Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

limaCAT posted:

Isn't Epic making tons of money from the Unreal engine anyway?

Not since AAAs started dying on the vine and Unity started raping them

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/03/19/unreal-engine-4-new-payment-model/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Quest For Glory II posted:

All you need to know about community modding nowadays is to go to fpsbanana and see what brilliant creations they come up with. 99% of it is minecraft maps for counterstrike. A lot of UT's content is going to be made by the community, ergo....

E3-quality hair spotted

Senior Designer Senior Programmer?

Man I feel so old now.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

More poo poo announced for E3:

Killing Floor 2, which currently looks like an xbox 360 launch game

Sunset Overdrive, which looks like a bland Dead Rising in a really colorful candy shell, whose developers promise constantly updated "pop culture-relevant content like memes"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMnjoqr5glk

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

That's good, considering the first one looks as good as quake 3 arena

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Any bets on which youtube superstar is going to be reveal to have done voice work for Sunset Overdrive this E3?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Yeah weird that killing floor isn't on the bleeding edge of technology, you expect more from a company that has like 10 developers and zero budget.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
PC games just can't handle all that 1080p and 60 fps content like consoles PS4. PC Failure Race :smuggo:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Killing Floor was great, Killing Floor 2 should also be great, who cares what it looks like

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

limaCAT posted:

Isn't Epic making tons of money from the Unreal engine anyway?
Maybe the problem they are trying to address is to introduce new blood to the Unreal Engine since the amateur community behind it was bigger in the days of UT99/UT2004.

Unreal Engine 4 seems to perform pretty poorly, although it's hard to tell what's the fault of the developer, since it's probably not the most optimised game.

They did have the elemental tech demo on both the PC and PS4, so maybe that's a better benchmark for how games will look on it in the future. Has it been used for anything on the Xbox One yet?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Everything's eventually going to just look like Minecraft anyway.

Sunset Overdrive, which looks like a bland Dead Rising in a really colorful candy shell, whose developers promise constantly updated "pop culture-relevant content like memes"

Tapping into the memes huh. It's about time those t-shirt kiosks in the mall got a taste of competition. Someone somewhere is going to pay money to be a cat macro in a video game and I can't wait for this exciting future.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Man what the hell happened to insomniac.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

holy poo poo the main character's design :eyepop:

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Trail of Cum®

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I can't get over how the voice over says "mature third person shooter" in the first 15 seconds. I'm looking at the game and I wonder if I've fallen into another dimension where things don't mean things.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Mr. Pumroy posted:

I can't get over how the voice over says "mature third person shooter" in the first 15 seconds. I'm looking at the game and I wonder if I've fallen into another dimension where things don't mean things.

Mature as in what redditors and "90's kids" think is mature, since that is who they're appealing to.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Everything's eventually going to just look like Minecraft anyway.

Tapping into the memes huh. It's about time those t-shirt kiosks in the mall got a taste of competition. Someone somewhere is going to pay money to be a cat macro in a video game and I can't wait for this exciting future.

Memes are big business now. There's an entire section on the Xbox 360 avatar marketplace for you to dress up as your favorite meme.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Trail of Cum®

If you are right you found Xbone's Secret Sauce.
If you are wrong that's just the CPU thermal paste.
:allears:

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

limaCAT posted:

If you are right you found Xbone's Secret Sauce.
If you are wrong that's just the CPU thermal paste.
:allears:

what else would be coming out of the generic cgi dudes shirt?

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 8, 2014

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Memes are big business now. There's an entire section on the Xbox 360 avatar marketplace for you to dress up as your favorite meme.

:eyepop: More like XBox Won.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

The Droid posted:

Man what the hell happened to insomniac.

One of the devs on GAF has been talking about how Sony is an overall-lovely company to work under in terms of them keeping all the rights over all of your IP, all while you're expected to keep it the star exclusive at their wish, even if it means forcing an oversaturated series to get a new game of declining-originality every year. RIP in peace Ratchet & Clank

If it's stupid as poo poo in a Bulletstorm way with a revitalized Insomniac doing it, it could be cool, or suck huge cocks, I dunno if this means Insomniac is on everyone's literally-Hitler list now because they're making a Microsoft exclusive

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

i cannot wait for next gen respawning

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

One of the devs on GAF has been talking about how Sony is an overall-lovely company to work under in terms of them keeping all the rights over all of your IP, all while you're expected to keep it the star exclusive at their wish, even if it means forcing an oversaturated series to get a new game of declining-originality every year. RIP in peace Ratchet & Clank

If it's stupid as poo poo in a Bulletstorm way with a revitalized Insomniac doing it, it could be cool, or suck huge cocks, I dunno if this means Insomniac is on everyone's literally-Hitler list now because they're making a Microsoft exclusive

I just meant a perceived general decline, didn't they make some failed co-op shooter a year or two ago?

