Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Azuth0667 posted:

Is there a dexterity guide anywhere? I'm trying a swordsman and its really painful. My damage and defenses are crap. The twinblade was fun for a while but, if you don't get that windup or poise break the enemy you're screwed.

E: I can't help but, think I'm loving something up horribly to be having this much trouble.

Get two things: Knife, and Blacksteel Katana (farmed from the knights once you get to Iron Keep). A decently upgraded dagger will kill pretty much any backstab-able enemy with one hit, and the Blacksteel Katana gets S-rank for Dex scaling and is reasonably durable. Use a rapier until you get a Blacksteel Katana. The key to dodging is you want to dodge towards the blade, not away from it, and dodging towards them so you end up behind them in position for a backstab is also good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Bobnumerotres posted:

Hate the game, not the player.

No seriously. There's no excuse that it's THIS easy to hack with no action being taken at all by From, in what's largely an online game. You're just hoping people are nice enough not to. On top of the horrendous lag the multiplayer in this game is a loving joke most of the time.

The multiplayer aspects of the game are sorta secondary to the whole thing. Its not like they've got dedicated servers hosting instances for everyone. But yeah as long as things stay client side it'll be drat easy to muck around with values.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Argas posted:

Have you died to bluebros? Every death subtracts 1 sin until you're at 9, at which point you won't get invaded by them until you sin.

What? Boo. that's loving lame. Time to go a' invading then.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Does anyone have that hilarious gif of the pursuer stab-grab hitbox buggery still? I can't remember what page it was on but that was amazing.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I had an invader using the invisible weapons ring and switching between various weapons. That made for a surreal fight as he'd go from twinblade to greatsword to caestus with no visible change.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Was this in NG?

It never hit me until now that I ran into people with that ring who were in NG, which is flat-out impossible.

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Piell posted:

Get two things: Knife, and Blacksteel Katana (farmed from the knights once you get to Iron Keep). A decently upgraded dagger will kill pretty much any backstab-able enemy with one hit, and the Blacksteel Katana gets S-rank for Dex scaling and is reasonably durable. Use a rapier until you get a Blacksteel Katana. The key to dodging is you want to dodge towards the blade, not away from it, and dodging towards them so you end up behind them in position for a backstab is also good.

Can you explain the backstab mechanics a bit more?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Tallgeese posted:

Was this in NG?

It never hit me until now that I ran into people with that ring who were in NG, which is flat-out impossible.

I think there's also a spell that does it though. A spell I've definitely gotten on my current first game.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

Was this in NG?

Nah, NG+.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

The Joe Man posted:

I think there's also a spell that does it though. A spell I've definitely gotten on my current first game.

Yeah you get it for 20 kills in the Bellfry which is really easy.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Nuebot posted:

Getting sunbro summons at 1.7mil SM seems to be a pain in the rear end.

I'm there with you buddy. 1.7m and I've not even gathered the magical McGuffins for the first part of the game. :(

Soul Memory seems like a terrible thing for new players.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The Joe Man posted:

Well yeah, but does it stick on weapon swap?

Also, now that I think about it, I suppose you could sit on the throne and not transfer to NG+.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Drunk PvPing in Iron Keep while trying out the Grand Lance for the first time is likely the best DS2 idea I've ever had.

Edit: Losing a LOT, but the wins are so much sweeter.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Artificer posted:

Drunk PvPing in Iron Keep while trying out the Grand Lance for the first time is likely the best DS2 idea I've ever had.

Edit: Losing a LOT, but the wins are so much sweeter.

I'm kind of hit and miss on the Grand Lance. It's really fun a lot of the time, but I don't know if I actually like the usability outside of bosses.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Notitia posted:

Can you explain the backstab mechanics a bit more?

Find a human-sized enemy, stand behind them, attack with R1. You'll do a backstab with greatly increased damage, and the regular dagger has one of the highest backstab multipliers in the game. Generally the easiest time to do it is to roll towards the enemy as they make the final attack of their routine, ending up with you behind them.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Daerc posted:

I'm kind of hit and miss on the Grand Lance. It's really fun a lot of the time, but I don't know if I actually like the usability outside of bosses.

Yeah I'm incredibly bad at it but I've only ever used it while drunk. It's probably not much better in PvP while sober though. Fun on the occasions when you just steamroll someone in PvP though.

CHOO CHOO!

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Piell posted:

Find a human-sized enemy, stand behind them, attack with R1. You'll do a backstab with greatly increased damage, and the regular dagger has one of the highest backstab multipliers in the game. Generally the easiest time to do it is to roll towards the enemy as they make the final attack of their routine, ending up with you behind them.

