Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Wasn't there a name generator for artifacts that someone was using to make neat Dungeon World stuff along those lines earlier in the thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
http://rustyandco.com/arcade/dinkums-random-magic-item-generator/ ?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
That was it, thank you! Some of the results are a little clunky but I feel like if you're going for oddball magic items, you could get some really neat ideas out of it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I got a bear trap that makes the "user" invisible when it's activated. I'm thinking if that were coupled with a silence, it'd be the best drat tool a hero in need of abducting someone could have.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
My first result was the Helium Banana of Inquisitiveness. Saying the results are oddball is putting it mildly.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

quote:

Necromantic Canoe of Business Management
This blood-red two-seater boat grants the user an advanced understand of how to run a small business while floating, but harms the user every time it's used. It comes with a small, framed degree.

I'm in love.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Slayer's Lingerie of Joy
This spiked, lacy lingerie causes all non-hostile creatures near the user to feel happy and carefree when worn. Additionally, it can be wielded as a spiked club. Creatures affected are easily distracted and often more agreeable than normal.

This is really excellent.

ZnCu
Jul 2, 2007

Eat Sword?
Remember: wizards are crazy, get bored easily, and never back down from a dare.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Rotten Cookies posted:

E: While I'm posting, has anyone ever made up or come across a list of weird, random, marginally useful loot? My players really don't like finding gems or plain old gold. They have the most fun when they find something like a giant bird call, or a staff that summons like 3 spectral sheep that serve only to get in the way, really (Any Pixel Dungeon fans?). Stuff that's sort of off-the-wall.
I once found the Shaker of Infinite Salt. Dispenses unlimited salt as long as you shake it out in normal amounts, if you dump out everything it's just as much as it would normally hold and doesn't refill for a day.

I didn't ever find a use for it but I guess given enough time you could give your enemies hypertension. And if you encounter the Fleash-Eating Acid Slug, you got this.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

My Lovely Horse posted:

I once found the Shaker of Infinite Salt. Dispenses unlimited salt as long as you shake it out in normal amounts, if you dump out everything it's just as much as it would normally hold and doesn't refill for a day.

I didn't ever find a use for it but I guess given enough time you could give your enemies hypertension. And if you encounter the Fleash-Eating Acid Slug, you got this.
Hey, it's an important religious artifact.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

quote:

Nocturnal Horseshoes of Charm
This bat-topped set of horseshoes gives the user a stunning, sparkling smile when affixed to a horse's hooves, but only at night.
I have so many questions...

quote:

Hades's Wand of Beatboxing
This ebon wand provides backing vocals to anything the user says or sings when pointed at your enemies. Additionally, the user can speak with the dead, once a day. The user can turn the beatboxing on and off at will.
And yet this makes so much sense.

UrbanLabyrinth fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 8, 2014

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

quote:

Portable Banana of the Roadrunner
This hinged banana allows the user to move 50% faster than they normally do after being eaten. It can fold down into a one-inch cube for easy storage. While using the item, the user may only communicate in beeps.

Cartoon D&D

quote:

Paper Mug of Acid
Made of folded paper, this mug sprays a 10 foot cone of acid when the mug drank from. Every time it is used, there's a 30% chance it is destroyed. It takes an hour to recharge.

uh...?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It's a wizard's practical joke cup, similar to dribble cups. Except the joke here is that when you drink from it, you get a face full of acid HAHAHA U GOT WIZARDED LOL

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

It's a wizard's practical joke cup, similar to dribble cups. Except the joke here is that when you drink from it, you get a face full of acid HAHAHA U GOT WIZARDED LOL

ZnCu posted:

Remember: wizards are crazy, get bored easily, and never back down from a dare.

It all makes sense

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Bad Munki posted:

From over in "PYF Funny Comics", this image is relevant.

ThermonuclearTom
Jul 23, 2006

OW
OW
OW
Any tips for getting players to talk more in character? I've tried interesting NPC's but the group is really new to gaming and they seem quite, well, shy.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Why force them? If they prefer summarising what they're saying to roleplaying it all out, then let them do it.

