Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Second time this is posted and I still dont get it.

Edit: gently caress newpage

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/fp4OvmC.jpg
:nws: http://i.imgur.com/9GQ6tmV.jpg

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

Second time this is posted and it still isn't funny.
:v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Preoptopus posted:

People who abide by speed limits are fascists breaking down the American way of life. THere's really nothing to "get" about it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's also by The Onion, so it's a giant loving joke either way.

How about an electric dragster that's in the sevens and traps at over 180MPH in the quarter?

Their goal is 200MPH, and the driver is none other than Big Daddy Don Garlits. The one that broke the 200MPH barrier the first time in drag racing, probably before most of us were born.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

And it's not even a Denali. :cawg:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Friar Zucchini posted:

And it's not even a Denali. :cawg:

Why would you start with a denali if you're going to gut the interior and change the wheels anyways?

$8000 worth of stock parts in the garbage for a grille?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Yeh, I don't think that's the same vehicle...

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Preoptopus posted:

Edit: gently caress newpage

This is what I want my driverless car to look like.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

travisray2004 posted:

All I can think of is maintenance costs on that drat thing.
That's what I think of with most modern cars, especially when they're loaded with headlights that pivot with the steering angle, ipod connectivity (that will be awkward in 20 years, if that. Because everything will be Android. :v: ), on board dashboard computers....

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Falken posted:

That's what I think of with most modern cars, especially when they're loaded with headlights that pivot with the steering angle, ipod connectivity (that will be awkward in 20 years, if that. Because everything will be Android. :v: ), on board dashboard computers....

I'm looking forwards to the day when all the new cars are dead and RWD volvos still roam the earth.

(or are banned, along with all other manually-controlled cars. not looking forward to that possibility.)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Falken posted:

Have a look at the dash of a late 2000s (probably even newer) NA market lexus, they still fitted tape decks.
As for obsolescence, I agree that things like ipod connectivity, bluetooth, even USB is going to be useless given enough time, but you know what isn't? A 3.5mm aux jack. And what is almost never seen on both factory and aftermarket stereo heads? Exactly. If someone could enlighten me as to why I'd appreciate it. I don't give a poo poo about horrible buggy bluetooth and USB that can't read my device, just give me an audio in.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Linedance posted:

Have a look at the dash of a late 2000s (probably even newer) NA market lexus, they still fitted tape decks.
As for obsolescence, I agree that things like ipod connectivity, bluetooth, even USB is going to be useless given enough time, but you know what isn't? A 3.5mm aux jack. And what is almost never seen on both factory and aftermarket stereo heads? Exactly. If someone could enlighten me as to why I'd appreciate it. I don't give a poo poo about horrible buggy bluetooth and USB that can't read my device, just give me an audio in.

The last 3 aftermarket stereos I've bought have had a line in, and my Fusion has one standard. The Ford has it hidden in the compartment under the center arm rest, but it's there.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nocheez posted:

The last 3 aftermarket stereos I've bought have had a line in, and my Fusion has one standard. The Ford has it hidden in the compartment under the center arm rest, but it's there.

Oh yeah, I always forget about those.. Had one on the Edge rental I had.
Rant semi-withdrawn, go Ford.
When I was shopping for some aftermarket stereos I was seeing a lot with USB in, or ipod connectivity, but no obvious 3.5mm in. I was probably just not looking at the right head units.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If you're anywhere near Atlanta in the next couple of months the high museum of art has an exhibition on dream cars starting on the 21st. http://www.high.org/Art/Exhibitions/Dream-Cars.aspx

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

The best is the swap from alcohol to nitro. You got greybeard feeling when it's time with his bare hands, and it's the perfect way to scare a chick who's never seen a nitro car. I did that to one of my ex's at a car show, she caught a nitro cloud plus the sound.

I don't think she got it.

This happened to me at the J&P Cycles classic bike show/swap meet a couple years ago. This monstrosity was there:

I was up close taking photos of the RIDICULOUS drive chain on it and they flipped it to nitro. Scared the hell out of me and felt like my chest was going to explode.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Collateral Damage posted:

If you're anywhere near Atlanta in the next couple of months the high museum of art has an exhibition on dream cars starting on the 21st. http://www.high.org/Art/Exhibitions/Dream-Cars.aspx
Awesome, I'll make the drive down for that.

