Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Considering what just went down, I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up next comic or so. Especially with how right it's kinda steering in the whole oh you think it's bad, it just get worse.

By worse I mean great because JOHNNY but in terms for the crew it probably could be the worst thing ever. Granted we never really given an idea what would happen if other people discovered about the spirits and all lurking around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Then Johnny digs up Eightfold and becomes a Spectral.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Unlike some people, I think the Eightfold and Isabella talk has been one of my favorite moments in the comic. I'm not all that interested in Max or in punching spirits even! I like when people are talking and interacting and I felt like this was a big good moment for setting up future plot and interactions. Same with Forge and Spender - I felt like their discussion was interesting, because it set up both of them really well.

But I've also been reading 'webcomics' since I found diary of a wimpy kid online back in elementary school, so I'm not one to really be concerned about how long they take.

Edit: Also, Eightfold 'dying' is sadder than Mort passing on. Not sure why, but I just am bored at Gunnerkrigg and Mort leaving, instead of sad. Might be because Eightfold is a much funner/cooler character. Might be because Mort didn't even show up for like a year of comics.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

KittyEmpress posted:

Edit: Also, Eightfold 'dying' is sadder than Mort passing on. Not sure why, but I just am bored at Gunnerkrigg and Mort leaving, instead of sad. Might be because Eightfold is a much funner/cooler character. Might be because Mort didn't even show up for like a year of comics.

I also love me some Gunnerkrigg, so I think the problem is that Mort (re)dying is just sad, but that's it.

Eightfold leaving/dying/who knows is not only not by Eightfold's choice, but it's undoubtedly about to have some serious repercussions on the story.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

theshim posted:

God drat but it's been far too long since we've had Johnny.

Good news! There is no way he isn't showing up on the scene at some point :eng101:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Isn't the train still underground? Also, it's a speeding train - I don't think they're about to catch up in time on foot.

I guess they could stumble across Spender fighting Forge in the woods, although they shouldn't be able to see Forge without his hammer and it's not clear if Forge is interested in letting non-spectrals know about the spirit world anyway.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?
The train is travelling fast but not in a straight line. I think it's possible it will converge with Johnny's gang without having to slow down.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I want to get off Mr. Spender's Wild Ride

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

majormonotone posted:

I want to get off Mr. Spender's Wild Ride

It shouldn't be a problem he said. We can handle it he said. Team Forecast Octopus he said.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Just finished the piece.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Tollymain posted:

Good news! There is no way he isn't showing up on the scene at some point :eng101:

What if they suddenly wind up in Rome? Johnny clearly stated they weren't going there. Checkmate, atheists :colbert:.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Meowjesty posted:

I dunno this just feels too anime of Zack to kill off a supporting character in the chapter she's introduced.

Please be ok. :ohdear:

This comic is an anime comic. People are in denial for some reason, but just accept it guys, you'll be happier.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Lord of Hats posted:

What if they suddenly wind up in Rome? Johnny clearly stated they weren't going there. Checkmate, atheists :colbert:.

I went back to see the context to see if an "All roads lead to Rome" joke and ended up rereading this chapter. Man, it's really been a very short period of time since Eightfold got introduced. :(

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm not gonna lie, and I don't like to do this with comics, but I sort of feel like this last page should have gone differently. Like, when the paper dude explains that she went straight for Max and didn't even consider him, and then points out that she now HAS to save Max and all but says he's in mortal danger too, perhaps even unable to be saved--it's all great, and it builds up perfectly to that last panel when he goes "Hehe...sorry." I really feel like the next page, this most recent update, should have had the snap back to the present. The girl moves, grabs Max, and then we see origami dude get shredded or whatever. Having yet another lengthy speech explaining what's going to happen sort of removes the dynamism of the scene--this is an action sequence that is being paused, rather smartly, for A) backstory and B) a good set-up for a somewhat tragic climax.

