Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

assfro posted:

People who desperately want to believe that the Supreme Court is above partisan politics and is instead just being the impartial judges they swore to be (they never have been, but partisanship has become far more prevalent in the past 20 years). And yeah, probably some people who thought that the ACA stands out for its "impartiality", though gutting the commerce clause has been on the conservative bench's to-do list since the Rehnquist court, so I don't know that I would the ACA ruling up as a bastion of impartiality.

How would you define an impartial ruling versus a partisan one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

I do wonder sometimes if shows like that influence real politics, in the same way that shows like 24 apparently (terrifyingly) influence real law enforcement.

How come Sorkin take-a-stand liberals like Andy in The American President never inspire anyone :smith:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Tharizdun posted:

How come Sorkin take-a-stand liberals like Andy in The American President never inspire anyone :smith:

Too few explosions.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Bill Clinton posted:

“You could take Lloyd Blankfein into a dark alley,” Clinton said, “and slit his throat, and it would satisfy them for about two days. Then the blood lust would rise again.”

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/bill-clinton-lloyd-blankfein-blood-lust-geithner-sorkin

quote:

Bill Clinton told former Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner that nothing would appease the populist "blood lust" for bankers -- not even slitting the throat of Goldman Sachs CEO Lloyd Blankfein in a dark alley.

That's according to a lengthy new article by Andrew Ross Sorkin published online Thursday for the New York Times magazine, which includes interviews with Geithner.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

That's a pretty vivid image, Bill. :stare:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It's easier for neoliberals to entertain graphic violence against bankers to sate public bloodlust rather than nationalizing Goldman Sachs and other firms.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Well, Bill isn't wrong. History bares that out pretty well, and heaping billions on the rest of the crooks would still piss me off no matter how harshly one of them was punished.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Evil Sagan posted:

That's a pretty vivid image, Bill. :stare:

Vince Foster was a good friend of the Clintons and this crap drove him to suicide so I would imagine he'd have a strong opinion.

Alternatively: Clinton knows all about bloodlust because he personally murdered Vince Foster and... actually how does that conspiracy theory go? That one never made sense.

edit: I just realized that I probably come off as saying that people's grievances against bankers are "crap" and don't really mean that, just that popular backlash can be quite damaging and isn't always rational.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Bill, I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying I want to see that theory tested.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

I'm interested in seeing that theory tested.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Blankfein probably wouldn't be the top of my list, but any murdered banker would do about zero for solving finance's problems so Bill us right for once I guess.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

hobbesmaster posted:

They actually know what they're doing though. If it is indeed complete bullshit (it is) theres three options:
1. DoJ ignores it and does not impanel a grand jury
2. DoJ puts the joke of a case in front of a grand jury and it refuses to indict
3. DoJ gets a grand jury indictment and it goes to trial and they're found not guilty.

No matter the result they can claim that the justice department threw the case.

Honestly I find the prospect that this goes to trial kind of terrifying. The GOPs assertion is that by declaring she was innocent Letner waived her right to invoke the 5th amendment. If that gets to the Supreme Court and the SC agrees then fuuuuuuuck that precedent.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Amergin posted:

I was listening to C-SPAN this morning discussing the Nigerian kidnappings/Boko Haram issue there, and most callers were asking two questions:

1) "These are girls! Why haven't we intervened sooner!"

Well mostly because the Nigerian government has a pretty good idea where Boko Haram is hiding but they've decided not to do anything about it because the government is corrupt.

2) "Why hasn't Western media focused more attention on this?!"

Because nobody cares about Africa, CNN is still looking for flight 370 and it happened around the same time a ferry capsized near Korea. We care more about Korea than Nigeria.

And what burned me the most is the media correspondent (can't remember who) was basically saying "Well I'm disappointed the media didn't pick this up sooner but at least it's picked it up now and helped drum up support along with the Twitter hashtags." Oh, great, a month after the event took place when many of the girls have been scattered to the four winds, we start focusing on it.

I mean yeah better late than never but come on.