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

Weird to complain about making new R&C's and then make an open world R&C.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They made a game that was called Overstrike at one E3 and was like a comedy co-op game, and then the next time it resurfaced it was made into a serious COD game called Fuse, that tanked and was panned universally.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

They made a game that was called Overstrike at one E3 and was like a comedy co-op game, and then the next time it resurfaced it was made into a serious COD game called Fuse, that tanked and was panned universally.

Thinking back, wasn't that EA's fault?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Thinking back, wasn't that EA's fault?
They claimed that it was their decision, so either EA forced it and they're pushovers, or they just have really bad intuition.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Who gives a poo poo what it looks like? It's more Killing Floor, and I loving love me some KF. Any visual improvement over the original is welcome, but is only the cherry on the cake that is more KF.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'm pretty hyped for Killing Floor 2.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Even if Nintendo unveils a Retro Studios developed HD Zelda and The Last Guardian gets resurrected it still won't be enough to save E3 and the video game industry from failure.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
I don't think they could have found a more nerdy "omnipotent voice of insomniac"

Oh boy insomniac is really strutting their creative stuff with character designs like "mutant with glowy orange parts" and "bigger mutants with glowy orange parts"

edit - the cum trail is there even when the dude walks around slowly.

Macksy fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 9, 2014

Crusty Juggler
Mar 26, 2009

spasticColon posted:

Even if Nintendo unveils a Retro Studios developed HD Zelda and The Last Guardian gets resurrected it still won't be enough to save E3 and the video game industry from failure.

Fortunately Killing Floor 2, an actual Good And Fun Game just got announced, so it doesn't actually need saving anymore.

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
On paper, an Insomniac produced third person shooter that combined the open levels, near future cartoony aesthetic, and fluid movement of Jet Grind Radio with the wacky weapons, shooting, and general irreverence of Ratchet & Clank actually sounds pretty awesome.

That trailer though, ugh. For every one "kinda cool" it got out of me there were three things that made me weep for how far the mighty have fallen.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

My main complaint is how slow it all feels. Especially with the whole 'and our main focus is one thing - velocity.' voice over. After playing Infamous (the old two) Prototype (the first one) and most recently Saints Row 4, that looked really really slow and boring.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

spasticColon posted:

Who gives a poo poo about Nintendo? Its hard to describe just how little I care about Nintendo and their stable of 20 year old IPs. Listen to yourself, your own best case scenario is for Nintendo to keep rehashing their old properties. Their creativity well ran dry a long time ago.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Zohn posted:

On paper, an Insomniac produced third person shooter that combined the open levels, near future cartoony aesthetic, and fluid movement of Jet Grind Radio with the wacky weapons, shooting, and general irreverence of Ratchet & Clank actually sounds pretty awesome.

That trailer though, ugh. For every one "kinda cool" it got out of me there were three things that made me weep for how far the mighty have fallen.

I probably would have been interested if it wasn't another zombie mutant apocalypse.

KittyEmpress posted:

My main complaint is how slow it all feels. Especially with the whole 'and our main focus is one thing - velocity.' voice over. After playing Infamous (the old two) Prototype (the first one) and most recently Saints Row 4, that looked really really slow and boring.

When has an Insomniac game ever been fast-paced?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

Isn't that more or less how every second party arrangement works?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

This is every single game publisher. This is how the industry works right now.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

zenintrude posted:

Sony shot themselves in the foot by not pushing the PS4 to 4k spec to then help push their 4k TVs

e: PS4k... good god, it was staring them right in the goddamned face

:lol:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I said come in! posted:

This is every single game publisher. This is how the industry works right now.

Implying there was a point where it didn't work like that? Or hell, where any form of intellectual property law didn't work like that? The creators of Superman got paid with $130 total and a stiff "you can go gently caress yourselves if you think we're sharing any creative control with you".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Is there an emoticon for falling asleep?

Examiner posted:

Microsoft has confirmed that something “Halo” will be revealed during its E3 media briefing on Monday, June 9 at 12:30 p.m. EST / 9:30 a.m. PST.

• Locked thread