Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Evil Sagan posted:

What's the most right-wing thing you've done? I voted for Bob Dole in a school-sponsored mock election in 1996.

I unironically defended the boy scouts stance on homosexuality up until 2005.

On the bright side, I don't have to say that I ever voted for Bush... even though he was the candidate I would have voted for in those two elections. Apathy sometimes pays off I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Swan Oat posted:

The World's Shortest Political Test told me I was a libertarian so I thought that for a while. Then someone asked me if I really thought that the government shouldn't build roads or schools and I was like "no that's crazy". That's when I stopped being a libertarian.

I voted Badnarik for similar reasons (ending government interventions overseas prime among them) but somewhere between '04 and '08 I came back to the economic idea of paying for externalities and concluded that Libertarians had no answers for global warming and the like and swung to the left as a result.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
Bought stock.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Dystram posted:

Bought stock.

I fired a guy on his first not-training day.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

I believed whole-heartedly in the just world fallacy when I was younger, believing that the poor and disadvantaged were thus entirely because they were simply too lazy to go get an education. Then I graduated from undergrad and tried to put my violin performance degree to work for me in the real world by going into music production and sound engineering. Most of my clients were the urban poor that I had previously disdained...and whose ranks I promptly joined. Nothing shines the light of truth quite like living it. Even so, it still took years and countless late night conversations with my incredibly patient new neighbors for it to really sink in.

Thanks to my privileged upbringing, I was able to go back and get an engineering degree once I got sick of being poor. Now, I work with people whose outlook is basically identical to what mine was when I was younger :bang:

It's somewhat problematic for me, in fact. I feel like my epiphanies living as a temporary poor amongst the more permanent poor were key experiences in growing up and becoming an adult...so I have an unfortunate habit of speaking condescendingly to my coworkers whenever they say things I perceive as "childish", which is nearly daily.

I guess what I'm saying is that I agree with whomever suggested compulsory Peace Corp service. :getin:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I played golf once.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Swan Oat posted:

The World's Shortest Political Test told me I was a libertarian so I thought that for a while. Then someone asked me if I really thought that the government shouldn't build roads or schools and I was like "no that's crazy". That's when I stopped being a libertarian.

That test is designed to give most people a Libertarian response.

As for me, I guess I was wary about a woman in a Niqab once like right after 9/11, but that's about it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Evil Sagan posted:

What's the most right-wing thing you've done? I voted for Bob Dole in a school-sponsored mock election in 1996.

It was uh, it was something I did in 2000.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I've been living comfortably my whole life despite being a lazy piece of poo poo, getting second and third chances at higher education without ever going into debt, thanks to my parents' money.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Jagchosis posted:

So still a oval office?

Most conservative thing I've ever done is dislike the Bay Area, apparently. It makes a lot of folk here presume I am Republican.

This doesn't make you a Republican it just makes you broken. And me sad :(

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I was raised by religious Republicans. I think the Christian values of empathy and caring for the poor stuck, but none of the rest of it did.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Good news, the Republicans are getting cocky about 2014, which means the probability of Senate GOP candidates making weird rape comments, comments disparaging minorities, or comments calling all minority people rapists will be approaching 1:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2014/05/09/the_dizzying_heights_of_republican_optimism.html

Weigel posted:

[T]hough so many of its points could be obliterated with links to public polls.

Ed Gillespie in Virginia is a good example of a candidate who wins over donors and state activists who then are willing to take a chance on a race in which the Republican is still the clear underdog.

Current polling shows Warner up 19 points on Gillespie, in a state Democrats were barely able to win in 2012 and 2013. (Though this is better than Warner's 2008 romp against Jim Gilmore.)

Terri Lynn Land is proving to be an overachiever in Michigan. She is running a disciplined race and has effectively tied her opponent to the anti-energy agenda of big donors and liberal elites.

Land, who was not her party's first choice, is actually receiving largely negative coverage within the state, mostly when she doesn't talk to reporters. After a strong winter, aided by $6 million of outside spending, Land eked out a small lead, but it's now gone and Democratic Rep. Gary Peters is narrowly up. And Michigan's a source of regular fool's good for Republicans -- only two polls, throughout the 2012 cycle, measured the 21-point landslide that Sen. Debbie Stabenow would win.

Iowa may also be falling into the GOP’s lap. GOP insiders admit that they had largely written off the state. But Rep. Bruce Braley (D) is proving to be a problematic candidate, not only because of his gaffe insulting farmers, but also because of his unpleasant and wise-guy demeanor.

One month after the gaffe, Braley leads every Republican challenger and maintains a bouyant approval rating. Fair enough, Republicans have yet to dump a few million dollars on ads reminding people that Braley insulted farmers. (The "wise guy" link is to Braley attempting to prove that a GOP witness on a health care panel did not have qualifications. Damning!)

