Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013

Everyone at Chucklefish is moving their poo poo to England's green and pleasant land. Check back in another month when they've maybe gotten around to patching content. Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
They changed how combat works you know...

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Picked this up today, and I've already got the pulse jump and moved to another planet! :toot:

What's a good level of preparedness for taking on the first boss? I'm playing an Avian and I'm working on the helmet and greaves for the armor, but I'm really not sure what the baseline is.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Picked this up today, and I've already got the pulse jump and moved to another planet! :toot:

What's a good level of preparedness for taking on the first boss? I'm playing an Avian and I'm working on the helmet and greaves for the armor, but I'm really not sure what the baseline is.

Got an iron bow? You're set.

No, really. That's all you need. A gun would be better, but the first boss has been toned down DRAMATICALLY since the early stages of the beta. It's no harder than one of those giant boss monsters.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Welp, the Ammo Overhaul got pulled from the mod database and the creator quit/was banned. Soooo... poo poo.

Still up here though.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

dog kisser posted:

Welp, the Ammo Overhaul got pulled from the mod database and the creator quit/was banned. Soooo... poo poo.

Still up here though.

Yeah, dude was upset about something?? and leaked the private conversations he had with Mollygos as well as the contract (which I think might've been confidential?) he signed regarding integrating his mod into the base game on 4chan or something, and then decided to leak it on the forums with a post saying how he's leaving the official forums.

15yearoldmodders.txt

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Babyface Mingo posted:

Yeah, dude was upset about something?? and leaked the private conversations he had with Mollygos as well as the contract (which I think might've been confidential?) he signed regarding integrating his mod into the base game on 4chan or something, and then decided to leak it on the forums with a post saying how he's leaving the official forums.

15yearoldmodders.txt

He straight up had a contract saying 'yeah dude your mod is legit going into the real game' and decided they were taking too long to add it and flipped out and broke his NDA. Excellent.

edit: Also in his 'leaving' post he posted a PM chain between him and Mollygos (Community Manager) where he went off on them for being unprofessional and she's like 'welp I can tell you for sure your mod isn't part of the game' and he says 'I'm sorry to hear that - could I get an explanation why?'

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Haha that is awesome. :v:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Shoehead posted:

Haha that is awesome. :v:

On the upside: the Skellies are bumped one notch higher in top mod ranking! :unsmigghh:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Good grief. This is, what, the second, third person to have an NDA and a great deal with the Starbound team, then to break it and throw it all away? And then get pissed when breaking said NDA ends up having actual consequences? Man, I feel bad for Chucklefish, they're trying to get some real community involvement going but so much of their community is terrible.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Babyface Mingo posted:

15yearoldmodders.txt
Is the modder in question really <18? Cause that's wouldn't be a legally binding contract anyways...

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

peepsalot posted:

Is the modder in question really <18? Cause that's wouldn't be a legally binding contract anyways...

Funny you should mention that - there's another mod that was slated to be added to the game, but one of the devs mentioned that it couldn't be added due to "issues with including things legally due to the authors age", which leads me to believe that the Ammo guy may be of age but a little spergy.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

dog kisser posted:

Welp, the Ammo Overhaul got pulled from the mod database and the creator quit/was banned. Soooo... poo poo. Still up here though.
What, no whiny update on :nexus:? Wherever shall I go for amusement?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I hope this doesn't stop Chucklefish from adding similar functionality into the game anyway. I am sure it is well within their rights to do so.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Jackard posted:

What, no whiny update on :nexus:? Wherever shall I go for amusement?

why is that an emote

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

why is that an emote

Why do you think?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

why is that an emote

:iiapa:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

why is that an emote
Someone bought it for the nexus phone. Conveniently it also applies to the nexus website!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jackard posted:

Someone bought it for the nexus phone. Conveniently it also applies to the nexus website!

Hahaha, I thought it was for the nexus website, didn't know there was a phone honestly.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

In retrospect, the reason why is pretty obvious.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Shoehead posted:

They changed how combat works you know...

That's actually live? I thought it was a coming feature. Back to Starbounding for me.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
I've been out since before the last big patch/after the last big wipe. Is there a server address for Goon World?

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

Sedisp posted:

That's actually live? I thought it was a coming feature. Back to Starbounding for me.

You have to enable the unstable version though, check their FAQ on the how

VotGs
Dec 15, 2003

Don't mind me.
If there is anything about Starbound that makes me not want to play at all, it's the community. Holy Christ, I could throttle the lot of them.

Other than that, I'm satisfied with the progress of the game so far....

