Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Emalde posted:

Yeah, anybody who thinks we're getting new megas or anything of the like are deluding the hell out of themselves.

Why is that delusional?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

fade5 posted:

Agreed. It's just a shame Gamefreak won't include the greatest thing about the Battle Factory: cloning. I wonder if they'll put in a tiny Easter egg acknowledging it, it's gotta be one of the most famous things about Emerald. If you say a mon was "Cloned in Emerald" everyone knows exactly what you're talking about.

Wait, wait, cloning? I thought that was only exploitable through the Battle Tower.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Strange Quark posted:

Wait, wait, cloning? I thought that was only exploitable through the Battle Tower.
Tower yeah, sorry. I lump it all together as "the Battle place on the island south of Route 130"

E: I just realized, Faraway Island with Mew and the Old Sea Chart was Emerald too. Maybe this time everyone will be able to go catch it.:getin:

Who am I kidding, the Happy Hour Inkay was Japanese only, they'll probably make Mew Japanese event only again.:suicide:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 8, 2014

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

fade5 posted:

Agreed. It's just a shame Gamefreak won't include the greatest thing about the Battle Factory: cloning. I wonder if they'll put in a tiny Easter egg acknowledging it, it's gotta be one of the most famous things about Emerald. If you say a mon was "Cloned in Emerald" everyone knows exactly what you're talking about.

*press "A" in front of PC*
There is a sign on the monitor...
Due to overuse, This PC is out of order.

Or at a table next to the bottom right table there is a nurse joy/receptionist sleeping. If you talk to her 50 times (the 49 times before are ZZZ)she says "zzz... Whoa... deja vu"

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Why is that delusional?

It's not Gamefreak's MO at all. The best we're going to get out of ORAS is Mega Lati@s, and possibly the Volcanion event. New Mega Evolutions would absolutely require content-compatability patches and there has been no indication that this is something they intend on doing (evidenced by mega lati@s already existing).

I would not even hedge any bets on Kyogre/Groudon Formes, I would sooner guess that the boxart is likely depicting how they'll be shown during their event scenes involving the Red/Blue Orbs (however it is not impossible, it's easy for GF to rig it so that formes are backwards compatible, but since we can already see placeholder data for Zygarde Formes and nothing else, there are probably not going to be new formes or if there are it will be something simple like stat re-arrangements)

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

On the other hand, I'll be real mad if we don't have new megas

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Emalde posted:

It's not Gamefreak's MO at all. The best we're going to get out of ORAS is Mega Lati@s, and possibly the Volcanion event. New Mega Evolutions would absolutely require content-compatability patches and there has been no indication that this is something they intend on doing (evidenced by mega lati@s already existing).

I would not even hedge any bets on Kyogre/Groudon Formes, I would sooner guess that the boxart is likely depicting how they'll be shown during their event scenes involving the Red/Blue Orbs (however it is not impossible, it's easy for GF to rig it so that formes are backwards compatible, but since we can already see placeholder data for Zygarde Formes and nothing else, there are probably not going to be new formes or if there are it will be something simple like stat re-arrangements)

Isn't it super easy for them to patch via street/spot pass? I don't really understand what makes formes easier to make backwards compatible vs. megas. Don't they function reasonably similarly? Was there any data for stuff like Shaymin's sky forme in Diamond/Pearl?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 8, 2014

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
X/Y has been patched twice so far and they were both mainly bug fixes.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Oxyclean posted:

Isn't it super easy for them to patch via street/spot pass? I don't really understand what makes formes easier to make backwards compatible vs. megas. Don't they function reasonably similarly? Was there any data for stuff like Shaymin's sky forme in Diamond/Pearl?
Sort of, when battling Platinum vs D/P, Sky Form Shaymin looks like standard hedgehog Shaymin on the DP cart, but is treated as having Sky Form's base stats, moveset, a Grass/Flying typing, and Serene Grace.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

fade5 posted:

Sort of, when battling Platinum vs D/P, Sky Form Shaymin looks like standard hedgehog Shaymin on the DP cart, but is treated as having Sky Form's base stats, moveset, a Grass/Flying typing, and Serene Grace.

In other words, it would not be hard to make Megas backwards compatible.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

fade5 posted:

This was also the case for Deoxys formes, though Gen 3 was much more lax about the perceived base values on a pokemon during link cable communication. Rotom was handled the same way Shaymin was.

And before anybody asks about the closest equivalent we have to emulating this with mega evolutions by pointing to Origin Giratina, you literally could not take it into the wireless modes. The Griseous Orb was automatically dumped into the bag when you went to connect to anybody.

Mega Evolution is completely functionally different from just Formes though, and backwards compatibility would require patching in: new placeholder mega stones, a new set of models for the mega, metadata for switching that pokemon's attributes on the fly, and an additional sanity check for that pokemon to even have a mega evolution in the first place.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3
But surely new Megas would be a considerable selling point in a remade Pokemon which, presumably, won't have any new monsters, and will probably exist just to make certain legends (maybe Ho-oh, Lugia, etc.) and starters more easily available this gen? Not to mention new Megas would be an easy way to add value for people experiencing Poke-fatigue after XY's release only 6-7 months ago.