I'm noticing that because of the variety of good dual wield combos - this class type seems like it can turn into a money drain pretty easily. It that just the nature of the beast?

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Artificer posted:

Yeah I'm incredibly bad at it but I've only ever used it while drunk. It's probably not much better in PvP while sober though. Fun on the occasions when you just steamroll someone in PvP though.

CHOO CHOO!

If they miss and you hit them with an R2 they are so hosed unless they're rolling. It definitely makes up for the times you lose because you misjudged them and completely failed to connect. The jumping attack is also pretty good.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

Was this in NG?

Except that its not. Because you don't have to go to NG+ after you beat the last boss.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Yeah, I realized that after. Sure have seen a couple of people with it at 1m SM though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I finished my no-death no-bonfire run at around one million.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

True, but then again, one was using Moonlight Greatsword in right hand judging from the surprise crescent wave R2. Don't you have to sit at a bonfire for that?

I'm basically saying I wouldn't be too surprised if people are hacking in the rings.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Welp, finally reached the Shrine of Anime. Only 3 effigies left and no idea where to buy more. All the signs I drop end in failure because the run is so long from that first bonfire.

Kind of ready for the game to be done now.

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Nuebot posted:

I finished my no-death no-bonfire run at around one million.

That is so incomprehensible to me right now. I love the ruthlessness of this game though - brings me back to the UO feeling of constantly getting ganked and being okay with it because 'revenge'.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

True, but then again, one was using Moonlight Greatsword in right hand judging from the surprise crescent wave R2. Don't you have to sit at a bonfire for that?

I'm basically saying I wouldn't be too surprised if people are hacking in the rings.

Using a bonfire after you beat the game doesn't take your ring away. Use the ascetic or however its spelled, kill freja and get the sword.

Notitia posted:

That is so incomprehensible to me right now. I love the ruthlessness of this game though - brings me back to the UO feeling of constantly getting ganked and being okay with it because 'revenge'.

It's not as fun as a death and bonfire run to be honest. It's slow and agonizing, at least mine was. Speaking of revenge though: I love seeing all the "revenge" notes in places with archers, like iron keep.

Axel Serenity posted:

Welp, finally reached the Shrine of Anime. Only 3 effigies left and no idea where to buy more. All the signs I drop end in failure because the run is so long from that first bonfire.

Next area I think, you can buy some.

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Do you loose souls if you die in a soapstone summon?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Notitia posted:

No, you just lose any consumeables/durability/spells you use while summoned.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Notitia posted:

You do not, but your durability and all that stay axed until you finish your mission.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Although if you win you're be back to full on all of those things as though you'd rested at a bonfire.

edit: It's the same for pvp as well, if you beat the other player in pvp or the boss in coop (dunno about small white soapstones, I assume it's the same though) you're refilled but if you die you're sent back with what you had when you died.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 10, 2014

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How rare are Pharros Lockstones? I've got 2 at the minute after unlocking the one in Forest of fallen giants and Lost Bastille to get to Belfry Luna. What about soul vessels? I'm currently playing almost entirely using sorcery with a +2 axe rarely but was thinking about changing to mostly miracles and using a club I just found in Huntsman copse instead so speccing from 38 int/24 faith/25 atn to mostly faith and str instead. My vit/vgr/end/adp are all crap though

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Jose posted:

How rare are Pharros Lockstones? I've got 2 at the minute after unlocking the one in Forest of fallen giants and Lost Bastille to get to Belfry Luna. What about soul vessels? I'm currently playing almost entirely using sorcery with a +2 axe rarely but was thinking about changing to mostly miracles and using a club I just found in Huntsman copse instead so speccing from 38 int/24 faith/25 atn to mostly faith and str instead. My vit/vgr/end/adp are all crap though

You'll get more lockstones than you'll ever need (unless you Ratbro, but even then by actually participating in that covenant you get more lockstones, so it balances out), and you get somewhere around 4-5 soul vessels in a reasonably thorough runthrough. Feel free to use one of your soul vessels if you feel like you need it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Man I'm playing with Katanas right now and I loving loathe the moveset of the blacksteel katanas, powerstanced or no. It's just a right piece of terribleness. I do have dual darkdrifts and they are pretty good, but have no durability so I'm running a +10 darkdrift and a naked manslayer as frankly, it does better damage and has better scaling (but doesn't pierce shields).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
My only real concern about respeccing now is not having enough souls to buy miracles with really. I've only got lightning spear so far

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Axel Serenity posted:

The rat men directly after the first bonfire drop effigys, at least they were for me. I just got to the same zone. The second bonfire is a pretty nasty gauntlet but you can do it pretty quickly if you are careful.

