Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Awhile ago I was doing phantoming outside the smelter demon bonfire with those turtle knights above the lava, the host and his phantom pal ran ahead before I loaded in.

I loaded in just in time to watch the red phantom who was ahead of me pull the lever to dunk the host and his phantom pal who were on the turtle knight platform into the lava, I couldn't even be mad at that, just lucky that I was around to witness it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Roman posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/236430/discussions/0/558755529569809677
"FromSoftware will be temporarily removing VAC support for Dark Souls II at 11:00PM Pacific Time May 8th to work on optimal functionality."

Not getting the "Cannot join Dark Souls 2 Servers" prompt and seeing this when turning around gave me a boner.

Thank you blessed FromSoftware.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Tensei posted:

So, uh, twinking is still very much a thing if you put your mind to it. By way of experiment I rushed a fresh character straight to Iron Keep while skipping as many normal enemies as possible and summoning lots of phantoms for the bosses. Now I'm killing Bellfry invaders in about 2-3 hits with a +10 Uchigatana.

The keeper covenant itself greatly encourages twinking. You can get a +10 weapon without even skipping ahead in progression because for some reason it gives you chunks and a slab basically for free.

I mean I guess that's not "twinking" since it's kind of normal gameplay, but most people who are legitimately trying to kill the gargs at that point rather than pvping will have +4 or +5 weapons.

I got a character with a +10 estoc pvping there at 110k SM, and the only bosses he's killed are the last giant, dragonrider, the pursuer and the ruin sentinels.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Tensei posted:

So, uh, twinking is still very much a thing if you put your mind to it. By way of experiment I rushed a fresh character straight to Iron Keep while skipping as many normal enemies as possible and summoning lots of phantoms for the bosses. Now I'm killing Bellfry invaders in about 2-3 hits with a +10 Uchigatana.

Speaking of sl 70 pvp

this is a good showcase of the malformed skull in SL 70 pvp:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-WiHme1Ovg

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Hail to the Queen, Baby

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

THE PWNER posted:

The keeper covenant itself greatly encourages twinking. You can get a +10 weapon without even skipping ahead in progression because for some reason it gives you chunks and a slab basically for free.

I mean I guess that's not "twinking" since it's kind of normal gameplay, but most people who are legitimately trying to kill the gargs at that point rather than pvping will have +4 or +5 weapons.

I got a character with a +10 estoc pvping there at 110k SM, and the only bosses he's killed are the last giant, dragonrider, the pursuer and the ruin sentinels.

With SM you're on a time limit, though. The more you pvp the higher your rewards become and the faster you're locked out of destroying new people. It's a terribly flawed system but it's still better than low level pyromancy and the like in Dark Souls 1.

Axel Serenity posted:

Man, I was doing so well until I got to The Gutter. My whole "Man, this game is really great not having a Blighttown :v:" bit ended pretty badly.

Worse is that I think I'm doing the game out of order, so I'm not getting many summon signs appearing, and I don't know the areas well enough to really help others to keep my humanity going. So many deaths and wasted minutes :negative:

The Gutter is by far the most lenient of the world 5 variants, you'll be fine. And don't worry about doing the four great souls out of order as there is none. Technically, if you go by the fast travel order The Gutter and what follows are last but I would say Brightsone Cove Tseldora is the hardest.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

And now you read this in a seally Svedisch accent Jå?

argondamn posted:

I actually didn't catch it until the third playthrough but, Nashandra (The Queen, you talk to her from far away because there's no way to get into the room she's in) will tell you to go into the memories of the giants in the forest after you get the Ashen Mist Heart

What?! You can talk to her from that far away? Why on earth would they put such a important npc in such a position so that you easily miss the dialogue that tells you what the hell to do next. That is some real lovely design right there. I'm honestly very disappointed in from right now, I expected better. Then again, it's not the first time I've been disappointed lately, these last few areas seem to contain a inordinate amount of enemies that will kill me from full health with one blow. It's been more like Dragon's Lair than Dark Souls to be honest.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Axel Serenity posted:

Man, I was doing so well until I got to The Gutter. My whole "Man, this game is really great not having a Blighttown :v:" bit ended pretty badly.

The Gutter itself is literally just a straight line to the boss fog which would take ~20s to sprint across if it weren't for the statues. You could probably just sprint to the second bonfire and only need to stop for .5s in the middle to chug estus.

Mr Wikstroem posted:

What?! You can talk to her from that far away? Why on earth would they put such a important npc in such a position so that you easily miss the dialogue that tells you what the hell to do next.

