Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
In JL8 news, Sinestro's still a dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I just wish that the coloring was totally flat instead of it trying and failing to force shape and mass onto huge areas of no detail whatsoever (Gigantic Doom's chest and arms, the gatling gun, etc...).

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Pretty poor use of gradients there, yeah.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I like what they're TRYING to do with the stylized art, but I'm not sure they're entirely pulling it off. The later posted panels look pretty good, the first appearance of the giant doom looks really bad.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Lobok posted:

Who are these brave warrior-bards, challenging all to fight them?

"Uh, I'm not sure 'Take On Me' means what you thin-"

Verily these ballads do speak to the God of Thunder!

The music video of Take on Me, in the Marvel universe, is actually a metaphor for movie Thor. The attraction to a mortal woman. The journey back and forth between parallel worlds. The pipe wrench fights.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Oh, jeez, making J'onn a Black Lantern. That's a thing, yep.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

The later posted panels look pretty good, the first appearance of the giant doom looks really bad.
He looks like a fan-submitted Mega Man robot master.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Redeye Flight posted:

Oh, jeez, making J'onn a Black Lantern. That's a thing, yep.
Barry was also temporarily a Blue Lantern during Blackest Night.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

redbackground posted:

I just wish that the coloring was totally flat instead of it trying and failing to force shape and mass onto huge areas of no detail whatsoever (Gigantic Doom's chest and arms, the gatling gun, etc...).

Yes, this is the biggest thing killing the art. I don't think the gradients were this bad in the previous issues.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Red posted:

Ditto. It's just strange.

It looks like the sort of comic you'd see in a college newspaper.

I agree. This is one of the reasons I didn't like the whole AVX saga. Comics are a visual medium, if the art is bad, it doesn't matter how good the story is.

For the record, She-Hulk seems pretty fun and interesting.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ensign_Ricky posted:

In JL8 news, Sinestro's still a dick.

Sinestro was right. :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fried Chicken posted:

I still like the idea in 2099 that Doom is a legacy villain, that he takes a Kristoff like apprentice, raises them to be like him, and when he is weak he has the apprentice kill him and switch identities.

The erasure of others whole sense of self to become exactly as he was strikes me as an appropriate level of arrogance for Doom

I remember a great old What If? where Doom became Sorcerer Supreme instead of Stephen Strange. At one point Strange arrives looking to fix his hands and Doom chops them off and replaces them with metallic ones, and the Ancient One berates him for failing to recognize Strange's potential. Later Dormammu attacks the earth and Doom is mortally wounded stopping him - all the heroes of earth who consider Doom the most selfless and noble hero want to save him and he asks to be taken to Dr Strange who he claims is the only one who can save him. Strange - a success in his career but spiritually empty as a person - assumes that Doom wants him to try and fix his physical injuries but Doom says that he knows he is dying, and admits that he sensed the potential in Strange the first time they met. So now he wants Strange to take over as the earth's defender and be the new Sorcerer Supreme. Strange is confused, and then Doom hits him with the kicker as two Doombots arrive and physically restrain Strange and carry him off to a prepared machine that is going to empty Strange's mind and replace it with a copy of Doom's.

The final caption is something along the lines of,"For Doom knew that the earth must always have a Sorcerer Supreme..... and it must always be Doom."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
So literally the Superior Sorcerer Supreme?

Content: I found this from Marvel Year In Review 1993, making fun of...well, the 90s.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 9, 2014

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

That sounds great. A good twist on the typical What If twist.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
A Red Hulk? Pfft now that would just be silly.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I like how Marvel doesn't take itself too seriously.

Did DC ever do these kinds of stuff?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

I'd like to point out that DC published Justice League International.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

ImpAtom posted:

I'd like to point out that DC published Justice League International.

Also Formerly Known as the Justice League and I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

goldenoreos posted:

Also Formerly Known as the Justice League and I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League

There's a story about the end of that series which I enjoy: owing to publishing delays, the last issue of Countdown to Infinte Crisis came out first; obviously, that series ends with Max Lord revealing that he was evil all along and shooting Blue Beetle in the head, so Kevin Maguire went back and redrew the last pages of I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League so it ended with Max and Ted sharing a friendly chuckle.

