Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The Shrine of Amana is basically scrub litmus test. Complaining about it is a direct indication that you are bad at Dark Souls and probably games in general because thinking or adapting to circumstances are beyond your abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Please stop defending Shrine of Amana. Whether it's doable in a pure melee build or not, it's a terrible place and about as unfun as Dark Souls can get.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

kazil posted:

Please stop defending Shrine of Amana. Whether it's doable in a pure melee build or not, it's a terrible place and about as unfun as Dark Souls can get.

Did... did you go through the Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith in Dark Souls 1?

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Chomp8645 posted:

The Shrine of Amana is basically scrub litmus test. Complaining about it is a direct indication that you are bad at Dark Souls and probably games in general because thinking or adapting to circumstances are beyond your abilities.

Also, if this describes you, you should commit suicide, but not before murdering your entire extended family in order to prevent your Scrub Gamer genes from proliferating any further.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Chomp8645 posted:

Shrine of Anime is piss easy, but it's a loving slog and calling it well designed is really pushing it.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Is there ever a time where slashing weapons are better than striking or are maces just op? I finally decided to follow the thread's suggestion and try a mace after getting my poo poo ruined in Drangleic Castle and holy gently caress I'm just tearing through stuff now.

Striking damage is kinda OP, especially how they stagger larger enemies more reliably. Slashing weapons may have quicker/wider swings.

I feel the durability change made weapon balance more awkward. There's some weapons that seem to fall apart really drat fast if you don't connect with their sweet spots. Like I may lose 1-2 durability on an old knight using a bastard sword. But with a halberd I may lose about 3-5 durability.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

Ok, it's as unfun as Demon Runs/Lost Izalith. Point is, no matter how you do it's still a poo poo level.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
E: Reply is not edit.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kanos posted:

What? I hugged his left leg and stabbed him to death with daggers and punched him to death with cestus just fine on multiple occasions. :confused:

What the gently caress then, I gave up on my battlemage because the only thing I could wield that could hurt him from there was the fire longsword, and only one attack could do it.

e: On my other guy, will it be worth it to just two hand an ultra greatsword eventually and ditch shields entirely? How effective is blocking with the bigger weapons?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 10, 2014

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

kazil posted:

Ok, it's as unfun as Demon Runs/Lost Izalith. Point is, no matter how you do it's still a poo poo level.

I mean, I could see calling it the Lost Izalith of Dark Souls 2. That's understandable. But the only way it could possibly compare is if walking in the water hurt you. And if the water monsters were 10 stories tall. And there were 3 times as many of them. And you couldn't see poo poo because the bloom system was so hosed up it burnt out your retinas.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Shrine of Anime is piss easy, but it's a loving slog and calling it well designed is really pushing it.

I have to actual pay attention, this area is terrible >: (

Booya
Feb 17, 2012

Genocyber posted:

70.0% or less is fast roll, over that is fatroll (until you get over 100% at which point you have no roll). Never go above 70.0%. It's not worth keeping your equip load low because beyond fatroll vs. fast roll it only affects roll distance. Far more important to rolls is the Agi stat (Raised primarily by Adp, and to a lesser extent Att), which adds iframes to it (in addition to other useful things). Agi at 100 is a good amount, and based on your stats it looks like you have it.

Equip load also affects your stamina regen rate.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

And if you couldn't see poo poo because the bloom system was so hosed up it burnt out your retinas.

Well if you played with my brand new ENB mod which allows you to unleash the true graphical potential of Shrine of Amana

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

Everybody always says Izalith was oh so bad, but at least you could just run through it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

I mean, I could see calling it the Lost Izalith of Dark Souls 2. That's understandable. But the only way it could possibly compare is if walking in the water hurt you. And if the water monsters were 10 stories tall. And there were 3 times as many of them. And you couldn't see poo poo because the bloom system was so hosed up it burnt out your retinas.

You know, until this post, I was quite happy forgetting all of this...

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Everybody always says Izalith was oh so bad, but at least you could just run through it.

You can go through Amana in like 10 minutes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Is there any point in keeping giant souls once I've killed Vendrick? I might keep one so I have the full 5 on NG+ without having to fight the Dragon Shrine optional boss, but other than that I can just eat them, right?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I clearly need to play DS1 again after this since I apparently stopped before Lost Izalith. Good thing I picked it up on PC for like £2.50 during a steam sale

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Pierson posted:

Strength/Faith is a thing right? I think I'm about ready to be done with this pure int/faith character, it just isn't as fun as swinging a sword.