If you get anywhere near the dividing railing in the room she's in there's the usual "PRESS A TO TALK" prompt that shows up. It is impossible to miss if you're even slightly curious and don't just sprint past her.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mr Wikstroem posted:

What?! You can talk to her from that far away? Why on earth would they put such a important npc in such a position so that you easily miss the dialogue that tells you what the hell to do next. That is some real lovely design right there. I'm honestly very disappointed in from right now, I expected better. Then again, it's not the first time I've been disappointed lately, these last few areas seem to contain a inordinate amount of enemies that will kill me from full health with one blow. It's been more like Dragon's Lair than Dark Souls to be honest.

They do this exact same thing in the last game, sorry but this one's on you for not even trying. Why wouldn't you think you could talk with her, anyway? I went straight over as soon as I saw her, it's obvious you're meant to speak with her. She's blatantly taking Gwynevere's roll in that segment of the castle.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Manatee Cannon posted:

With SM you're on a time limit, though. The more you pvp the higher your rewards become and the faster you're locked out of destroying new people. It's a terribly flawed system but it's still better than low level pyromancy and the like in Dark Souls 1.

This is true, but the soul rewards for pvping are so low that it'd probably take a thousand successful invasions before you stop getting bites. Then you can just spend two hours leveling another character to that point and continue.

Of course, there's still at least nothing like fighting a guy with Dark Bead and HCSM when you're in the loving undead parish. I've definitely lost to at least a few legit new players even with a +10 weapon because they got the first hit in and pummeled me to death before I could move.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Mr Wikstroem posted:

Look at this peasant expecting to be in close proximity with royalty as if he/she's people. :v: But seriously, going anywhere near the rails brings up a talk prompt.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

Vanderdeath posted:

Look at this peasant expecting to be in close proximity with royalty as if he/she's people. :v: But seriously, going anywhere near the rails brings up a talk prompt.

I've actually been over there to see if the gap could be bridged somehow but apparently I either missed the prompt, had it hidden due to a message on the ground or it just didn't appear. Either way I still maintain it's poor design to change things up like that, least they could do was have her adress you as you enter the room.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I totally forgot that the door to Throne of Want even existed, so I didn't go there until the very end - does something different happen if you go there before you've got the Giant Kinship?

I saw the picture of Nashandra in her human form, where do you see her like that?

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

They do this exact same thing in the last game, sorry but this one's on you for not even trying. Why wouldn't you think you could talk with her, anyway? I went straight over as soon as I saw her, it's obvious you're meant to speak with her. She's blatantly taking Gwynevere's roll in that segment of the castle.

Obvious you say and yet me and at least one other person beg to differ. Gwynevere was also different in that she was in a room with no other exit than what you came in through and, more importantly, you can walk right up to her. Nashandra on the other hand can be seen across a railing in what appears to be a roon you'll get to later. The feeling is reinforced by the fact that the room you're in has a door you can proceed through to get to the boss.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Heliosicle posted:

I totally forgot that the door to Throne of Want even existed, so I didn't go there until the very end - does something different happen if you go there before you've got the Giant Kinship?

I saw the picture of Nashandra in her human form, where do you see her like that?

As to the first one you don't have to fight Nashandra immediately after you kill the Throne Defender and Watcher.

For the second one, you can see her in Drangleic castle prior to the Twin Dragonrider boss fight and shortly after said portrait if I'm remember correctly.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Reading the last couple of pages I'm getting the feeling its worth it for me to use a soul vessel and respec from using sorcery and going for faith instead and using miracles? I'm still fairly early into the game. Just FoFG/Tower/Lost Bastille/Sinner's rise completed. I'm at 24 faith/38 int on this character and I suppose I could drop the int and start using a melee weapon more too

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

Heliosicle posted:

Heh, it would seem as though you missed her, according to some, "obvious" appearance across the gap in the room before you fight the two dragonriders. Seriously, this just confirms my argument that they messed up with her placement in Drangleic Castle.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Mr Wikstroem posted:

Heh, it would seem as though you missed her, according to some, "obvious" appearance across the gap in the room before you fight the two dragonriders. Seriously, this just confirms my argument that they messed up with her placement in Drangleic Castle.

Ah I had a couple of phantoms with me so wasn't looking around that much, still that's dumb its so easy to miss.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah, it's almost as if Dark Souls is a 100% linear game and only FOOLS would bother ever looking around or exploring areas, huh.. :downs:

Anyhow, is it ever brought up what had been petrifying stuff around Drangleic? Straid/Rosabeth/Lion dudes.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Really not sure how you can miss it, you enter the room right across from her and you have to walk right by the prompt to talk to exit the room.

