Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

This isn't true at all.

Yeah, you can play a dude and have small tits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

i am paul newman posted:

I feel like my mom complaining about it, but the customization options are all skeevy and bother me more than performance or UI issues. Draken girls look like an ant laying an egg, human girls look like that racist basketball grandpa's girlfriend.

It's dumb, but sex sells, and there's nothing to do about it. It's not even limited to the females; all of the men are hypermuscular and all buff and SUPER TESTOSTERONE, BRO, YEEEAAAAAH. The difference between the Draken/Mechari/Granok males and females is almost terrifying; even the Aurin, surprise surprise, are standard sexual archetypes on both genders - the females are a given, being cat/bunny-girls, but the males, aside from being cat/bunny-boys, largely have the facial structure and overall charm of any "sexy anime" anti-hero: Uchiha Sasuke from Naruto; Riku from Kingdom Hearts; and so on.

I don't necessarily disagree with it, because generally it's an effective market, let's face it. I am, however, going to happily pick the least sexualized race, which happens to be the Chua, who are even so far as unspecified in gender. Chua don't care. They just want to blow things up.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Seriously Chua exist solely to poo poo on the body type cry babies. The human males are all like the exact opposite of any goon and I don't see anyone complaining. I mean I love to play as a fat lazy slob in any game that gives me the chance, but I'll play Chua in this game because its awesome.

Look at this smug mother fucker.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 9, 2014

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Bad Rats on Nexus Dominion is up, shoot Doublestep, CrashCat, ProfessorLatency, or AReptileDysfunction a tell in game with something goony and they can shoot you a /ginvite

Anyone can invite since this is beta and I just want people to get into the guild don't invite pubbies yadda yadda

If I'm AFK when you whisper me I'll be back within 10-15 minutes to at least tab over

e: IRC is probably the best place to be for guild invites since people are idling in there a lot.

Doublestep fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 9, 2014

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.
Just putting it out there that the addon system in this game is pretty goddamn amazing. Reloading Addons parses for new addons, so you don't have to reboot the game on new installs or updates. In fact if you install an addon while the game is running it detects it and asks if you want to reload. GODDAMN.no it doesn't i'm stupid. That being said, grab this on Curse (curse client works with Wildstar btw, use it, its not entirely terrible):

ClassicQuestDialog - Better quest dialogs.
BetterQuestLog - WoW-like quest log
CustomFoV - Lets you change FoV, HUGE difference
DeadLockExt - Lets you lock your RMB on basically. Steer is better.
Steer - Basically better DeadLockExt.
KeyBindFreedom - Lets you bind poo poo to your LMB/RMB. Amazing along with Steer.
IconLoot - Better icons for poo poo you pick up.
Erin's Speedy Quest - Lets you press keys for choosing quest rewards and junk. Only seems to work with quests you access/complete via your communicator. This might be a conflict issue with ClassicQuestDialog, or it might be a limitation of the addon system.
JunkIt - Puts a button to sell junk. Also supports auto-repair, auto-junk-sell, and autoselling whites (or whatever quality you want)
Gorynych - Allows third-party translations for the entire game's UI. Not useful for me, but man, this is pretty stellar.
TheVisitor - Lets you just type in people's names to visit their house. I imagine this might be ripe for loving with people.

There's a few others I'm trying, I'll post when I find something else mindshattering.

Thanks to a cat on an apple for posting this: Here's a program for handling Addon zip files, if you find one that isn't on Curse and you want to download it.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Don't install BijiPlates or any other nameplate addon. It eats something like .3 ms/frame, which can kill your FPS.

Tupper fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 9, 2014

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Tupper posted:

Just putting it out there that the addon system in this game is pretty goddamn amazing. Reloading Addons parses for new addons, so you don't have to reboot the game on new installs or updates. In fact if you install an addon while the game is running it detects it and asks if you want to reload. GODDAMN.no it doesn't i'm stupid. That being said, grab this on Curse:

ClassicQuestDialog - Better quest dialogs.
BetterQuestLog - WoW-like quest log
CustomFoV - Lets you change FoV, HUGE difference
DeadLockExt - Lets you lock your RMB on basically

There's a few others I'm trying, I'll post when I find something else mindshattering.