Robotic Folksinger
Jun 27, 2008

I guess a robot would have to be crazy to wanna be a folksinger
All right, finally relics worthy of my epic fantasy game

quote:

Awesome Fake Nose of Beatboxing
This kickass, spike-studded prosthetic nose provides backing vocals to anything the user says or sings while worn and makes you the envy of all other adventurers. The user can turn the beatboxing on and off at will.

quote:

Blinged-out Duct tape of the Mason
This diamond-studded extra-strength tape gives the user an in-depth understanding of construction techniques when applied to the wall or floor. Any diamonds that are pried off turn immediately to glass. This understanding allows the user to design and guide the construction of fortresses, aqueducts, dams, bridges, and other large-scale projects.

quote:

Hades's Throne of Karaoke
This ebon throne amplies the speaker's voice while adding a musical harmonizing track while someone of royal blood is seated in it. Additionally, the user can speak with the dead, once a day. The user doesn't get to choose the song.

Move over, The One Ring, I've got to win over this ghost army with my stunning rendition of take on me.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

quote:

This black-and-yellow, glass prism allows the user to bust out some slick moves whenever light shines through it. There is a 10% chance that instead of functioning properly, it emits a swarm of angry hornets.

Wizard practical jokes are the best practical jokes.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

quote:

Ribboned Beans of Needles
A ribbon-decked pouch containing 6 beans fires a burst of razor-sharp needles whenever a bean is eaten. Very festive! Can only be used 10 times.

Very festive! Wizard jokes.

quote:

Chocolate-coated Canoe of Dynamite
A chocolate-coated two-seater boat explodes violently, exactly one minute later while floating, and every day it regrows a tasty shell of milk chocolate!

:stare:

quote:

Imaginary Suit Jacket of Wind
This golden, glittering, classy dinner jacket allows the user to summon 10 mile-per-hour winds in any direction they choose while worn, but only the wielder can be affected by it. Only works once a day.

hahaha

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
The pouch contains six beans but can be used ten times. Wizard math.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

quote:

Imaginary Suit Jacket of Wind
This golden, glittering, classy dinner jacket allows the user to summon 10 mile-per-hour winds in any direction they choose while worn, but only the wielder can be affected by it. Only works once a day.
hahaha

Holy poo poo, if it would conjure a few doves at the same time, that'd be the best bard jacket EVER.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Holy poo poo, if it would conjure a few doves at the same time, that'd be the best bard jacket EVER.

Im sure we can find sunglasses that do that when you remove them dramatically

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Im sure we can find sunglasses that do that when you remove them dramatically

Oh God, but what happens when you put them ON?!

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Just when I start to think I'm running out of ideas, I think of the next module.

My party consists of a Lawful Good Paladin and cleric.

They're going to get a letter asking for their help in quelling a rebellion from another Paladin. Gradually, after a few fights, I want them to realize that they're on the wrong side and the Paladin is part of a brutal theocracy that is oppressing and controlling this town.

It seems like a game where they'd have a lot of potential options, either openly joining the rebellion, or covertly working for them.

If it takes them a while to notice that they're working for the villains, I want to build up some subtle clues. Stuff like there being no taverns, no alcohol in the city at all, a strict curfew, people disappearing.

The games so far have had a strong investigative flavor to them, so I'm looking for some ideas on how to build up tension, drop clues, etc. These aren't the kinds of players who need combat every fifteen minutes to stay interested, but I'd love to give them moral quandries.

Writer Cath fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 8, 2014

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Writer Cath posted:

Just when I start to think I'm running out of ideas, I think of the next module.

My party consists of a Lawful Good Paladin and cleric.

They're going to get a letter asking for their help in quelling a rebellion from another Paladin. Gradually, after a few fights, I want them to realize that they're on the wrong side and the Paladin is part of a brutal theocracy that is oppressing and controlling this town.

It seems like a game where they'd have a lot of potential options, either openly joining the rebellion, or covertly working for them.

If it takes them a while to notice that they're working for the villains, I want to build up some subtle clues. Stuff like there being no taverns, no alcohol in the city at all, a strict curfew, people disappearing.

The games so far have had a strong investigative flavor to them, so I'm looking for some ideas on how to build up tension, drop clues, etc. These aren't the kinds of players who need combat every fifteen minutes to stay interested, but I'd love to give them moral quandries.