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

dog kisser posted:

He straight up had a contract saying 'yeah dude your mod is legit going into the real game' and decided they were taking too long to add it and flipped out and broke his NDA. Excellent.

edit: Also in his 'leaving' post he posted a PM chain between him and Mollygos (Community Manager) where he went off on them for being unprofessional and she's like 'welp I can tell you for sure your mod isn't part of the game' and he says 'I'm sorry to hear that - could I get an explanation why?'

Yeah, I was just reading up on this. What the hell? What does it matter how long it's taking? If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen.

Also reading on reddit with how he's trying to justify himself is pretty drat sad.

http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/251u7t/the_ammo_overhaul_mod_just_got_cancelled/chcw6kt <-- Like seriously, what is this supposed to mean.

Zaa Boogie fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 9, 2014

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Has anyone got a link to the contract he put up? I'd be curious to read it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Wait, Chucklefish isn't pursuing legal action? Damnit. :(

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Ammo overhaul was that pretty cool gun mod right? Hopefully someone well adjusted starts doing something like it.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

Zaa Boogie posted:

Yeah, I was just reading up on this. What the hell? What does it matter how long it's taking? If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen.

Also reading on reddit with how he's trying to justify himself is pretty drat sad.

http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/251u7t/the_ammo_overhaul_mod_just_got_cancelled/chcw6kt <-- Like seriously, what is this supposed to mean.

I feel sorry for that kid, he obviously knows he's completely blown a great opportunity and is now trying to stuff the magic back up the snowman's rear end.

Loxbourne posted:

Has anyone got a link to the contract he put up? I'd be curious to read it.

I would assume it was a standard work submission type contract. You won't sell this work to anyone else, it is something you created and not work copied you are selling to us, you agree to give us full control over this; that sort of thing

Bitter Beard fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 9, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't, he's a loving moron.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
He took a golden opportunity and threw it away, seemingly forgetting that a non-disclosure agreement means, well, you don't disclose any information about it.

He should just be thankful that Chucklefish didn't threaten legal action for him violating the terms of the contract.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

IAmTheRad posted:

He took a golden opportunity and threw it away, seemingly forgetting that a non-disclosure agreement means, well, you don't disclose any information about it.

He should just be thankful that Chucklefish didn't threaten legal action for him violating the terms of the contract.

I wonder, if Chucklefish wanted to include his mod, could they still do it?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lobsterpillar posted:

I wonder, if Chucklefish wanted to include his mod, could they still do it?

I'm pretty sure they could and give him nothing. I'm pretty sure that if you make a mod for any game, the game creator of that game actually owns that mod regardless and anything they do above just flat out adding it without telling you is pretty much them doing something nice for you.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

IANAL, but I think that depends entirely on the terms of service. Like, if you made original art and modded that into their game, I'm willing to bet you'd still own that art.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

The Lord of Hats posted:

In addition to what people have said, if you find a bunch of bombs, those are super useful as they do a TON of damage to the first boss. I think you can take it down in about six direct hits, but I'd pack 12-15 to be safe.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

IAmTheRad posted:

Oh god. I read that and jesus loving wept. He'd done it. He'd literally stepped up that ladder rung that *every* mod maker secretly hopes for. He'd gone from making a modification, to DEVELOPING ON THE loving GAME.

Everybody who mods games secretly wishes this would happen. I know it. I don't even know how to mod games and I wish that'd happen.

And he pissed it away because he couldn't ask questions, couldn't be patient, and couldn't follow a loving NDA.

I don't know whether I should laugh or cry.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

mutata posted:

IANAL, but I think that depends entirely on the terms of service. Like, if you made original art and modded that into their game, I'm willing to bet you'd still own that art.

Yeah, ianal either but when it comes to standard implementations of an api - like the Json config files - its probably hard to claim copyright if they have even the smallest variation. Art, audio, text is different, but they have people that can redo that.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 9, 2014

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Well at least we know some of our goon modders are probably on contract too. You guys are great.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Well, I've spent about twenty times as long on my first villager's house as I did my own (a hideous dirt pyramid built out of the house of a dead guy), but I'm pretty happy with the result. (Also I am bad at screenshots).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
That dude (Wurmheart) was part of the group of users that were literally trembling with rage and simply angry over the fact Tiy would post about how he's trying to get all the developers relocated to the UK, or about how they didn't exactly follow up on their multiple updates per week or whatever. poo poo's funny, just let it chill in your Steam Library and check back on it every other month or so. Overall, the drama with the Starbound Community has just been really entertaining and pretty decent at weeding out spergs and fucktards. Too bad the devs have to deal with it tho.

^^ that's a p. dope house.

• Locked thread