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Evil Sagan posted:

When I was 19 I refused to count the vote of a black person.

gently caress you we're not getting olives on the pizza

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I have to say I side with tbp here. There's a tendency in these threads to joke about killing the rich that sounds just like disjointed Freep fantasies, and goons jump to the "it was just jokes" defense. We're not in GBS, so cut it out.

It's just a joke, like on Top Gear. Discuss.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

SedanChair posted:

You motherfucker. Tell me you live in Florida so I can punch you in the face.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Good Citizen posted:

When I was 19 I refused to count the vote of a black person.

gently caress you we're not getting olives on the pizza

I hope you've matured since then.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Oh, now that I remember, when I was in fifth grade I liked the Republicans better because I liked the name "Republican" better than "Democrat" :downs:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

1stGear posted:

You motherfucker. Tell me you live in Florida so I can punch you in the face.

Quickly! Slit sedanchair's throat in a dark alley!

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 10, 2014

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think I've always been consistently left wing in the view that the state should care for its citizens but I was certainly an authoritarian in high school, I'm not sure if there exists a brand of 'Social Fascism' that rejects Corporatism, I'm not a polisci student but I was probably that back then, now I'm much more of a Marxist-Leninist but would be fine with a Social-Democratic situation.

I think in my first Federal election in Canada I voted for the main Federal Marxist-Leninist party that split and went Maoist in the 70's.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stultus Maximus posted:

I hope you've matured since then.

Pizza store olives are pretty gross so that was the right call.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Evil Sagan posted:

I called my sophomore social studies teacher a sellout because he said a vote for Perot was throwing your vote away.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Evil Sagan posted:

I was a little pro-GOP poo poo until my brother went to Iraq for a couple tours. Then I kind of grew up. Thankfully all of this happened before I was allowed to vote. Speaking of, my first election was a school levy where I voted yes to fund my school. :smug:

Does hunting counts as right-wing in the eyes of the goon?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

DemeaninDemon posted:

Only if you bait fields/do canned hunts.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

DemeaninDemon posted:

Depends. Are you hunting racial minorities?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

SedanChair posted:

You bombed the USS Cole?! :stonk:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Jagchosis posted:

Good news, the Republicans are getting cocky about 2014, which means the probability of Senate GOP candidates making weird rape comments, comments disparaging minorities, or comments calling all minority people rapists will be approaching 1:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2014/05/09/the_dizzying_heights_of_republican_optimism.html

That's less republicans getting cocky and more Jennifer Rubin is an idiot.

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

I specifically remember looking up from my second grade religion class test and saying to myself "what if they are on a distant island, and the missionary came to the island, but they just kinda didnt believe the guy because a nearby tribe killed him quickly?"

I was 7 years old. When I was about 12, I created a nazi anti-gay group ironically. In order to make fun of the entire concept of racism and hating gays, in about 1997, I ironically created a nazi anti gay group. We all joked. The adults were terrified and I was punished. The children understood. I regret this mistake because I didn't think any little gays existed and I assumed that if they did, then they would tell me I'm wrong and I would have loved to apologize and learn about them.

Old people have lead poisoning and should never be trusted or listened to in any way.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

comes along bort posted:

Only if you bait fields/do canned hunts.

Na a real forest. With trees and angry wasps.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I voted once for Art Robinson for Representative in 2006 in Oregon because he got gas at my station where I worked.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
I voted for Barack Obama in 2008.

I thought John McCaine was a moderate before 2007.

I believed David Petraeus would eventually be President.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Tharizdun posted:

LA Times: Romney- "Raise the Min Wage"
"We need to show people Republican policies are good for them, by abandoning them and just adopting Democratic policies."

Hey it worked so well for the Democrats.

Also most right wing thing I have done, I oppose abortion. Also I don't see the point with going toe to toe with gun nuts being that the right will start banning firearms the moment the left does anything with guns.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 10, 2014

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

I voted for Bush in 04. What's worse is I may have convinced a friend to as well when I told him that the "Democrats don't care about the troops, but Bush DOES!" I live in a dark blue state though, so luckily my vote didn't matter.

I was also a dirty little scumbag who made fun of Al Gore and thought he was a sore loser in 2000, I read a poo poo ton of Vietnam war memoirs and was convinced that we could have won, if only the government had let us kill indiscriminately.