Last time I checked, deadlockext didn't work well, but that was awhile ago. Can you confirm if it works or not? And if it doesn't, you can add Steer and Keybindfreedom to the list. Steer is a stripped down version of deadlock, all it does is mouselock, and keybindfreedom allows you to bind any key to anything. You can bind your mouse buttons to attacks, and the game will override it if your mousepointer is over a UI window (like quests accepting and settings and such).

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
This game is confusing the poo poo out of me. It seems absolutely terrible and derivative and awful. I'm about level 10 or 11 and I haven't seen a quest that wasn't horrible.

At the same time, I REALLY want to like it because of the art style and animation.

I have a tremendous tolerance for holy trinity MMOs (in fact I prefer them) but I cannot figure out what the hell this game wants to be.

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.

Bauxite posted:

Last time I checked, deadlockext didn't work well, but that was awhile ago. Can you confirm if it works or not? And if it doesn't, you can add Steer and Keybindfreedom to the list. Steer is a stripped down version of deadlock, all it does is mouselock, and keybindfreedom allows you to bind any key to anything. You can bind your mouse buttons to attacks, and the game will override it if your mousepointer is over a UI window (like quests accepting and settings and such).

I'm using DeadLockExt Right now. It works great. Those two might be better though.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Rylek posted:

Don't forget

http://www.curse.com/ws-addons/wildstar/220129-keybindfreedom

So you can bind your mouse buttons to attacks, and now you can play the game like it should have been designed from day one.

I've unzipped both of these to appdata/roaming/username/ncsoft/wildstar/addons, yet they're not on the ingame addon list, even after refreshing

BUT when I hit restore defaults it knows which files to remove so I have to assume they;re in the right place?

Pound_Coin fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 9, 2014

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Game engine still seems reaaaally poorly optimized and it's hard to believe they're going to fix it in the few weeks they've got left. The relative scarcity of people with the hardware necessary to run the game smoothly is going to hurt them I predict.

e: Heh whoops, looks like I'm not the first person itt to notice this

Torka fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 9, 2014

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.
I swapped to Steer and KeyBindFreedom. Its pretty drat good.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

Platypus Farm posted:

This game is confusing the poo poo out of me. It seems absolutely terrible and derivative and awful. I'm about level 10 or 11 and I haven't seen a quest that wasn't horrible.

At the same time, I REALLY want to like it because of the art style and animation.

I have a tremendous tolerance for holy trinity MMOs (in fact I prefer them) but I cannot figure out what the hell this game wants to be.

Yeah, I made a medic settler and played the tutorial until it crashed my machine at level 2. I'm already getting bored of searching for clickables in the world. It seems like the combat will be great and the whole settler/player building concept looks cool. It feels like they're rubbing my nose in their cute steampunk art and lore, instead of letting me just explore it.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Poor Chua. :smith:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Lemon King posted:

Poor Chua. :smith:

Some things are worth dying for.

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.
Updated my stupid list of stupid addons. Notably the :gay:roleplaying:gay: addons are looking to be amazing. I hope the Roleplaying server wins out, I need my requisite allotment of pretty pretty princesses

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

This isn't true at all.

can you play a furry with big tits in this game? asking for a friend

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Might be worth adding to the OP, if anyone is having trouble with addons, like I was, someone created a handy tool for addon management. I used it myself, you just drag the .zip folder right into the program and it automatically does everything necessary to set it up for WildStar to be able to read it.

e: Here's the direct download to the program.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

When I'm not dead tired I'll post about a few other addons. I especially like the ones to point to gather nodes and lore nodes. They're not that hard to find, but I am dumb and miss things. Also I find I'm a lot less stupid when I set up AuraMastery to ding at me when I can hit a reaction ability or my resources filled up (well, for the ones that build instead of drain). Oh and of course there's a bulk mail opener for the auction junkies, I forget the name.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
i would like doublestep to address the issue of why he betrays me by spending $60 minimum on wildstar instead of spending half that on dayz

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

i would like doublestep to address the issue of why he betrays me by spending $60 minimum on wildstar instead of spending half that on dayz

dayz is bad

and Wildstar is 45 bucks on gmg

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Doublestep posted:

dayz is bad

and Wildstar is 45 bucks on gmg

rooty tooty show
ringabel that booty

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Tupper posted:

I swapped to Steer and KeyBindFreedom. Its pretty drat good.

