Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
Almost 30 hours into this game before I noticed the chain on the wall that opens the gate in that tunnel in Mejula. Hello thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

You're using caetus? The damage they have primarily comes from their physical stat scaling. You putting lightning and dark kind of throws that out of whack.

Edit: Went from a A/A scaling weapon +10 to B/C scaling.

Ulvirich fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 9, 2014

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

THE PWNER posted:

I'm so drat frustrated with being unable to consistently do jump attacks/guard breaks, has anyone swapped controllers and found it fixed the issue? I'm beginning to think it might be an issue with my controller. There are people who can do it 100% of the time, and it's not like "up+r1" is complicated.

Idk about broken controllers, but the timing with my wireless 360 controller on PC is way different for guard break than it was on PS3 with a DS3. It felt much faster on PS3 and it felt like a more deliberate, longer action on PC - Push forward and hold for a tiny beat then R1, vs Forward + R1 at the same time on PS3.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

superh posted:

It's probably the most embarrassing thing to do in DS2 but Covetous does have a OHKO or two... :negative:

The most embarrassing thing is dying to Prowling Magus in your first run. At least in ng+ they might not all die in one hit. In ng++ it took three to kill the healers, truly a difficult fight.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
With the PS4 controller I'm using (well, probably the software required to use it) there's a jumping success rate of like 90%... high enough that I'm not concerned with it, but low enough that accidents aren't surprising either. However guard break only goes off about 50% of the time. Certainly lost more than one pvp because it wouldnt activate until the third input and by then my stamina was hosed.

The biggest issue I run into though is the sprint button fail rate, not because it's very high but because I use it way more often than either of the problematic moves. Sometimes running I'll tap down circle and and be holding down with no result until I tap and hold again. Doesnt get me killed very often, just more annoying.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
If you're trying to chain attacks into a guard break you have to wait until the animation is over before you do it. Otherwise you'll just throw out another light attack.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.

folgore posted:

Almost 30 hours into this game before I noticed the chain on the wall that opens the gate in that tunnel in Mejula. Hello thread.

Glad I'm not the only one.

Also, I just finished the loving game accidentally I think. The credits are rolling. Until the cinematic started played I thought I had killed two pretty uninspired and extremely easy optional bosses in an out of the way basement that wasn't even very well decorated. Didn't die a single time and for reference I've ranged from 5 - 15 deaths on most other bosses. No way to back out at that point either, so all the other stuff I hadn't explored is no longer available I guess.

edit: nevermind I'm back at the fire is this ng+ or what god help

YoungSexualNorton fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 9, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's taking me a lot longer to find a usable greatsword/axe than I'd have thought. The only one I found in the forest was the Drangleic sword. I've been dual wielding fists, two handing an axe, and using a mace and shield in the meantime. It's amazing how much faster through the game you go past the first time.

e: Also the imported set looks cool.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

TangentEnigma posted:

You're still in NG and there are actually a few things you can do now that you couldn't before (merchant inventories changed, Cale will now give you his armor set, etc). To enter NG+ you have to rest at the Majula bonfire and select "being journey 2 to Drangleic" or something like that.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

TangentEnigma posted:

Also, I just finished the loving game accidentally I think. The credits are rolling. Until the cinematic started played I thought I had killed two pretty uninspired and extremely easy optional bosses in an out of the way basement that wasn't even very well decorated. Didn't die a single time and for reference I've ranged from 5 - 15 deaths on most other bosses. No way to back out at that point either, so all the other stuff I hadn't explored is no longer available I guess.

No, you have to manually enter NG+ from the Majula fire. You can go through and clean up and do anything you want beforehand.

TheRedCrumpet
Mar 11, 2013

"I bet most of us here at one point thought 'Man, it would be so hot to taste my own cum'"

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

With the PS4 controller I'm using (well, probably the software required to use it) there's a jumping success rate of like 90%... high enough that I'm not concerned with it, but low enough that accidents aren't surprising either. However guard break only goes off about 50% of the time. Certainly lost more than one pvp because it wouldnt activate until the third input and by then my stamina was hosed.

The biggest issue I run into though is the sprint button fail rate, not because it's very high but because I use it way more often than either of the problematic moves. Sometimes running I'll tap down circle and and be holding down with no result until I tap and hold again. Doesnt get me killed very often, just more annoying.