And since Megas require stones, you could just have a bunch of new stones in ORAS for new Mega evolutions. How many people would trade stones back to XY, especially considering the competitive scene is just going to move over to ORAS when they release?

Completely new Pokemon are one thing, but after establishing the whole Mega line, I don't know, it almost seems required to me that there be new Mega Pokemon in the remakes.

However, we are talking about Nintendo here so who knows. You're probably right.

JesusLovesRonwell fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 8, 2014

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

fade5 posted:

Metagross has a lot of options (just like all the pseudo-legendaries), so you have to pick whether you want to go defensive or offensive. Since you're breeding, that means tutor moves are out (including Stealth Rock which is what Defensive Metagross does), so I'd say some form of offensive Metagross would be best.

There is a set for Jolly Metagross, actually:

Metagross@Life Orb
Nature: Jolly
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed
~ Agility
~ Zen Headbutt
~ Earthquake
~ Meteor Mash

Set up Agility, then start killing. Since Metagross is usually expected to be slow, the surprise factor on this set is pretty good. One big problem Metagross faces is that it's now weak to Ghost and Dark Type moves thanks to the Steel Nerf, so its typing no longer covers most of its weaknesses. (Same thing happened to Jirachi.)

The other thing is just a blatant gently caress You; Meteor Mash was nerfed from 100 Power/85% Acc to 90 Power/90% Acc. The only mons that learn Meteor Mash are Clefable and Metagross, and Jirachi/Deoxys from an event. Clefable and Deoxys can't really use it well and/or prefer other coverage moves, and Jirachi prefers the 60% flinch from Iron Head, leaving Metagross as the only one who actually uses Meteor Mash.

Also, it's Beldum, as in an anagram of Dumbel(l).

Thanks for the advise.

After 5 boxes of eggs, I got my shiny, which is 31/31/31/31/x/31. Not ideal, but it'll do nicely.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

No, the value-add in remakes from Gamefreak's perspective is allowing people who hopped onto the series after the release of the original games to play them. FireRed/LeafGreen also allowed people to get a whole bunch of Pokémon which weren't accessible in Ruby/Sapphire, but that's a tangential benefit caused by the anomaly of not being able to trade forward from Gen II.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
If they, in the generation where Blaziken got a Mega, remade the game where Blaziken was a starter and didn't also give Megas to the other two starters, there would probably be a ton of outrage.

Between that and the obvious attention they're putting open Groudon and Kyogre looking different I'm fully betting on there being new Mega forms, even if they end up being unusable against X/Y opponents in Origin Giratina fashion.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

It could honestly go either way, and I could deal with being wrong.

It just seems a little bullshit that in the generation that introduced Mega Evolutions, that are enough of a core thing that they've been introduced to both the anime and the card game, that all they'd do for the remakes are two mega evolutions that evolve two things into the same thing with differing base stats.

Putting Mega Lati@s in as the sole mega evolutions would be, in a way, more offensive than not even bothering with them in these new games.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3

Crosscontaminant posted:

No, the value-add in remakes from Gamefreak's perspective is allowing people who hopped onto the series after the release of the original games to play them. FireRed/LeafGreen also allowed people to get a whole bunch of Pokémon which weren't accessible in Ruby/Sapphire, but that's a tangential benefit caused by the anomaly of not being able to trade forward from Gen II.

Allowing people access to previously inaccessible Pokemon by way of a remake is one thing, and in my opinion the only reason the remakes exist at all (aside from Pokemon being a money-printing machine). But as a single-player, JRPG experience, the Pokemon games are so similar as to be interchangeable. You'd get virtually the same experience playing XY as you would playing ORAS. And it's not like any Pokemon story has been particularly good and worth revisiting. I bought HG not to replay Gold, but to get access to a bunch of mons unavailable in DPP, and I assume that's why most people bought it as well.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If we're being honest here, most people buy the remakes because they're 10 and weren't old enough to play them back when. And for the rest I think that nostalgia for a game they enjoyed is far more prominent than "I'm going to spend $40 so I can collect these five things". The collector/competitive aspects are always the smallest portion of the user base.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

They will certainly have new (probably mega) forms for Groudon and Kyogre. Rayquaza, Sceptile and Swampert have good chances as well. Beyond that it's anyone's guess.

Having said that, it's not like GF hasn't made poor decisions before. I wouldn't be surprised if all we got was the two box legendaries and Lati@s, but I would be disappointed.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Allowing people access to previously inaccessible Pokemon by way of a remake is one thing, and in my opinion the only reason the remakes exist at all (aside from Pokemon being a money-printing machine). But as a single-player, JRPG experience, the Pokemon games are so similar as to be interchangeable. You'd get virtually the same experience playing XY as you would playing ORAS. And it's not like any Pokemon story has been particularly good and worth revisiting. I bought HG not to replay Gold, but to get access to a bunch of mons unavailable in DPP, and I assume that's why most people bought it as well.