Here's some M3's

Both awesome and sad at the same time...Hagerty value for E30 M3's

Here's some cut aways to make up for my usual M3 :fap:

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 9, 2014

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Linedance posted:

Oh yeah, I always forget about those.. Had one on the Edge rental I had.
Rant semi-withdrawn, go Ford.
When I was shopping for some aftermarket stereos I was seeing a lot with USB in, or ipod connectivity, but no obvious 3.5mm in. I was probably just not looking at the right head units.

This has become much less of a problem recently for stock stereos; my 2007 GTI, 2012 Jetta, and 2014 WRX all had/have 3.5mm inputs

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I love the six wheelers, even if they were never successful.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Collateral Damage posted:

I love the six wheelers, even if they were never successful.

It got a race win.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Steve French posted:

This has become much less of a problem recently for stock stereos; my 2007 GTI, 2012 Jetta, and 2014 WRX all had/have 3.5mm inputs
Yeah, the poorly optioned rental cars I drive usually have them too. (So GM, Ford, Chrysler)

I can't actually remember the last time I had a rental that didn't, though I know it's happened because it's still a fear in the back of my head.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Linedance posted:

Bluetooth isn't going anywhere. It gets upgraded occasionally, but it's like wifi in that it older versions work gracefully on newer equipment (or should at least). Also most new cars have 3.5mm inputs hidden somewhere, like Nocheez said.

Personally I love my bluetooth - it's nice just getting in and your music/book/podcast/whatever automatically starting. It also doesn't get distorted when I need to charge the phone like the 3.5mm jack does.

And as much as I dislike apple, they aren't going away anytime in the near (10 years or so) future.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Steve French posted:

I looked at a 2006 wrx briefly when buying my last car. It had a tape deck.

Whereas my 07 civic supports MP3/wma CDs from the factory. Can't find a 3.5mm input though.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
If you have a lovely cheap USB power supply, you're going to get alternator whine in your music. Yes, that noise comes from the alternator, in the same way that you youngins probably don't know about low hums from ground loops in home stereos.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My only beef with bluetooth is the audio quality is kind of weak. I get a lot more oomph out of my music when I use the charge cable.

Granted I still use bluetooth because it's so goddamn convenient but I whine about it whenever I get a chance.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

EightBit posted:

If you have a lovely cheap USB power supply, you're going to get alternator whine in your music. Yes, that noise comes from the alternator, in the same way that you youngins probably don't know about low hums from ground loops in home stereos.

Or, you know, its that phones just aren't all that well shielded. With decent headphones you can hear it plugged into anything.

I'm not exactly a "youngin" seeing as I've been driving for nearly 20 years now :( I remember trying to find the feedback in my '94 Cobra for months - the radio was a great way to listen to your revs at least.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

subx posted:

Or, you know, its that phones just aren't all that well shielded. With decent headphones you can hear it plugged into anything.

I'm not exactly a "youngin" seeing as I've been driving for nearly 20 years now :(

Phones have lovely outputs for sure, but you get a whole new kind of lovely when you get lovely grounding in a car. You can hear alternator whine change with engine RPM.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Steve French posted:

Yeah there I go shooting my mouth off, I haven't owned a car since '08 and outside of rentals, don't have firsthand experience with anything newer than '02 really. My experience with bluetooth in rentals has been... Frustrating.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
My Fusion is really nice overall. However, there are some dumb things about it.

Bluetooth works, and generally works well. The problem I have is that when I listen to Bluetooth and then turn off my car, the next time I get back in it's a crapshoot as to what the stereo does. I listen to a lot of podcasts, so I have the volume up a little louder to hear the voices better. Then I turn on the car and I either get the radio blasting out at twice a reasonable volume, my USB flash drive blasting music at twice the reasonable volume, or it's set to the Line-in and is silent. There is nothing plugged into line-in jack, which is what infuriates me.