Didn't one of those series also have a running gag about everyone thinking Sue Dibny was pregnant, then the issues in question ended up coming out after Identity Crisis?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Metal Loaf posted:

Didn't one of those series also have a running gag about everyone thinking Sue Dibny was pregnant, then the issues in question ended up coming out after Identity Crisis?
Yyyyyyyyyyup. They also put in Max mock-threatening to kill Ted as another tweak of Identity Crisis' nose, I think.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also Evil Mary Marvel in an evil black suit.

And Batman spending his entire appearance cracking jokes.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

goldenoreos posted:

And then they went and threw the majority of the cast under a bus, did a bootlegger reverse, and then ran over them again. Sue Dibny died, Blue Beetle died, Elongated Man died, Mary Marvel... dying would have had more dignity, Captain Atom ditto, Maxwell Lord went evil, died.

Metal Loaf posted:

There's a story about the end of that series which I enjoy: owing to publishing delays, the last issue of Countdown to Infinte Crisis came out first; obviously, that series ends with Max Lord revealing that he was evil all along and shooting Blue Beetle in the head, so Kevin Maguire went back and redrew the last pages of I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League so it ended with Max and Ted sharing a friendly chuckle.

I think he actually said in an interview that was his little point of rebellion, that to him, that was who the characters would always be.

Metal Loaf posted:

Yes.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 9, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

That wasn't what happened in Doom 2099 though, the real Doom had his memories tampered with by his partner at the time as part of their ongoing game. He then killed the poor sap who thought he was Doom.

No, the thing I said happened in the 2099 Black Panther story

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Fried Chicken posted:

No, the thing I said happened in the 2099 Black Panther story

Ah, I've not read that and I keep forgetting they did other 2099 stuff.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

WickedHate posted:

On the other hand, it's going to get awkward explaining Batwoman's further along the line.

Hey, Punisher still manages to be a Vietnam vet. Always 'nam. They'll have to freeze him next to Cap for a bit if they want that to make sense soon.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Elfface posted:

Hey, Punisher still manages to be a Vietnam vet. Always 'nam. They'll have to freeze him next to Cap for a bit if they want that to make sense soon.

Didn't Rucka do a pretty good job of changing it for his run? Not that it matters, since it looks like Marvel has finished scrubbing every trace of Solid Castle from existence.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Punisher is an angel of death who has been reborn multiple times. He'll always be a 'Nam guy in the way that Magneto will always be a World War 2 guy.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Waterhaul posted:

Punisher is an angel of death who has been reborn multiple times. He'll always be a 'Nam guy in the way that Magneto will always be a World War 2 guy.

Thanks for reminding me that Sentry eventually became some kind of weird Comic Book Crazy because he was apparently literally a biblical angel of death.

What was wrong with agoraphobic Superman? :sigh:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Alien Rope Burn posted:

And then they went and threw the majority of the cast under a bust, did a bootlegger reverse, and then ran over them again. Sue Dibny died, Blue Beetle died, Elongated Man died, Mary Marvel... dying would have had more dignity, Captain Atom ditto, Maxwell Lord went evil, died.

You know what I thought was the worst part about Countdown to Infinite Crisis?

It starts off with them killing Blue Beetle. Okay, that sucks if you are a fan of Ted Grant. Or Ted Grant himself, I suppose.
BUT...now we have a good starting point for a story. And now we get a really good "putting the band back together....for revenge" story. The 80's Justice League all agree to get back together, and it's being done fantastically. Booster is so annoyed at himself for not being there. Fire and Ice are broken up. And Guy, gently caress man he's ready for a fight. Hell, they even think about bringing back Max Lord not realizing he's the one responsible. This is fantastic stuff.