Don't forget to prepare for the contingency where the players decide they wanna see what happens if they ride the Brutal Theocracy train all the way to the last stop. Some groups like to play consequences chicken with the GM to see how insane a situation they can end up in. In fairness, this usually turns out to be pretty interesting.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

deadly_pudding posted:

Don't forget to prepare for the contingency where the players decide they wanna see what happens if they ride the Brutal Theocracy train all the way to the last stop. Some groups like to play consequences chicken with the GM to see how insane a situation they can end up in. In fairness, this usually turns out to be pretty interesting.

That would be pretty fun, admittedly. I just try to come up with a concept that has a beginning and end. How we get there is fleshed out by the players.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

deadly_pudding posted:

Some groups like to play consequences chicken with the GM to see how insane a situation they can end up in.

Oh god this. From my last few sessions:

A ruined portal that powerful demons came through a long time ago. "We should probably try to reactivate it and see what happens."

An altar to a long forgotten god of torture? "I leave an offering."

Dirty foul-smelling water in the bottom of a hundred foot pit. "I was just getting thirsty!"

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

deadly_pudding posted:

Some groups like to play consequences chicken with the GM to see how insane a situation they can end up in. In fairness, this usually turns out to be pretty interesting.
I have a player who tries to consume pretty much any neat, magic-looking thing he comes across. Killed a boss and she spits up her blue, still-beating heart? "Is anyone gonna be mad if I eat this thing?". Mysterious pool of blood at the centre of a long-abandoned shrine? "I drink it!"

It's kinda nice having a player who regularly asks, "Hey GM, can something really weird and/or dangerous please happen to my character?"

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Oh god this. From my last few sessions:

A ruined portal that powerful demons came through a long time ago. "We should probably try to reactivate it and see what happens."

An altar to a long forgotten god of torture? "I leave an offering."

Dirty foul-smelling water in the bottom of a hundred foot pit. "I was just getting thirsty!"

A drinking chalice seething with warp energies and corruption, that almost certainly holds a demon in it? "I'm going to lick it."

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Antti posted:

A drinking chalice seething with warp energies and corruption, that almost certainly holds a demon in it? "I'm going to lick it."

Gonna borrow this. Thanks.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

HatfulOfHollow posted:

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

The Crotch posted:

tries to consume pretty much any neat, magic-looking thing he comes across.

That's my current DW character's schtick, to the point where she quested for ages to find this:

She's now using it as a weapon, a la Madness Returns. Plus, corpses are pre-seasoned!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Crotch posted:

I have a player who tries to consume pretty much any neat, magic-looking thing he comes across. Killed a boss and she spits up her blue, still-beating heart? "Is anyone gonna be mad if I eat this thing?". Mysterious pool of blood at the centre of a long-abandoned shrine? "I drink it!"

It's kinda nice having a player who regularly asks, "Hey GM, can something really weird and/or dangerous please happen to my character?"

Robin Laws calls these people Instigators in the 4E DMG, it's a useful taxonomy.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Writer Cath posted:

Most of the people in the town are very polite to everyone - not in a friendly way, but in a cringing, nervous way. People tend to end disputes by reporting their rivals to the secret police, so most go out of their way to avoid offending their neighbors. The exceptions are people favored by the secret police.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Pththya-lyi posted:

Most of the people in the town are very polite to everyone - not in a friendly way, but in a cringing, nervous way. People tend to end disputes by reporting their rivals to the secret police, so most go out of their way to avoid offending their neighbors. The exceptions are people favored by the secret police.

Maybe the townsfolk could have some brainwashy responses to stuff. Like asking why there are no taverns (going off what someone else suggested) the townspeople might all say something very similar, like "Oh, no, we don't do that. Beer isn't pure, and purity is best."

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
I really want to try running a short game set in the WH40k universe but absolutely hate complicated rulesets and character generation. Does anyone have any tips for a game system that can be easily applied? Dungeon World is always wonderful but I'm also lazy and don't wanna go round amending all the character sheets to remove all reference to elves.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
There's a 40k hack for *World games. Might even be more than one. Check out this Google doc.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nPfff5dSHsk__rFHGQfLaAmb3ns680s_Fc0CSNlhfFA/edit?pli=1#heading=h.c96xbwiq6wwh

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Thanks, that's awesome! I had no idea this many hacks existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Fargo Fukes posted:

Thanks, that's awesome! I had no idea this many hacks existed.

88 on the spreadsheet. And I'm sure there are more out there (Does anyone have the I Am Killbot link?)