It's the circle button on the ps4 pad, I've not been able to run because of it. Some times the wrapper just ignores it being pressed it seems.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
So I ran out of inventory space, put a load of stuff in my item box but apparently that's still your inventory its just hidden? Am I going to have to go through everything discarding stuff to try and make space for the rest of this character?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TangentEnigma posted:

You beat the game and no it's not ng+. Unlike the last two games you are given the option of starting ng+ at the Majula bonfire, rather than just being dumped straight into it upon completion of the game. And yeah the ending is a little anticlimactic. They should have made a bigger deal about the four great souls and final boss in the intro cutscene like they did in the last game so you new what you were in for the second you saw the bosses.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

This might be because if you deplete your stamina, it has to regen to full before you can sprint.

Anyone have controller recommendations that actually detect "left stick hard up" please? :(

YOSPOS King
Apr 14, 2014

by XyloJW
Okay... okay... *breathes* I think I've figured out which lighting mod I like the best.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Heliosicle posted:

So I ran out of inventory space, put a load of stuff in my item box but apparently that's still your inventory its just hidden? Am I going to have to go through everything discarding stuff to try and make space for the rest of this character?

You didn't run out of inventory space, you're probably trying to pick up a second miniature ladder and the game freaks out and doesn't let you do that for whatever stupid reason. Discard one.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Heliosicle posted:

Sounds like it's time for Gavlan to wheel.

Yodzilla posted:

You didn't run out of inventory space, you're probably trying to pick up a second miniature ladder and the game freaks out and doesn't let you do that for whatever stupid reason. Discard one.

Could be any item, it threw me for a loop the first time I tried to pick up my 100th lifestone. The message is not very clear.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 9, 2014

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
I never realized how bad the 360 dpad was until playing a Souls game on the PC.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Yodzilla posted:

Aha that's it, cheers!

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

folgore posted:

I never realized how bad the 360 dpad was until playing a Souls game on the PC.

What's wrong with it?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ice Fist posted:

What's wrong with it?

For Dark Souls? Nothing. If this were a platformer it'd be poo poo but you're just using it to select which item/spell/weapon you have at the ready and there's never a use for the diagonals, which it is awful at.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Help, why cant I stop making terrible characters?

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Ice Fist posted:

What's wrong with it?

When I'm in the heat of a fight and have to switch items I often swap to a different weapon unintentionally and vice versa. I might be bad but I didn't have that problem when I played DeS and DS1 on the PS3.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Manatee Cannon posted:

For Dark Souls? Nothing. If this were a platformer it'd be poo poo but you're just using it to select which item/spell/weapon you have at the ready and there's never a use for the diagonals, which it is awful at.

It can still be bad in Dark Souls. Sometimes a press doesn't register, so you didn't quite switch to the item you wanted. Whoops, you just used one of your rare recovery items instead of drinking estus, and now you're dead. Mine is also bad enough that sometimes a press in one direction will roll over and hit an adjacent one, so I'll switch weapons and items at the same time.

Everything else about the 360 controller is great, but the d-pad is an utter piece of poo poo.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yours might just be bad because I've never had any issues with the d-pad registering in any game. Even when I owned a 360 years ago it was never a problem outside of poo poo like Megaman 9 or 'Splosion Man.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Hey From, if you want to make a platformer. That's cool. But please stop making me do jumping puzzles in a game that doesn't have the controls and movement mechanics for that.

Seriously: gently caress the rear end in a top hat who tought it was a funny idea to place an item behind several stupidly precision jumps. Jumps which you don't have the time to properly aim because the platform you're standing on is on fire.
That item better be amazing. (It's going to be something useless like a fading soul, isn't it?)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Man, I just did like 5 Mirror Knight fights and didn't see a mirror squire once. Why the hell did they make the coolest part of this fight so goddamn rare? :sigh:

Almost makes me want to abandon the sunbros for a bit just to gently caress around more with that fight. Anyone done it at 1.2 sm? Is it still dominated by people intentionally loving up attempts to be summoned by the knight?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Raygereio posted:

Hey From, if you want to make a platformer. That's cool. But please stop making me do jumping puzzles in a game that doesn't have the controls and movement mechanics for that.