Sync is so close to working well, but poo poo like this just makes it harder than setting my stereo on one input and letting everything just work. My Pioneer aftermarket headunit took about 5 seconds to connect to my phone, but that's way better than being blasted with audio and always having to change the input back to Bluetooth media every time I drive.

edit; sorry for the thread derail.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 9, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Toyota bluetooth is fine on the volume front, it's very good about picking the correct input and not shattering my ears.

Unfortunately it randomly goes insane and is unable to find my phone, once a week or so it'll flat out refuse to make the connection. The only way to get it unwedged is to turn the ignition off then back on, or hunt down the connection reset in one of the menus (that locks you out as soon as the car starts moving).

Basically it seems like every implementation has its flaws and says to me that auto manufacturers are incompetent when it comes to implementing technology.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Buttcoin millionaire at my work

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 9, 2014

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

xzzy posted:

My only beef with bluetooth is the audio quality is kind of weak. I get a lot more oomph out of my music when I use the charge cable.
I've found that it depends a lot on the BT radio and car. My android phone in my Toyota sounds tinny and distant, but in the Volvo on the JVC it's great. My wife's iPhone 5 sounds even better. Maybe it's just placebo but I think it sounds better.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
So apparently some 350Z owner was taking poo poo to an E55 owner. They agree to a race.

E55 owner shows up with a trailer attached to his car and a ride-on mower in the bed of the trailer. Trolling ensues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESxrTt7X8RU

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

That's fantastic.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GramCracker posted:

So apparently some 350Z owner was taking poo poo to an E55 owner. They agree to a race.

E55 owner shows up with a trailer attached to his car and a ride-on mower in the bed of the trailer. Trolling ensues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESxrTt7X8RU

This is really great but I'd rather talk about bluetooth. As you can see,

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

EightBit posted:

Phones have lovely outputs for sure, but you get a whole new kind of lovely when you get lovely grounding in a car. You can hear alternator whine change with engine RPM.

Ha, so THAT'S what that is!! I never could figure out why I was getting feedback through my speakers based on engine RPM. Luckily I don't mind it, makes me feel like I'm driving a spaceship.

My car has Bluetooth and for a while I listened to Pandora using it, only to one day find out that I could play music MUCH louder if it was hard-wired through the Aux port so that's how I roll now. I disabled Bluetooth on my phone so it wouldn't auto-pair when I start the car, so I do kind of miss hands-free calling, but I hardly ever actually use my phone as a phone so I don't miss it much.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

The Midniter posted:

Ha, so THAT'S what that is!! I never could figure out why I was getting feedback through my speakers based on engine RPM. Luckily I don't mind it, makes me feel like I'm driving a spaceship.

My car has Bluetooth and for a while I listened to Pandora using it, only to one day find out that I could play music MUCH louder if it was hard-wired through the Aux port so that's how I roll now. I disabled Bluetooth on my phone so it wouldn't auto-pair when I start the car, so I do kind of miss hands-free calling, but I hardly ever actually use my phone as a phone so I don't miss it much.

Don't forget to turn the volume all the way up on your device. A lot of times they lower the volume in case you're wearing headphones, so the volume through the speakers is drastically reduced. Also check for an SLA adjustment in the stereo settings. One of the best things about Pioneer stereos is having FM, CD, Bluetooth, and AUX all sound about the same on a specific volume level.

I'm a huge Pioneer fanboy.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Bluetooth chat. Neato.

Yours for 85 thousand beans.

http://www.lamborghinihouston.com/web/used/Toyota-Tacoma-2010-Houston-Texas/13237106/

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

330 gallon fuel tank? Holy poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

T1g4h posted:

330 gallon fuel tank? Holy poo poo.

I wonder how its fuel economy on a full tank compares to when it's almost empty. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

xzzy posted:

I wonder how its fuel economy on a full tank compares to when it's almost empty. :v:

It's only 2000 pounds of fuel how bad could it be. I mean they say it gets 20mpg highway so that's good for 6600 miles...holy poo poo.