I feel really nitpicky, but it's been bugging me all day. The way they do it now just drags this out even longer with MORE loving text.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I'm not gonna lie, and I don't like to do this with comics, but I sort of feel like this last page should have gone differently. Like, when the paper dude explains that she went straight for Max and didn't even consider him, and then points out that she now HAS to save Max and all but says he's in mortal danger too, perhaps even unable to be saved--it's all great, and it builds up perfectly to that last panel when he goes "Hehe...sorry." I really feel like the next page, this most recent update, should have had the snap back to the present. The girl moves, grabs Max, and then we see origami dude get shredded or whatever. Having yet another lengthy speech explaining what's going to happen sort of removes the dynamism of the scene--this is an action sequence that is being paused, rather smartly, for A) backstory and B) a good set-up for a somewhat tragic climax.

I feel really nitpicky, but it's been bugging me all day. The way they do it now just drags this out even longer with MORE loving text.

Well, two things:

1) It's an origami dudette. Sheesh.

2) Paranatural, as an Anime Comic, follows the Anime Rule of Action-Storytelling, which dictates that any action must be overexplained before or right after it happens.

Not that you're wrong or anything.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
With great anime comes great exposition

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
loving anime. :bahgawd:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's just as much an anime trope to watch a character smirk and die heroically as it is to talk too much, Zack could have absolutely done that anyway.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Man, this comic being anime isn't really an excuse. He doesn't have to fall into the worst pitfalls of anime just because the comic is anime-inspired.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Or you know it's his first comic? Jeez. Even the first chapters of it were not that great. He's gonna have some roughs here and there.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I forgot that people's first comics are immune from criticism and they magically gain writing ability during their second comic

It's like, I still love Parantural! It's cute and clever and funny. But this arc hasn't been great lately and I'm not sure why criticism is apparently illegal.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I didn't mean to infer that is. I mean yeah the whole it's anime is a bit ridiculous but the dude on top is super nitpicky. The comment was more like its his first comic, he's bound to make mistakes.

And even if it using lovely anime tropes. I mean hopefully he'll learn to write better as time goes on.

edit: What this comic needs is more Johnny though.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 12, 2014

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?
I don't think the reason for this scene is as simple as "this is the way they do it in my animes" because this is NOT the way they do it in my animes. When someone wants to make a dramatic speech in mid-fight time just stops for them for no reason other than it wouldn't be possible them to make the speech otherwise, and the speech itself is about expounding some idea or opinion that the character has. In this scene we are given a reason why time has stopped and the talking--laden as it may be with some message--is primarily and explicitly intended to waste time.

Basically it's subverting the whole mid-fight dialog trope by just doing what would actually happen.

Heavy Zed fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 12, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Heavy Zed posted:

I don't think the reason for this scene is as simple as "this is the way they do it in my animes" because this is NOT the way they do it in my animes. When someone wants to make a dramatic speech in mid-fight time just stops for them for no reason other than it wouldn't be possible them to make the speech otherwise, and the speech itself is about expounding some idea or opinion that the character has. In this scene we are given a reason why time has stopped and the talking--laden as it may be with some message--is primarily and explicitly intended to waste time.

Basically it's subverting the whole mid-fight dialog trope by just doing what would actually happen.

No, I get that, I just think it's a shame to say so. The first chapters, for instance, have really great sequences with really just the illustration and the paneling telling the story and conveying the action, and it had a delightful sense of...not subtlety so much as fluidity. The page is fine, and it's going to end up having the same basic effect, but I think it was already plain to the audience what was happening and what was going to happen, and it diminishes the blow somewhat to explain it up front.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Seriously guys, Eightfold is fine, stop lamenting her death.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Isabel trying to interrupt in all these panels is her trying to say she came up with a plan to save Max AND Eightfold.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

But she had to explain it. If she doesn't explicitly tell Isabella it is impossible and she can't save her now, she would fling herself out of the train and get herself killed. That's the whole reason this is going on. All eigbtfold did was ensure it was far enough away that she wouldn't be able to try even.

