Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mordaedil posted:

I would have thought it got removed because it would drive their servers into the ground.

Probably actually this but admitting you're using lovely pissy pants baby technology and not real man big boy servers would make people stay away from the game.

All I know is taking out any possible sniper areas and destroying a building just to take out a single person is the best thing. Destroyable environments really add a ton to a game, because there are no set areas where to place poo poo or required choke points.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 09:33 on May 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Then suddenly:

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

The Taint Reaper posted:

All I know is taking out any possible sniper areas

At this point I'm of the opinion that unless there are either no sniper weapons, or they are not hitscan (and actually require work to use) I don't play fps games.

I hate snipers. gently caress that aspect of fps games.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Taint Reaper posted:

It really kinda sucks that Activision went on record saying they could add fully destructible environments like Red Faction and Battlefield but said that having walls get destroyed and grounds being turned into craters would ruin the competitive aspect.

Competitive E-Sports gaming always ensures the fun stuff gets removed.

Hahaha using competitive COD as their out instead of admitting its a poo poo engine.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
If anything, you would think it would add to the competitiveness.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I don't know if this will translate to something to be shown at E3, but Nintendo's CEO Iwata points at the idea of building new hardware created from scratch for the "emerging markets".

quote:

Nintendo has resisted making its games available on smartphones because it doesn’t see a sustainable way to make money in a business with such boom-and-bust cycles, said Iwata, who has been president since 2002. Making products specifically for emerging markets is a change for the company, which until now has sold the same products globally.

“We want to make new things, with new thinking rather than a cheaper version of what we currently have,” Iwata said in Tokyo today. “The product and price balance must be made from scratch.”

Also no games on smartphones, and I can't blame them after seeing the pictures of FFVI on iOS.

quote:

“Our games such as Mario and Zelda are designed for our game machines so if we transfer them into smartphones as they are, customers won’t be satisfied,” said Iwata. “If customers aren’t satisfied with the experience, it will decrease the value of our content.”

So, a new 100$ device which will have a common base with a future 200$ handheld and the next gen home console?
Ouya completely failed, PSVita did not soar (even if it was :airquote:succesful:airquote: if we compare it with Ouya), MadCatz's Mojo was only seen last E3 (and maybe it wasn't even 100$) and we never knew where Bluestack's Gamepop has gone...

limaCAT fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 8, 2014

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Finally, the third pillar. I'm guessing a Nintendo branded tablet. Breaking the Wii U tablet off into its own device.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Harlock posted:

Finally, the third pillar. I'm guessing a Nintendo branded tablet. Breaking the Wii U tablet off into its own device.

Probably that device will also double as a Wii U tablet, and I think that would be nice if it means having a Wii U SKU that costs even less than it does now, but I doubt that device will be based on the Wii U tablet itself.

The Wii U tablet is the video equivalent of a graphical terminal[1], it just has a video decoder and gets the video feed directly from the console via wi-fi[2], it does not carry its own ram/cpu for processing (or even if it does it's not adequate for gaming, and it's not supposed to do that).

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_terminal#Graphical_terminals, the main difference between the WiiU tablet and a "raster" graphical terminal is that the old unix type raster terminals were sent bitmaps with the coordinates to update, while Wii U is fed a continuous full screen video stream.
[2] http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/gamepad/0/0

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
Oh good it's time for the Eurovision of video games. I can't wait to see the highlights (because gently caress watching the whole thing). I wish they had Joel McHale but gamers are hilarious crybabies and can't actually take a joke.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

SBJ posted:

I can't wait to see the highlights (because gently caress watching the whole thing).

Casual gamer!!!

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
I would like to watch a 24/7 stream of the doritos pope hyping me up constantly about the big video games during the big video game conference in the only country that matters

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Captain Matchbox posted:

I would like to watch a 24/7 stream of the doritos pope hyping me up constantly about the big video games during the big video game conference in the only country that matters

If you actually do that you will end up like this ->

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

I for one hope Volition uses that destruction engine from RF: Guerrilla in something again.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Captain Matchbox posted:

For now gametrailers is doing a "30 days of e3" thing, maybe geoff keighley will show up at some point and drop some dope product placement inside of the 3 minute ad for a video game

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/etv8rt/alien--isolation-what-to-expect-from-alien--isolation

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
nah, i just want doritos pope to be followed around with a camera for 48 hours or so, unscripted and candid, no sleep. if he had to take a dump he could use that time wisely to talk about titanfall 2 and maybe joke about 'dropping a titan'.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Captain Matchbox posted:

nah, i just want doritos pope to be followed around with a camera for 48 hours or so, unscripted and candid, no sleep. if he had to take a dump he could use that time wisely to talk about titanfall 2 and maybe joke about 'dropping a titan'.

