Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The answer's probably going to involve going to Home Depot, finding a piece of threaded rod and some nylock nuts that will fit, and just making it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
There are no threads that go there, except those for the captive spacer, which they're almost definitely not referring to. Are you sure you ended up with the right kit? But yeah, Safety Dance probably has the gist of it. Or just return the woodcrafts and order a set of motosliders, which are the nicest ones I found for the SV.

boo
Jun 12, 2002
Before taking my bike (2004 EX250) into the shop, I wanted to exhaust any simple fixes. I wanted to check that my air filter wasn't gunked up with oil, but I found the exact opposite. The filter in there looked brand new, and was absolutely dry. The strap that typically goes across the air box and battery was missing, so the air box lid moved around with ease, and definitely is not air tight. Should I soak the air filter, and find some way to strap down the lid?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Snowdens Secret posted:

The person who replaces the tire next will despise you.
This is often overstated in my experience. I've changed tires with slime in them. Didn't seem like that big a deal to me. Changing tires is nasty any way you do it, it's not like a little green poo poo makes it that much worse. And I've used it and it does help with slow leaks.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

boo posted:

Before taking my bike (2004 EX250) into the shop, I wanted to exhaust any simple fixes. I wanted to check that my air filter wasn't gunked up with oil, but I found the exact opposite. The filter in there looked brand new, and was absolutely dry. The strap that typically goes across the air box and battery was missing, so the air box lid moved around with ease, and definitely is not air tight. Should I soak the air filter, and find some way to strap down the lid?

Yeah, I'd definitely figure out how it's all supposed to be secured and then oil the filter if it needs to be. If there are any missing parts eBay should have at least 500 of them up at any given time.
Your problem still points to an electrical issue IMO but most definitely fix everything that is obvious first. If the tech who looks at your bike is any kind of decent the first thing that they will (should) recommend is to repair any missing/broken parts. That eats up labor and the dealer will charge a lot more than you can find stuff for so you'll be out a pile of cash without even having your issue looked at yet.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
You don't oil an air filter unless it's a K&N type that's meant to be oiled.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
My personal experience is that having slime in your tire makes it wobble like a motherfucker at low speeds, particularly in the front tire. I don't recommend it.

Also in my experience, shop guys get PISSED when they have it shoot out and all over their equipment. I had just bought the bike didn't know it was in there - I thought the wheel was just balanced terribly from some redneck engineering.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, I think the big deal isn't replacing the tire with the slime in it, but that if the shop guys aren't ready for it it will spill out and get all over everything. I once fixed a slow leak in my car tire with fix-a-flat and a couple of weeks later took it to the shop for replacement; I told the guys "oh, yeah, there's a can of fix-a-flat in there" and one said "oh, thanks for letting me know" in kind of a pleasantly surprised tone.

So try the same I guess.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I just saw a listing of a used KLR here in Norway, imported from the US in '97. Thinking about the practicality of having a bike that has no local spare parts I got to thinking about your wonderful measuring system.

Do motorbikes in the US come in metric or in imperial size nuts and bolts? Would I need silly 9/32 etc size spanners to work on it?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Supradog posted:

I just saw a listing of a used KLR here in Norway, imported from the US in '97. Thinking about the practicality of having a bike that has no local spare parts I got to thinking about your wonderful measuring system.

Do motorbikes in the US come in metric or in imperial size nuts and bolts? Would I need silly 9/32 etc size spanners to work on it?

This is like when people ask if the pedals are around the wrong way on RHD (or LHD) cars.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If it's a US bike i.e. a Harley, Indian or Buell it will have SAE fasteners, otherwise I think pretty much everything else is metric. (Royal Enfield probably uses fasteners measured in fractions of a horse-length or something because :britain:)

A KLR is most definitely metric.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm stunned that harley still use non-metric fasteners, what the christ. Even Holden have given that bullshit up.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Clearly based on Holden's rapidly expanding AU/NZ production, this was a decision that worked out swell for them

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Snowdens Secret posted:

Clearly based on Holden's rapidly expanding AU/NZ production, this was a decision that worked out swell for them

Made me laugh way more than it should have.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Supradog posted:

You do realize that metric sockets/wrenches are cheap and readily available in the US, right? We even measure soda in litres.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Wow, really? You guys do fuel in gallons and quarts (or whatever backwards terminology you have for it) but soft drink in litres? How does that make sense?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Shimrod posted:

Wow, really? You guys do fuel in gallons and quarts (or whatever backwards terminology you have for it) but soft drink in litres? How does that make sense?

