Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

There's no way to become a Doge as a player.

However, you can create merchant republic papacys if you grant an unlanded pope a city. They even get the merchant republic succession mechanics though the pope himself will never marry.

Wait, how would this work? Is the new Doge always the new Pope as well? Can a user play the Doge Pope and make even more money than a regular Doge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Beamed posted:

Linux Launcher!!!

Torrannor posted:

Titles no longer sorted!

DLC list in the Launcher no longer a complete pain in the rear end to scroll through!
:toot:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

How worried should I be about tanking my heir's prestige in an elective monarchy? He's currently unmarried and there aren't any interesting political marriages available right now. I also have like ten kids so I can use some of them as alliance fodder if something better pops up. I'm considering just finding my heir a courtier superwife from somewhere, but it would push his prestige into the red. Is this a big deal? If it matters, my realm is very stable and my heir has amazing traits so I think the vassals will love him once he takes over.

edit: On the subject of superwives, my heir has the Quick trait. I don't know much about how the game handles genetics. Should I still shoot for the moon and try and find a Genius wife? Or would it be better to find another Quick wife, the idea being that his kids would be basically guaranteed to get the trait?

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
Well, I reached my goals for my Jainghis Khan game, though I think the event for re-forming the Roman Empire should be specific about taking the de-jure land from the Byzantine Empire, rather than your primary title.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Darkrenown posted:

- Saint Addai holy order is no longer available before the event chain enables them.

Damnit, that was key to my early Arabian conquests, poo poo.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

How worried should I be about tanking my heir's prestige in an elective monarchy? He's currently unmarried and there aren't any interesting political marriages available right now. I also have like ten kids so I can use some of them as alliance fodder if something better pops up. I'm considering just finding my heir a courtier superwife from somewhere, but it would push his prestige into the red. Is this a big deal? If it matters, my realm is very stable and my heir has amazing traits so I think the vassals will love him once he takes over.

edit: On the subject of superwives, my heir has the Quick trait. I don't know much about how the game handles genetics. Should I still shoot for the moon and try and find a Genius wife? Or would it be better to find another Quick wife, the idea being that his kids would be basically guaranteed to get the trait?

My understanding of genetics is the specific trait matters less than having two parents with congenital traits. For example, doesn't matter if it's a Quick/Genius or Quick/Quick or Quick/Strong marriage (other than your wife's stats), what matters it that both parents having a congenital trait makes it much more likely for their children to be born with one.

Edit: quick reading says I'm probably wrong here, but it's more important to get a Lustful (NOT Chaste) and otherwise good-traits and stats wife than specifically aiming for Quick or something. You won't have many options, pick a Strong/Quick/Genius/Attractive wife with the best overall stats.

I'd say marry your Quick heir to a superwife and see what kind of Kwisatz Haderach kids you can produce. The Prestige hit shouldn't hurt you too much and you can always give him a County and some honorary titles to build prestige. Worst case scenario you elect a different kid as heir and keep Quick son around, you can always elect HIS kids as your next heirs and skip family branches, no problem. It's elective, you've got options!

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 8, 2014

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

I think it's something like +1 opinion for 100 prestige. So yeah, even an emperor marrying a butcher's daughter is not going to tank the general opinion.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What are lowborns anyway? They aren't exactly peasants, if they were peasant there would be tonnes more of them. They are noblemen, but noblemen with no notable relatives.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

It ended up being a non-issue - a Croatian Princess popped up out of nowhere with amazing stats (Genius, Grey Eminence, etc.). She isn't Lustful but hopefully shorty will still put out.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

What are lowborns anyway? They aren't exactly peasants, if they were peasant there would be tonnes more of them. They are noblemen, but noblemen with no notable relatives.

Commoners important enough to merit notice by the aristocracy. Usually they're bishops, mayors, or revolt leaders.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

It ended up being a non-issue - a Croatian Princess popped up out of nowhere with amazing stats (Genius, Grey Eminence, etc.). She isn't Lustful but hopefully shorty will still put out.

Mostly you just don't want the fertility penalty from Chaste. Lustful is a nice bonus, so is Hedonist for serious babymaking.

If you didn't know, couples are limited to a total of two (living) children unless they're landed. So Quick heir won't have more than two kids unless you give him a county or something.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

DStecks posted:

Commoners important enough to merit notice by the aristocracy. Usually they're bishops, mayors, or revolt leaders.

