Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Ironic detachment from all criticism is for fat people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
who the gently caress cares about what fatties think

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Person: Getting fat?
Me: tryin to haha

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fat acceptance is hardly a movement, they are mostly sedentary. :D

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Fauxtool posted:

Fat acceptance is hardly a movement, they are mostly sedentary. :D

They have a large movement about once a week i think

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
From a few pages ago, but oh well:

Crain posted:

Is it just me or is there something really...off about this kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lix3d/lix-the-smallest-3d-printing-pen-in-the-world

It's another 3d printing pen. And to their credit they have a development plan and put a lot of effort into the proposal and their website. But the video and the fact that everything about the donor tiers and rewards makes me think this isn't a funding project and more of an ad. Something just seems wrong here.

Hack A Day sperged out pretty hardcore on the thermodynamics of it and determined it's BS:
http://hackaday.com/2014/05/03/ask-hackaday-can-the-lix-3d-printing-pen-actually-work/

The odds that this pen will actually work while being powered by USB is pretty slim to nill.

Probably not an out and out scam - I mean, the videos look like it's actually working, but I'm guessing it's plugged into a standard wall outlet, not a USB port.

So in other words, it's just a slightly prettier-looking 3Doodler.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Stalking is of course unacceptable but in extreme cases unavoidable, sometime it is just not possible to keep a fat out of your sight

I mean obviously its unacceptable, but in extreme cases there's just nothing you can do.
I'm sorry officer, he was just so fat that I had to stalk him. I'm sure you understand.

loving goons man.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 21:09 on May 7, 2014

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Only quasi-related, those guys from the doomed Cheap rear end Comiks KS didn't take too kindly to me calling their crappy kickstarter and comic a pile of stupid bullshit.

quote:

This goes out to the writer of this post:

loving Right! It’s about time somebody talks about Cheap rear end Comiks!! You (rear end in a top hat) have given us the greatest gift of all….a negative critique:) Do you really think we give a poo poo about your words, as a matter a fact we appreciate the gesture. You obviously know nothing about our history and what we have been going through for the last 20 years to get this idea of ours off the ground!

Don’t take it the wrong way, we are not angry with you, on the contrary, we are delighted at the fact that some random dipshit pansy has taken the time out of his not-so-busy schedule to spew the written garbage that has assaulted our eyes!

I bet it feels great to sit (and hide) behind a computer screen…..it is probably the greatest feeling in the world to know that you can pretty much say anything you want (with complete disregard of others) and not have to worry about someone kicking you in the mouth:)

In conclusion, we will just like to clarify the Cheap rear end Comiks NEVER WAS and NEVER WILL BE a scam! We only wish to bring laughter and joy to people of our planet and hopefully prevent pathetic virgins (like yourself) from creating these shallow, judgmental, self-righteous pieces of poo poo and trying to pass it off as “journalistic gold”. Don’t quit your day job of being an rear end in a top hat sniffer and leave the comedy to the professionals:)

STAY CHEAP AND PROSPER!!

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Sarcastic. Sadistic. British.
:britain:
:wotwot:
They also use MySpace and have 9 likes on Facebook. That truly is an awful Kickstarter; they couldn't even get a single $1 pledge on a $500 goal. :allears:

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Myspace exists?!

quote:

Just had to "lay down the law" on a sucka!!

Check out the link and share to as many people as possible!!

They can share the shame of threatening to kick a 21 year old woman in the mouth on the internet. They also posted it on their (basically dead) twitter. I also like how they liked their own comment on that link.

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 08:41 on May 8, 2014

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Just remind them that they got zero pledges.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

I reminded them that they had no fans, close enough.

I wonder if they showed up because they intend to do another lovely kickstarter?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Noyemi K posted:

I reminded them that they had no fans, close enough.

Hey now, that's not true. Someone pledged $1 on their previous Kickstarter. It's almost exactly the same project but since they only made $1 towards their $2,200 goal the first time they decided to fix it by lowering their goal to $500 and adding an incredibly lovely 3 minute video instead of the previous incredibly lovely 1 minute video. Somehow this brilliant plan backfired and they didn't get a single pledge on their second attempt.

