Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Babyface Mingo posted:

That dude (Wurmheart) was part of the group of users that were literally trembling with rage and simply angry over the fact Tiy would post about how he's trying to get all the developers relocated to the UK, or about how they didn't exactly follow up on their multiple updates per week or whatever. poo poo's funny, just let it chill in your Steam Library and check back on it every other month or so. Overall, the drama with the Starbound Community has just been really entertaining and pretty decent at weeding out spergs and fucktards. Too bad the devs have to deal with it tho.

^^ that's a p. dope house.

I'm not too bothered about getting constant updates for Starbound. I mean, they're clearly doing something.
I've been watching the Dwarf Fortress dev blog for updates since 2010 and there hasn't been a new release for almost 2 years. I'm content to wait - he's clearly still working on it, and the bug stories are hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Also I love how completely measured and straightforward Tiyuri's response is.

Look at this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/251u7t/the_ammo_overhaul_mod_just_got_cancelled/chd7jzf

Not only does he spell it out without calling that modder a loving moron, he even says they're going to make it easier for other modders to get their work included in the future.

Class.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

victrix posted:

Also I love how completely measured and straightforward Tiyuri's response is.

Look at this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/251u7t/the_ammo_overhaul_mod_just_got_cancelled/chd7jzf

Not only does he spell it out without calling that modder a loving moron, he even says they're going to make it easier for other modders to get their work included in the future.

Class.

Still people there bitching at them for "wasting time" communicating with the community when they could be working on the game.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

I think the one thing any developer can count on is a minor but vocal part of the player-base looking real hard for anything, no matter how minor, to bitch about.

Personally, I'm impressed with how well Chucklefish communicates with the players compared to a lot of other indie developers. Clearly they're working on stuff and it's not like I have to pay for the game again, so I'm content to wait for news and new content/patches. The people who moan over every little thing I think it's largely safe to just dismiss as dumb and/or immature in general.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Gotta remind those who haven't already, to open up the Starbound properties in Steam and enter the unstable beta if you want the latest developments.

I enjoy creating new characters and seeing what strange worlds and creatures I find on my first planet. Easily satisfied mayhaps. Loving the exploration, accepting the fact that this will be ready for sale like in 2015.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Inepta Lacerta posted:

I think the one thing any developer can count on is a minor but vocal part of the player-base looking real hard for anything, no matter how minor, to bitch about.

I like the one guy who's arguing that both sides handled it poorly. "Well yes on one hand the guy messed up by breaking his contract and leaking sensitive information and personal logs and lashing out against the company who was giving him what every modder dreams of but on the other hand did they really have to ban him from their forums"

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001

Babyface Mingo posted:

Overall, the drama with the Starbound Community has just been really entertaining and pretty decent at weeding out spergs and fucktards. Too bad the devs have to deal with it tho.

At least the internet keeps these people contained into one area. What would they be doing if the internet didn't exist?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
So where is the game currently in having goals to work towards and etc like, say, Terraria? I know they're tearing it up and making a new progression system but right now is it any different from back when using the radar-thing summoned down a UFO full of murderpenguins?

Pierson fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 9, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

goodness posted:

Well at least we know some of our goon modders are probably on contract too. You guys are great.

Dude I wish. All this delay is giving me a great excuse to go and play other games and draw other stuff

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

lmao

Mozalbete posted:

It almost offends me that you call that interest, considering how they just forgot about it more than once, and how you start talking about NDAs and agreements just after I mentioned them as a clear symptom of lack of any real respect. Again, it reflects very well what they, and the community, have become. A user who makes free content for your game, should be treated LIKE A drat KING

I wish you were a troll, but you are just delusion and apologism personified, just another... person of simple mind who will defend censor using contracts as an excuse. I don't care about your pathetic NDAs or your empty words about "business interests". I analyze understanding, ethics, respecting the work of others, not trying to censor the truth about your actions. That, I don't see anywhere. I only see a grey company wielding thousand of contracts and NDAs as an excuse for censorship and banning. A monster more interested in showing that they can throw a lawyer against you than in adding content for their game, trying to look professional and experienced and failing miserably, even using forum drama to stop the development of the game, trying to look important.
:thumbsup:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Jesus, he really just threw out every thesaurus-assisted, trying-too-hard-to-sound-intelligent insult he could think up, huh? The facts have nothing to do with the TRUTH.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I don't get how people have so much trouble understanding that moving the development studio means they can't really work while it's happening. Do they think Chucklefish can handwrite out code and take a picture with their phone and it's ready to be compiled or something?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I don't get how people have so much trouble understanding that moving the development studio means they can't really work while it's happening. Do they think Chucklefish can handwrite out code and take a picture with their phone and it's ready to be compiled or something?

I believe the complaints are more centered around "they shouldn't be wasting time moving, they should be making our game :byodood:".

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's (sadly) not that surprising. I remember people flipping THE gently caress out back in the early Minecraft days when publically Notch took a weekend off after working for like 6 months solid.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
People are fuckin' nuts. I've already gotten my money's worth out of the beta alone just dicking around and playing on the goon servers. The dev team can take as long as they need to finish this project.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
It's these creative games that attract the worst player base for some reason. It's like ever 13 year old aspie who has a superiority complex can't resist stacking virtual blocks.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

ColHannibal posted:

It's these creative games that attract the worst player base for some reason. It's like ever 13 year old aspie who has a superiority complex can't resist stacking virtual blocks.