I was a weird loving kid, and if I had gone to college instead of working for a decade, I'm sure I would have turned into a scummy little libertarian virgin.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think I've always been consistently left wing in the view that the state should care for its citizens but I was certainly an authoritarian in high school, I'm not sure if there exists a brand of 'Social Fascism' that rejects Corporatism

I was under the impression "social fascism" was just a slur used by Moscow-backed communist parties in the 30s against mainstream social democrats accusing them of being :siren:LITERAL FASCISTS:siren: for not supporting immediate violent revolution. :confused:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Gen. Ripper posted:

I was under the impression "social fascism" was just a slur used by Moscow-backed communist parties in the 30s against mainstream social democrats accusing them of being :siren:LITERAL FASCISTS:siren: for not supporting immediate violent revolution. :confused:

Not just social democrats, also it was used against Trotskyists.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
"Social fascists" was used against anyone who wasn't already an actual fascist.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Jagchosis posted:

Most conservative thing I've ever done is dislike the Bay Area, apparently. It makes a lot of folk here presume I am Republican.

Chard posted:

This doesn't make you a Republican it just makes you broken. And me sad :(

The Bay Area is a theoretical utopia, except no one can afford to move there, people who were born there live either with their parents or packed five deep in hovels, the latino population that gave several areas their charm have been pushed out, and the only jobs available are in tech and foodservice - the latter of which likely means you are living entirely off of your parents.

The Bay Area is a nerf castle for the global rich and temporarily embarrassed technocrats bleeding money while sitting in an aeron and talking about microtransactions. 37 year old men in uniqlo slacks and american apparel hoodies getting botox injections and hairplugs to better chase funding.

moller fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 10, 2014

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah it's definitely going to collapse at some point. You can't sustain a region where most people who work there can't afford to live there. Isn't the median monthly rent nearly half the median monthly income, or something absurd like that?

I fervently hope Seattle doesn't start turning that way. It has a similar techy economy, but with a less romanticized reputation. Also, this $15 minimum wage poo poo might actually happen.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 10, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Ditocoaf posted:

Yeah SF is going to collapse at some point. You can't sustain a region where most people who work there can't afford to live there. Isn't the median monthly rent nearly half the median monthly income, or something absurd like that?

Ironically, people can't afford to live there because of the lack of new construction, which is because the developers don't want to have the expense of complying with the earthquake codes, which are there so it doesn't literally collapse

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Fried Chicken posted:

Ironically, people can't afford to live there because of the lack of new construction, which is because the developers don't want to have the expense of complying with the earthquake codes, which are there so it doesn't literally collapse

Sounds like you're saying the solution is deregulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jagchosis posted:

This is true of some civil violations, criminal penalties do require "willful" violation though, or conspiracy, etc, so whatever man. To nail the fatcats the government would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the fatcats knew that the asset backed securities were complete garbage, and were actually involved in it. Things like the AAA credit ratings from "independent" agencies, presumably shielding themselves from liability by limiting actual involvement and knowledge to low and mid-level thugs (see, Levin's "lovely Deal" hearings), as Mafia leaders did in the past. The government has been trying to nail Steven A. Cohen for 10 years for basically building a fortune entirely from insider trading, and have failed to get a strong enough case to prosecute him even though they (a) loving hate him and (b) 11 or so of his staff have been sentenced to prison.

Also, Arthur Anderson was convicted for obstruction of justice for shredding audit work papers. The S&L prosecutions were pretty much entirely low and mid-level losers, and to the extent that executives were prosecuted they were generally officers of relatively small companies. Enron and Worldcom are the few examples of high-level crooks being stupid enough to get personally involved and directing the fraud, which resulted in the prosecutions. The government also had useful witnesses in those cases.

Penalties:
'33 Act
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/77x

'34 Act
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/78ff

'40 Act
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/80a-48

Fortune's "Favorite Felonies" from S&L Crisis
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/1990/11/05/74309/index.htm

EDIT: Maybe they could be charged under RICO or mail fraud or something, I dunno. I think securities laws would be hard.

I don't think we're necessarily arguing different points here. As underwriters (mostly done by investment banks and the like, who also tend to put these assets together into mortgage pools, to be divied up by a trustee and sold to some poor fools), the fact they signed on to and said these deals were actually good counts as willfully misleading investors, not necessitating the discovery of intent. Which goes along with the '33 act, "or any person who willfully, in a registration statement filed under this subchapter, makes any untrue statement of a material fact or omits to state any material fact required to be stated". This is what the government has tried to do in going after these guys so far, though unfortunately with no luck so far. That doesn't necessarily mean that should hold in the future, considering the blatant nature of the evidence that has leaked to the public about the malicious nature of how some of these bankers worked. Look at the Federal Crisis Inquiry Commision, fraud was used more than a hundred times in the report.

I'd recommend reading this article by an actual federal judge on the matter: http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2014/jan/09/financial-crisis-why-no-executive-prosecutions/

• Locked thread