:

Create an autohotkey script, which can be difficult and annoying but w/e:
Mine is as follows if you want to use it but it'll only work if you have 5 mouse buttons (also I never did figure out how to get the active window thing to work so you'll need to use a hotkey to activate it).

code:
#IfWinActive, ahk_class DarkSouls2 
{

}
You'll probably still want a hotkey that suspends the script in case you want to use the steam overlay.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 09:36 on May 8, 2014

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Nuebot posted:

I still get occasional hits in NG Luna at 2m SM. More frequent at Sol, though.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I kind of feel like the level design was more consistent in DS1. On pretty much every level, once you had gotten through it and maybe unlocked shortcuts you had a quick link to the boss. You weren't forced to put up with ambush after ambush once you reached the boss because hey, you've already conquered it all.

That's why I just skip large sections of the game when I can. Not a whole lot of fun to carefully fight multiple lion warriors every single time, but then it's like the enemies are just there to look pretty.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah bat plus fog is hilarious. They immediately go into defensive mode

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Nuebot posted:

So whats up with the bell covenent? After finishing up my no-death run I wanted to do all the covenents except I can't get any summons to defend the bell. I only have 1.3 million SM my SL is like 142. is my memory too low or too high?

Guessing high. I'm 130 and before I upleveled I could get hits aroudn 100-110+ or so. Pretty sparse now. I think you gotta remember unless you are going out of your way to PVP in the bell people are probably going to do it around the level they get into the keep. Ditto Belfry Luna which is way earlier in the game

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Blue Flame is mostly best for a silly gimmick where you cast Crystal Magic Weapon on your +5 Magic Blue Flame and suddenly have the best sorcery catalyst in the game.

For cool points, cast Soul Greatsword through it.

Waaaaaaait a minute.

...WHAT?!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Man Licia was actually very hard to kill with her WoG spamming and incessant healing. eventually said gently caress it and hexed the poo poo out of her, which took awhile and a lot of souls but worked out.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

LemonAIDS posted:

It looks like the spell chameleon has rare easter egg things it can turn you into. I've been using it a LOT lately and in the shrine of amana i just turned into one of the huge fisticuffs mushrooms from DS1. I've never seen that before despite casting it hundreds of times in that area alone. Anyone know if there's any other goofy chameleon transformations?

Oh lord if I could be a mushroom and punch everybody I would

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

Man Licia was actually very hard to kill with her WoG spamming and incessant healing. eventually said gently caress it and hexed the poo poo out of her, which took awhile and a lot of souls but worked out.

Yeah, she's no joke. After dying to her twice I decided to change up my tactics and stunlock her. Her poise is poo poo so every time she tries to start a cast I'd smack her out of it. Couldn't do much anything at that point.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ironically DEX is good against her I found on my PS3 run. Most Dark Spirits in general just dont know wtf to do when you get em in a combo chain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah, she's no joke. After dying to her twice I decided to change up my tactics and stunlock her. Her poise is poo poo so every time she tries to start a cast I'd smack her out of it. Couldn't do much anything at that point.

I tried that for awhile but didn't have quite enough stamina with my dual maces.