The old video at least had some examples of the amazing t-shirts they were planning on making in their garage

quote:

These designs WILL NOT be sent to some mass producing shirt company, we plan on making EVERY shirt OURSELVES that way it will meet OUR STANDARDS!

'Standards' :rolleyes:

They designed the shirts on some website and didn't even centre the text.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

You know, they never gave that pledger the official thank you they pledged for.

Also they've resorted to picking on me for having to take meds for schizoaffective disorder :smith:

Hey, since my insurance ran out maybe I should kickstart T-shirts or something for $500, but spend the money on abilify and stuff instead.

In the meantime, I'll have a larf at the expense of yet another game project grossly underestimating the needed funding.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

quote:

I bet it feels great to sit (and hide) behind a computer screen…..it is probably the greatest feeling in the world to know that you can pretty much say anything you want (with complete disregard of others) and not have to worry about someone kicking you in the mouth:)
Is there a version of :ironicat: that spits out smaller :ironicat:s because I want that

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The Cheap rear end Comiks website is like a aprdoy of late 90s Geocities. It's literally unreadable. :stare:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/800612063/twerk-island-a-real-contest-movie

This is a real contest movie and not at all a scam (real).

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
:japan: "This (tabletop) RPG is just like Japanimation!" :japan:

Wa, the Anime & Manga RPG posted:

Wa (short for "Wasureimonogatari") is an action-oriented, table-top role-playing-focused game set in a fantasy version of feudal Japan, where spirits, monsters, and kami are all very real.
The main mechanic in Wa is an opposed Skill Roll that the player can get bonuses on for interesting role-playing and well described combat techniques.

Roll dice at each other and be the best catsamurai!

"It's not glorious Nippon; that's one long island with other smaller islands. Our world is special, and it's called the "Land of Kyokutō"!

Open Game World posted:

We want Wa to be a well-used, widespread world. We want people to write stories, novels, adventures, and their own games in it. For that reason, we're making the world Open Source.

You can use Wa as a starting point for your own projects, and there's a chance that we'll incorporate particularly good material back into the game (if and only if you let us). You can write a story or use it for roleplaying forums, or do fan art, anything you want with it.

Think about our world like a GitHub project. You can use the source code to create something new, to help out with something else you're working on, or just a schema to create something else entirely.

Stretch Goals posted:

$2,000 - Scrolls of Law and Mastery: Player and GM Rules
$4,000 - Scroll of Paths: Skill descriptions and examples
$20,000 - Scroll of Names: NPC Stats and Bestiary

The minimum goal doesn't include skills, monsters, or setting materials!

Cool Media posted:

At Voidspiral entertainment, we like anime.

"No way!" you may say, but it's true. Here's a list of some of the most inspirational anime, manga and visual novels for Wa.
  • Naruto
  • Ruroni Kenshin
  • Basalisk
  • Ninja Scroll
  • Chronicles of the Cursed Sword
  • Negima
  • Fate/Stay Night
  • Evangelion
  • Bleach

Animeee

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I wish I lived on the island of raichu

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the anime they like is like saying you are a fan of music then listing crazy frog as your favorite

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Something like that could be pretty cool if it was done in a tongue in cheek sort of way and had mechanics that were more interesting than just opposed skill rolls.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This game also already exists, it's called Tenra Bansho Zero and it's pretty good. I doubt this can compete.

Also, tabletop RPG is the last thing I'd imagine seeing as yet another open source thing on KS.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
The island of Kachou is bumpin', I tell ya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92-_16MYpR4

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

That kickstarter is a fascinating case study in just how little anime goofiness it takes to ruin what could be a pretty neat setting.

Also, there's no way that "bonus points for roleplaying" won't devolve into schoolyard-style make-believe escalation and pulling stuff out of your rear end.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Why would it? Plenty of games reward roleplaying. FATE even makes it a central tenant. No, this game will be a complete mess, but not for those reasons. RPGs benefit from strong directional guidance, you need core mechanics that integrate logically with the rest of the game. They're basically expecting the fans to write the game for them, which has Never Ended Well.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

It looks like "EDC" (everyday carry) is trying to become a kickstarter buzzword.

Because everyone needs to carry around these metal EDC tops.

Or a belt with a buckle rated to hold 3000+ pound loads. (Note, might actually be useful, more just me thinking that tagging it with 'edc' is stupid.)