Oh don't worry. Using different measurements here and there, what could possibly go wrong?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Shimrod posted:

Soda sizes are deliberately obfuscated so they can shrink the bottles and hope no one notices

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Converting between different systems of measurement has never led to life-threatening mistakes either.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Kilersquirrel posted:

Also in my experience, shop guys get PISSED when they have it shoot out and all over their equipment. I had just bought the bike didn't know it was in there - I thought the wheel was just balanced terribly from some redneck engineering.
Did a shop guy actually get pissed at you? I work at a shop -- see my previous post -- and I don't see what the big deal is.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Shimrod posted:

UK does fuel in liters but measures consumption in miles per (imperial) gallon. If you're going to mix the systems, why not use miles per liter? Or liters per 100 miles?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

That's so stupid..

Linedance:

I always thought the UK used Metric for everything? Learn a new thing every day.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Doesn't matter how carefully or how crazy I drive, it always gets 1.6 kilometers to the mile.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Shimrod posted:

That's so stupid..

Linedance:

I always thought the UK used Metric for everything? Learn a new thing every day.
UK is really confused on measurements. Some things are metric, some things are imperial. Doesn't make things easier that imperial measurements in many cases differ from american measurements even if they have the same name. For instance a UK gallon is 4.55 liters, but a US gallon is 3.79 liters. A UK pint is 0.57 liters, while a US pint is 0.47.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Collateral Damage posted:

If it's a US bike i.e. a Harley, Indian or Buell it will have SAE fasteners, otherwise I think pretty much everything else is metric. (Royal Enfield probably uses fasteners measured in fractions of a horse-length or something because :britain:)

Buells use a mixture of both, as do a lot of US-manufacturer cars.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Haha, sorry about opening the :can:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Ola posted:

Doesn't matter how carefully or how crazy I drive, it always gets 1.6 kilometers to the mile.

:golfclap:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

After I posted that I realized the V-Rod might use metric fasteners in the engine at least.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Supradog posted:

Haha, sorry about opening the :can:

No worms, just friendly chatting. Supposedly the wrong topic but ehhhhhhhh.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

After I posted that I realized the V-Rod might use metric fasteners in the engine at least.

Harley specific tool kits include a 10mm combination wrench along with a 10mm socket.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Snowdens Secret posted:

You don't oil an air filter unless it's a K&N type that's meant to be oiled.

Uh, like every single dirtbike foam filter on earth needs to be oiled.

But yeah, for a Ninja 250, I wouldnt think that would need to be oiled.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

It does.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah pre gens use foam.

How many co2 cartridges does it take to fill a tire? I am losing confidence in my little air compressor.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

I have a 2009 Enfield, and it honest to god uses British/Whitworth thread, along with a random mix of metric and like three SAE fasteners. gently caress Royal Enfield.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Was it someone here who said Triumph used unicorn sizes too? And not only threads, but head sizes as well?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 9, 2014

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Question: I've had an 08 FZ1 (With ~9k miles) for a little while now and I've noticed recently that it has a knocking feeling coming through the bars. The bike runs great and doesn't exhibit signs of clutch slippage but I still think it may be the clutch itself. It has the normal rattle with the clutch engaged or disengaged but I still feel vibrations coming through the bars that feels like a knock. It does this stopped with the clutch in as well as when moving making me think it's not a steering head bearing (I just replaced that recently). It feels pretty uniform in its frequency to me. I don't think it's an actual knock as it doesn't seem to get way worse at any point (when started up cold, etc.) and it doesn't get worse at higher revs.

I've replaced the chain and sprockets recently and have essentially ruled out that cause (especially since it happens when stopped). I just changed the oil to Rotella T6 maybe 500 miles ago - some research I've done had other people saying their clutch was acting up until they swapped to T6 and then the problem went away. I seem to have no clutch slippage issues but just this knocking.