They could also be commoners with relatives that have managed to secure prestigious positions in the royal court - there were lots of crazy positions you could get that would be totally humiliating today (like royal rear end-wiper. This was an actual thing), but would be highly prized back then because of the amount of access you'd have with the nobility.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Pellisworth posted:

If you didn't know, couples are limited to a total of two (living) children unless they're landed. So Quick heir won't have more than two kids unless you give him a county or something.

Oh, this is huge, I better land him. I'll still be able to educate his children if I give him a county somewhere, right?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Bold Robot posted:

Oh, this is huge, I better land him. I'll still be able to educate his children if I give him a county somewhere, right?
Yeah, assuming that he remains your vassal and he likes you. But you won't get the popup about them needing an education, so you'll have to keep an eye on their ages to know when to make the request.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Also, you can only propose yourself or someone in your court as a tutor for your vassals' kids, whereas kids from your court can easily be sent off to be tutored by anyone in your realm, including the 20-diplomacy Genius Grey Eminence working as Chancellor for Baron Whoever of Nowhere who you can't seem to bribe away.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Gort posted:

Isn't that what all the stuff listed under "Converter" is about?

Uh yeah, my bad. I was skimming and totally didn't even notice. :p

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Decided to try out the beta patch. First, the good: the new launcher is great. I love it. Now, the bad: The launcher has decided that since I decided to launch Lux Invicta once, I obviously don't want to play anything else. When I deselect it, when I press play it loads it all up anyway.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'm playing as the King of Italy, with elective succession. I'm in a position where I can usurp the Kingdom of Sicily. I notice that in order to create the Empire of Italia, I would need another Kingdom title, in addition to both Italy and Sicily. Since my succession is elective, am I right to think that it's not really worth it to usurp the Kingdom of Sicily right now, since it will be a pain in the rear end to manage elections across both Kingdoms? My concern is that a lot of the local lords in Sicily are Norman, so it might be tricky to get them to vote for my Italian heirs, especially if a king dies at an inopportune time and I haven't had a chance to cajole them.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

There's a little beta patch (opt in via properties -> betas if you want it):

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?774446-Crusader-Kings-II-Open-Beta-Patch-2.1.5.1-Now-Available-checksum-ICTB

Also, CK2 collection is on sale at the humble store today. :frogsiren:Buy buy buy!:frogsiren:

Is there a chance this would address an issue I've had where the Mac launcher has stopped appearing for me?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

I'm playing as the King of Italy, with elective succession. I'm in a position where I can usurp the Kingdom of Sicily. I notice that in order to create the Empire of Italia, I would need another Kingdom title, in addition to both Italy and Sicily. Since my succession is elective, am I right to think that it's not really worth it to usurp the Kingdom of Sicily right now, since it will be a pain in the rear end to manage elections across both Kingdoms? My concern is that a lot of the local lords in Sicily are Norman, so it might be tricky to get them to vote for my Italian heirs, especially if a king dies at an inopportune time and I haven't had a chance to cajole them.

Only vassals in the de jure Kingdom of Italy get to vote. Double check the succession of Sicily, if for example it's Gavelkind or Primogeniture, you can usurp and have your oldest son inherit by electing him King of Italy and as the eldest he'll inherit Sicily.

So, the Sicilian dukes voting against your chosen heir isn't really a problem since they can't vote in Italy. However, you're right you probably don't want to juggle two Elective kingdoms, since you'll have separate elections and elector pools for each and it's almost inevitable you'll split your realm between two different heirs at some point.

Ideally what you probably want to do is 1) usurp Sicily and set both Italy and Sicily to the same non-Electoral succession so you can easily keep both titles OR 2) don't usurp Sicily until you control 80% of de jure Italy and are ready to form the Empire of Italia. Yes, you need 2 Kingdom titles, but what you can do is usurp Sicily, form the empire, then destroy the title of Kingdom of Sicily. That will piss off your Sicilian vassals but long-term is much more stable, you really only want to hold your primary Kingdom title as otherwise all the dukes will covet it. For example, if you were Emperor of Italia, King of Italy and Sicily your Sicilian dukes would get a -25 "Desires Kingdom of Sicily" relation penalty.