Now, not knowing about any extra dialog from her by backtracking to her when you have no reason to backtrack there, that's a legit grip.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Really not sure how you can miss it, you enter the room right across from her and you have to walk right by the prompt to talk to exit the room.

Now, not knowing about any extra dialog from her by backtracking to her when you have no reason to backtrack there, that's a legit grip.

I'm going off to bed so I'll just say that you can most definitely go through the room without ever going past the talk prompt. And now that you've brought up that second point that's going to bug me too. :bang:

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Oh I'm sure the fault is mine for not even looking ahead of me, but she could have at least said something to get my attention.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Babyface Mingo posted:

Yeah, it's almost as if Dark Souls is a 100% linear game and only FOOLS would bother ever looking around or exploring areas, huh.. :downs:

Anyhow, is it ever brought up what had been petrifying stuff around Drangleic? Straid/Rosabeth/Lion dudes.

Isn't it just the enemies in the areas? You find basilisks around by two of them and I think the mummies by Straid cause petrification as well.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Tensei posted:

Yeah, I was in there with a +10 Magic Mirrah Greatsword with Magic Weapon @ ~ SL 60, basically two shotting everyone. That's when I decided it would be better to try HELPING trespassers reach the boss door, since I could pretty much turn around at a moment's notice and wipe the floor with them. It isn't really THAT overpowered, since grabbing another 30 SL isn't that difficult this time around, and the belfry is pretty well self contained/optional, so where you can twink, it doesn't throw things off too much. People can ignore it, or at least come back latter when they might be a bit more durable. It's absolutely nothing compared to twinked burg/parish invaders, which are pretty much a thing of the past, outside of hackers.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Babyface Mingo posted:

With Straid, he mentioned they did that to him however long ago because they feared his power or something. So whoever was running the place, I suppose. With the other two, I wanna say Basalisks. Remember, with Rosabeth, there was one just waiting in ambush behind the door. And there was a giant one just chilling in Shaded Ruins.

I only know of one NPC that specifically calls out to you and that's just to make sure you don't aggro the person accidentally.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Basilisks are such a lame reason, really. The plague of petrification could have been made really, really interesting.

This is terrible but just off the top of my head, the Lions were infected first, judging by the amount of them that have been petrified. Rosabeth wasn't running away either, she was heading towards the shaded ruins, judging by the fact that she was clearly pulling on the lever opening the shaded ruin doors. Looking for a cure perhaps? Perhaps she heard of the large amount of fragrant branches that are in the shaded ruins. If an infection took a little while to turn you to stone, she'd have enough time. Only, she found herself petrified in the worst possible spot, sealing the shaded woods from the rest of Drangleic. Still, it had mixed blessings. It doomed those who were already infected as they could no longer access the area with the cure, Straid and the Ogre in Drangleic Castle for one. But on the other hand Rosabeth's petrification also quarantined the Shaded Woods, which meant no one else could be infected. So you still have NPCs and monsters running around, which means that the source of the plague is somewhere in the Shaded Ruins. Perhaps the Giant basilisk there.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

After clearing the game with my Depraved turned smashy barbarian (previously ran Knight of Clubs with a side order of Faith in DaS1) I decided to run with a caster, and boy howdy the game is a lot easier when you know enemy patterns and start with a weapon that can attack from range. Right now I'm balancing my stats for using Mundane equipment with, I only had enough stuff to make a +6 Mundane Dagger, but the damage it does is incredible even at 14 as my lowest stat.

Magmarashi posted:

Hail to the Queen, Baby

:worship: I loved watching my first character taking that well-deserved rest on his throne. Screw NG+ for now, I'm running through it all again with a different playstyle, yo.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Roman posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/236430/discussions/0/558755529569809677
"FromSoftware will be temporarily removing VAC support for Dark Souls II at 11:00PM Pacific Time May 8th to work on optimal functionality."

Now I'm encountering several god-mode cheaters. This is almost as bad as the first game. I'm just going to have to be patient but what a bummer.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Liquid Penguins posted:

Now I'm encountering several god-mode cheaters. This is almost as bad as the first game. I'm just going to have to be patient but what a bummer.

I saw like 2 hackers ever in the first game. Clearly having no anticheat or anything at all sucks but hackers aren't that prevalent are they?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Manatee Cannon posted:

The Gutter is by far the most lenient of the world 5 variants, you'll be fine. And don't worry about doing the four great souls out of order as there is none. Technically, if you go by the fast travel order The Gutter and what follows are last but I would say Brightsone Cove Tseldora is the hardest.