DO NOT LIGHT YOUR TORCH you'll get mobbed and eaten.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The Iron Rose posted:

Man I'm playing with Katanas right now and I loving loathe the moveset of the blacksteel katanas, powerstanced or no. It's just a right piece of terribleness. I do have dual darkdrifts and they are pretty good, but have no durability so I'm running a +10 darkdrift and a naked manslayer as frankly, it does better damage and has better scaling (but doesn't pierce shields).

The Blacksteel Katana is basically this game's Iaito. I really enjoy that it has that quickdraw ability, even if it's not super useful. It's also the main reason I'm pissed off that Dex scaling got nerfed so hard. I like the Blacksteel and all, but it's a pretty lovely weapon because it relies so much on scaling. :smith:

That said, just get an Uchigatana until you can get the Chaos Blade, then go Lightning Chaos Blade with Sunlight Blade, it's pretty much the way to go with katanas. Either that or use a Washing Pole, I guess.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

mistaya posted:

The rat men directly after the first bonfire drop effigys, at least they were for me. I just got to the same zone. The second bonfire is a pretty nasty gauntlet but you can do it pretty quickly if you are careful.

DO NOT LIGHT YOUR TORCH you'll get mobbed and eaten.

On the other hand once you've cleared out the place, a torch can be super useful because it makes the edges of the land much more obvious.

King of Solomon posted:

The Blacksteel Katana is basically this game's Iaito. I really enjoy that it has that quickdraw ability, even if it's not super useful. It's also the main reason I'm pissed off that Dex scaling got nerfed so hard. I like the Blacksteel and all, but it's a pretty lovely weapon because it relies so much on scaling. :smith:

That said, just get an Uchigatana until you can get the Chaos Blade, then go Lightning Chaos Blade with Sunlight Blade, it's pretty much the way to go with katanas. Either that or use a Washing Pole, I guess.

I really like the Uchigatana, at least partially because I like the moveset, though that might be an implied suggestion for the Chaos Blade and Washing Pole because I think they have the same or at least a very similar moveset.

Daerc fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 10, 2014

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

Gotcha.

Also seriously lol @ hacking bluecops giving me 200K souls on a death. Fine by me bro, I'm in NG+!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jose posted:

My only real concern about respeccing now is not having enough souls to buy miracles with really. I've only got lightning spear so far

You can find Great Lightning Spear and Sunlight Spear is only acquired by completing the Heirs of the Sun covenant. I wouldn't worry too much about it just yet.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I've been trying to sunbro in Drangleic Castle and I noticed that my attacks aren't hitting the bosses for well, squat anymore. I have a flame longsword +10, a blacksteel katana +6, and a sunbro sword +6 (need more titanite chunks.)

What the hell happened? I am still killing normal monsters perfectly fine but bosses just take no damage from my attacks. I'm not talking about obvious stuff like "Don't use fire vs. the Fire boss" either.

Also, is there a point to raising DEX past 40 on a DEX build? I've been boosting my poise with Adaptability/Endurance instead since I figured that was enough DEX but maybe that's my problem...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mistaya posted:

I've been trying to sunbro in Drangleic Castle and I noticed that my attacks aren't hitting the bosses for well, squat anymore. I have a flame longsword +10, a blacksteel katana +6, and a sunbro sword +6 (need more titanite chunks.)

What the hell happened? I am still killing normal monsters perfectly fine but bosses just take no damage from my attacks. I'm not talking about obvious stuff like "Don't use fire vs. the Fire boss" either.

Also, is there a point to raising DEX past 40 on a DEX build? I've been boosting my poise with Adaptability/Endurance instead since I figured that was enough DEX but maybe that's my problem...

You're not getting anything out of that fire infusion if you're pure dex. Fire is based off your INT/FTH and you don't get Flame Weapon until ng+. A longsword also isn't the best dex weapon, you might wanna invest in strength if you'd like to be purely physical or one of the casting stats if you want to get the most out of your infusion.

edit: I actually had the same problem around that point with the Heide Sword +10 and investing in faith really helped. Also didn't hurt that Lightning Spear did over twice the damage at base requirements and a cleric's chime. :v:

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 09:33 on May 10, 2014