Edit: the most stable setup is probably one Elective Emperor title and nothing but Dukes under you (destroy King titles), or for primo/ultimo/gavelkind you can have as many Emperor titles as you want, primary Kingdom title only (where your capital is), and then all Duke vassals.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 9, 2014

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Are there any recommendations on the additional music packs, or the portrait ones?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Pellisworth posted:

Edit: the most stable setup is probably one Elective Emperor title and nothing but Dukes under you (destroy King titles), or for primo/ultimo/gavelkind you can have as many Emperor titles as you want, primary Kingdom title only (where your capital is), and then all Duke vassals.

What about elective Emperor, but nothing but Counts? Counts wouldn't be eligible to vote for the next Emperor, right?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Dick Trauma posted:

Are there any recommendations on the additional music packs, or the portrait ones?

All the music packs are pretty great imo, the viking ones especially.

Facepacks are a bit more subjective but Turkish are pretty great (now), mongols and norse too.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

DrSunshine posted:

What about elective Emperor, but nothing but Counts? Counts wouldn't be eligible to vote for the next Emperor, right?

They aren't eligible to vote, no, but hoo boy that micro every single time you have to raise your levies would drive me batshit. Just run elective with dukes, the opinion bonus for running elective makes it really quite easy to keep hold of the title in my experience; only two quick succession can really derail you.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

In theory that would be perfectly stable electoral succession, yeah, but it's not really practical. It'd be really hard to stop your count vassals from forming duchies and a pain to rally levies. Plus, you'd have a ton of direct vassals and a lot of potential plotters/factions

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Well, I actually rather like managing a huge huge flock of vassals, so maybe next time I play as Karlings, I'll try to create a massive Carolingian empire stretching from the Atlantic to the plains of Poland, inhabited with nothing but count-level vassals. Hm. Thinking about it, it'd be easiest to do so if I'm Byzantine and have free Duchy revocation, to quash those pesky Dukes whenever they form.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Dick Trauma posted:

Like I've said before, I like all of the portrait packs, but generally the one people will tell you to skip is the Mediterranean packs. If you can only pick up a couple, you should go for the Mongol and African packs. Turkish pack is good. I'm really fond of the Celtic pack too, and the Norse pack is pretty solid as well.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

Well, I actually rather like managing a huge huge flock of vassals, so maybe next time I play as Karlings, I'll try to create a massive Carolingian empire stretching from the Atlantic to the plains of Poland, inhabited with nothing but count-level vassals. Hm. Thinking about it, it'd be easiest to do so if I'm Byzantine and have free Duchy revocation, to quash those pesky Dukes whenever they form.

Keep in mind you'd have to destroy the Ducal titles or something, too, as you can't hold too many yourself

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Pellisworth posted:

Only vassals in the de jure Kingdom of Italy get to vote. Double check the succession of Sicily, if for example it's Gavelkind or Primogeniture, you can usurp and have your oldest son inherit by electing him King of Italy and as the eldest he'll inherit Sicily.

So, the Sicilian dukes voting against your chosen heir isn't really a problem since they can't vote in Italy. However, you're right you probably don't want to juggle two Elective kingdoms, since you'll have separate elections and elector pools for each and it's almost inevitable you'll split your realm between two different heirs at some point.

Ideally what you probably want to do is 1) usurp Sicily and set both Italy and Sicily to the same non-Electoral succession so you can easily keep both titles OR 2) don't usurp Sicily until you control 80% of de jure Italy and are ready to form the Empire of Italia. Yes, you need 2 Kingdom titles, but what you can do is usurp Sicily, form the empire, then destroy the title of Kingdom of Sicily. That will piss off your Sicilian vassals but long-term is much more stable, you really only want to hold your primary Kingdom title as otherwise all the dukes will covet it. For example, if you were Emperor of Italia, King of Italy and Sicily your Sicilian dukes would get a -25 "Desires Kingdom of Sicily" relation penalty.

Thanks for the advice - I think what I'll do is basically take option 2 there. I'll wait until I can form Italia (which for some reason needs Italy, Sicily, and then also any other Kingdom :confused:), create it, and then destroy all 3 of my Kingdom titles. This will piss off the vassals but then I'll hand out a ton of Duchies to mollify them.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

Thanks for the advice - I think what I'll do is basically take option 2 there. I'll wait until I can form Italia (which for some reason needs Italy, Sicily, and then also any other Kingdom :confused:), create it, and then destroy all 3 of my Kingdom titles. This will piss off the vassals but then I'll hand out a ton of Duchies to mollify them.