You'd be surprised. After all, you not only have people who are nostalgic and like being able to play an old game with revised graphics and tweaks to the story they previously knew, but you also have newer generations who didn't play the games when they first came out, and want to get at least some idea of what it was like. Its going to have been eleven years since RSE first came out, and depending on how long some people had to wait before they could really start playing video games, you've got people potentially from 10-20 who never even touched that region, and so to them, this will be a new experience.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I mostly just want to see Hoenn in glorious 3d.

And I want a treehouse.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Nihilarian posted:

They will certainly have new (probably mega) forms for Groudon and Kyogre. Rayquaza, Sceptile and Swampert have good chances as well. Beyond that it's anyone's guess.

Having said that, it's not like GF hasn't made poor decisions before. I wouldn't be surprised if all we got was the two box legendaries and Lati@s, but I would be disappointed.

I'm pretty sure the box art already shows their Mega forms. Groudon looks like it's got lava veins and Kyogre has some new glowing markings and a head crest.

Nessa posted:

I mostly just want to see Hoenn in glorious 3d.

And I want a treehouse.

I'll take secret bases back if they add some functionality, remove the need to keep something with Secret Power around, and let you mark it as a Fly landmark so you don't have to go out of the way every time you want to see it.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Fortree, Sootopolis, Mt. Chimney, Pacifidlog, underwater caverns, Route 119. Be still my beating heart.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The reason why they gave Blaziken and not the other two starters a Mega was because Blaziken was the only not stupid-as-hell starter of gen III.

Also they should just give Quagsire a Mega Evolution under the "gently caress Swampert" policy. To that end, additionally subbing out Mudkip for Wooper as a starter.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

LEGO Genetics posted:

X/Y has been patched twice so far and they were both mainly bug fixes.

Except the patches aren't mandatory as far as I'm aware and I don't even know if the 3DS notifies you of any patches without first having to dig through the eShop. For any other online video game network like Steam, Xbox Live, PSN, or Origin, this wouldn't be an issue because they can either automatically install updates or notify the user that they need to install them. Nintendo's online capabilities have been deficient and lagged behind the competition for so long and I've used it so sparingly that I don't know where they stand right now.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Edward IV posted:

Except the patches aren't mandatory as far as I'm aware
They are.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Geostomp posted:

I'm pretty sure the box art already shows their Mega forms. Groudon looks like it's got lava veins and Kyogre has some new glowing markings and a head crest.
Yeah, I saw that. I don't know if they're mega evolutions but they are certainly new forms of some kind.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Specifically, they're mandatory if you want to do anything that involves going online.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Edward IV posted:

Except the patches aren't mandatory as far as I'm aware and I don't even know if the 3DS notifies you of any patches without first having to dig through the eShop.

They do. When you load up an unpatched game on a 3DS that's on been connected to the internet it alerts you to a new game patch on the main menu. I learned that after swapping out my memory cards fairly recently.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Occupation posted:

The reason why they gave Blaziken and not the other two starters a Mega was because Blaziken was the only not stupid-as-hell starter of gen III.

Also they should just give Quagsire a Mega Evolution under the "gently caress Swampert" policy. To that end, additionally subbing out Mudkip for Wooper as a starter.

Swampert rules actually

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Occupation posted:

You have really bad opinions about Pokemon.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Occupation posted:

Quagsire committed a cardinal sin by forcing you to evolve Wooper, the cutest of Pokemon. Quagsire is a chump compared to Wooper who is both adorable and huggable.

Swampert on the other hand is the coolest dude this side of Kanto and should run for president.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

If Gamefreak stuck in Colonel Crazy/Burnco and left out its retarded evolution from Quartz I would die an infinitely happier man.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Quagsire committed a cardinal sin by forcing you to evolve Wooper, the cutest of Pokemon. Quagsire is a chump compared to Wooper who is both adorable and huggable.

Swampert on the other hand is the coolest dude this side of Kanto and should run for president.

All Water/Ground types take a bow to Gastrodon anyway.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I wonder what the Pokédex for ORAS is going to be like. I'm expecting it to have the Pokémon that were in Ruby and Sapphire's dex, along with the Emerald post-game safari zone, plus the Pokémon that you need to use that Pokétransporter for (excluding the starters and legendaries of course.)

Actually, I'm guessing that the Game Corner in Mauville probably won't appear so there might be something else in its place... But what?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

less laughter posted:

All Water/Ground types take a bow to Gastrodon anyway.

Poor Whishcash... :(

Why the hell are there so many water/ground types anyways?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Technogeek posted:

Specifically, they're mandatory if you want to do anything that involves going online.

Okay, that's good. I was afraid that they could run into a situation where different versions of the game are running online that won't be able to connect with each other. If someone ran into that situation online because they're out of date, it becomes an ordeal to save and exit the game, download and install the update, and then start up the game and resume. It's better that that stuff is automatically handled or dealt with before playing the game.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
I would like a remake of the Gen 1 games using the X/Y engine. And by Gen 1 games, I mean Pokemon Yellow.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
On the subject of Ruby and Sapphire, did anyone ever get lucky enough to find Mirage Island? Cause I never did :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Fortree, Sootopolis, Mt. Chimney, Pacifidlog, underwater caverns, Route 119. Be still my beating heart.

This guy knows what's important

• Locked thread