If she hasn't explicitly said 'this is me sacrificing myself.' Isabella would jump out the train door and die. Because she's not gonna rationally think about saving Eightfold or if she even can, she is gonna try.

That's what eightfold was talking about with the whole 'naturally good hearted' thing. she doesn't think, she just tries to do good naturally. She wouldn't have a single second thought at the idea of jumping out of the train to do good, unless told explicitly that she'd be wasting her life, and max's.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
A big explanation about how she was sacrificing herself to save the new kid when it was completely unnessecary? That would only make sense if Eightfold was a goo who took herself entirely too seriously, just like Max, Johnny, Isaac, Isaac's Spirit, Spender, Tex, Boss Leader, Suzy, and Mr. Garcia. Paranatural is too much of a gritty, high stakes adventure for Eightfold not to die in the most horrible way imaginable!

Calm down you lunatics

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mystic Mongol posted:

A big explanation about how she was sacrificing herself to save the new kid when it was completely unnessecary? That would only make sense if Eightfold was a goo who took herself entirely too seriously, just like Max, Johnny, Isaac, Isaac's Spirit, Spender, Tex, Boss Leader, Suzy, and Mr. Garcia. Paranatural is too much of a gritty, high stakes adventure for Eightfold not to die in the most horrible way imaginable!

Calm down you lunatics

Empty quote this if I could.

Can't wait for the next update :allears:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Tollymain posted:

Empty quote this if I could.

Can't wait for the next update :allears:

Looks like you'll have to, because it's not up yet. C'mon Zack, we're on the edge of our seats here!

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster
Off topic, but when did Zack get rid of the "donate" function? All the wallpapers are free now.

Also, the Paranatural tag on tumblr occasionally has some neat stuff:

http://officialsnowman.tumblr.com/post/85478830010/some-detail-shots-of-forge-here-is-a-wip-more

the_truth.txt

quote:

The paranatural tag has gotten so quiet for the last portion of the night

it’s like we’re just waiting

nervous

quiet

preparing ourselves.

Good luck everybody.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Been refreshing the site all day.

Where's the loving update??

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Been refreshing the site all day.

Where's the loving update??

YEAH, MAN. C'mon. It's super important that we look at this comic, it's literally what our whole day hinges on!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Exit Strategy posted:

It's super important that we look at this comic, it's literally what our whole day hinges on!

This but unironically

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
My assumption is that Eightfold, as a spirit thing that literally lives on books, has purposefully created a contrived and heroic situation because it's a literary cliche. That isn't to say that Zack gets a free pass on everything ever because "it's ironic/subversive," but it's probably at least part of this whole thing.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just realized that Eightfold's lecture about not seeing spirits as less than people actually matches up with a lot of the perspective we, the readers, have had of things in the comic. For the most part tools have been, well, tools; besides the garbage-snake's couple menacing appearances and the whale-frog going into the plunger we hadn't seen anything of the spirits within the tools, just the tools themselves and the powers they give, up until we met Eightfold. (Well, you could count the storm god, but he's directly possessing Isaac so his presence is more easily noticeable, and he's, well, not a tool. Possession of a person makes them still feel like something of a character, while possession of an object makes them an object too.)

In a way Eightfold's reminder is as much for us as it is for Isabel, because the fact that all the awesome weapons the characters are using are "alive", and that's something important to keep in mind. They think, they feel, and they have agendas beyond that of the person using them.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Roland Jones posted:

In a way Eightfold's reminder is as much for us as it is for Isabel, because the fact that all the awesome weapons the characters are using are "alive", and that's something important to keep in mind. They think, they feel, and they have agendas beyond that of the person using them.

This was brought up by Spender when Max first got his tool. Spender makes a point that Max shouldn't talk about sedition or anything similar while his tool was in reach because the Garbage Snake could hear him and would start thinking.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

: ( :

Eightfold :rip:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm at a computer for once but here's a link

Alt text: :(:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Wow what a touching comi-BLOO BLOO! ABLOO BLOO BLOO!

Rip in peace adorable spider-trapper.