Yep that's a solid plan, they'll get over it. It's I think a -50 penalty to all de jure vassals of that title, so do it at the end of a long reigning well-liked King. When he dies, all is forgotten!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

Keep in mind you'd have to destroy the Ducal titles or something, too, as you can't hold too many yourself

Yeah, that'd piss off whichever counts live in the de jure territory of the duchy, but whatever. I could just vassalize the Pope and get him to excommunicate the angered count(s). Then I can imprison them and let them rot!

Hm. I wonder if I could hand off the titles to someone, like the Pope or something, rather than destroying them? Ah, but that would probably lead to most of the territory in the empire being owned by the Papacy, huh?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Even if you revoke the duchy, they'll still hold the counties and therefore usurp/create it again as soon as they get the gold and piety together, so you'll have to revoke enough counties that they can't form the duchy anymore. And while you don't get tyranny for revoking duchies as Byzantium/Muslim, the specific person you revoked it from will still hate your guts.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
Quit being bitches and create and hold every king and empire title you can! Prestige mang :smug:

Edit for content: my current game is going so good. I'm ummayed and the year is about 1050. Own spain, maurentia, Francia, Italy, germany, Denmark and Sweden. I'm pretty much steam rolling through Europe with my 30k retinue. Current mission is to push catholicism out of Europe and prepare for the Aztecs.

Zig-Zag fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 9, 2014

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
How exactly does education work? I have an imbecile courtier with really high base stats and good traits (how does an imbecile get a 4 star education trait :psyduck:), is he a better guardian than a guy with worse base stats and traits but higher overall stats due to not being an imbecile?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

James Garfield posted:

How exactly does education work? I have an imbecile courtier with really high base stats and good traits (how does an imbecile get a 4 star education trait :psyduck:), is he a better guardian than a guy with worse base stats and traits but higher overall stats due to not being an imbecile?

The wiki has a pretty good primer on it. As I understand it, the child will gain stats and traits (other than the trait they get upon becoming an adult) based on what their guardian has. You can kinda see how this works if you raise a child yourself. Events happen where you can try to influence what traits a child gains or loses. I think the idea is that the AI will make the choices that reflect their personality. So, for example, if the guardian has high Martial and is Kind and Zealous, the child will gain more Martial and is more likely to get the Kind and Zealous traits.

As for the final trait they get upon becoming an adult, my impression from the wiki and anecdotally is that it's based entirely on who is the child's guardian when they turn 16. You're guaranteed to get the same type of trait. What level of trait you get is a percentage chance based on what level the guardian has. Apparently it's 50% chance to get the same level, with a lower chance for either an upward or downward departure.

So, if you want to game things, you can pick a guardian with high stats and good traits, then switch to a new guardian with a good final trait shortly before the child turns 16. I might be wrong about being able to switch like this, but the wiki says the final trait has nothing to do with how long a character has been guardian, and I feel like I've noticed it working that way. Wouldn't be too hard to test by like, educating a kid with a Misguided Warrior until shortly before he turns 16, then switching to a Grey Eminence, and seeing which one you get.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Bold Robot posted:

As for the final trait they get upon becoming an adult, my impression from the wiki and anecdotally is that it's based entirely on who is the child's guardian when they turn 16. You're guaranteed to get the same type of trait. What level of trait you get is a percentage chance based on what level the guardian has. Apparently it's 50% chance to get the same level, with a lower chance for either an upward or downward departure.

It's actually not guaranteed to be of the same type, note the "Random Other" column being 7-9% from your link.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, drat. My awesome queen died of pneumonia, while pregnant no less, leaving only a one year old daughter who had not yet gotten enough votes to be the next queen, so I'm back in Munster. Which also includes Tara because I never gave that up. Current king is a kid as well, but he's eight rather than one. Also, male.

Gonna see if I can regain support after I grow up, then murder my way back to my throne. Or just take it since I have a claim. Might not even have to wait for that; I'll have more troops than he does after my levies recover from my attempt at taking the parts of Scotland grandpa didn't control (died during that, so current character only has weak claims). Hopefully dad doesn't kick the bucket too before I can get him the rest of Scotland by killing his brother.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 9, 2014

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I have twice now tried to play a low-level game and accidentally ended up as king. I first tried out a stint as the duke of Brandenburg, and got so popular that I got elected emperor. Next game I started out as the duke of Aquitaine. My granddaughter matrimonially married some English prince who then got put on the throne somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Jesus ain't nothing to gently caress with.

• Locked thread