Well, I mostly mean in the sense of an established order for co-op. I've been doing jolly cooperation for about 95% of my time, but without any set order, it's really been a crapshoot as far as getting or receiving signs. Thankfully, with the game being so new, it hasn't been too long of a wait anywhere, but I could see in future months it being a big issue with the Soul Memory system. I'm eagerly awaiting a rough guide on "If you are SM range X-Y, go here!"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I hate people who just hide behind pillars and heal up constantly. What fun is there to even win like that? It's boring.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

THE PWNER posted:

I saw like 2 hackers ever in the first game. Clearly having no anticheat or anything at all sucks but hackers aren't that prevalent are they?

Ive only invaded about 50 times so far and met about 2 infinite hp hackers. 3 if you count meeting the same guy twice.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's a bit sad how many godmode hackers seem to summon me at the iron keep dueling bridge, but then it gets funny when I just hop on the rocks in the lava and without fail they fall into the lava, can't hack their way out of not jumping or pointlessly dodging into it.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
The Gutter is probably one of the easiest areas combat wise, there are some hard-hitting things here and there but most of the difficulty comes from the unsettling darkness and hugely annoying poison darts that's everywhere. Since I wanted a quick de-petrifying herb I sped my way through there with my second character almost immediately after doing a little exploring elsewhere, and let me tell you I was glad that I mapped out a lot of the area mentally because I didn't touch the Forest of Giants and thus had no torches at all (and of course none drop, at that). Really in general, coop is not as useful in that place because a lot of it boils down to 'where do I go' and lighting up torches as you explore along to serve as markers for later, maybe helping out by serving as a guide to get to the next area intact.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 11:47 on May 9, 2014

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

THE PWNER posted:

This is true, but the soul rewards for pvping are so low that it'd probably take a thousand successful invasions before you stop getting bites. Then you can just spend two hours leveling another character to that point and continue.

Of course, there's still at least nothing like fighting a guy with Dark Bead and HCSM when you're in the loving undead parish. I've definitely lost to at least a few legit new players even with a +10 weapon because they got the first hit in and pummeled me to death before I could move.

Unfortunately, this ain't that true for if you're white phantoming/killing bellbros. You get a huge amount of souls pretty quickly and start rocketing into the SM end of invaders who are all at the point where you'd get to Iron Keep regularly if you gunned for it/other twinks.

It's pretty interesting in terms of the playerbase, but also really irritating 'cause all I want to do is murder the poo poo out of bellbros!

edit:

Nuebot posted:

I hate people who just hide behind pillars and heal up constantly. What fun is there to even win like that? It's boring.

Just be really aggressive against 'em- it's usually pretty obvious when someone's running to heal up and the estus animation is still ultra slow/healing in general is still pretty slow regardless of AGI/ADP that you can kill them for doing it with either a guard break or a regular combo.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 12:04 on May 9, 2014

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Iretep posted:

Ive only invaded about 50 times so far and met about 2 infinite hp hackers. 3 if you count meeting the same guy twice.

How do you tell if it's infinite HP vs just lag? I've had some fights where I hit someone, it connects and makes a sound, but no damage numbers pop up. Then later on in the fight I'm able to damage them, so that would make it seem like lag.

If damage pops up but their HP doesn't move, is that=infinite hp?

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

THE PWNER posted:

I've invaded hundreds of times (belltower/red eye/rat) and seen one infinite hp hacker and one dude who had a soul lvl way higher than his memory would allow. Both of them were in grave of saints, the hacker ran right past me and the high lvl guy ran and disconnected when he hit half health.

This is two more than the original which I mostly played on the PS3.

THE PWNER posted:

How do you tell if it's infinite HP vs just lag? I've had some fights where I hit someone, it connects and makes a sound, but no damage numbers pop up. Then later on in the fight I'm able to damage them, so that would make it seem like lag.

If damage pops up but their HP doesn't move, is that=infinite hp?

The damage registers but the health instantly refills, at least with my hacker.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
What rings do you guys default to, or find the most useful in general?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Visidan posted:

The damage registers but the health instantly refills, at least with my hacker.

This is the style of infinite health hack that I've seen in the game. It's like he had a +10000hp per tick healing factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
If I'm planning to respec from tanky melee to faith because Darklurker's cave of glitchy weapon ignoring ghosts followed by a shield ignoring boss is getting really tiring to try and fight with melee, what equipment should I go looking for?

I currently have rings that increase cast speed, faith and miracle damage as well as a bunch of chimes, what are the most important stats on those that I should look for? The Protective Chime is the one with the highest overall numbers in my inventory so far, will upgrading that increase damage?