Seriously: gently caress the rear end in a top hat who tought it was a funny idea to place an item behind several stupidly precision jumps. Jumps which you don't have the time to properly aim because the platform you're standing on is on fire.
That item better be amazing. (It's going to be something useless like a fading soul, isn't it?)

If you mean the one in Iron Keep that is like near the first bonfire?

Bonfire Asetic. :v:

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Internet Kraken posted:

Man, I just did like 5 Mirror Knight fights and didn't see a mirror squire once. Why the hell did they make the coolest part of this fight so goddamn rare? :sigh:

Almost makes me want to abandon the sunbros for a bit just to gently caress around more with that fight. Anyone done it at 1.2 sm? Is it still dominated by people intentionally loving up attempts to be summoned by the knight?

I don;t think many people understand how to trigger it. I think you need to place a red soapstone sign near the door to the knight and you'll get summoned into the fight that way.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
Man, no wonder I was seeing so many people with magic; the game was already substantially easier than the first, but magic can literally just play the game for you with 0 effort. :bravo:

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
I dunno about PVP but magic being easier than melee in PVE isn't anything new at this point.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
No poo poo. Did all these lighting spears post didn't tip you off? :v: Or the other Soul games?

Magic has always been OP as poo poo.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
I never extensively used magic in the first one because it was boring, so I never got to see how ridiculous it was in the first.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Using the hex that summons blood pools of dead players to hurts is funny as heck. It seems to make them a bit brighter too. Suddenly you're surrounded by pools of blood! :getin:

A hex that makes summons bloodstains to hurt players? What spell is this? :confused:

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 9, 2014

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

404notfound posted:

Everything else about the 360 controller is great, but the d-pad is an utter piece of poo poo.

I'm pretty much on board this train. I can't trust myself to quickly, smoothly press the 360 d-pad with my left hand and not screw it up, so I instead have to keep my left hand on the move my character stick, carefully inch my right thumb across the controller and over to the pad, and meticulously, cautiously switch items as need be. My friends have already been stunned by my bizarre cross-thumb circus act, as they have already taken to downloading 3rd party programs so they can use PS3 controllers on PC. I likewise did not have to turn myself into a weird, thumb-based Silent Hill monster when I played on PS3.

Also, I tried my hand at one of those dumb lore videos that seem to be all the rage these days. I normally put on a dumb accent and do a stupid gimmick when I get near a microphone, so I apologize if my natural voice makes me sound really punchable.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Cyberventurer posted:

A hex that makes summons bloodstains to hurt players? What spell is this? :confused:

I believe there is an AoE spell that makes bloodstains and mob corpses shoot out secondary AoEs

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Lori posted:

Man, no wonder I was seeing so many people with magic; the game was already substantially easier than the first, but magic can literally just play the game for you with 0 effort. :bravo:

Demon's souls had an easily restore-able mp bar, a much more powerful Iron Flesh, and a spell that literally prevented death. Magic has never been a strong point of balance in these games.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Lori posted:

This was my experience, this being my first Souls game and all. My friend was breezing through content (Hexxer) and I was struggling to learn boss patterns. (Swordsman, STR/DEX focus)

Then I made my own Cleric and saw how utterly broken magic was. :raise:

On that note, I am so so bad at Dark Souls PvP, can anyone type some general words of advice for a mans that's lightly armored and rolling about with Katanas/Falchions/Daggers?

I'm still in NG, practicing on Dragon Bridge.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Domattee posted:

I believe there is an AoE spell that makes bloodstains and mob corpses shoot out secondary AoEs

Sounds like the Dead Again hex. I don't know if it does anything to bloodstains though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ruggington posted:

Demon's souls had an easily restore-able mp bar, a much more powerful Iron Flesh, and a spell that literally prevented death. Magic has never been a strong point of balance in these games.

The Royal class started with an item that passively restored MP and Soul Arrow, which was the end all be all of spells for the early game. You could cheese the final boss with Poison Cloud and most of them you could cheese with either Soul Arrow or Flame Toss. Dark Souls had pyromancy, which was dependent entirely on the level of your pyromancy flame for damage so you could run around with end game poo poo at level one if you felt like it. Normal magic was still great as well. Now we have everything weak extremely weak to lightning and incredibly powerful hexes.

At least magic is broken as poo poo in new and exciting ways every time, I guess?