That moment with Joel at the VGX was pretty much the most unscripted he's ever been. Assuming he really was getting pissed when Joel asked him if he was actually going to play and enjoy the games he showcased there and it wasn't some scripted joke.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

That moment with Joel at the VGX was pretty much the most unscripted he's ever been. Assuming he really was getting pissed when Joel asked him if he was actually going to play and enjoy the games he showcased there and it wasn't some scripted joke.

Keighley has never and will never play a video game in his life.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I can't wait to (please) understand.

I hope SEGA has a conference and makes themselves look like complete fools.

Also I feel really bad for Doritospope. His eyes look sad and it looks like his soul isn't there anymore. I can't help but wonder what happened? Aside from him working in vidya games that is.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
This E3 is going to be really weird with three major developers that are all perceived to be underperforming and none of them know why. Who can guess what kind of wacky video game poo poo is gonna happen.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

This E3 is going to be really weird with three major developers that are all perceived to be underperforming and none of them know why. Who can guess what kind of wacky video game poo poo is gonna happen.

Nintendo, MS.. who's the third?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Doflamingo posted:

Nintendo, MS.. who's the third?

Sony. The Playstation is doing fine but the rest of the company ain't doing so hot.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

1stGear posted:

Sony. The Playstation is doing fine but the rest of the company ain't doing so hot.

Sony shot themselves in the foot by not pushing the PS4 to 4k spec to then help push their 4k TVs

e: PS4k... good god, it was staring them right in the goddamned face

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

scary ghost dog posted:

Not sure how 2014 will turn out, but here is video gaming in 2015:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMy1zO8m8sM

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Mercury Crusader posted:

Not sure how 2014 will turn out, but here is video gaming in 2015:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMy1zO8m8sM

"You mean you have to use your hands?"

Gaming in 2015:

BttF2 is probably the smartest sci-fi movie ever made

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Nintendo's big E3 reveal: a Skylanders knockoff

That doesn't actually sound terrible, provided these games / figurines aren't as absurdly priced as Skylanders and Disney Infinity are.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

A reminder, something dumb about unreal tournament is being announced here:

http://www.twitch.tv/UnrealEngine

VR is in the title too

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

A reminder, something dumb about unreal tournament is being announced here:

http://www.twitch.tv/UnrealEngine

VR is in the title too

I want an Oculus Rift Unreal Tournament purely so I can watch YouTube superstars vomit out their intestines from motion sickness.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

raditts posted:

That doesn't actually sound terrible, provided these games / figurines aren't as absurdly priced as Skylanders and Disney Infinity are.

That would defeat the whole purpose of skylanders

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Haha the announcement is a F2P unreal tournament, get ready to dew up your arenas with crunch-blast DLC energy packs

They say it will be without microtransactions but. it's E3 season

ohhh they saw how valve was making money and said WE WANT, WE WANT

quote:

Fans with an Unreal Engine 4 subscription can participate in the crowdsourced development the next Unreal Tournament, with fan-created mods playing an integral role in its life post-launch. Epic intends to create a marketplace where creators can give away or sell their custom content. Epic's cut from those sales is what will pay for the game.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 8, 2014

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
But is it going to be more like UT3 or 2k4 that's the question.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

mcvey posted:

But is it going to be more like UT3 or 2k4 that's the question.

Its gonna be real bad.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

All you need to know about community modding nowadays is to go to fpsbanana and see what brilliant creations they come up with. 99% of it is minecraft maps for counterstrike. A lot of UT's content is going to be made by the community, ergo....

E3-quality hair spotted

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 8, 2014

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
This is so awkward.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Smurf Newell

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

gently caress off forever gimmick devices. VR is going to die faster then motion controls.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

All you need to know about community modding nowadays is to go to fpsbanana and see what brilliant creations they come up with. 99% of it is minecraft maps for counterstrike. A lot of UT's content is going to be made by the community, ergo....

E3-quality hair spotted

i remember when you could load up like unreal planet and download community map packs or random user maps and they would usually be decent. i guess those same guys that made those are actually working for game companies now or hustling on kickstarter.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I'm definitely ok with the success of skylanders even though I never played it and never will. It just feels good to know the dudes who made star control 2 finally got rewarded. Sad to know they have no drive at all to do another star control, even though they surely have the money for it now.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Famous TV Dad posted:

i remember when you could load up like unreal planet and download community map packs or random user maps and they would usually be decent. i guess those same guys that made those are actually working for game companies now or hustling on kickstarter.

No, it's been long enough that they got hired in the industry, chewed up by its abusive nature, and spat out again in a standard round of layoffs following the release of the game they worked on which means that they've moved on to do something else with their lives.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

shin megami tensei X fire emblem pls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Isn't Epic making tons of money from the Unreal engine anyway?
Maybe the problem they are trying to address is to introduce new blood to the Unreal Engine since the amateur community behind it was bigger in the days of UT99/UT2004.

I said come in! posted:

gently caress off forever gimmick devices. VR is going to die faster then motion controls.

:hf:

• Locked thread