It's pretty goddamn amazing. Get yourself two Mace +10's and infuse one with lightning (leave the other one regular), the Defender Greatsword (from the Throne Defender soul) +5 lightning, your choice of other weapons (I also have the winged spear, zweihander, greatsword all at +10) infused with lightning. Your choice of bow, I used a shortbow until I could get the Bow of Want. Dragon Chime, infused with lightning (either do the pilgrims of the dark covenant stuff or kill the guy and he drops it). Sunbro until you have Sunlight Spear, trade in Velstadt's soul for Sacred Oath, pick up several copies of Great Lightning Spear and Emit Force, and at least one Great Magic Barrier. Also get Sunlight Blade, you can get at least two in a NG playthrough (one from Shrine of Anime I believe). Shield of your choice, up until last night I was swapping between a Tower Shield +7 (vs physical guys when I'm tanking with the redeye ring) and a Dark Rebel's Greatshield +8 (for pvp, 90%+ resistance to anything that matters), now I'm using Havel's.

Primary loadout for me is:
-Lightning Defender Greatsword +5 (two-handed L2 is a sunlight blade)
-Lightning Bow of Want +5 (two-handed L1 throws low-damage sunlight spears that aren't any more powerful than regular arrows but holy gently caress you're shooting sun spears how cool is that)
-Havel's/Tower/Rebel's Greatshield
-Lightning Dragon Chime +5 (best lightning chime in the game)
-Redeye ring/Bracing knuckle +2 (depending on if I'm summoned or not)
-Third dragon ring
-Cloranthy ring +1
-Southern ritual band +1

For spells: Great Magic Barrier, Sacred Oath, 2x Great Lightning Spear, Emit Force (invaders don't have a clue how good this is), Sunlight Blade (for when you switch to a different weapon), more lightning as you get more attunement

You will wreck the poo poo out of basically everything. For anything that's not a lion warrior you just pummel the poo poo out of it with your lightning weapons. For bosses you can just chuck lightning at them or tank their hits on your shield then hit back with your lightning greatsword. For PvP you buff with GMB, sacred oath, sunlight blade and switch to a shield that blocks magic/dark (also probably equip poisonbite ring just in case) and laugh as the invader's spells and poo poo fail to do anything to you.

This is a very, very, very strong sunbro build also, just equip the redeye ring and the only way your host will die is if he walks off a cliff.

If you haven't reached towards the end of the game yet just respec as you can, you will eventually want 40 strength (45 for havel's greatshield), 50 faith (for the dragon chime), 20 dex (for the bow of want), 25+ attunement (so you'll have enough slots with the ring to rack sacred oath etc), vigor/endurance obviously as much as you can, vitality enough to stay under 70% with this stuff + your armor. I use the Lewellyn set with the Dark Mask (because it looks fantastic with the redeye) so my armor is not a big encumbrance.

Rolling through NG+ with this build now and it's just tons of fun, I played a very similar build in DS1 and it honestly feels like the way the game was intended to be played primarily.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Is there any point in keeping giant souls once I've killed Vendrick? I might keep one so I have the full 5 on NG+ without having to fight the Dragon Shrine optional boss, but other than that I can just eat them, right?

Yes. They don't give many souls though, so I'd keep them just so you don't have to go through the other giant memories.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith were clearly unfinished, though. The only part of DS2 that I felt was rushed is the gutter+gulch, and at least those aren't broken, even if they're pretty much empty and super short.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
I went melee with enough faith to chuck some lightning spears and an upgraded bow, and Shrine wasn't really all that rough, after I stopped deciding to mash my face into the enemies and stood back sniping them with my bow. Its even practically required at one point, with the giant bug in the path that has the powder attack that reduces your durability. Just put a bow in one of your right hand slots and deal with the enemies from a range.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Cowcaster posted:

Yes and tomb of the giants, shrine of anime is up there but not exceeding lost izalith. The challenge of the level is in the level not the boss which is a nice change. It really makes me miss the rusted iron ring and the only time I've been frustrated with it is when I got invaded right before getting to the third bonfire then got destroyed by some hexer guy with a katana. However I don't think its worse than ancient dragon which is probably the worst thing in DS2.