Got both of these working, mouse-look and lmb for attack, how is this not the default set-up, what you start with is loving terrible, A&D to turn? this isn't 1997, I'm not using a loving keypad to play Hexen here.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Sorry for what's probably a boring question by now but where are Eurogoons going?

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

What size is the client? I'm guessing around 16-18 gigs?

Edit: According to their system reqs, 22 gigs. What the gently caress

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Brain In A Jar posted:

My client directory is 17.1GB, so I assume 22GB is for the installation while it's unpacking and all that jazz.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Brain In A Jar posted:

You want me to throw it on a USB stick and mail it to you? It'd probably be faster than you trying to download it on your terrible Kiwi internet :v:

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Psykmoe posted:

Remember the talk about the right mouse button towards the end of the last thread? Apparently the rabbit hole of opaque UI design goes deeper.

Why would you do this, it looks like the design doc just said "Come up with something complicated we'll offer no documentation for so everyone just throws up their hands and looks for addons to mod our obtuse UI so they can rebind RMB like they are used from games in the year of our lord 2014".

Why make a good UI when you can get the community to do it for you, and then also convince them this is a feature.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

It's incredibly disappointing that between Closed Beta (which I participated in) and Open Beta that there's been seemingly nothing done on optimization. The game still runs like absolute crap on my computer and I have a mid-range system. I was expecting them to have this sorted out by this point, especially since they're nearing launch, but it seems like I'm not the only person still running into this issue.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

hampig posted:

Why make a good UI when you can get the community to do it for you, and then also convince them this is a feature.
It looks like it took more work to setup this awful control design then implement it properly.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Taear posted:

It's bizzare to me that 15/20 is unplayable, I've played games without too much issue at 10 or even 5 (usually PvP ones where it's super duper crowded at this point).
Okay it's not ideal, but 20 seems like you wouldn't really notice a difference.

As someone who not so long ago poked at ini files and SM3 emulators just to get games working at >10 fps, let me tell you that the difference between 20-30 and 30-40fps is enormous, never mind Wildstar's 15-30 with dips well under 10 fps. The best part is that it runs so poorly because the rendering engine does stupid poo poo not actually complex visuals and effects.

CHOWTIME
Jan 4, 2013

power...
I could only stand playing this game for about 2 hours.
Whether it's the lack of weight to everything in the world, the terrible quests or the poor performace I couldn't really say. The fact that it's not F2P is insane to me.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Vanderdeath posted:

It's incredibly disappointing that between Closed Beta (which I participated in) and Open Beta that there's been seemingly nothing done on optimization. The game still runs like absolute crap on my computer and I have a mid-range system. I was expecting them to have this sorted out by this point, especially since they're nearing launch, but it seems like I'm not the only person still running into this issue.

Except that I've gone from 20-ish FPS to 40-90 over the last few betas. But here's the thing, my experience counts for about as much as yours; Nothing, because we both have a meaninglessly small sample size. If the game's performance for you is bad and that is a deal breaker for you then you shouldn't buy it, that's a reasonable decision. But you can't say that nothing has been done when performance has increased for some unknown number of people. Plus I'm pretty sure they are doing something about the performance problems, both because they have said they are and because I'm pretty sure they want people to buy the game they have spent years making.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

It's weird how performance can vary so wildly, but all I can personally say is that for me performance has never been better (i5-2500k, 660ti, 8GB ram). Most people I've spoken to also seem to have it running smoothly whereas it wasn't just a week or two back.

I will say that some further tweaking of quest flow might be good. I personally like where it is now, but I know not everyone enjoys optimizing questing routes on their own like I do. I think just making breadcrumb quests more obvious would go a long way for that.