They talk about wanting to capture the person responsible for killing Ted, but we know that when they confront the mastermind, he's going to be put into the ground.
And the question is, who is going to do it? Who will cross the line. Will it be Booster, taking down the man who killed his best friend?
Will it be Guy on the basis that one of his crew got whacked and you just DON'T mess with Guy or his friends?
Will it be Fire, to remind everyone that long before she got her super powers she was a trained killer and someone not to gently caress with?

Which member of the 80's League will be the one to get their hands on Max first?

The answer is none of them. Max Lord is killed in the middle of a Crossover by loving Wonder Woman as part of yet another attempt by DC to justify her place as a number one headline character alongside Superman and Batman. Meanwhile the 80's League just get chumped while fighting OMAC's and Rocket Red dies...or something.

I just hated that part of CTIC so much.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cabbit posted:

What was wrong with agoraphobic Superman? :sigh:

Agoraphobia, for one thing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alien Rope Burn posted:

And then they went and threw the majority of the cast under a bust, did a bootlegger reverse, and then ran over them again. Sue Dibny died, Blue Beetle died, Elongated Man died, Mary Marvel... dying would have had more dignity, Captain Atom ditto, Maxwell Lord went evil, died.

Shouldn't be a surprise, I suppose. I believe that Dan DiDio, for one, has said that JLI is his least favourite version of the Justice League, has he not?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

The Question IRL posted:

You know what I thought was the worst part about Countdown to Infinite Crisis?

It starts off with them killing Blue Beetle. Okay, that sucks if you are a fan of Ted Grant. Or Ted Grant himself, I suppose.

It says something about how long DC's been going downhill that you mix up Wildcat's name with Blue Beetle's. They're both Teds, both nonpowered humans, and both got screwed the gently caress over, though, so I guess there's a lot in common there.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Fuego Fish posted:

It says something about how long DC's been going downhill that you mix up Wildcat's name with Blue Beetle's. They're both Teds, both nonpowered humans, and both got screwed the gently caress over, though, so I guess there's a lot in common there.

You know what's funny? When I was typing out my post, I did mentally think "Ted Grant? Am I sure that's right. Maybe that's someone else, the Boxer guy. Maybe it's someone else. I should probably look it up." But then I just shrugged and figured that my point would still stand.
I also had a similar moment when I was debating about if Booster Gold's name was John Michael Carter or if that was someone else.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
It could have been worse. In my mind, "Ted" is inextricably linked with "Baxter". :downs:

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

prefect posted:

It could have been worse. In my mind, "Ted" is inextricably linked with "Baxter". :downs:

Before or after he got turned into a mutant fly?

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

WickedHate posted:

So literally the Superior Sorcerer Supreme?

Content: I found this from Marvel Year In Review 1993, making fun of...well, the 90s.

This has probably been mentioned before, but I always find it amusing when they give the Hulk a gun. As though his melee capabilities are insufficient for him to win fights.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Waterhaul posted:

Basically, the end of his stint as an Angel of Death probably involved turning in resignation papers to Mephisto and going AWOL.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cangelosi posted:

Basically, the end of his stint as an Angel of Death probably involved turning in resignation papers to Mephisto and going AWOL.

He worked for Heaven. Hence why he was an angel. Learn the lore!!!!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

There was a period that DC didn't take itself seriously.

It was called the silver age.

(Source, an Action Comics issue that went to the UK for some reason.)

I actually went looking for a Wonder Woman cover because Superman and Batman get all the crazy silver age cover love, but I saw that one and had to use it. Shockingly, most of the Wonder Woman covers I was finding were kind of creepy in retrospect. Wonder Woman thrusting a spear she's holding between her legs at a monster while tied up (actually, now I kind of want to google that entire phrase and see how many hits I get). Three Wonder Women about to make out with Steve Trevor. Teenaged Wonder Woman turned into a furry. Wonder Woman shoving a phallus into a dinosaur as she's out shopping in a mall. Teenaged Wonder Woman struggling with a tentacle monster that says he's going to own her. Most of these are consecutive months, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

Shockingly, most of the Wonder Woman covers I was finding were kind of creepy in retrospect.
Really? They were pretty overt at the time. They knew exactly what they were doing.

• Locked thread