I like how they're inches away from suffering a stroke over a 10€ game.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

ColHannibal posted:

Can't blame them for being unable to resist that (since I can't resist it either). I'm certainly going to blame them for being idiots in public, though. Also laugh at them.

Edit: Certainly, but it's very much a question of obeying safari rules when it comes to community drama I feel. Don't touch the poop. :)
vvvv

Inepta Lacerta fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 9, 2014

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

As much as we all like to laugh at and mock this poo poo, keep in mind that these kind of discussions happen itt every so often as well. We're part of this community too.

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
Are there any goon multiplayer servers still going?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
So Tiy did a Q&A because some people have some concerns. ANd some people are kinda dumb about their concerns.

http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/254dfa/some_qa_for_you/

Which is pretty nice. But then--

http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/254dfa/some_qa_for_you/chdlop5

This guy. He is special. He's spent a good few months being 'concerned' about how things are going.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Zaa Boogie posted:

So Tiy did a Q&A because some people have some concerns. ANd some people are kinda dumb about their concerns.

This guy. He is special. He's spent a good few months being 'concerned' about how things are going.

Man he tries to come across as so reasonable in all of his posts, too.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Zaa Boogie posted:

"Firing back a mini response..." *types 900 words*

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

So whats the state of this? What's missing?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A story mode, a long chain of progression, a good variety of weapons and enemies, combat that doesn't suck, but it's off to a drat good start anyway

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ragequit posted:

"Firing back a mini response..." *types 900 words*

I've met a lot of developers over the years, and its a rare one that doesn't roll their eyes when the topic of community or fans comes up.

Kind of a shame really, but it takes a special kind of armor plated skin to interact with most fanbases, especially for really big games.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Jackie D posted:

So whats the state of this? What's missing?

They are currently revamping combat and progression and they are adding in ship upgrades.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I can see why Community Manager is a full-time job, just reading posts like that all day without your eyes glazing over or rolling out of your head must be tough (and time-consuming).

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

Indecisive posted:

I can see why Community Manager is a full-time job, just reading posts like that all day without your eyes glazing over or rolling out of your head must be tough (and time-consuming).

I see it as the worst job, like underpaid psychiatric hospital workers having to listen to long winded Schizophrenia sufferers five days a week.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I've got plenty of time for Mollygos, she puts up with a lot of poo poo. These are after all the same fans that demanded she be deported. Sometimes I want this game to be a huge success and make lots of money just to say gently caress you to the toxic corners of its fanbase.

Here's hoping we get better mods included in future.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
So I just played for the first time in a few months and got spawned next to a camp of armed bandits AND a weird tower temple of Avians, both with guns. I didn't get a weapon drop from either until the last two enemies. It was hard as balls, but fun, taking them out with the starting equipment.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Loxbourne posted:

fans that demanded she be deported.

what

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

yes, what

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I haven't been paying too much attention of late since all the action is in unstable patches and stupid internet drama lately but... Add me to the :what: pile on that one.

Which is a special kind of sadly amusing when combined with people complaining about Dev's leaving the country.

EDIT: vvv I, that, the :psyboom: this is why I have not been paying attention. Because paying attention hurts my mind.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 10, 2014

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I knew that people suggested that Tiyuri commit immigration and employment fraud to hasten moving people to the country but what.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I've actually never seen goons be such a combination of chill anticipation about upcoming features and unanimous disdain for the rest of the community while also not getting involved in the drama. Could it be we're maturing!?

In actual news, I'll be posting an update for the Peglaci shortly with a whole whack of village items and objects and whatnot. No proper villages yet but working on it!

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

dog kisser posted:

I've actually never seen goons be such a combination of chill anticipation about upcoming features and unanimous disdain for the rest of the community while also not getting involved in the drama. Could it be we're maturing!?

In actual news, I'll be posting an update for the Peglaci shortly with a whole whack of village items and objects and whatnot. No proper villages yet but working on it!

Don't be ridiculous. We're just jealous we didn't get to the drama first.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

dog kisser posted:

For one, a lot of people who'd end up in low-effort crews here got lured in by Reddit because they don't charge money.

For two, it's a lot easier to keep official forums at arms-length when the devs are willing to come to yours.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Sir Unimaginative posted:

For one, a lot of people who'd end up in low-effort crews here got lured in by Reddit because they don't charge money.

For two, it's a lot easier to keep official forums at arms-length when the devs are willing to come to yours.

It also helps that the early beta is really drat cool, their plans are cool, and they proved very early they can iterate and update rapidly.

Not hard to remain excited about the future when they've already proven they can deliver.

Plus I think waiting was most of the game for a very long time. Maybe the remaining fans here are inured :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I'll admit, I was thinking "What the gently caress happened to starbound, I thought they were doing almost daily updates! What happened? Is this another example of a failed project, considering I gave these pricks money?!" Then I checked their website, and they are setting up a studio in the UK, and some people who were not natives to the UK requiring the equivalent of green cards/VISAS to work And then I completely understood, because I've been there, and these mouthbreathing shitheads have no idea what it takes to completely change your life according to what makes you your bread money.

Seriously, It's a very time consuming process. It's not as simple as asking a yes/no question.

• Locked thread