Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

TheBalor posted:

I think the difference is that China's shadow banking industry is mainly just China. The US's shadow banking sector is probably hiding some nasty poo poo for the entire world.

Bernard Madoff posted:

There is nothing wrong with the U.S. banking system. Jeez, what a noob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TheBalor posted:

I think the difference is that China's shadow banking industry is mainly just China. The US's shadow banking sector is probably hiding some nasty poo poo for the entire world.

I'm sure it'll have some impact on African and Southeast Asian countries. I don't think it would be catastrophic but I think there would be plenty of unfinished bridges and highways.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 9, 2014

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Here's a thing I found so I can be part of the conversation.

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/chinas-ticking-debt-bomb/

There's actually a few good articles on there.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently China has plans to build a high speed rail to the USA via Bering Sea. Would take two days to arrive in the USA at an average of 350km/hr.

That would be so sick.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

goldboilermark posted:

Apparently China has plans to build a high speed rail to the USA via Bering Sea. Would take two days to arrive in the USA at an average of 350km/hr.

That would be so sick.

So you'd just get dropped off in the Aleutian Islands or something? There's no way the US would fund a high speed rail line from there to anywhere you'd actually want to go.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

goldboilermark posted:

That would be so sick.

I call Reverse Mukden followed by the takeover of Manchaska.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
How would that even work? It'd be the biggest bridge in the world, and you'd have to start from Russia, which isn't exactly a great start for either country.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

TheBalor posted:

How would that even work? It'd be the biggest bridge in the world, and you'd have to start from Russia, which isn't exactly a great start for either country.

I was thinking tunnel

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

And then it dumps you off at a Hertz on the coast of western Alaska.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

goldboilermark posted:

That would be so sick.

China's gone full LaRouche. You never go full LaRouche.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MeramJert posted:

So you'd just get dropped off in the Aleutian Islands or something? There's no way the US would fund a high speed rail line from there to anywhere you'd actually want to go.

China said they would fund it if the countries (Canada, USA, Russia) helped with resources.

I think you'd end up in like Chicago, it showed it going through Canada.

Also, they would do a tunnel through the Bering Sea, I'm sure you guys can find an article about it. I'm sure I can too, in fact I already did this morning.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

more like the boring sea

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

kru posted:

more like the boring sea

It's true, the Bering sea is mostly shallow and flat.

Neutrally buoyant underwater tunnels are the way to go though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Aren't there some Chinese billionaires trying to build a Nicaraguan Canal?

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

goldboilermark posted:

That would be so sick.

It needs to start in Hong Kong and run not to the US, but to Hongcouver. Specifically Richmond.

:china::respek:[~~~caberstyle~~~]:respek::canada:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

computer parts posted:

Aren't there some Chinese billionaires trying to build a Nicaraguan Canal?

This is an awesome idea because the Chinese would be paying for fantastic American infrastructure that in the event of a Pacific War the US would walk in and take in one afternoon.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Ah yes, two days of old ladies hocking loogies into plastic bags, people spitting sunflower seeds on the floor, instant noodles, and people smoking in the bathroom.

Sign me up.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yesterday I did a problem-solving class with my students. Two very nice girls drew the problem of improving relations with Japan. (It was tarted up with some scenario but that was basically it.) Their presentation started with: "First, we think China doesn't have to do anything to be friends with Japan." They wanted the Diaoyu Islands and an apology for WWII, realistically, not terrible overreach in itself, but in exchange for nothing from the Chinese side.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Arglebargle III posted:

This is an awesome idea because the Chinese would be paying for fantastic American infrastructure that in the event of a Pacific War the US would walk in and take in one afternoon.

I can see two plausible scenarios

1. The "canal" is a mansion outside of Managua full of imported Chinese or Eastern European prostitutes
2. Hardline Sandanistas take over the government during the next recession/depression and nationalize the 5 miles of ditch they completed

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Arglebargle III posted:

Yesterday I did a problem-solving class with my students. Two very nice girls drew the problem of improving relations with Japan. (It was tarted up with some scenario but that was basically it.) Their presentation started with: "First, we think China doesn't have to do anything to be friends with Japan." They wanted the Diaoyu Islands and an apology for WWII, realistically, not terrible overreach in itself, but in exchange for nothing from the Chinese side.

What's wrong with this? Sometimes situations really are one-sided.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MeramJert posted:

wrong thread

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

That whole WWII Japan thing is all a myth you know. Seriously, can you imagine the Japanese ever wanting to invade a country with toilets like China's? What about Japanese men actually wanting to have sex with a woman at all, let alone a soiled rape victim?

Until I see fossilized Gundam prints I am simply not buying it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I think you'll find I used proper capitalization and punctuation.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
张昊阳:亲爱的朋友们大家好,又到了周末小喇叭广播时间了,今天教大家一个单词tit 是提特鸟的意思,因其叫声悦耳常被用来形容声音动听,口语中常用来称赞女生,nice tits你的声音好好听 great tits你的声音好棒哦,show me your tits让我听听你的声音,请大家学以致用哦。(via 谷大白话

So yeah, have a look at this professor of the English language.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
that owns i wonder how many people he will trick

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

That lesson gets my deep throated support.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MeramJert posted:

Lol

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.
If there's any HK goons around I'm in town until Wednesday just wandering around while getting drunk. I like this place a lot so far. People actually drink here, unlike Taiwan.