I plan on pulling the cover and checking the plates once I get a new gasket in but figured someone may have experience with this here. This problem doesn't seem to happen at higher RPM's that I can feel and the bike accelerates as it always has without problem. I sometimes will notice that if I let the clutch out while moving after downshifting it will be a little "grabby" for lack of a better term where it almost feels like the bike is taking a second and then it engages abruptly. It really feels to me like perhaps the clutch basket has some movement causing this problem.

Any input on my ramblings? I plan on switching away from T6 once I get the gasket in and check things just to rule that out as well.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I mentioned I was having issues with my '08 WR250 earlier this week, finally had some time to look it over and decided (luckily) to start with the most basic. Yup I found the problem pretty quick.

Note to others: Don't be a lazy rear end in a top hat like me. When you get a new (to you) bike do basic maintenance asap.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Linedance posted:

UK does fuel in liters but measures consumption in miles per (imperial) gallon. If you're going to mix the systems, why not use miles per liter? Or liters per 100 miles?

poo poo I honestly thought petrol came out of the pump in gallons over there. gently caress me that's retarded.

Safety Dance posted:

I can't speak for any Chrysler products but GM and Ford have definitely stopped doing this now.

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Question: I've had an 08 FZ1 (With ~9k miles) for a little while now and I've noticed recently that it has a knocking feeling coming through the bars. The bike runs great and doesn't exhibit signs of clutch slippage but I still think it may be the clutch itself. It has the normal rattle with the clutch engaged or disengaged but I still feel vibrations coming through the bars that feels like a knock. It does this stopped with the clutch in as well as when moving making me think it's not a steering head bearing (I just replaced that recently). It feels pretty uniform in its frequency to me. I don't think it's an actual knock as it doesn't seem to get way worse at any point (when started up cold, etc.) and it doesn't get worse at higher revs.

I've replaced the chain and sprockets recently and have essentially ruled out that cause (especially since it happens when stopped). I just changed the oil to Rotella T6 maybe 500 miles ago - some research I've done had other people saying their clutch was acting up until they swapped to T6 and then the problem went away. I seem to have no clutch slippage issues but just this knocking.

I plan on pulling the cover and checking the plates once I get a new gasket in but figured someone may have experience with this here. This problem doesn't seem to happen at higher RPM's that I can feel and the bike accelerates as it always has without problem. I sometimes will notice that if I let the clutch out while moving after downshifting it will be a little "grabby" for lack of a better term where it almost feels like the bike is taking a second and then it engages abruptly. It really feels to me like perhaps the clutch basket has some movement causing this problem.

Any input on my ramblings? I plan on switching away from T6 once I get the gasket in and check things just to rule that out as well.

You really need to describe the sensation better and tell us if it's speed/rpm/turning related. I don't see how anything clutch related could possibly be felt through the bars.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Baller Witness Bro posted:

That definitely sounds like something fishy going on, my '06 with ~14k doesn't do that, clutch in or clutch out.

Shimrod posted:

That's so stupid..

Linedance:

They use miles for distance/speed measurements on roadways, and also people still sometimes use stones/pounds for weights. Anytime someone makes fun of the US for still not going metric, I can always direct them to the UK, which is even worse, since they're supposed to be metric but still keep using imperial for ~~some~~ things, which is way more confusing than just being all one or the other.
http://www.bigdug.co.uk/images/10-mph-speed-limit-safety-sign-p3680-199421_zoom.jpg

Slavvy posted:

I can't speak for any Chrysler products but GM and Ford have definitely stopped doing this now.

What's even more hilarious is Ford had the Ranger pickup, and also made the Mazda B-series pickups (NA market only) - the Mazda version is 100% metric, but the Ranger version (which is essentially the same truck, same engine) is a mix of SAE and Metric on older models. They had to specifically decide it was a good idea to mix them, because they already had a version of the truck that didn't mix fastener types. They actually spent more money to make one version of the truck that included non-metric fasteners, it would have been cheaper to just make both versions use the same (all-metric). :psyduck:

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
The sensation is the knocking feeling. I can feel a repeating knock at lower rpm through the grips while riding or stopped. I'm not sure about the not being able to feel it thing. I can definitely feel my clutch engaging or disengaging as far as it grabbing. This feels to me like the clutch basket is moving or something. It's hard to describe really as its just a light knock that I can feel in my throttle hand while accelerating or revving the bike. Its not really an audible thing like a banging noise making me think it's something internal. It also seems regular in interval so it seems logical to think it's something rotating..