Well the BBC has been talking abohhhh, wait, nevermind :doh:

That's silly. I mean, there are at least a couple hundred of the fuckers. We could go on for years past the attention span of the public at large :unsmigghh:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Good Citizen posted:

Honestly I find the prospect that this goes to trial kind of terrifying. The GOPs assertion is that by declaring she was innocent Letner waived her right to invoke the 5th amendment. If that gets to the Supreme Court and the SC agrees then fuuuuuuuck that precedent.

There's no way on earth that could happen. Bear in mind that the people making the charges don't know how the law works in this setting. Again, check out that Brand opinion letter I linked. Brand knows this area better than anyone.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Of course not. You don't slit their throat in a dark alley. You chop their head off in front of the New York Stock Exchange in broad daylight.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

IMJack posted:

Of course not. You don't slit their throat in a dark alley. You chop their head off in front of the New York Stock Exchange in broad daylight.

All I'm saying is King Joffery would have had their heads on spikes along the White House fence

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

IMJack posted:

Does this mean I can finally fulfill my dream of Cosplaying Robespierre? :allears:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

All I'm saying is King Joffery would have had their heads on spikes along the White House fence

The Democrats have begged mercy for the bankers. But they have the soft hearts of neoliberals.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Talmonis posted:

Does this mean I can finally fulfill my dream of Cosplaying Robespierre? :allears:

I think the names Robespierre and Marie Antoinette should both get a little more play in the current political-economic climate.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

IMJack posted:

And leave the heads on pikes out front as a reminder after.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Fried Chicken posted:

I think we can work with this...

Reminds me, I need to get caught up on this season.

edit:

Tharizdun posted:

Is it weird that I think murders and rapists should be rehabilitated and can (after years of incarceration) be safely reintegrated into society, but I think bankers should loving hang with their bodies rotting on a rope?
Most thieves and the like do so out of personal need coupled with a lack of useful skills/opportunity. Rehabilitation via support programs and education is possible.

Most bankers and wall street types routinely screw over thousands or millions of people to add to their pre-existing mountain of money. There isn't much you can do to change that.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 8, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

And leave the heads on pikes out front as a reminder after.
Is it weird that I think murders and rapists should be rehabilitated and can (after years of incarceration) be safely reintegrated into society, but I think bankers should loving hang with their bodies rotting on a rope?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

IMJack posted:

I think the names Robespierre and Marie Antoinette should both get a little more play in the current political-economic climate.
That would offend our benevolent job creators.

Louis XVI, the Bastille, and sans-culottes are far more terrifying.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Tharizdun posted:

For me I just think they should have their ability to do any tasks besides pick up trash removed. Through a little action on the frontal lobes.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

IMJack posted:

Agreed. Can we get Ann Romney to play Marie? :getin:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Evil Sagan posted:

The Democrats have begged mercy for the bankers. But they have the soft hearts of neoliberals.

The Canadians have awakened and are marching south, leaving Tim Horton's and single payer health care in their wake.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Talmonis posted:

Agreed. Can we get Ann Romney to play Marie? :getin:

Freep cast Michelle Obama in that role years ago

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 8, 2014

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Fried Chicken posted:

The Canadians have awakened and are marching south, leaving Tim Horton's and single payer health care in their wake.
But we know how to deal with that.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

US Politics Thread: The Reign Of Terror 2: Electric Boogaloo

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Unfortunately we'll have to move over to Sports Argument Stadium for a proper Tennis Court Oath

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Counterpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVC677-YmfM

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What if your grandpa had a youtube channel?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZByJ5z0LaLs

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Antoinette at least told people to eat cake*. Wall Street is just straight up telling people to eat poo poo.

*yes I know she didn't say this

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Die! Die you fuckers!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Somehow the Tea Party has avoided any additional opposition despite years of making GBS threads on themselves in public, people are just losing interest.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Reminder that the only difference between the tea party and the establishment is tactics.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

zoux posted:

Oh man.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

Really expected this to be Chuck Grassley.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

I had to tell my dad to gently caress off about Benghazi the other day as he was tooting his outrage horn at me. I asked him if he knew the names of the people that died, and what they believed in. he obviously said no, and that it didn't matter. The conversation didn't go well after that. gently caress anyone trying to use those names for their own agenda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away

zoux posted:

No comments or ratings allowed? Looks like somebody hates free speech. :smug:

• Locked thread