Also, do they really enforce the $25,000 fine for putting your trash next to the bin, not inside?

My number for the week is 9570 4119. Wechat is lokk111

lokk fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 10, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Tried calling number - out of service. sent you pm

God drat it, i was with another taiwan goon just now. Kenner, We had tacos and went to a beer bar.

Tomorrow we are going for pancakes. Come on out! Tentatively 1pm Central, Exit D1 surface side.

Going to give you a call.

We use wechat, we got a goon group and a hk goon group.

If we got enough dudes let's do dimsum.

caberham fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 10, 2014

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Can't beat burritos and beers. Caberham is truly a goonhosting legend.

lokk posted:

If there's any HK goons around I'm in town until Wednesday just wandering around while getting drunk. I like this place a lot so far. People actually drink here, unlike Taiwan.

Come to my university and discover our foreigners-drinking-in-front-of-Wellcome culture.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
So we ended up getting a big stack of candidate CVs from the ShanghaiExpat job fair a couple of days ago, but out of that list HR said only four are really qualified for Tech Editing. Of that four, only two of them have the relevant industry experience necessary to get a work visa approved, while the other two are iffy.

Question for you guys who are handling the hiring of teachers (I think there are at least three of you): Have you had any similar difficulty with this "2 years of experience in same industry" requirement? Maybe it's different for Foreign Expert Certificates compared to Alien Employment Permits, or maybe since most candidates are teachers applying for teaching positions it never becomes an issue.

I've had situations previously where a candidate refused the offer because of the risk that they may have their visa rejected after quitting their current job.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LentThem posted:

Question for you guys who are handling the hiring of teachers (I think there are at least three of you): Have you had any similar difficulty with this "2 years of experience in same industry" requirement? Maybe it's different for Foreign Expert Certificates compared to Alien Employment Permits, or maybe since most candidates are teachers applying for teaching positions it never becomes an issue.

I've had situations previously where a candidate refused the offer because of the risk that they may have their visa rejected after quitting their current job.

Have you gone through hiring people before? I/Our office have it down to a pretty good science and we are almost 100% certain who we will/will not be able to get through the process. We've actually never had a candidate that we've hired not been able to come over going back to the end of 2009...that's 9 hires in that time that we've worked our way through that weren't already over here.

The two years thing can be a bit...dodgy to work around but usually some crafty wording in a resume gets the job done. We have been able to sidestep that without much problem but we've never been able to get by the age restriction of 25. A few companies here do, like I know English First has hired people that are 22 and 23 on Z-visas and gotten them an RP, I've seen it, and I have no idea how they do it, because we are funneling government kids through our center on an annual basis and we still can't get that (at least to my knowledge).

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I got my work permit right after my 24th birthday, so it can be done.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you got it before 2010 or 2011 they are grandfathering you out.

source: My old roommate got his when he was 23 but the law changed in 2010 or 2011, don't remember which one, and he stayed here until 2013 on his RP.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I think I got mine in the summer of 2011. I was here illegally before that.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Everything got even harder since last summer beyond the age thing, they closed a lot of loopholes that used to exist.

I know a lot of my friends in Shanghai gottheir visas through weird agencies that forge documents and guanxi their way around. These aren't teachers, they're tech people who don't have the 5 years required for a visa, so a teacher would probably be easier to get since the requirements are lower.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

blinkyzero posted:

On a related note, I was really surprised last summer to find that the exchange rates for withdrawing RMB as USD in the States was so damned good. We were getting paid by the office over our vacation and I wanted to pull the salaries from our BoC accounts out to stash in our American bank. The PLUS network ATMs gave perfect exchange rates. I'd been prepared to get rooked.

What banks will work for this?

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
I use China Construction Bank and I always get good rates wherever I pull out local currency from my RMB account (USD, HKD, SGD, THB, CAD)

They do have a foreign transaction fee, but that can get waived if you have over a certain amount and gain VIP status.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

VideoTapir posted:

What banks will work for this?

Used bank of China and ICBC to pull out cash in the USA. Worked great, good rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

LentThem posted:

Question for you guys who are handling the hiring of teachers (I think there are at least three of you): Have you had any similar difficulty with this "2 years of experience in same industry" requirement?

Right here. I was blown sideways when one of the SAFEA officers actually read a CV we sent them. But only at the loving PAPER STAGE which meant that they had approved the candidate already electronically. FUCKFUCKFUCK. That was annoying.

I have known experience rather than age to be the thing which they check by the way.

Anyways, everything is local and YMMV based on whatever province you are in.

Speaking of which:

Question for Henan Goons: how many of you guys are or have been on multiple year RPs?