Why are pens so popular?

How about a badass metal comb with a skull?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

taiyoko posted:

Or a belt with a buckle rated to hold 3000+ pound loads. (Note, might actually be useful, more just me thinking that tagging it with 'edc' is stupid.)

Please explain what use cases you can think of where a belt buckle with a 3000+ lbs breaking strain "might actually be useful", thank you.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FrozenVent posted:

Please explain what use cases you can think of where a belt buckle with a 3000+ lbs breaking strain "might actually be useful", thank you.

This kind of guy

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Install Windows posted:

This kind of guy

Still not seeing how that can possibly come up to 3000 pounds. AKA a motherfucking ton and a half.

Also if someone could point me towards a belt with a 3000 pounds breaking stress... Kevlar, I guess?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FrozenVent posted:

Still not seeing how that can possibly come up to 3000 pounds. AKA a motherfucking ton and a half.

Also if someone could point me towards a belt with a 3000 pounds breaking stress... Kevlar, I guess?

I'm saying it's for huge nerds.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Install Windows posted:

This kind of guy

Carrying a flashlight: not remarkable at all.
Carrying a sidearm: not that remarkable for some professions.
Carrying lock picks: slightly more remarkable, but not intensely so.

Carrying all three at once: Walking Probable Cause.

As for "why are pens so common on kickstarter" -- a lot of those look like Baby's First CNC Aluminum Mill Project. But on a wider note, pens are in that sweet spot of "personal affect, used daily, comparatively inexpensive" that KS can fill well. I'll admit to having funded a few pen projects on KS, because I'm a sucker for well-balanced fountain pens.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ullerrm posted:

Carrying a flashlight: not remarkable at all.
Carrying a sidearm: not that remarkable for some professions.
Carrying lock picks: slightly more remarkable, but not intensely so.

Carrying all three at once: Walking Probable Cause.

He's a janitor at NASA. And the one time he tried to use his fancy expensive space gun it jammed.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Yeah that EDC thing shows up a lot with people whose one source of information on current events are the blurbs on the back of Tom Clancy novels. These are weirdos who will never justify all the bullshit they carry because they never loving do anything. It's like the ROTC but even sadder.

Ask me my opinions on other subtypes of internet weirdos, I have many.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

...of SCIENCE! posted:

He's a janitor at NASA. And the one time he tried to use his fancy expensive space gun it jammed.

Haha nah he's some goon who used to work at some random data center, but insisted on always wearing his NASA gift store shirts in photos.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Noyemi K posted:

Only quasi-related, those guys from the doomed Cheap rear end Comiks KS didn't take too kindly to me calling their crappy kickstarter and comic a pile of stupid bullshit.

Their posts are more amusing than any webcomic they will ever make. :munch:

sinking belle posted:

Is there a version of :ironicat: that spits out smaller :ironicat:s because I want that

Alternate suggestion:

Evil Fluffy has a new favorite as of 05:36 on May 9, 2014

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

taiyoko posted:

They have a really cool pitch video, shame that their product is poo poo though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

taiyoko posted:

So his first project on the metal lathe was to make a spinning top, and instead of moving on to make actual useful items he instead spent years and years trying to machine the perfect top, obsessively timing and filming his attempts to break his father's spinning record?
This sounds more like a "Fund my crippling OCD" project to me than anything but he's reached almost 10 times his project goal with nearly two weeks to go so what do I know? :shrug:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

So his first project on the metal lathe was to make a spinning top, and instead of moving on to make actual useful items he instead spent years and years trying to machine the perfect top, obsessively timing and filming his attempts to break his father's spinning record?
This sounds more like a "Fund my crippling OCD" project to me than anything but he's reached almost 10 times his project goal with nearly two weeks to go so what do I know? :shrug:

Geez. It'd be a cute nerd toy, I think, if it wasn't twenty-eight dollars. Mind, that's at a discount. Retail price is $35!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

quote:

469 Backers
$32,781 pledged of $3,500 goal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Their posts are more amusing than any webcomic they will ever make. :munch:

Hey now, they made videos, too. This one and "stress relief" are my favourites (please laugh).

Oh yeah, and much like doobie, he tried to tweet to his idols to get some responses and traffic. As if a massive celebrity would return his tweets.