Genocyber posted:

I have to actual pay attention, this area is terrible >: (

I think its more that the area is long and difficult with very little reward for completing it. That's not taking account of it being linear either.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 10, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith were clearly unfinished, though. The only part of DS2 that I felt was rushed is the gutter+gulch, and at least those aren't broken, even if they're pretty much empty and super short.

The gutter isn't empty tho? There's quite a number of enemies in it along with the poison statue. The gulch even moreso. And the gulch being short is one part of what makes the area great. That plus the shitton of enemies and poison statues packed in makes for a hectic area that's a lot fun.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Shrine of Amana is pretty objectively one of the worst designed levels in the series.

It pigeon holes you to a very stupid tactic to get through it and you can't just run past it, it goes against everything that makes the series great.

Sure it's easy if you do some stupid snipe-hide-snipe-hide bullshit but that's not why I pay this game dammit.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Lord Yod posted:

Rolling through NG+ with this build now and it's just tons of fun, I played a very similar build in DS1 and it honestly feels like the way the game was intended to be played primarily.

Can I get your stats list please? I want to use it as a guide to refit my STR/FAI build. I turned out to not enjoy powerstancing greatsword-class weapons after all and I have no need for 30 strength anymore.

I'm not terribly interested in the Curved Dragon Greatsword, I don't think. I don't know if it would work terribly well with a STR/FAI build anyhow.

Edit: I enjoyed the Shrine of Amana if only because the fights were hard but reasonably doable I think. Plus the area was loving GORGEOUS.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011

Except for the four bosses. Well I guess three if you ignore Ceaseless like I did.

Mr. Crow posted:

It pigeon holes you to a very stupid tactic to get through it and you can't just run past it, it goes against everything that makes the series great.

Yeah it basically forces you adapt a playstyle late game. Moonlight Butterfly in DS1 did this as well, but it was early so building around it actually helped you through the rest of the game.

Ice_Mallet fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 10, 2014

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScsme8didI

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Revol posted:

I want to check in again and get feedback on my character build.

First, I am having a hell of a time with the Smelter Demon. Even with Lucatiel tanking and a guest helping me, I can't withstand his fire attacks. His AOE fire attack is too much, and the fear of getting hit by it really hurts my ability to get into range to do damage to him. It's like I am at a stalemate. I changed up my gear to upgrade my fire defense: full Alonne Captain set, tower shielf, and Flame Quartz Ring. Am I hampering myself because I have been neglecting INT or FAI? Or will I not see a sizeable enough raise in defense for that? I figure I can go and raise INT or FAI for fire defense, sure, but what if I come across another boss, who would give me similar concerns due to Magic or Lightning, and I'm not prepared because I chose one stat over the other? Am I expected to put significant points into both stats?

I'm also curious about the burden thing. I'm sitting just over 80 percent now. If I remove a ring, I'm under 80. Is that a hard rule? My movements, my rolls, suddenly cut out at that number? (Or... wait, was it 70?) Or is it a gradual thing, and the idea is that this number is sort of the suggested magic number?

Beyond that, if I'm doing something stupid with my build, let me know.

Is there a use for the boss souls beyond cashing them in for their weapons? I just met Staid, and I don't think I'm going to go for any of the available items, perhaps a shield, that would be it. That being the case, should I go and just eat up all those souls now? Or is there something else coming that I can use these items for?

Stick an extra 5 points into attunement and grab Flash Sweat off the pyromancy woman. Use it when the Smelter either sets his stomach or sword on fire and it'll protect you against the worst of the fire damage.

Aside from that, the key to killing the Smelter as a sword and boarder is to simply know when to get stuck in and when to back the gently caress off. If he does his leaping attack, stay away, as you cannot tell if he's gonna do his AOE attack. Otherwise, once he's finished whatever combo attack he's going, give him a couple of smacks and no more! Back off with your shield down, let your stamina recharge, and wait for him to attack again before bringing your shield up. If he starts attacking while you're low on stamina you're hosed, so you need to allow for your stamina to recharge. If you try and rush it you'll die, since you're too slow to roll away. And if you're below half health, don't attack when he stops, chug an estus. Because even with Flash Sweat, a Tower Shield and any other fire defense, that damage adds up!