The last few pages really seem filled with the olympic games of hyperbole and leaping to conclusions, but then again that is the time-honored, traditional way of mmogames forums in general.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Humans should get to use this bodytype:

For people who want to roleplay....Flint Lockwood's dad??

Edit: Also wow, just tried Steer and KeybindFreedom and it's great!

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 9, 2014

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Except that I've gone from 20-ish FPS to 40-90 over the last few betas. But here's the thing, my experience counts for about as much as yours; Nothing, because we both have a meaninglessly small sample size. If the game's performance for you is bad and that is a deal breaker for you then you shouldn't buy it, that's a reasonable decision. But you can't say that nothing has been done when performance has increased for some unknown number of people. Plus I'm pretty sure they are doing something about the performance problems, both because they have said they are and because I'm pretty sure they want people to buy the game they have spent years making.

I think in my case the performance has gone backwards. I swear I had to tune down even more graphical options down to minimal this time around. But I'm still getting a flickery slideshow. Recommended requirements, my rear end.

Really, this is getting stupid. I started with really liking this game, but if I can't play it even though those guys keep telling me I can, then I just give up. I guess I have to put the game on the backburner for a few more years, because no way in hell do I upgrade my PC just for a game. Games can wait. If Wildstar is still around in 2-3 years, maybe I'll try it out then.

I guess the sample size has gone up by count of one, now. :v:

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Libluini posted:

I think in my case the performance has gone backwards. I swear I had to tune down even more graphical options down to minimal this time around. But I'm still getting a flickery slideshow. Recommended requirements, my rear end.

Really, this is getting stupid. I started with really liking this game, but if I can't play it even though those guys keep telling me I can, then I just give up. I guess I have to put the game on the backburner for a few more years, because no way in hell do I upgrade my PC just for a game. Games can wait. If Wildstar is still around in 2-3 years, maybe I'll try it out then.

I guess the sample size has gone up by count of one, now. :v:

Hell, Guild Wars is still around. I'm sure if you wait 3 or 4 months it'll be f2p, too!

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Of all the complaints, the one I don't get is the "terrible quests". It's 100% standard MMO fare. With the exception of GW2, I've done exactly the same quests in every other game. Questing is dull and boring, no matter whether it's a public quest to save a farm or collecting 10 bear asses.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

TyrantWD posted:

Of all the complaints, the one I don't get is the "terrible quests". It's 100% standard MMO fare. With the exception of GW2, I've done exactly the same quests in every other game. Questing is dull and boring, no matter whether it's a public quest to save a farm or collecting 10 bear asses.

It's because in this game they're obviously zero effort. There's no neat setpieces, there's no interesting premise or any imagination at all. It's just "go click this poo poo on the ground. Go click this other poo poo."

I got up to level, I think 13? Before I finally threw my hands up and quit and the game hasn't stopped feeling like a tutorial yet. By comparison, FFXIV, the most recent theme park mmo to come out with a similar model, takes the same quests and at least adds cool flavor and some level of excitement to rehased MMO quests.

Hell, the latest wow expansion which I didn't enjoy at all after leveling was a FUN leveling experience. I'm sure it was awful after the second or third time, but the first time you were going through neat zones, exploring pretty much however you wanted to explore, and followed a number of interesting storylines throughout. Admittedly, in this game I just followed the Chua/medic path so it might be different for others, but this was like a 3 hour tutorial followed by going to a guy who says "I AM A GENERAL, GO AND FIGHT FOR ME" and then... that's it.

I agree with you that on-rails MMO quest structure is almost always the same. I disagree that it has to be soulless and boring though.

edit: for clarity, all the effort in this game obviously went into canned animations (which half the time you can't notice because the game is either running at 15 FPS or a blurry, murky mess) and edgy jokes like the HOLY poo poo level up sound. Both of these things are fine, if the rest of the game is solid. This? This is honestly like playing an mmo that was made in 2005 and held until last week.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

TyrantWD posted:

No, no, no. You see, you have to make something revolutionary or you're a worthless failure and so is your game! This is why I go to RTS threads and complain about all the micromanagement, because that is totally a flaw instead of a feature of the genre. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ok, yeah, you're just trolling at this point.

• Locked thread