If I can do it at 95% weight with a bloody Zweihander, you can do it too :colbert:

For comparison, here is my build:

Although I normally run around like this:

MadJackMcJack fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 10, 2014

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Artificer posted:

Can I get your stats list please? I want to use it as a guide to refit my STR/FAI build. I turned out to not enjoy powerstancing greatsword-class weapons after all and I have no need for 30 strength anymore.

I'm not terribly interested in the Curved Dragon Greatsword, I don't think. I don't know if it would work terribly well with a STR/FAI build anyhow.

Edit: I enjoyed the Shrine of Amana if only because the fights were hard but reasonably doable I think. Plus the area was loving GORGEOUS.

The Curved Dragon Greatsword would probably do fine on a STR/FAI build, but there are better options. Look at its scaling, the thing's a Dex weapon.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mr. Crow posted:

Shrine of Amana is pretty objectively one of the worst designed levels in the series.

Sure it's easy if you do some stupid snipe-hide-snipe-hide bullshit but that's not why I pay this game dammit.

Shrine of Amana completion options:

- Archery

- Magic Resist

- Summoning someone

- The B button on the controller

- Literally anything but slowly approaching melee range while abstaining from rolling for religious reasons.

Hmm yes what a terrible zone that can only be completed by using obscure min/maxing approaches. Truly a crime against video games.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Genocyber posted:

Yes. They don't give many souls though, so I'd keep them just so you don't have to go through the other giant memories.

Thanks!

Booya
Feb 17, 2012
I don't understand why everyone is acting as if ranged is the only way to finish Amana, I went through mostly melee the first time and only died because my hosed up controller made me chug an estus instead of dodge. All of the enemies in Amana are weak as gently caress, and you can practically step on top of the little swamp monster guys before they aggro. One or two shot whatever swamp dudes are in your way, roll through the extremely slow moving spells, punch wizards. I thought Black Gulch was like, 10 times more annoying than Amana.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Just lost 90K souls because I just beat Velstadt and decide to hack and the "enemy" who I saw in the next room and then hosed up on the way back to my souls because I was in a hurry and forgot about the bellringer. :darksouls:

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 10, 2014

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Ok so I think I just found the King. Is he supposed to just... kinda be there? He is targetable and there are bloodstains around indicating there should be something to fight but all I could do is pick up an item and that was it. I can't damage the guy. I guess I have what I need to continue, but I feel I am missing something here. Any idea's?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

King of Solomon posted:

The Curved Dragon Greatsword would probably do fine on a STR/FAI build, but there are better options. Look at its scaling, the thing's a Dex weapon.

Its stat requirements are kinda wonky for that yeah. I have the bare minimums needed to wield it so I'm considering putting it on a Lightning Infusion. But it requires Dragonbones to upgrade and there's no easy source for those so.... I don't know if I'll ever get the chance to test it out in PvP.

Edit: ARE there good sources for Dragonbones?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

You can't run past the 3 boss fights and then the terrible gimmick boss at the very end.

Mindblast posted:

Ok so I think I just found the King. Is he supposed to just... kinda be there? He is targetable and there are bloodstains around indicating there should be something to fight but all I could do is pick up an item and that was it. I can't damage the guy. I guess I have what I need to continue, but I feel I am missing something here. Any idea's?

You need giant souls. He has crazy high defense but each giant's soul in your inventory decreases it. You can get a total of 5, 4 of which are pretty easy to get. You can't get them now though, so just come back later.

Vendrick is what I treat as this game's final boss. He's not really hard but the atmosphere at least makes it a nice fight, and the actual final boss has nothing going for it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Only watched like 5 minutes of this but this guy's trying to say the Belfry Gargoyle fight was bad.

Sorry, no. Gargoyle fight is great.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Cowcaster posted:

Chaos Servant shortcut. :smuggo:

Kidding aside, the Capra Demon gauntlet is genuinely one of my favourite parts of the game. It's the most satisfying thing to rip through a dozen of the bastards after running your head up against the Deeps boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cardiovorax posted:

Chaos Servant shortcut. :smuggo:

Grinding the 30 humanity required for that is just another kind of pain in the rear end.